2021 Free Agency & Off-season

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: 2021 Free Agency & Off-season 

Post#41 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Sabonis makes almost triple what Boucher does, so the filler would be from Toronto, not us.

yes, and the player with the right sized deal is Hood who I don't think we need. maybe he goes to a third team.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#42 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:33 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Sabonis makes almost triple what Boucher does, so the filler would be from Toronto, not us.

yes, and the player with the right sized deal is Hood who I don't think we need. maybe he goes to a third team.

Well, it’s really easy to figure out if Lowry signs elsewhere. If so, Toronto will just waive Baynes and Hood for their non guarantees, and would have cap space to absorb the salary difference while keeping rights on Trent.

But if they can’t use cap, wed be stuck eating either Hood or Baynes in a deal to match salaries. I think we’d prefer the cap space and better ability to re sign TJ and Or Doug.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#43 » by Topofthekey » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:39 pm

Tom White wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:And Lowry doesn't fit our timeline

I swear I'm not picking on you when I say this (cause many others have said the same thing) but -

We have a timeline?

A timeline to where or what?

This team would be much better served to focus on talent before focusing on age group. Yes, ideally, you try to get a convergence of both. That doesn't seem to be working out very well right now though. Doesn't focusing on an age group also lend itself to having more second (or even third) contracts come due at the same time?

Or maybe I'm just nuts?

I don't disagree

But at 35, it feels like Lowry might be retiring in the next 2 or 3 years, if that

He's better suited to joining a contender, rather than a team that is currently not going anywhere

Having said that, getting a solid vet like Lowry is never a terrible thing, but not if the cost is Myles Turner
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:50 pm

Tom White wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:And Lowry doesn't fit our timeline

I swear I'm not picking on you when I say this (cause many others have said the same thing) but -

We have a timeline?

A timeline to where or what?

This team would be much better served to focus on talent before focusing on age group. Yes, ideally, you try to get a convergence of both. That doesn't seem to be working out very well right now though. Doesn't focusing on an age group also lend itself to having more second (or even third) contracts come due at the same time?

Or maybe I'm just nuts?

Age isn’t as huge a number in general. But Lowry is 35 and finishing his 15th season. That’s different from acquiring a 32 or 33 year old. I’d reasonably expect Lowry to retire any season now. The odds are well above 50/50 that he would retire in any given offseason going forward. And, If I have to hand him a 2/50 or 2/60 contract and pay that out, I don’t want to be the one holding the bag when he finally loses that last step, or the injuries hit hard, which their statistically likely to.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#45 » by Tom White » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:49 pm

Guys, my response about the timeline was really not directed at Lowry as much as it was about the idea of a timeline in general. I just think over the years people have put too much emphasis on the idea. Having a few "seasoned" veterans wouldn't hurt this team a bit.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:00 pm

Tom White wrote:Guys, my response about the timeline was really not directed at Lowry as much as it was about the idea of a timeline in general. I just think over the years people have put too much emphasis on the idea. Having a few "seasoned" veterans wouldn't hurt this team a bit.

Sure. But I think most people would agree we don’t fit a single timeline. We range from 25-29 in terms of core guys, so bets aren’t bad at all.

I think the comments were mostly in terms Lowry’s extreme age. Clearly, he would fit more of a “must win a championship now” kind of team. You can’t “plan for next year or the year after” with him, specifically.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#47 » by 8305 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:34 am

Wizop wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:Raptor fan, what would you guys want from us to take Turner off your hands?

if we break up Turner/Sabonis, we're more likely to move Sabonis as we need GTurner's defense. Sabonis for Boucher and a pick swap? might need filler. Lamb or Aaron Holiday could be added from our side.

Turner for Boucher and Toronto’s 2021 1st makes sense to me. This assumes the Raps don’t score in the lottery andwe might have to absorb some dead salary to make this happen. Not the end of the world for me. There are some interesting guys between 6 and 15 and who knows how far up a team could move packaging a couple late lottery picks.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by Topofthekey » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:29 pm

8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:Raptor fan, what would you guys want from us to take Turner off your hands?

if we break up Turner/Sabonis, we're more likely to move Sabonis as we need GTurner's defense. Sabonis for Boucher and a pick swap? might need filler. Lamb or Aaron Holiday could be added from our side.

Turner for Boucher and Toronto’s 2021 1st makes sense to me. This assumes the Raps don’t score in the lottery andwe might have to absorb some dead salary to make this happen. Not the end of the world for me. There are some interesting guys between 6 and 15 and who knows how far up a team could move packaging a couple late lottery picks.

I'm not very keen on Boucher personally

He looks like one of those guys who randomly has a great season or two before fading back to mediocrity

Plus he's up for an extension/new contract soon. I don't want to be the guy to overpay him based on his one or two good season and be left holding the bag when/if the bubble pops
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#49 » by Wizop » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:33 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I'm not very keen on Boucher personally

wouldn't be my first choice 4 either, but Bjorkgren has coached him so I wouldn't second guess his decision to want him . . . or not.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Topofthekey » Sun May 2, 2021 3:52 pm

I think I like a second unit lineup that features Aaron, Sumner, and Stanley

Three young cubs running and attacking together in a pack, feels fun to watch

Imagine it. Aaron leading the charge in transition, with both Sumner and Stanley running with him

I'd like to see that lineup at least a dozen possessions or so each game

They can re-sign TJ and have him play 20 backup minutes or so each game, but Bjorkgren should still try to find stretches in games where he can put in all three of Aaron and Sumner and Stanley and give them free rein to ball how they want
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Topofthekey » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:37 pm

I'm warming up to the idea of acquiring Russell Westbrook

Mainly due to the effect that Chris Paul has had on the Suns and their players

Suns transformed from a lottery team to one win away from going to the finals

Ayton credited Chris Paul with having the biggest impact on his career so far

I am wondering, would Westbrook have a similar impact on the Pacers and their players?
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by Tom White » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:20 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I'm warming up to the idea of acquiring Russell Westbrook

What makes you think the Wizards would trade him? After all, they showed a lot of improvement this year, and will have a new coach coming in as well. I don't see them being interested in dumping what worked for them.

Besides, who on our roster could they possibly have any interest in? Remember, they kicked our butts up one side and down the other in the play-in game. Ooooh! I think we should grab a couple players off that team we just demolished and send them an all-star level player in return!
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#53 » by Pacercoltboiler » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:03 pm

I'm starting to see things like this: Three good starting pieces. In another thread, Carlisle is thought to be high on Myles. Warren would be a good starting forward if you don't see him as a future health risk, and we have at least one wing with either LeVert or Brogdon. I can't see one of LeVert/Brogdon willing to come off the bench, and they would cost too much anyway. Starting both as wings would seem like a defensive disaster. It looks to me like we need a PG and another forward. I'd love to get Derrick Rose to play a few minutes and close out games, and I am curious about Cameron Payne. In the draft, I've seen nausiating projections like Wagner and Krispert at our slot. I'd love to trade up for a guy like Moody. An athletic shooter with a 7 foot wingspan. It is a crime where they are projecting him, as low as 8. The other option is to try to get a veteran, and a trade down with the 13th. Some later guys like McBride, Ayayi, Duarte, and Hyland look interesting. It would be nice to get two of them.
PG - Payne
SG - LeVert
SF - Moody
PF -Warren
C - Turner
That would be a much more athletic group than we have now, and a ton of scorers.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#54 » by Tom White » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:33 pm

Pacercoltboiler wrote:I am curious about Cameron Payne.

I would have the same question as I had in the Westbrook post. Why would the Suns let go of him? Good talent on a cheap rookie contract. Why would they let him go, and who on our roster could they possibly want?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:07 am

Tom White wrote:

I would have the same question as I had in the Westbrook post. Why would the Suns let go of him? Good talent on a cheap rookie contract. Why would they let him go, and who on our roster could they possibly want?

Cam Payne will be an unrestricted free agent with 6 years of NBA service, and Phoenix will have Early bird rights. However, they will have no contractual control over him. If Indy were to offer him their full MLE, that’s the most we could offer, though Phoenix would be able to pay him a little more with their Early Bird rights they have on him.

As for Westbrook, I could live with acquiring him, for sure. The only problem is that to match salaries in a trade and not take on luxury tax, we’d have to send out 2 of our major contracts in Brogdon, Levert, Turner, and Sabonis, and still also have to add in one of Lamb or Warren. I like Westbrook, but I don’t think I’d do Levert/Turner/Lamb for him, and even doing that leaves us closer to the luxury tax, and now having around $10m total to fill 4 remaining roster spots, meaning it’s highly unlikely we could keep either of TJ or Doug. In all likelihood, we’d have to send out 3 of our big deal, just to make things work. Brogdon/Levert/Sabonis for Westbrook makes less sense.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:29 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Cam Payne will be an unrestricted free agent with 6 years of NBA service, and Phoenix will have Early bird rights. However, they will have no contractual control over him. If Indy were to offer him their full MLE, that’s the most we could offer, though Phoenix would be able to pay him a little more with their Early Bird rights they have on him.

As for Westbrook, I could live with acquiring him, for sure. The only problem is that to match salaries in a trade and not take on luxury tax, we’d have to send out 2 of our major contracts in Brogdon, Levert, Turner, and Sabonis, and still also have to add in one of Lamb or Warren. I like Westbrook, but I don’t think I’d do Levert/Turner/Lamb for him, and even doing that leaves us closer to the luxury tax, and now having around $10m total to fill 4 remaining roster spots, meaning it’s highly unlikely we could keep either of TJ or Doug. In all likelihood, we’d have to send out 3 of our big deal, just to make things work. Brogdon/Levert/Sabonis for Westbrook makes less sense.

What if we asked for Hachimura as well?

Domas + Brogdon + LeVert/Lamb for Westbrook + Hachimura
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#57 » by 8305 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:51 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

In my opinion trading for Westbrook and his contract would be akin to
McGinnes for English
Tom Owens for an unprotected 1st round pick
Trading down to take Rick Robey rather thank taking Larry Bird
All short sighted trades, that impatient poorly run teams make.

I"m probably being a little extreme here but, you should get paid for taking on a bad contract. In this case we are giving up real value for one.
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#58 » by Guzman_9 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:11 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

To me thats way too much for value we are giving. An allstar and CJ McCollum level player plays a 20 pt scorer in Levert for a 30+ year old Westbrook and a decent PF.
Pacer Fan. 8-)
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Post#59 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:03 pm

I agree Westbrook would cost too much in assets. Lillard is rumored to be unhappy with Billups hiring but I imagine he wouldn’t want to play here and would cost even more in assets from proposed trade scenarios being floated around currently.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Post#60 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:27 pm

I’m guessing the Pacers will not make a huge move this year and use this upcoming season to evaluate what they have in the current players instead of breaking up the team for a rebuild around a superstar acquisition. This could even mean not resigning McConnell and McDermott.

If the Pacers want to sign a free agent there’s more options available in 2022 and at that time Warren, Lamb, Bitadze, Sumner, and Martin are all listed as free agents for the Pacers also.

Return to Indiana Pacers