ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,909

Re: Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA 

Post#41 » by lolwut » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:15 pm

Metallikid wrote:
lolwut wrote:
KrazyP wrote:Personally, I think a guy like Masai Ujiri could potentially do a better job running Ontario or even Canada for that matter than the politicians we currently have in charge.

Our current Prime Minister is a Drama Teacher.
Our current Minister of Finance is a journalist and an expert in Russian Literature.
Our current Health Minister has no background outside of running homeless shelters in Thunder Bay.
Our former Minister of Technology was an Accountant.

It doesnt take much to succeed in modern day politics.

Masai's potential to be a political giant either here or elsewhere is huge.

The problem with western societies nowadays is that the smartest and most competent people in the population don't want to work in politics. You're typically left with bottom of the barrel candidates running the country.

How many kids grow up aspiring to work for the Ministry of Health rather than, say, Google?

Kids don't grow up aspiring to "work" for anyone. Kids grow up aspiring to do a job or have a certain role in society.

Once upon a time kids usually said they wanted to have meaningful occupations that helps people. Now a lot of kids just want to be seen as cool.

Often times they end up doing what they want to do at one of the big corporations rather than the public sector. For example, a kid grows up being passionate about mobile app development and ends up working at Facebook to design Instagram filters. This is a more probable career path than ending up in the government.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Re: Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA 

Post#42 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:15 pm

i always thought hed outgrow the NBA one day, not surprised if he leaves for bigger things
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,331

Post#43 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:16 pm

Silver has said the NBA expansion isn't happening anytime soon. The owners don't want to split revenue with another couple teams. Their piece of the pie would just get smaller with 32 teams.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#44 » by Asif16 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:17 pm

If Masai leaves....it's def going to be something related to NBA Africa.

He's not going to a different NBA organization. I'm almost 100% sure on that.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,046

Post#45 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:20 pm

I think Masai re-ups for 4 more years. Tries to win another chip then bounces to Seattle with Leiweke
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,046

Post#46 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:22 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Silver has said the NBA expansion isn't happening anytime soon. The owners don't want to split revenue with another couple teams. Their piece of the pie would just get smaller with 32 teams.

That may change with losses due to covid. Silver and Owners could expand with 2 teams and get a combined franchise price of $2 billion.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#47 » by KL78192020 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:31 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:Think it's pretty clear that he wants an ownership stake. The Seattle group will definitely bring him into the partnership. MLSE needs to step up. The problem is that the hockey guys may then want a similar deal but Masai is different. They should elevate him to an MLSE officer role and give him some stake. He's earned it.

When was the Seattle team approved?
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#48 » by MixxSRC » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:32 pm

KL78192020 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:Think it's pretty clear that he wants an ownership stake. The Seattle group will definitely bring him into the partnership. MLSE needs to step up. The problem is that the hockey guys may then want a similar deal but Masai is different. They should elevate him to an MLSE officer role and give him some stake. He's earned it.

When was the Seattle team approved?

LOL yeah time for Masai's new contract is soon but what's the timeline on NBA Expansion?
KL78192020
RealGM

Post#49 » by KL78192020 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:33 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Silver has said the NBA expansion isn't happening anytime soon. The owners don't want to split revenue with another couple teams. Their piece of the pie would just get smaller with 32 teams.

That may change with losses due to covid. Silver and Owners could expand with 2 teams and get a combined franchise price of $2 billion.

It would still be a blip for an NBA team. A one time payment of $66 million per team isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, where as future earnings from a new TV deal would be worth more to each team with fewer teams. Price tag for a new team should be at least $2 billion each.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,850

Post#50 » by VancouverRaps » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:34 pm

The best remedy for that is a big fat expansion fee though, that's why NHL owners were more than happy to let Vegas and Seattle join revenue sharing.
We the Champs
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#51 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:35 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:

Cuban addressed this in one of the pods. He said it's more advantageous for them to just get a cheap loan than to split the pie into 32 from 30.

I think it's more likely a team relocates to Seattle than expansion.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,160

Post#52 » by Tofubeque » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:38 pm

Maybe if Masai leaves, Woj can finally get a source inside the Raptors. He probably thinks it's worth a shot.
props Turbozone
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#53 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:39 pm

NUCKER101 wrote:

The best remedy for that is a big fat expansion fee though, that's why NHL owners were more than happy to let Vegas and Seattle join revenue sharing.
Expansion for the NHL makes more sense because their US TV deals are nowhere close in size compared to the NBAs so the expansion fee actually makes a difference for them.

A one time payment of 60 million for a NBA team isn't a lot when they're splitting that TV deal with another couple teams every year.
KL78192020
RealGM

Post#54 » by KL78192020 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:41 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
NUCKER101 wrote:

Expansion for the NHL makes more sense because their US TV deals are nowhere close in size compared to the NBAs so the expansion fee actually makes a difference for them.

A one time payment of 60 million for a NBA team isn't a lot when they're splitting that TV deal with another couple teams every year.

Yea the NHL TV deal is trash, only about $400 million a year whereas the NBA is $2.7 Billion. Not even close, NHL teams need all the money they can get. The new NBA deal is rumored to be $7 billion, better to share that with 30 teams instead of 32.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#55 » by Ell Curry » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:53 pm

My sense is Masai is a liberal so I wouldn't be for him (I do a lot of homelessness mutual aid and organizing work here and not through a faith group so like 99% of us I'm far left), but he could certainly win the mayoral election here in Toronto.

But there's probably better jobs available.
Where's the D?
Slade3
Sixth Man
And1: 804

Post#56 » by Slade3 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:54 pm

lolwut wrote:
KrazyP wrote:Personally, I think a guy like Masai Ujiri could potentially do a better job running Ontario or even Canada for that matter than the politicians we currently have in charge.

Our current Minister of Finance is a journalist and an expert in Russian Literature.
Our current Health Minister has no background outside of running homeless shelters in Thunder Bay.

The problem with western societies nowadays is that the smartest and most competent people in the population don't want to work in politics. You're typically left with bottom of the barrel candidates running the country.

How many kids grow up aspiring to work for the Ministry of Health rather than, say, Google?

That's because kids don't even know that job exists. They know Google from their phone. Me, I would easily take the Health Minister job over Google.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,461

Post#57 » by DG88 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:59 pm

The only thing I got out of that article is people are speculating. They have no clue what Ujiri wants to do. Right now all we know is that once the season is over Ujiri and MLSE will talk about a new contract. If things fall apart he'll look at other opportunities.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,043

Post#58 » by Westside Gunn » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:02 pm

And who voted these policymakers in? The people. When people are idiots, they will elect idiots. Today all you need is charisma. No competence.

You can put Masai in the candidacy but if the general population doesn't understand the core issues but are looking for free daycare, gender neutrality or legal weed, they will ignore everything else that impacts the country to vote for the promise they want.

I really hope Masai stays or takes Liweke's role. Did they find Liweke's replacement yet?
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#59 » by Bruin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:09 pm

If he really is gone, he should at least bless us with a high pick before he dips. Ruining our chance at a star for a play-in to just get swept and then leave the team would be devastating
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,972

Post#60 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:10 pm

brownbobcat wrote:Chrystia Freeland graduated from Harvard, has a Master's degree, is a tri-lingual Rhodes Scholar, held various senior editor and foreign bureau chief posts, has authored 2 books on Russian economics (including one which won numerous national prizes), and successfully served as Minister of International Trade and Minister of Foreign Affairs.

"Journalist" and "Literature expert" is really underselling it.

Yes, I was very impressed with how Freeland handled the NAFTA renegotiation in uh, "trying" circumstances. If Trudeau himself was half-way competent, the unexpectedly excellent result of that process should have led to a second majority government.

I'm not sure Freeland has the charisma to lead the Liberals to victory. But she should continue in a Paul Martin "power behind the throne" mode. Her and Nenshi (as leader) would make a good team.

Return to Toronto Raptors