ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,653

Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA 

Post#1 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:26 pm

Ujiri is apparently going to see what the market values him at, which is scary for most fans. No earth shattering news here but MLSE seemingly should be able to match any offers. The question is will they. They should is all I know.

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/toronto-raptors-masai-ujiri-may-have-offers-outside-of-north-america

The biggest free agent of all this summer could very well be Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri. The 50-year-old former executive of the year and NBA champion is wrapping up the final year of his contract with the Raptors and has repeatedly said he'll deal with his contract following the season.

While it would reportedly take an "overwhelming offer" to pry Ujiri loose, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be an NBA job, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

"What's going to be interesting to watch with Ujiri's future is he's positioned himself not just as an NBA executive, but I think as a global sports executive," Wojnarowski said. "I think the options that may be available to him are going to be beyond the NBA, maybe even beyond North America.

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/toronto-raptors-masai-ujiri-overwhelming-offer

"It is widely presumed in league circles that only an overwhelming offer in a highly desirable market could lure him away from the influence and affection he has amassed in Toronto," Stein reported Tuesday.

That should be a relatively relieving report for Raptors fans who have feared Toronto could lose its president this summer, however it likely won't mark the end of those concerns.

Stein is also reporting that people around the league have wondered if Ujiri would be willing to eventually leave Toronto for Seattle if an expansion team were ever to return to the city. The group currently heading the expansion efforts is lead by former MLSE executive Tim Leiweke, who hired Ujiri to be the Raptors general manager in 2013.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,371

Re: Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA 

Post#2 » by phanman » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:31 pm

Woj still working overtime to get Masai out of Toronto. :lol:
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,582

Re: Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA 

Post#3 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:34 pm

"What's going to be interesting to watch with Ujiri's future is he's positioned himself not just as an NBA executive, but I think as a global sports executive," Wojnarowski said. "I think the options that may be available to him are going to be beyond the NBA, maybe even beyond North America.

Stein is also reporting that people around the league have wondered if Ujiri would be willing to eventually leave Toronto for Seattle if an expansion team were ever to return to the city. The group currently heading the expansion efforts is lead by former MLSE executive Tim Leiweke, who hired Ujiri to be the Raptors general manager in 2013.

So......Woj speculating on his own and people around the league "wondering".
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,435

Post#4 » by KrazyP » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:35 pm

Personally, I think a guy like Masai Ujiri could potentially do a better job running Ontario or even Canada for that matter than the politicians we currently have in charge.

Our current Prime Minister is a Drama Teacher.
Our current Minister of Finance is a journalist and an expert in Russian Literature.
Our current Health Minister has no background outside of running homeless shelters in Thunder Bay.
Our former Minister of Technology was an Accountant.

It doesnt take much to succeed in modern day politics.

Masai's potential to be a political giant either here or elsewhere is huge.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#5 » by Pooh_Jeter » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:42 pm

When you have this many options to choose from I just don't see how staying in Toronto and dealing with the current situation is all that desirable. It's probably why he put so many eggs in the Giannis basket. Building a potential dynasty would get the juices flowing.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Post#6 » by Mack11 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:58 pm

"Masai is positioning himself for jobs outside the NBA but dont be surprised to see him end up in the midst of the Clippers front office as they were and always will be the favorites...was that good, Steve?" - WOJ BOMB
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#7 » by Metallikid » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:58 pm

KrazyP wrote:Personally, I think a guy like Masai Ujiri could potentially do a better job running Ontario or even Canada for that matter than the politicians we currently have in charge.

Our current Prime Minister is a Drama Teacher.
Our current Minister of Finance is a journalist and an expert in Russian Literature.
Our current Health Minister has no background outside of running homeless shelters in Thunder Bay.
Our former Minister of Technology was an Accountant.

It doesnt take much to succeed in modern day politics.

Masai's potential to be a political giant either here or elsewhere is huge.

Our Health Minister is a POS.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,762

Post#8 » by TrustFundBaby » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:00 pm

If he leaves, then it's most likely for the opportunity to further develop NBA Africa as one of the bigger voices or something along those lines

I do think there's a solid chance he's gone, but not to WAS/NYK. Like Woj said it's something likely beyond North America
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#9 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:01 pm

I still think it's Seattle.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,934

Post#10 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:04 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:

So......Woj speculating on his own and people around the league "wondering".

Leiweke was openly talking about this with Michael Grange a few months ago.

Masai definitely should be working the levers to get paid. He's making less than Aaron Baynes this year.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#11 » by MixxSRC » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:05 pm

Too much smoke at this point lol
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,561

Post#12 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:11 pm

So the post says that it would take an over the top offer of more than money, to get him to leave. He has too much political and autonomy here to leave for another NBA position. If he has aspirations outside of basketball, then all the power to him. He'll stay though if basketball is still on his mind. NBA africa is still something he can do from our president chair

In Raptor Ball I Trust
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,254

Post#13 » by SurgeIblocka » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:18 pm

He gone
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#14 » by KL78192020 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:24 pm

ok so what is the exact job? There is nothing outside of the NBA that gives him a bigger platform. Still don't see a real job that he could go to other than rumours.

Whats so great about Masai compared to Riley/Pop who weren't afforded these amazing opportunities outside of the NBA?
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,891

Post#15 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:24 pm

Typical negotiations. I suspect he wants equity somehow. Our draft pick requires someone who is committed long term.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,236

Post#16 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:32 pm

SurgeIblocka wrote:He gone

...don't forget to add Lowry.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,561

Post#17 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:36 pm

KL78192020 wrote:ok so what is the exact job? There is nothing outside of the NBA that gives him a bigger platform. Still don't see a real job that he could go to other than rumours.

Whats so great about Masai compared to Riley/Pop who weren't afforded these amazing opportunities outside of the NBA?

Maybe because they don't have any interest in anything else. I'm sure coach pop could do some humanitarian work outside of the NBA if he wanted to and would be afforded a platform somewhere to do nicely.

I agree tho, he could do both depending on what his aspirations actually are.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#18 » by Mikistan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:37 pm

Tim Leiweke is gonna get Seattle a franchise easily - that guy was the true vision behind hiring GM Masai, getting the Toronto All-star game and the Biosteel expansion / 905 Raptors team coming in

Unreal
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#19 » by howlin mad axer » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:39 pm

How well do jobs with the UN pay?
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#20 » by Danny1616 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:41 pm

Mikistan wrote:Tim Leiweke is gonna get Seattle a franchise easily - that guy was the true vision behind hiring GM Masai, getting the Toronto All-star game and the Biosteel expansion / 905 Raptors team coming in

Unreal

The question is when will that happen.

Right now Seattle is getting a hockey team in 2021. There is no information that an NBA team is returning at this moment. I would guess if that happens it won't be for at least another 3-5 years.

So the answer is no - Masai at this moment is not joining Tim in Seattle after this season. Could it happen one day? Sure.

Return to Toronto Raptors