ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! 

Post#501 » by Justin33 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
31to6 wrote:anyone want to put together a comparison to BJ Armstrong?
He can't be Ron Harper, but maybe he could be BJ-lite?

Mark Price-lite is my vote.

It's a much different league today than the one Mark Price played in. The game is faster and the players are more athletic now than they were back in Price's era. They are also taller. In price's era, average height of NBA PG was 6'1. Today it is just about 6'3.

Pritchard is below average in terms of height, quickness, athleticism, passing, defense and ball handling compared to other NBA starting point guards in today's game.

Mark Price was still a top 5 or 10 PG in his era. His height was average for a PG back then (Pritchard's height is below average for a PG today) and while Price was slow and un-athletic, the league as a whole was slightly slower and less athletic so it was less of a hindrance back then.

The league back in 1991 was far less spacing. Less 3-point shooting, more of pounding the ball into the post. Today's game with all of the spacing, the 3's, the faster pace. You need to be quicker, you need to be more athletic. And you need the height/length to be able to actually contest those shooters on the perimeter...and to be able to more easily get your shot off over taller defenders.

Mark Price was slow? Price was known for his quickness ;ab_channel=f9ish
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,156

Post#502 » by itrsteve » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:19 pm

Neato - CBS just upgraded Pritchard to #5 on their rookie power rankings.

Meaningless list - but glad he’s being noticed.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-rankings-celtics-payton-pritchard-heats-up-chuma-okeke-dunks-on-lakers-andre-drummond/
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Post#503 » by 31to6 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:25 pm

Justin33 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

It's a much different league today than the one Mark Price played in. The game is faster and the players are more athletic now than they were back in Price's era. They are also taller. In price's era, average height of NBA PG was 6'1. Today it is just about 6'3.

Pritchard is below average in terms of height, quickness, athleticism, passing, defense and ball handling compared to other NBA starting point guards in today's game.

Mark Price was still a top 5 or 10 PG in his era. His height was average for a PG back then (Pritchard's height is below average for a PG today) and while Price was slow and un-athletic, the league as a whole was slightly slower and less athletic so it was less of a hindrance back then.

The league back in 1991 was far less spacing. Less 3-point shooting, more of pounding the ball into the post. Today's game with all of the spacing, the 3's, the faster pace. You need to be quicker, you need to be more athletic. And you need the height/length to be able to actually contest those shooters on the perimeter...and to be able to more easily get your shot off over taller defenders.

c'mon man, use your EYES. Mark Price was white ---------> THEREFORE -----------------> Mark Price = slow
gosh I don't know why we BOTHER sometimes

but anyway I'd asked for a comparison to BJ Armstrong because he won titles. We already have our MJ (JB) and Pippen (JT, wait am I doing this right), so I'm curious how good a team with Payton as its starting PG could be. I say 'really good' FWIW, though we still need a better PF option behind/sometimes beside JT (Jabari feel free to turn back the clock for us).
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#504 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:28 pm

31to6 wrote:but anyway I'd asked for a comparison to BJ Armstrong because he won titles.

Nobody wants to put BJ Armstrong's bad agent voodoo on Pritchard.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#505 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:36 pm

Justin33 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Ok well that makes my point even more. Price was quick...and played in an era where the pace and spacing was a notch slower (and less spacing) than today which is why he was able to be an effective starting PG. But Pritchard is slower than Price which is rough since Pritchard plays in an era with faster pace and more spacing which is why he will have a much tougher time to make it as a starting PG than Price had....since Pritchard is slower than Price and Pritchard plays in a faster era so that lack of quickness will really hurt Pritchard..

Not to mention it's a PG dominated league in 2021. The bar has been raised. The bar to be a starting PG, an effective PG, an elite PG is much higher in 2021 than it was in 1991 when Price played. 1991 you had Magic, Stockton, Price, KJ, Hardaway, Isiah and that's it. That's only 6 really good PGs. Ok, Porter makes 7. Payton wasn't good yet, by the time he got good, Isiah was washed up and Magic was retired. The 20th best PG in 2021 is better than the 8th best PG in 1991.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,274

Post#506 » by Parliament10 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:01 pm

itrsteve wrote:Neato - CBS just upgraded Pritchard to #5 on their rookie power rankings.

Meaningless list - but glad he’s being noticed.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-rankings-celtics-payton-pritchard-heats-up-chuma-okeke-dunks-on-lakers-andre-drummond/

He may not make the All-Rookie Team, but he's definitely got a good future in the NBA.

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#507 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:26 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Justin33 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:It's a much different league today than the one Mark Price played in. The game is faster and the players are more athletic now than they were back in Price's era. They are also taller. In price's era, average height of NBA PG was 6'1. Today it is just about 6'3.

Ok well that makes my point even more. Price was quick...and played in an era where the pace and spacing was a notch slower (and less spacing) than today which is why he was able to be an effective starting PG. But Pritchard is slower than Price which is rough since Pritchard plays in an era with faster pace and more spacing which is why he will have a much tougher time to make it as a starting PG than Price had....since Pritchard is slower than Price and Pritchard plays in a faster era so that lack of quickness will really hurt Pritchard..

Not to mention it's a PG dominated league in 2021. The bar has been raised. The bar to be a starting PG, an effective PG, an elite PG is much higher in 2021 than it was in 1991 when Price played. 1991 you had Magic, Stockton, Price, KJ, Hardaway, Isiah and that's it. That's only 6 really good PGs. Ok, Porter makes 7. Payton wasn't good yet, by the time he got good, Isiah was washed up and Magic was retired. The 20th best PG in 2021 is better than the 8th best PG in 1991.

it's okay. Lots of doubters. But he has ELITE BBIQ. Jason Kidd and Lebron BBIQ. He's also got moxie and confidence. None of that would matter if he wasn't an elite shooter and passer but he is. He's also extremely savvy. Anyone who watched him college saw this. Anyone who watched him scrimmage with the other first rounders could see it too. I didn't put him top 5 on my Big Board for laughs. He's the white Kyrie. He's plenty quick too. Kyrie, Lillard, Steph, Harden and Trae manage to dominate without being above the rim athletes so I'm not quite sure why Pritchard is being penalized for it. I think he's a better defender than any of the other top PGs in the league despite not being a high end athlete because of his smarts. It's like Bird. He was a well above average defender because of BBIQ, quick hands, anticipation and effort. If you let him be high usage like all the other top PGs are, he'd put up similar numbers. That isn't going to happen here because of the Jays. But even if that means he's the best #3 in the league as a result, Danny, historically a terrible drafter, knocked it out of the park. Pritchard is 100% a starting PG in this league. Likely top 10 tbh.

Like I've said, doubters won't be forced to admit this until Brad grows some balls and inserts him into the starting lineup. So doubters will be right until that time. But eventually Brad won't be able to deny him. It's just a matter of time.

edit: He's also taller than all-stars Trae, Lowry, Conley, Kemba, and Paul and none of those guys except Conley are above the rim type players but it hasn't held them back much at all.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Post#508 » by 31to6 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:50 pm

djFan71 wrote:
31to6 wrote:but anyway I'd asked for a comparison to BJ Armstrong because he won titles.

Nobody wants to put BJ Armstrong's bad agent voodoo on Pritchard.

Yeah, lol I still can't think of him as anything but the PG on the Bulls who looked 14 years old. And was one of the more confounding all-star selections of all time.

While I lack the ability to put this together graphically, a look at Armstrong's career stats rings "hey, Pritchard could do that" -- 10/2/3 on great % (48/43/86). PER of 14.5, BPM of -0.2, and WS/48 of 0.12. Overall he was a shooter and decent all-around player who played well off of dynamic wings. Not a huge playmaker, and I'd have to look into his defense. 18th pick in 1989 to 26th in 2020. I don't think he could dance like PP can, and never had a nickname nearly as promising as '8 mile', but he did turn Josh Jackson against us(?), so there's that. He also went to CHA, like David Wesley and TRo, and had that one unconscious game in the playoffs against MJ that seems to have been entirely a fluke.
BJ Armstrong bbref stats: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/armstbj01.html
Payton Pritchard bbref stats: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pritcpa01.html

So, board, what say you: would you take a BJ Armstrong career from Pritchard, or do you want more/better?
(keeping in mind that Stockton, Price, and innumerable others -- edit: now including Kidd and LeBron! -- have already been name-checked in this thread)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,638

Post#509 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:53 pm

If PP has elite BBIQ I don't see it. On offense he does the most basic things on the court, without making many mistakes. That's not bad for a rookie. That's not elite BBIQ either.
PP is a good shooter with range out to a couple feet beyond top of the 3 point line who plays it safe with the ball. He's not some Jason Kidd or Mark Price. And that's ok. We needed a new Wanamaker and Danny delivered.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#510 » by cloverleaf » Sat May 1, 2021 3:45 am

BK_2020 wrote:If PP has elite BBIQ I don't see it. On offense he does the most basic things on the court, without making many mistakes. That's not bad for a rookie. That's not elite BBIQ either.
PP is a good shooter with range out to a couple feet beyond top of the 3 point line who plays it safe with the ball. He's not some Jason Kidd or Mark Price. And that's ok. We needed a new Wanamaker and Danny delivered.

A new Wanamaker?

That's cold. And probably unfair. He's a rook being basic and careful while learning.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#511 » by Hal14 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:03 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Justin33 wrote:Mark Price was slow? Price was known for his quickness ;ab_channel=f9ish

it's okay. Lots of doubters. But he has ELITE BBIQ. Jason Kidd and Lebron BBIQ. He's also got moxie and confidence. None of that would matter if he wasn't an elite shooter and passer but he is. He's also extremely savvy. Anyone who watched him college saw this. Anyone who watched him scrimmage with the other first rounders could see it too. I didn't put him top 5 on my Big Board for laughs. He's the white Kyrie. He's plenty quick too. Kyrie, Lillard, Steph, Harden and Trae manage to dominate without being above the rim athletes so I'm not quite sure why Pritchard is being penalized for it. I think he's a better defender than any of the other top PGs in the league despite not being a high end athlete because of his smarts. It's like Bird. He was a well above average defender because of BBIQ, quick hands, anticipation and effort. If you let him be high usage like all the other top PGs are, he'd put up similar numbers. That isn't going to happen here because of the Jays. But even if that means he's the best #3 in the league as a result, Danny, historically a terrible drafter, knocked it out of the park. Pritchard is 100% a starting PG in this league. Likely top 10 tbh.

Like I've said, doubters won't be forced to admit this until Brad grows some balls and inserts him into the starting lineup. So doubters will be right until that time. But eventually Brad won't be able to deny him. It's just a matter of time.

edit: He's also taller than all-stars Trae, Lowry, Conley, Kemba, and Paul and none of those guys except Conley are above the rim type players but it hasn't held them back much at all.

I'm not sure if you're serious with this post or if you're trolling.

I've seen people refer to you as a troll on here before, so I thought about just ignoring your post.

But somehow your post actually got 2 and-1's so I'll respond.

1) You are severely overrating the importance of basketball IQ and moxie/confidence. These guys are NBA players. For the most part, unless they're one of those guys who's just a freak athlete but is dumber than a bag of hammers, they have solid BBIQ. And again, they're NBA players, most of them have a ton of confidence. Young players in year 1 and year 2, sometimes lack confidence until they really get comfortable out there. That's not the case for Pritchard, which is why he plays with more confidence than Nesmith for example. But in the long run, over time Nesmith is likely to pass him, once he gets comfortable out there and gets his confidence up, since he is bigger, quicker, more athletic and better defender than Pritchard.

2) "He's the white Kyrie" are you kidding me? That's one of the dumbest things I've seen written on this board. Still can't believe this post got 2 and-1's, lol. Kyrie is 10x quicker, more explosive and more athletic than Pritchard. Kyrie is 10x better at ball handling and much better at driving into the lane to create offense off the bounce. Like, it's not even close. Not to mention much better defensively. You lose all credibility with dumb statements like this.

3) Pritchard is not an elite passer. Have you honestly seen elite passing ability from him this season? He's made some nice lob passes to Time Lord but other than that, all I have seen is a undersized PG who struggles to handle the ball, get it across half court and set up offense vs defensive pressure, but a kid who is tough, scrappy, is fearless, good shooter and at times can create offense (mostly just for himself, not as good at creating for others) off the dribble. He hustles and fights but is undersized, slow, not very athletic and is a liability on defense.

He seems to have pretty good basketball IQ but definitely not seeing elite BBIQ, and you comparing his BBIQ to LeBron James is laughable. LeBron is considered to have among the best BBIQ of all time. And I am definitely not seeing elite passing ability from Pritchard. I'd say he's an average passer.

4) You're wrong, Pritchard is not taller than Trae Young or Mike Conley. All 3 of them are 6'1". Pritchard 6'1, Young 6'1, Conley 6'1, Paul 6'0, Kemba 6'0 and Lowry 6'0" are all below average height-wise for an NBA PG. Average height for an NBA PG today is just under 6'3.

Let's look beyond just height. Since obviously there is a handful of undersized PG's who have been really good. Hell, while we're at it, let's also include Rondo 6'1 and Collin Sexton 6'1.

All of these guys are undersized PG's. They are not equal if we look at other areas though...areas where an NBA starting point guard needs to be good in at least some of these.

Quickness
Athleticism
Defense
Ball handling
Passing

Now, let's take Pritchard, Kemba, Conley, Paul, Young, Rondo and Lowry. Let's give them 1 point for each category where they are above average:

Kemba = 3 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling)
Rondo = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, passing)
Paul = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, passing)
Young = 4 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling, passing)
Lowry = 4 points (quickness, defense, ball handling, passing)
Conley = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, passing)
Sexton= 3 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling)
Pritchard = 0 points

It should be noted that the 2 categories Kemba did not receive a point (defense and passing), he is better than Pritchard at both of those.

So clearly all of these guys are WAY better than Pritchard, it's not even close.

If we run this same exercise but we also add more point guards into the mix and include guys who are not undersized (so we include Lillard, Curry, Doncic, Irving, Lamelo Ball, Lonzo Ball, De'Aaron Fox, etc.) and we add "height" as a category and you get 1 point for that category if you are 6'2" or taller so each player can now get up to 6 points, Pritchard looks even worse:

Doncic = 4 points (quickness, ball handling, passing, height)
Lillard = 4 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, passing, height)
Westbrook = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling, passing, height)
Irving = 6 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, passing, height)
Harden = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling, passing, height)
Lonzo Ball = 6 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, passing, height)
Lamelo Ball = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling, passing, height)
Sexton = 3 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling)
Morant = 4 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling, height)
Young = 4 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling, passing)
Paul = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, passing)
Kemba = 3 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling)
Curry = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling, passing, height)
Lowry = 4 points (quickness, defense, ball handling, passing)
Conley = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, passing)
Holiday = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, height)
Brogdon = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling, passing, height)
Fox = 4 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling, height)
Rondo = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, passing)
Simmons = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, passing, height)
Jamal Murray = 6 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, passing, height)
Dejounte Murray = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling, height)
Rubio = 5 points (quickness, defense, ball handling, passing, height)
D Russell = 5 points (quickness, athleticism, ball handling, passing, height)
Pritchard = 0 points

As you can see, most of these guys got between 4 to 6 points, only two of them got 3 points. Then you have Pritchard with 0.

This is how Pritchard stacks up to the top 24 PGs in the league. Yes, Pritchard is a good shooter but pretty much all of these guys are. That is table stakes at this point for being a PG in the modern NBA. You need to be able to shoot. But it's having these other attributes (quickness, athleticism, height, passing, ball handling, defense) that puts you in the conversation for being a top 20 PG in the league. Based on this exercise you need at least 3 of those attributes to even be considered among the top 24 PGs in the league..

Oh, and athleticism is not just playing above the rim. There's more to it than that. Here's an example of Kyrie's insane athleticism:

Curry's athleticism:

Young's athleticism:

Harden's athleticism:

Again, I like Pritchard. I'm just not sure he can be a good starting PG in the league, especially for a team with hopes of contending for a title. More than likely, I see him being a solid backup PG who comes in off the bench and gives the team some good energy, toughness and shooting.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#512 » by JediMasterRevan » Mon May 3, 2021 5:16 pm

I remembered who PRitchard reminds me of a bit.

Anyone else see some Jose Calderon in his game?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,638

Post#513 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 3, 2021 5:38 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:I remembered who PRitchard reminds me of a bit.

Anyone else see some Jose Calderon in his game?

They white
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#514 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue May 4, 2021 7:46 am

They Kyrie clip above shows decent athleticism plus amazing layup-range shooting. I don't know whether Pritchard could fly that far straight through the air under the hoop, but even if he can't, the big difference is the shot-making itself, not the broad jumping.

Why is Kemba claimed to be better at defense than Pritchard? The charges and what else?

All that said, I do agree that star PGs such as the ones cited typically have a lot more quickness than Pritchard, and usually also speed and/or hops superiority as well.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#515 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue May 4, 2021 7:59 am

Pritchard's quickness seems more comparable to that of this much taller white guard:

Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Hal14
RealGM

Post#516 » by Hal14 » Tue May 4, 2021 12:10 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:They Kyrie clip above shows decent athleticism plus amazing layup-range shooting. I don't know whether Pritchard could fly that far straight through the air under the hoop, but even if he can't, the big difference is the shot-making itself, not the broad jumping.

Why is Kemba claimed to be better at defense than Pritchard? The charges and what else?

All that said, I do agree that star PGs such as the ones cited typically have a lot more quickness than Pritchard, and usually also speed and/or hops superiority as well.

1) The charges and because Kemba is considerably quicker which allows him to get out on shooters quicker, get around screens quicker and be less likely to be slow getting to a spot. Even still, I did not give Kemba a point for defense since he is not above average defensively.

2) It's not just quickness and athleticism, but the combination of quickness, athleticism, defense, ball handling and passing. Pritchard is not above average in any of these areas, plus he's undersized at 6'1". This is why he went late in the 1st round (and was actually projected to go early to mid 2nd round)...I still think he can be a good backup PG though..
Hal14
RealGM

Post#517 » by Hal14 » Tue May 4, 2021 12:16 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Pritchard's quickness seems more comparable to that of this much taller white guard:

That might be a fair comparison in terms of quickness (as well as shooting ability and scrappiness), but:

1) Ainge was 6'5" so 4 inches taller than Pritchard which makes a big difference
2) Ainge's prime was what, 1985-1990? Players are much faster and more athletic today than they were back then. So a guy like Ainge was able to get by and have a very good NBA career with the level of quickness and athleticism he had, but it's much tougher to pull off in today's game (especially since Pritchard is 4 inches shorter and slightly less athletic than Ainge was)
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,167

Post#518 » by playa-hater » Wed May 5, 2021 2:10 am

My god, what then hell is going on here in the PP thread??
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#519 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed May 5, 2021 4:29 am

playa-hater wrote:My god, what then hell is going on here in the PP thread??

Yeah I've just been quietly watching. I need this debate to continue for like 3 more pages.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#520 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed May 5, 2021 4:30 am

Good for him. He's earned every minutes. He's earned his coach's and his teammates' trust.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured

Return to Boston Celtics