ImageImageImage

Trade Discussion 22/23

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1261 » by Bob8 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:26 pm

Speadge wrote:You missed the point. Do I need to repat it? To play in the NBA, you must have been available in the draft once. Dallas can't just pick some random player in Europe and sign him as a free agent. This player needs to be available to other teams through the draft first. If no team pick him, he can become free agent as undrafted player.

My question is very simple. Could Mavs have done what Nets did?
Speadge
Junior
And1: 300

Post#1262 » by Speadge » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:43 pm

Bob8 wrote: I wonder, why Mavs with all Euro connections never get someone from Europe, who is actually top player there.

Bob, I am not your enemy and I am trying my best to explain you how those things works, but because of your ego driven stubbornness it's required a lot of patience and time to discuss with you, so can we reapeat what you learnt today?
Do you understand now that it's mandatory to be eligible for the draft to play in NBA and do you understand now what undrafterd player is and what's required to become one?
Do you get it finally that Mavs "with all Euro connections" can't just pick some random top player from Europe and sign him direcly as a free agent because this player would need to enter the draft first.

So yes, they can do this what Nets did (they signed NBA free agent who entered the draft process in the past, but no team selected him) and no, Mavs can't get some top player from Europe directly without this player entering the draft process first where other teams would also have opportunity to pick him.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1263 » by Bob8 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:23 pm

Speadge wrote:
Bob8 wrote: I wonder, why Mavs with all Euro connections never get someone from Europe, who is actually top player there.

Bob, because of your ego driven stubbornness it's required a lot of patience and time to discuss with you, so can we reapeat what you learnt today?
Do you understand now that it's mandatory to be eligible for the draft to play in NBA and do you understand now what undrafterd player is and what's required to become one?
Do you get it finally that Mavs "with all Euro connections" can't just pick some random top player from Europe and sign him direcly as a free agent because this player would need to enter the draft first.

So yes, they can do this what Nets did (they signed NBA free agent who entered the draft process in the past, but no team selected him) and no, Mavs can't get some top player from Europe directly without this player entering the draft process first where other teams would also have opportunity to pick him.

Please skip you first few sentences, I don't need patronising from you. Rather read again what debate is all about. It's for sure not about drafting young Euroleague players.

I wasn't talking about some random Euroleague player, but explicitly about Mike James. Where did I say they should get someone without entering draft process? The best players in Europe are mostly all way pass draft process anyway.
Speadge
Junior

Post#1264 » by Speadge » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:38 pm

What age of "top euro player" have do to with this? Young or old ... he still needs to go through draft process once in a life time in order to play in NBA. NBA team with "Euro connections" can't just pull him from Europe to sign a contract skipping the draft.

No, you said "I wonder, why Mavs with all Euro connections never get someone from Europe, who is actually top player there" and I explained you that things don't work like that, because this top euro player would still need to enter the draft first (with other teams opportunity to pick him) unless he hasn't already.
All the rest is just your incapability to say "oh, I didn't know that" continuing argument for the sake of it.

I assume that you realized now that player needs to become eligible for the draft once in order to be able to play in NBA and what undrafted player is, so you have been answered.
I helped you as much as I could. Go to fight your other forum battles now. Cya.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1265 » by Bob8 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:49 pm

Speadge wrote:No, you said "I wonder, why Mavs with all Euro connections never get someone from Europe, who is actually top player there" and I explained you that things don't work like that, because this player would still need to enter the draft first (with other teams opportunity to pick him) unless he hasn't already.
All the rest is just your incapability to say "oh, I didn't know that" continuing argument for the sake of it.

I assume that you realized now that player needs to become eligible for the draft once in order to be able to play in NBA and what undrafted player is, so you have been answered. I helped you as much as I could. Go to fight your other forum battles now. Cya.

I understand very well that you cannot sign players, who are eligible for draft or players, whose rights other teams already have. Problems in our discussion didn't start there, it started because you assumed that top players in Europe still needed to be drafted, which is not true. Top players in Europe are in vast majority like Mike James. Undrafted or dropouts from Nba, who have become much better in Europe. My question was, why Mavs never sign player like James, top player, who can help Mavs much more than players like Broekhoff? Instead of an easy answer I have got schooling about draft. Maybe you should admit that you don't know anything about best players in Europe.
Speadge
Junior

Post#1266 » by Speadge » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:03 pm

Bob8 wrote: it started because you assumed that top players in Europe still needed to be drafted, which is not true.

Why you're making things up? I surely didn't say that. I said:

Speadge wrote:
Bob8 wrote: I wonder, why Mavs with all that Euro connection never get someone from Europe, who is actually top player there. He can score and he can create, no one except Luka is able to do that.

How do you imagine to do that? This one would still need to become eligible for draft available to other teams who pick before Mavs, right?

Speadge wrote:this top euro player would still need to enter the draft first (with other teams opportunity to pick him) unless he hasn't already.

Speadge wrote:To play in the NBA, you must have been available in the draft once. Dallas can't just pick some random player in Europe and sign him as a free agent. This player needs to be available to other teams through the draft first. If no team select him, he can become free agent as undrafted player.
You can't enter the NBA skipping the draft. Do you get it now?

Do you understand the difference between need to be drafted and being eligible for the draft? I think you have problem with basic terms. Not all NBA players are drafted but all of them needs to go through draft process in order to play in NBA.
Team can't just bring some random top euro player "because of euro connections" with skipping the draft. This player would either need to enter the draft or be a FA who entered draft already. There's no shortcuts just because of you have euro connections.
But yeah, I am repeating myself now. You understand what you want to understand. As usually.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1267 » by Bob8 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 pm

Speadge wrote:
Bob8 wrote: it started because you assumed that top players in Europe still needed to be drafted, which is not true.

Why you're making things up? I surely didn't say that. I said:

Speadge wrote:
Bob8 wrote: I wonder, why Mavs with all that Euro connection never get someone from Europe, who is actually top player there. He can score and he can create, no one except Luka is able to do that.

How do you imagine to do that? This one would still need to become eligible for draft available to other teams who pick before Mavs, right?

Speadge wrote:this top euro player would still need to enter the draft first (with other teams opportunity to pick him) unless he hasn't already.

Speadge wrote:To play in the NBA, you must have been available in the draft once. Dallas can't just pick some random player in Europe and sign him as a free agent. This player needs to be available to other teams through the draft first. If no team select him, he can become free agent as undrafted player.
You can't enter the NBA skipping the draft. Do you get it now?

Do you understand the difference between need to be drafted and being eligible for the draft? I think you have problem with basic terms. Not all NBA players are drafted but all of them needs to go through draft process in order to play in NBA.
Team can't just bring some random top euro player "because of euro connections" with skipping the draft. This player would either need to enter the draft or be a FA who entered draft already. There's no shortcuts just because of you have euro connections.
But yeah, I am repeating myself now. You understand what you want to understand. As usually.

Top players in Europe, James, Larkin, Mirotic, Nando, Micic, Vesely...who except Micic Mavs cannot sign?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#1268 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:26 pm

Will Clyburn for sure
taibumu
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#1269 » by taibumu » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:16 pm

Hello?
Vesely?
Tavares >>> Vesely

Enviado desde mi Mi 10 mediante Tapatalk
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,615

Post#1270 » by oldshoolballer » Sat May 1, 2021 2:22 am

arkuo wrote:KP is not getting traded by Cuban. There's no way you get equal value back and the Mavs are not contending for anything anytime soon. They're just having fun and building chemistry. They might just sign Goran Dragic in the summer and call it an offseason.

It's getting to the point that they won't be able to trade him. If he's done again for the season no team will take the risk.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1271 » by arkuo » Sat May 1, 2021 4:14 am

oldshoolballer wrote:
arkuo wrote:KP is not getting traded by Cuban. There's no way you get equal value back and the Mavs are not contending for anything anytime soon. They're just having fun and building chemistry. They might just sign Goran Dragic in the summer and call it an offseason.

It's getting to the point that they won't be able to trade him. If he's done again for the season no team will take the risk.

I don't think there is a rush to send KP out. Even if you let KP's contract run out in 2 years, Luka will still be very young and most likely has not hit his prime yet still. So there is always room to let him walk and sign 2 more max guys.

The KP signing was a risk that any company had to take. You get a shot at a potential all star to tie Luka in. If it works out it's great. Cuban made that money back already, he probably didnt lose out on anything. But it was a risk worth taking if the other option was stick Dennis Smith, sign Harrison Barnes to a new $26M per year deal and draft Wendell Carter. When you assess the risk, it was worth taking. Now if KP doesnt work out, he most likely walks and Cuban tries to sign 2 more max guys. Try is the operative word here.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#1272 » by Bluelabel24 » Sat May 1, 2021 4:21 am

oldshoolballer wrote:

they should sit him down and focus on the foundation. things like improvement on nutrition, fundamentals and landing mechanics.
he cannot have another year out there looking so weak and anemic on the court.
Bluelabel24
Junior

Post#1273 » by Bluelabel24 » Sat May 1, 2021 4:29 am

even during bench press its a big issue with him.. i have no idea why his spanish trainer isnt keen on correcting it.. a friend of mine who goes to the gym pointed out how dangerous this move is..(for fellow mavs fans who go to the gym please correct me if im wrong).
WATCH 5:27
again that inwards motion is definitely concerning.

this video is quite old, it was the season before he became a maverick. the concern is whether he still does it.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1274 » by arkuo » Sat May 1, 2021 4:34 am

The thing with KP is we from the outside looking in, dont know how much input is with Casey Smith and how much input he gets from Janis (his brother) and his other personal trainers.

Sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen ruins a dish. I feel like KP has a whole committee around him with varying opinions by themselves to the point where you dont even know which one to listen to.
Bluelabel24
Junior

Post#1275 » by Bluelabel24 » Sat May 1, 2021 4:38 am

arkuo wrote:The thing with KP is we from the outside looking in, dont know how much input is with Casey Smith and how much input he gets from Janis (his brother) and his other personal trainers.

Sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen ruins a dish. I feel like KP has a whole committee around him with varying opinions by themselves to the point where you dont even know which one to listen to.

totally agree with you here. did you watch the timestamp i pointed out?
did you see the inwards degree of his knees, did that concern you too or its not that a big deal like i believe it to be??
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#1276 » by fuller4379 » Sat May 1, 2021 5:02 am

arkuo wrote:
oldshoolballer wrote:

I don't think there is a rush to send KP out. Even if you let KP's contract run out in 2 years, Luka will still be very young and most likely has not hit his prime yet still. So there is always room to let him walk and sign 2 more max guys.

The KP signing was a risk that any company had to take. You get a shot at a potential all star to tie Luka in. If it works out it's great. Cuban made that money back already, he probably didnt lose out on anything. But it was a risk worth taking if the other option was stick Dennis Smith, sign Harrison Barnes to a new $26M per year deal and draft Wendell Carter. When you assess the risk, it was worth taking. Now if KP doesnt work out, he most likely walks and Cuban tries to sign 2 more max guys. Try is the operative word here.

Three years. He will probably opt into the final year.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1277 » by arkuo » Sat May 1, 2021 6:49 am

fuller4379 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
oldshoolballer wrote: It's getting to the point that they won't be able to trade him. If he's done again for the season no team will take the risk.

Yeah that kinda sucks for us fans. But that is the most likely scenario. KP plays his contract out. Luka is barely 25 by then. Which means Cuban has two max slots to sign players with at that time. I figure he goes hard after guys like Devin Booker who are still in their prime at that time.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1278 » by Bob8 » Sat May 1, 2021 7:37 am

arkuo wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Yeah that kinda sucks for us fans. But that is the most likely scenario. KP plays his contract out. Luka is barely 25 by then. Which means Cuban has two max slots to sign players with at that time. I figure he goes hard after guys like Devin Booker who are still in their prime at that time.

And why would Devin leave Suns and go to Mavs? First he had to leave, which is a big if and then you have many destinations, he would rather go. Much more realistically that getting second star is Luka leaving. Mavs should build a team around Luka with players, who are still good, are good fit and are realistically attainable. Waiting to KP leave and hoping that someone great will come won't bring anything.
KP can still be traded, there're always desperate teams willing to risk. The problem is that Mavs don't want to admit that trade was failure. It was right decision then to trade for him and it's the right decision now to trade him as soon as possible. It's not only him being always injured, he doesn't bring much even when he's playing, his efficiency is below average for a big, sure he's making 3s, but with that % anyone else can replace those points, his potentially best weapon, being rim protector, is non existent. For less than his salary Mavs could get Bogdanovic and Holmes and be much better team.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#1279 » by Mike lorenzo » Sat May 1, 2021 8:07 am

would they send KP to Spurs (for example) .. just for the savings ?? .. or a ST with DDR?
1+1=11
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,339

Post#1280 » by Mavrelous » Sat May 1, 2021 8:44 am

I’d do DDR +Poeltl for KP in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Dallas Mavericks