ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Warriors (9:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Warriors (9:30PM EST) 

Post#41 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:25 pm

BlueSan wrote:Extremely happy for the win. To be honest was not expecting it.

However before we start pumping our chests.

Let us look at our last 12 games

1. Houston - L
2. Bucks - W
3. Spurs - L
4. 76s - L
5. Memphis - W
6. NY Knicks - L
7. Sacramento - L
8. Detroit - W
9. Lakers - W
10. Lakers - W
11. - Sacramento - L
12. - Golden State - W

1. Warriors were a much-weakened team
2. Lakers a much-weakened team
3. Lakers again a weakened team
4. We won against Detroit (wouldn't really brag about it)
5. Grizzlies (Weakened without J.J. - took a lucky shot and missed FTs to do it)
6. Bucks (Weakened without Giannis)

We LOST against
1. Kings (weakened Kings at that...very...even injured Barnes)
2. Kings (again another Loss vs the Kings...)
3. Knicks (the only team that is in form and you could say you actually have beaten a good one, but we didn't...)
4. 76s (good team -> easily dismantled by them)
5. Spurs (not the team they once were...but won over Dallas)
6. Lost against Houston (not something to be proud of)

So if we are being honest... we just got a bit of Good to forget the BAD but if you realistically look at the list we haven't WON against any team that wasn't severely weakened or was any good.
On the other hand, we got destroyed against 76s, beaten by Knicks, and lost games against San Antonio, Kings, and Houston, that on paper we "should have won"

So that is our current reality IMO before someone gets carried away.

Nevertheless, I will say it once again. I am still extremely happy about this win, but I still, don't think this team is good enough to make anything happen if they get to the playoffs and yeah, I still think they will face the play-in.

Couldn’t you also say those teams beat a weakened Mavs team? Also at this point in the season what teams are 100% healthy? You can only play who’s on the court and I’ll never apologize for a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#42 » by dirkforpres » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:40 pm

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:No because you NEVER have anything good to say about them. You only speak up when they’re playing bad. As soon as they play well you disappear.

Maybe you’re just a “glass is half empty” kinda person.

Congrats if you’ve found a way to enjoy what is being called the worst NBA season in modern history.. the Mavs constant underachieving doesn’t help, and it’ll take consistency on a nightly basis for me to actually be impressed.

Glad some of you have such short memories, because I distinctly remember this team getting stomped by Sacramento (2x), Houston, and San Antonio all within the past few weeks.

I’m not going to get excited about an underachieving team going into the playoffs. You’re setting yourself up for disappointment, but good luck with that.

If the Mavs prove me wrong, I’ll be happy to eat crow... but they haven’t shown that they’re talented enough (except Luka) or mature enough to do that yet

If you expected a title this year then you’re the one that set yourself up for disappointment. Most of us here realize that building a title team takes time and our Mavs are not there yet. You ever hear the saying “Rome wasn’t built in a day”? And who says this is the worst NBA season? You? You just really be a miserable person that can’t find enjoyment in a game. Not everything is fire and brimstone buddy. The sky isn’t falling. Yes they lost to the Kings and Rockets but guess what, they also beat the Jazz and beat the Lakers in back to back games, not to mention just annihilated Steph Curry’s Warriors (who some here gave the Mavs zero chance of winning). My point is, lighten up. Your soggy diaper act is wearing thin.

I didn’t expect a championship this year, but I did at least expect some improvement from last year. Does that look like something you’ve seen on a nightly basis? There’s nothing wrong with being frustrated regarding a team that’s this hot and cold. That’s coach’s fault for not keeping them focused on task every night.

I would be be happy if/when things change and consistency shows, but the Mavs seem bound and determined to be in play-in game contention till the very end… Which is sad considering the front office’s ridiculous “we like our team” schtick is only as good as another 6 seed likely first round exit.

If you aren’t frustrated, you are part of the problem.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM

Post#43 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:51 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Congrats if you’ve found a way to enjoy what is being called the worst NBA season in modern history.. the Mavs constant underachieving doesn’t help, and it’ll take consistency on a nightly basis for me to actually be impressed.

Glad some of you have such short memories, because I distinctly remember this team getting stomped by Sacramento (2x), Houston, and San Antonio all within the past few weeks.

I’m not going to get excited about an underachieving team going into the playoffs. You’re setting yourself up for disappointment, but good luck with that.

If the Mavs prove me wrong, I’ll be happy to eat crow... but they haven’t shown that they’re talented enough (except Luka) or mature enough to do that yet

If you expected a title this year then you’re the one that set yourself up for disappointment. Most of us here realize that building a title team takes time and our Mavs are not there yet. You ever hear the saying “Rome wasn’t built in a day”? And who says this is the worst NBA season? You? You just really be a miserable person that can’t find enjoyment in a game. Not everything is fire and brimstone buddy. The sky isn’t falling. Yes they lost to the Kings and Rockets but guess what, they also beat the Jazz and beat the Lakers in back to back games, not to mention just annihilated Steph Curry’s Warriors (who some here gave the Mavs zero chance of winning). My point is, lighten up. Your soggy diaper act is wearing thin.

I didn’t expect a championship this year, but I did at least expect some improvement from last year. Does that look like something you’ve seen on a nightly basis? There’s nothing wrong with being frustrated regarding a team that’s this hot and cold. That’s coach’s fault for not keeping them focused on task every night.

I would be be happy if/when things change and consistency shows, but the Mavs seem bound and determined to be in play-in game contention till the very end… Which is sad considering the front office’s ridiculous “we like our team” schtick is only as good as another 6 seed likely first round exit.

I don’t make management decisions or control who gets injured so no, I’m not part of the problem.

As for improvement, again building a title team takes time. You can’t expect this team to be a near title team at this point. This team overachieved last year. This year they are really about where they should be in Luka’s 3rd season. And they’ve done so for the most part with an ineffective KP and an ineffective JRich. What we have seen is improvement from guys like Luka, Brunson, DFS and Maxi. With the amount of guys they have coming off the books the off season I expect they will shake things up a bit. Next year is really when I expect them to make a big improvement.

ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#44 » by ejs78 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:12 pm

Pretty much agree

As soon as they took on THjr contract and made it clear they were in on the summer of Giannis my only focus became this summer and next season ( there are plenty of good players out there to upgrade this team still)

If they flop Ill have no issue crushing them.
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:If you expected a title this year then you’re the one that set yourself up for disappointment. Most of us here realize that building a title team takes time and our Mavs are not there yet. You ever hear the saying “Rome wasn’t built in a day”? And who says this is the worst NBA season? You? You just really be a miserable person that can’t find enjoyment in a game. Not everything is fire and brimstone buddy. The sky isn’t falling. Yes they lost to the Kings and Rockets but guess what, they also beat the Jazz and beat the Lakers in back to back games, not to mention just annihilated Steph Curry’s Warriors (who some here gave the Mavs zero chance of winning). My point is, lighten up. Your soggy diaper act is wearing thin.

I don’t make management decisions or control who gets injured so no, I’m not part of the problem.

As for improvement, again building a title team takes time. You can’t expect this team to be a near title team at this point. This team overachieved last year. This year they are really about where they should be in Luka’s 3rd season. And they’ve done so for the most part with an ineffective KP and an ineffective JRich. What we have seen is improvement from guys like Luka, Brunson, DFS and Maxi. With the amount of guys they have coming off the books the off season I expect they will shake things up a bit. Next year is really when I expect them to make a big improvement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#45 » by dirkforpres » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:27 pm

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:If you expected a title this year then you’re the one that set yourself up for disappointment. Most of us here realize that building a title team takes time and our Mavs are not there yet. You ever hear the saying “Rome wasn’t built in a day”? And who says this is the worst NBA season? You? You just really be a miserable person that can’t find enjoyment in a game. Not everything is fire and brimstone buddy. The sky isn’t falling. Yes they lost to the Kings and Rockets but guess what, they also beat the Jazz and beat the Lakers in back to back games, not to mention just annihilated Steph Curry’s Warriors (who some here gave the Mavs zero chance of winning). My point is, lighten up. Your soggy diaper act is wearing thin.

If you don’t hold them accountable, you are 100% part of the problem.

Carlisle deserves to be called out for not keeping this team focused or developing rookies
Nelson deserves to be called out for botching yet another offseason and failing to address any of the issues at the trade deadline
Cuban deserves to be called out for not holding anyone accountable for 10 years of playoff failures

Fans don’t deserve to be called out though for calling these guys out
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM

Post#46 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:58 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Carlisle deserves to be called out for not keeping this team focused or developing rookies
Nelson deserves to be called out for botching yet another offseason and failing to address any of the issues at the trade deadline
Cuban deserves to be called out for not holding anyone accountable for 10 years of playoff failures

Who says they didn’t try to improve the team at the trade deadline? We’re you in on every call? You seem to think that just the Mavs want a guy that it should be a given that they’d get him. It takes two teams to make a trade.

Also who says the rookies aren’t being developed? On one hand you expect this team to be a top 4 seed but then you also want Carlisle to give heavy minutes to rookies. You can’t have both. If guys like Bey, Green, Hinton, and Terry were playing heavy minutes this team wouldn’t even be in position for the play in. Just because Carlisle doesn’t handle the rookies the way YOU want him too doesn’t mean they aren’t being developed. We’ve had this discussion before. The young players on this team are developed the way they have always been since Carlisle has been here. Regardless of what you think he actually knows what he’s doing. You can look at Brunson, Luka, DFS, and Maxi as proof, as well as numerous other guys in the past.

Also it’s one thing to call out the coaches and staff but it’s another to have unrealistic expectations.

dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#47 » by dirkforpres » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:37 pm

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:I don’t make management decisions or control who gets injured so no, I’m not part of the problem.

Who says they didn’t try to improve the team at the trade deadline? We’re you in on every call? You seem to think that just the Mavs want a guy that it should be a given that they’d get him. It takes two teams to make a trade.

Also who says the rookies aren’t being developed? On one hand you expect this team to be a top 4 seed but then you also want Carlisle to give heavy minutes to rookies. You can’t have both. If guys like Bey, Green, Hinton, and Terry were playing heavy minutes this team wouldn’t even be in position for the play in. Just because Carlisle doesn’t handle the rookies the way YOU want him too doesn’t mean they aren’t being developed. We’ve had this discussion before. The young players on this team are developed the way they have always been since Carlisle has been here. Regardless of what you think he actually knows what he’s doing. You can look at Brunson, Luka, DFS, and Maxi as proof, as well as numerous other guys in the past.

Also it’s one thing to call out the coaches and staff but it’s another to have unrealistic expectations.

Literally every Mavs related article and interview the month of the deadline had Cuban and co. saying “X player is untouchable” or “we like our team as is”. Where were you?

And are you not watching the games? You need actual game minutes to develop rookies. Green, Terry (when healthy), Hinton, and Bey go through weeks without a single minute on the floor sometimes... How much growth and development do you honestly think they’re getting from just practicing and bench warming? Carlisle should be giving them reps instead of Melli or Powell getting 40 min of PT... The young guys have chances to actually improve and contribute.. those other guys don’t (except one time all season, in Powell’s case). It shouldn’t be this difficult to break through the Rick Carlisle glass ceiling that’s been established for young players.
FIRE JASON KIDD
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#48 » by BlueSan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:48 pm

Mr B wrote:

1. Houston - L
2. Bucks - W
3. Spurs - L
4. 76s - L
5. Memphis - W
6. NY Knicks - L
7. Sacramento - L
8. Detroit - W
9. Lakers - W
10. Lakers - W
11. - Sacramento - L
12. - Golden State - W

5. Grizzlies (Weakened without J.J. - took a lucky shot and missed FTs to do it)

We LOST against
3. Knicks (the only team that is in form and you could say you actually have beaten a good one, but we didn't...)

So if we are being honest... we just got a bit of Good to forget the BAD but if you realistically look at the list we haven't WON against any team that wasn't severely weakened or was any good.
On the other hand, we got destroyed against 76s, beaten by Knicks, and lost games against San Antonio, Kings, and Houston, that on paper we "should have won"

Nevertheless, I will say it once again. I am still extremely happy about this win, but I still, don't think this team is good enough to make anything happen if they get to the playoffs and yeah, I still think they will face the play-in.

Couldn’t you also say those teams beat a weakened Mavs team? Also at this point in the season what teams are 100% healthy? You can only play who’s on the court and I’ll never apologize for a win.

Without going into every single player let us just take a look at the losses and if Luka Porzingis didnt play

1. Houston = Both played
2. Spurs = Both played
3. 76s = without Porzingis
4. NY Knicks = Both played
5. Sacramento = Both played
6. Sacramento = without Porzingis

So yeah not much of a weakened squad through those games...
Mr B
RealGM

Post#49 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:46 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Literally every Mavs related article and interview the month of the deadline had Cuban and co. saying “X player is untouchable” or “we like our team as is”. Where were you?

And are you not watching the games? You need actual game minutes to develop rookies. Green, Terry (when healthy), Hinton, and Bey go through weeks without a single minute on the floor sometimes... How much growth and development do you honestly think they’re getting from just practicing and bench warming? Carlisle should be giving them reps instead of Melli or Powell getting 40 min of PT... The young guys have chances to actually improve and contribute.. those other guys don’t (except one time all season, in Powell’s case). It shouldn’t be this difficult to break through the Rick Carlisle glass ceiling that’s been established for young players.

You can’t just give rookies minutes if they haven’t earned them in practice. We’ve seen Green get minutes so that leads me to believe he earned that time in practice. Terry hasn’t even been with the team (understandably why). You’re not just going to put him out there if he hasn’t even practiced. Playing time is earned not just given. How much growth did DFS get his rookie year? He barely saw the court like this years rookie class has. Again, just because Carlisle doesn’t develop guys the way YOU think he should doesn’t mean he’s not developing them. Carlisle has skins on the wall so I’m going to trust he knows how to develop NBA players more than you do.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#50 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:48 pm

BlueSan wrote:
Mr B wrote:

1. Houston - L
2. Bucks - W
3. Spurs - L
4. 76s - L
5. Memphis - W
6. NY Knicks - L
7. Sacramento - L
8. Detroit - W
9. Lakers - W
10. Lakers - W
11. - Sacramento - L
12. - Golden State - W

We LOST against

Without going into every single player let us just take a look at the losses and if Luka Porzingis didnt play

1. Houston = Both played
2. Spurs = Both played

We’re not just talking about KP though. What about JRich, or Maxi, or Brunson, or any other key player?

Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#51 » by Archx » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:15 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Mate, Mavs rookies are horrible. They are literally unplayable. Everytime they are on the court, they have a negative impact. The last rookies, which Mavs could play the same time they tried to win, were Luka and Jalen. Green is light years ahead of every other Mavs rookie and even he needs a full off season PLUS summer league to evolve into a rotation player at least.

My point is, if you try to either win or go deep in to the playoffs, you simply can't expect to develop rookies who need a ton of time to develop into something serviceable. Unless you draft good rotation player already like Brunson.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#52 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:30 am

Archx wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Mate, Mavs rookies are horrible. They are literally unplayable. Everytime they are on the court, they have a negative impact. The last rookies, which Mavs could play the same time they tried to win, were Luka and Jalen. Green is light years ahead of every other Mavs rookie and even he needs a full off season PLUS summer league to evolve into a rotation player at least.

My point is, if you try to either win or go deep in to the playoffs, you simply can't expect to develop rookies who need a ton of time to develop into something serviceable. Unless you draft good rotation player already like Brunson.

Losing Summer League was huge. These rookies really needed it and not having it really stunted their growth. I would expect there to be a Summer League this year so hopefully this year’s rookies will be able to contribute some next season.

BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#53 » by BlueSan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:39 am

Mr B wrote:
BlueSan wrote:
Mr B wrote:Couldn’t you also say those teams beat a weakened Mavs team? Also at this point in the season what teams are 100% healthy? You can only play who’s on the court and I’ll never apologize for a win.

1. Houston = Both played
2. Spurs = Both played

We’re not just talking about KP though. What about JRich, or Maxi, or Brunson, or any other key player?

To be honest when comparing teams in that sense you could always say that because NBA season is long and usually at least one guy is out.
So more or less you are just looking at star power players. If Lakers have AD and Lebron, they are expected to win, even if the rest of the cast is missing left and right.
If they are missing KCP etc... I mean sure but come on now...

Return to Dallas Mavericks