ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 62: Dallas Mavericks (33-27) @ Golden State Warriors (31-30) - 9:30PM

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,701

Re: Game 62: Dallas Mavericks (33-27) @ Golden State Warriors (31-30) - 9:30PM 

Post#101 » by whatisacenter » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:31 pm

At this point in a truncated season it is no surprise that they did not practice while they are playing every other day. Most teams don’t practice a lot during a regular season.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,295

Post#102 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:03 pm

I just think the team was gassed. Curry and wiggs are near 40 minutes a night and the team has been without 2 rotation guys in lee and baze.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#103 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:19 pm

We should tank the rest of the way, the play in games are clownery
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
TwoStarz
Analyst
And1: 1,842

Post#104 » by TwoStarz » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:54 pm

whatisacenter wrote:At this point in a truncated season it is no surprise that they did not practice while they are playing every other day. Most teams don’t practice a lot during a regular season.

To not practice is okay but no shoot around either? It showed with guys out of all sorts of rhythm. That was a pathetic performance from top down, and it always starts at the top.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#105 » by TB » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:39 pm

I obviously have zero clue what their normal practice schedule is like. But from what i'm reading, it seems like they cancelled any actual practices at the gym outside of game-day stuff (morning shootaround etc). This would mean the players time to go over the scouting/gameplan would be done at morning shootaround and via ipad scouting reports that every player gets for every game/team.

The problem there could be that the younger players really need to be in the gym or film room with coaches walking through those schemes as opposed to just having the info available to them or cramming it in on gameday.

Again, i'm just speculating, but if my guess is correct, i'm assuming Kerr will add back those practices and just have them be film sessions and walkthroughs rather than gym/running etc to keep everyone fresh.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,303

Post#106 » by Sleepy51 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:58 pm

I would imagine that this might be related to getting Curry off of his ankle for as much time as they could. I mean I guess you could call a practice and not have Curry participate, but that could be viewed as unproductive as well. I think they see Juan T playing with a second concussion they are hiding, Curry playing on a bad wheel and Bazemore going to Qannon rallies and they decided to just err on the side of caution and maximize rest during a stretch of the season where players are dropping like flies around the league
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#107 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:15 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:I would imagine that this might be related to getting Curry off of his ankle for as much time as they could. I mean I guess you could call a practice and not have Curry participate, but that could be viewed as unproductive as well. I think they see Juan T playing with a second concussion they are hiding, Curry playing on a bad wheel and Bazemore going to Qannon rallies and they decided to just err on the side of caution and maximize rest during a stretch of the season where players are dropping like flies around the league

it's probably either that, or 8x champion Steve Kerr is an idiot!
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#108 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:23 pm

HiRez wrote:
TwoStarz wrote:[tweet]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[\tweet]

Yes, let’s give this team a week off. You know, cause their performance has been so stellar and we have such high IQ players that can be just plug and play. Smart move Kerr

Um...and it's not extremely draining for the other 29 teams? I mean WTF is that? That really sounds like someone who doesn't give a rat's ass if they make the playoffs or not. When they are right on the edge of being in or out, every game counts. Dallas played LAST NIGHT, and probably practiced last week, but we're the tired team?

This really doesn't bother me that much. For most teams, midseason practice is really more walkthrough and prep on scheme than it is any physical work. That prep and walkthrough stuff should, in theory, be something you can do pre-game or with documents/files etc. The reality is that this team very likely is exhausted and it's shown in the three games. We have... basically 8 rotation players available right now with Lee and Baze in Covid protocols. Mannion and Smiley suck and are non-factors. GPIII is a ten day contract player. We've spent about half a month going small ball and putting a high level of strain on Draymond, Looney, and JTA.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#109 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:48 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
HiRez wrote:
TwoStarz wrote:[tweet]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[\tweet]

Yes, let’s give this team a week off. You know, cause their performance has been so stellar and we have such high IQ players that can be just plug and play. Smart move Kerr

Um...and it's not extremely draining for the other 29 teams? I mean WTF is that? That really sounds like someone who doesn't give a rat's ass if they make the playoffs or not. When they are right on the edge of being in or out, every game counts. Dallas played LAST NIGHT, and probably practiced last week, but we're the tired team?

This really doesn't bother me that much. For most teams, midseason practice is really more walkthrough and prep on scheme than it is any physical work. That prep and walkthrough stuff should, in theory, be something you can do pre-game or with documents/files etc. The reality is that this team very likely is exhausted and it's shown in the three games. We have... basically 8 rotation players available right now with Lee and Baze in Covid protocols. Mannion and Smiley suck and are non-factors. GPIII is a ten day contract player. We've spent about half a month going small ball and putting a high level of strain on Draymond, Looney, and JTA.

Small ball is terrible on players health. Nash is the only one who made it for the long term . He was a beneath the basket player and rarely left his two feet.

The goal for this year is to keep everyone healthy for next year when Klay comes back. It’s too late to tank, so might as well pace themselves to a low playoff position.
TB
General Manager

Post#110 » by TB » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:I would imagine that this might be related to getting Curry off of his ankle for as much time as they could. I mean I guess you could call a practice and not have Curry participate, but that could be viewed as unproductive as well. I think they see Juan T playing with a second concussion they are hiding, Curry playing on a bad wheel and Bazemore going to Qannon rallies and they decided to just err on the side of caution and maximize rest during a stretch of the season where players are dropping like flies around the league

:lol: :lol: :lol:
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#111 » by shazam_guy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:57 pm

Keep Mulder and Lee, throw out Poole? What team exactly have you folks been watching?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#112 » by HiRez » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:06 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I just think the team was gassed. Curry and wiggs are near 40 minutes a night and the team has been without 2 rotation guys in lee and baze.

Both of those guys averaged 35.1 minutes in April, how is that "near 40 minutes a night"? Doncic is averaging 35.3 minutes in April, played the previous night, was hobbling around on a bum knee, and still torched us for 39/6/8 in only 28 minutes.

It's a long season and guys are tired, I get it, but why are our guys more tired than anyone else? They're not playing an extreme amount more games or more minutes than other starters in the league. The 28-0 run is insane, I don't think I've ever seen that in an NBA game. And even if arms and legs are tired, so many dumbass decisions that a professional basketball player shouldn't ever make. Like Wiggins ignoring a wide-open Curry in the corner, instead opting for his own contested midrange shot, which predictably missed badly.
TB
General Manager

Post#113 » by TB » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:48 pm

When teams guard Steph like Dallas did (and how playoff teams will), it all comes down to the 4 on 3 execution. You need to go fast, be in the right spots, pass quickly, and hit wide open shots.

Just go back to the 2016 season when teams were trying anything to stop Steph and look at the roster in terms of who became the playmakers and how the shooters shot from 3.... After the trap you had Dray/Iggy/Livingston/Bogut level passers to quickly play the 4 on 3. Then look at the shooting percentages. Klay, Barnes, Rush, Dray, Mo Buckets were all 38% or higher, and iggy was at 35%.

So now lets jump back to this year. Outside of Dray not a ton of high IQ players getting lots of minutes. JTA, Baze, Lee, Looney have shown some solid play in the system, but they aren't on Iggy/S Dot level. And as for shooters, just nowhere near the consistent knockdown shooters we had during our run. Lee/Baze/JTA, again, have done the best... and can't complain too much with Wiggins 37%... but theres just so many minutes where a 4 on 3 still has players teams don't have to worry about. And the elephant in the room is that, while Dray has still been fantastic, it sure was nice when he was shooting 38% that year :) .

I'd love to see Steph/Lee/Baze/JTA/Dray get some run. They have only played 5 minutes this year, but offensively I have a hard time seeing that lineup not work against a high trap. And if they don't trap, you just run PnR with Steph/Dray to force the 4 on 3.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 835

Post#114 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Luka was just killing Wiggins last night
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,701

Post#115 » by whatisacenter » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:01 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

if you actually watch the video Wiggins did a pretty good job of contesting Luka's shots when he was the primary defender on him. Luka was hot last night and sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

We will see you tomorrow, now give us your draft pick and go away.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#116 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:04 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
HiRez wrote:Um...and it's not extremely draining for the other 29 teams? I mean WTF is that? That really sounds like someone who doesn't give a rat's ass if they make the playoffs or not. When they are right on the edge of being in or out, every game counts. Dallas played LAST NIGHT, and probably practiced last week, but we're the tired team?

Small ball is terrible on players health. Nash is the only one who made it for the long term . He was a beneath the basket player and rarely left his two feet.

The goal for this year is to keep everyone healthy for next year when Klay comes back. It’s too late to tank, so might as well pace themselves to a low playoff position.

That's a really great point....."small ball is terrible on players health".

Maybe ownership should consider adjusting the style of play to help preserve player like Curry...Draymond. Playing undersized EVERY night and having to play faster than the other team to take advantage of size and compestate for the rebounding....not good long term.

Maybe it makes sense to bring in Wiseman next year....for the size and youth....slow the game down....go bigger.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#117 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:05 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

And we wonder why Wiggins is gassed lol. He actually played him pretty well on many of those shots....Luka is special for sure.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
TB
General Manager

Post#118 » by TB » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:15 pm

Wiggins did fine on Luka, he just made a ton of great shots. Defensively the problem was that people not named Luka shot 14 of 25 from 3. We had zero gameplan for their pick and roll and Dallas just knocked down wide open 3 after wide open 3.

And of course the main issue was that the Warriors scored under 30 points in a half....
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#119 » by FNQ » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 pm

did I miss all the doomposting? Who's individual fault was it that we lost last night?
TB
General Manager

Post#120 » by TB » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:42 pm

FNQ wrote:did I miss all the doomposting? Who's individual fault was it that we lost last night?

I think Dub Nation has gotten together and universally put the blame on Kerr for this one. Keep it simple, only have to fire one person.

Return to Golden State Warriors