ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Kings (Monday. 10PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Kings (Monday. 10PM EST) 

Post#81 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:06 am

leolozon wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
leolozon wrote:
I said whole game.

Once again : 31/50 vs 12/42.

You're talking like it's easy to get those 2 points attempts with that roster. RC tried with Boban, but whatever he did in offense was outdone in D. Powell basically needs double team on Luka to be effective, Kleber cannot do anything else except shooting 3, DFS the same, Brunson was bad, Melli and Green are afraid to shoot. Every time Luka got by defender they just dropped D and he was forced to pass out.

They still went 31/50, so it was possible. Funny that you used the word easy considering one of my point is that the team is taking the easy road.

Kleber was able to roll to the rim fine last year.

Their roster is built like that. No C with whatsoever post game. Kleber is shooting exactly the same % for 3 and 2, so you really don't want him to shoot for 2 at all. THJ is far the best as a spot-up shooter, less touches better he's. DFS needs to be totally open. Brunson the only one except Luka, who can create for himself and have midrange game too. But he was awful yesterday. Nba coaches are not stupid, they will clogged the paint every time, if open 3s are not falling and Mavs and Luka cannot do much about that. Open 3 is very good shot in Nba. Shooting them 25% is not Luka's or RC's fault.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#82 » by daoneandonly » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:17 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Maybe the obvious of avoiding a play in seed and missing the playoffs all together, thus giving the Knicks a chance in the lottery.

Who cares about Knicks? We should forget about that trade, it looks like lose/lose situation.

Yeah even linking that trade to our play is dumb and pointless doesn't surprise me who would be doing it

Yeah the guy who thinks we won that trade and should go all in on Demar Derozen, who's team has a negative net rating when he's on the court.

Its more than the Knicks Bob, if we can avoid the play in tourney where its lose and out, why the heck wouldn't you? But this guy asks why care about seeding?

Brunson has stunk ever since the team declared him untouchable. But no surprise there, same reason why I all of a sudden stopped getting packages I ordered after free stimulus money went out to people who didnt deserve them. You give guys like Brunsona nd Pinky any thing they dont deserve, and they'll stop giving any effort and be complacent.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#83 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:34 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Who cares about Knicks? We should forget about that trade, it looks like lose/lose situation.

Yeah even linking that trade to our play is dumb and pointless doesn't surprise me who would be doing it

Yeah the guy who thinks we won that trade and should go all in on Demar Derozen, who's team has a negative net rating when he's on the court.

Its more than the Knicks Bob, if we can avoid the play in tourney where its lose and out, why the heck wouldn't you? But this guy asks why care about seeding?

Brunson has stunk ever since the team declared him untouchable. But no surprise there, same reason why I all of a sudden stopped getting packages I ordered after free stimulus money went out to people who didnt deserve them. You give guys like Brunsona nd Pinky any thing they dont deserve, and they'll stop giving any effort and be complacent.

Brunson is very good as 6th man, who sometimes takeovers in 4th Q. Expectations for him to be 3rd option are of course unrealistic. Problem with Mavs this year is that they don't have good enough starters to enable Brunson to do things he can. How many good games had KP, Richardson? Not enough.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#84 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Yeah i said go all in on derozen, show me that post, typical circus response. Good job as usual
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#85 » by daoneandonly » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:41 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Yeah even linking that trade to our play is dumb and pointless doesn't surprise me who would be doing it

Yeah i said go all in on derozen, show me that post, typical circus response. Good job as usual

You know you said go after Derozen, cause he's such a difference maker. He sucks, all he has is a name and draft position, which is all you look at. Again, just in the last 3 years u wanted Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin, Carmelo Anthony, etc. WHy? because they have a name presence and were drafted hight. Not to mention your #1 reason, theyre black. I mean no wants to play with guys from Europe right? Remember u said that? or is that also made up?
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#86 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:49 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

You know you said go after Derozen, cause he's such a difference maker. He sucks, all he has is a name and draft position, which is all you look at. Again, just in the last 3 years u wanted Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin, Carmelo Anthony, etc. WHy? because they have a name presence and were drafted hight. Not to mention your #1 reason, theyre black. I mean no wants to play with guys from Europe right? Remember u said that? or is that also made up?

Saying sign a guy doesn't mean go all in, are you slow? Who tf cares about his name or draft position he's an elite and efficient scorer and elite playmaker for his position so yes id like him over thj only a fool wouldn't. The melo howard and Blake stuff was us dealing bad contracts for them so that doesn't dignify a response and there race having anything to do with it is absurd. I absolutely stand firm that white euro players aren't a draw for black American players and that won't change as there aren't any upper tier black players that have ever willingly changed teams to team up with a white euro or requested a trade to play with one. You've never made one solid point about anything so I'll refrain from engaging with you and brilliant basketball mind moving forward, good day
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#87 » by daoneandonly » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:55 pm

Demar Derozen and elite in the same sentence, yeah I'm done too, there's nothing there. Put me on ignore so we can pretend the other doesnt exist.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#88 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:57 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Yeah i said go all in on derozen, show me that post, typical circus response. Good job as usual

Saying sign a guy doesn't mean go all in, are you slow? Who tf cares about his name or draft position he's an elite and efficient scorer and elite playmaker for his position so yes id like him over thj only a fool wouldn't. The melo howard and Blake stuff was us dealing bad contracts for them so that doesn't dignify a response and there race having anything to do with it is absurd. I absolutely stand firm that white euro players aren't a draw for black American players and that won't change as there aren't any upper tier black players that have ever willingly changed teams to team up with a white euro or requested a trade to play with one. You've never made one solid point about anything so I'll refrain from engaging with you and brilliant basketball mind moving forward, good day

If that is true, Mavs should trade Luka for American players, who like to play together. They would get more or less anyone they want.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#89 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:59 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

If that is true, Mavs should trade Luka for American players, who like to play together. They would get more or less anyone they want.

Yeah that's a smart idea smh
Bob8
General Manager

Post#90 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:01 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Saying sign a guy doesn't mean go all in, are you slow? Who tf cares about his name or draft position he's an elite and efficient scorer and elite playmaker for his position so yes id like him over thj only a fool wouldn't. The melo howard and Blake stuff was us dealing bad contracts for them so that doesn't dignify a response and there race having anything to do with it is absurd. I absolutely stand firm that white euro players aren't a draw for black American players and that won't change as there aren't any upper tier black players that have ever willingly changed teams to team up with a white euro or requested a trade to play with one. You've never made one solid point about anything so I'll refrain from engaging with you and brilliant basketball mind moving forward, good day

Why not? You can get a fortune for Luka and then sign American buddies as FA.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#91 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:08 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Why not? You can get a fortune for Luka and then sign American buddies as FA.

Or you just build around your superstar via trades and win that way instead of pipe dream free agent chasing
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#92 » by leolozon » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:36 pm

Bob8 wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
You're talking like it's easy to get those 2 points attempts with that roster. RC tried with Boban, but whatever he did in offense was outdone in D. Powell basically needs double team on Luka to be effective, Kleber cannot do anything else except shooting 3, DFS the same, Brunson was bad, Melli and Green are afraid to shoot. Every time Luka got by defender they just dropped D and he was forced to pass out.

They still went 31/50, so it was possible. Funny that you used the word easy considering one of my point is that the team is taking the easy road.

Their roster is built like that. No C with whatsoever post game. Kleber is shooting exactly the same % for 3 and 2, so you really don't want him to shoot for 2 at all. THJ is far the best as a spot-up shooter, less touches better he's. DFS needs to be totally open. Brunson the only one except Luka, who can create for himself and have midrange game too. But he was awful yesterday. Nba coaches are not stupid, they will clogged the paint every time, if open 3s are not falling and Mavs and Luka cannot do much about that. Open 3 is very good shot in Nba. Shooting them 25% is not Luka's or RC's fault.

It still doesn't explain why they went 31/50 from 2 if it was so tough for them to do it and why in this particular game, it wasn't worth to do that a little more.

Kleber in 2020, less than 5 feet represented 74% of his FGA and he shot 65% which represents 43.5% from 3 (plus more FTs)...
Kleber in 2021, less than 5 feet represent 12% of his FGA (shooting worst at 55%, but it's an incredibly small sample size).

Think about that difference. 74% to 12%.
43.5% from 3 is something that no one other than Redick can do on that team, despite them shooting wide open shots.

It's not just what the other team gives them, it's clearly also by design.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#93 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:52 pm

leolozon wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
leolozon wrote:

It still doesn't explain why they went 31/50 from 2 if it was so tough for them to do it and why in this particular game, it wasn't worth to do that a little more.

Kleber in 2020, less than 5 feet represented 74% of his FGA and he shot 65% which represents 43.5% from 3 (plus more FTs)...
Kleber in 2021, less than 5 feet represent 12% of his FGA (shooting worst at 55%, but it's an incredibly small sample size).

43.5% from 3 is something that no one other than Redick can do on that team, despite them shooting wide open shots.

Because they couldn't get more decent 2-points opportunities. Kings were willingly risking open 3s. Teams have adapted to Luka's driving, he is not having easy layups anymore, even if he beats his defender someone is waiting for him. But again, you cannot shoot open 3s 25%, if you want to win. Luka was shooting difficult shots yesterday, but all other have very open looks all night long.

Forget stats. Do you watch how Kleber plays? He looks as a unskilled stiff everytime, when he wants to do something else than shooting open 3-pointer, that results in bad misses or TOs. I don't know the reason, but he looks very bad besides 3-point shooting and even that is not exactly on big volume, because he needs to be totally open.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#94 » by Archx » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:56 pm

leolozon wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
leolozon wrote:

To understand this better, you would have to go and look how many PnR's Maxi set up last season compared to this one.

Rick is playing the same predictable system every single game. It's just that against some opponents it works better than against others. But the difference is, if Mavs as a unit are cold from the long range, there is nothing you can do but hope that Luka will do his usual carry job.

I see a lot of people still haven't figure this one out but it's such a simple thing to understand. In order for some players to do better, you'd have to put them in completely different position to succeed. That goes for KP as well. The only guy who lately changed a bit his style of play is DFS, and he's doing much better, other guys are really hard to adjust if you expect anything more from them.
THJ for example, when you ask from him to be anything else than a simple spot up shooter, sucks big time, same goes for Jrich, he's horrible at initiating plays. Yet those two guys are being forced to be something they are not. Same goes for Maxi. He's dribbling and trying to make a smart pass way more than i ever remember from him. And it often results in a botched play. He's simply not that type of player.

Mavs have way too many SPECIFIC players who need specific job to suceed. Simple as that.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#95 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:09 pm

Archx wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

To understand this better, you would have to go and look how many PnR's Maxi set up last season compared to this one.

Rick is playing the same predictable system every single game. It's just that against some opponents it works better than against others. But the difference is, if Mavs as a unit are cold from the long range, there is nothing you can do but hope that Luka will do his usual carry job.

I see a lot of people still haven't figure this one out but it's such a simple thing to understand. In order for some players to do better, you'd have to put them in completely different position to succeed. That goes for KP as well. The only guy who lately changed a bit his style of play is DFS, and he's doing much better, other guys are really hard to adjust if you expect anything more from them.
THJ for example, when you ask from him to be anything else than a simple spot up shooter, sucks big time, same goes for Jrich, he's horrible at initiating plays. Yet those two guys are being forced to be something they are not. Same goes for Maxi. He's dribbling and trying to make a smart pass way more than i ever remember from him. And it often results in a botched play. He's simply not that type of player.

Mavs have way too many SPECIFIC players who need specific job to suceed. Simple as that.

To say that shortly, Mavs players don't have quality needed to win differently that shooting 3s. They don't have other playmaker than Luka, thay don't have anyone except maybe Brunson, who can create for himself and they don't have anyone except Luka to play in post. This is as limited roster as it gets.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#96 » by wolfram » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:29 am

leolozon wrote:When's the last time Luka put the team on his shoulder, said "I got this." and played a whole game at a MVP level like we all know he can?

Bad timing :lol:
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#97 » by leolozon » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:40 am

wolfram wrote:
leolozon wrote:When's the last time Luka put the team on his shoulder, said "I got this." and played a whole game at a MVP level like we all know he can?

Bad timing :lol:

How is it bad timing? I wasn't making a statement about the future. I wasn't saying that Luka can't do it, I was saying that he can.

You think I'm rooting against it? If anything, it's good timing.

Return to Dallas Mavericks