ImageImageImage

It's a Tragedy to see the Deadline's Over Post Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Re: It's a Tragedy to see the Deadline's Over Post Trade Thread 

Post#1901 » by GoGreen » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:20 pm

This team might be stuck with Kemba, if that's the case, I really can't see them making a big move this off season. Maybe a lateral one like Kemba for big Al?

Another thing that I'd love to see is a Smart for Lonzo trade. Lonzo/Jaylen/Jayson/Al/Rob starting 5 has ball movement and 3 pt shooting 1-4. Not to mention, if Evan is re-signed, you can have a Lonzo/Evan/JB/JT/Al starting 5, too. 3 pt shooting all over the place!
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,638

Post#1902 » by BK_2020 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:26 pm

OKC don't need Kemba as they are getting Cade this draft.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#1903 » by djFan71 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:58 pm

I think the Knicks would be a good Kemba fit, but they won't pay much/anything. Depends on what else they want to do with their FA money. If they wanna go Ball, then obviously no kemba. But if they strike out, maybe they come to us after that.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#1904 » by ddb » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:34 pm

jmr07019 wrote:I don’t see Smart getting any 20 mill a year offers. Think he’ll be around 15 and I’m fine paying him that

I disagree. I think he will get offers.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#1905 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:17 pm

Ernest wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:Smart is a good passer who doesn’t do it enough and has a terrible shot selection.

I don't think you watch the games.

I guess if you only look at the box scores you can say, "well this guy should have passed to that guy more" But watching the games it seems to me that every time Smart gets the ball and there in a lot of time left on the clock he is looking to pass. Example: Any time he gets an open look at a 3 and there is another open player for a 3 next to him he passes it every time.

When we first got Smart, his rookie year the team sucked. Somehow he got the idea that he better score. So he shot a lot. He missed a lot and it really doesn't matter because that team sucked. What I don't understand is how anyone could still have that idea if they are actually watching the games. Which is why I think you are not. Not just you. I think the Smart bashers are either not watching the games or don't know how to really watch a game.

:roll: Grow up, if someone doesn’t agree with you it doesn’t mean they don’t watch the team. I’ve been posting here for six years, with 10k posts but yeah.....I only ok at the box scores of games..... :noway: If you don’t see Smart hoisting up bad threes seconds into the shot clock than I wonder what you’ve been watching. And yes he does distribute to the veteran players but how many times does he create the young players? In the OKC game how many times did you see him create a look for Langford, Nesmith, or anyone els on a rookie contract? He didn’t......he believed that he needed to score because the team was missing top options. Compare his assist % when Tatum/Brown are on to when they’re off the floor and you’ll see a big difference. And his distributing hasn’t change much from when he was a rookie, actually if anything I think he’s run the pick n roll less than previous years. The best pgs in the league can create the same when anyone is on the floor. Even Kemba, who people call a ball hog, has a better assist % yearly that doesn’t change with the players around him.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#1906 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:45 am

One of two things has to happen. Either the Timelord can play 30 minutes a game for 82 games (plus the postseason, if any), or they have to find another big who is better than the three guys they have (Thompson, Tacko or Kornet). Richaun Holmes would be my target.

I think we are stuck with Kemba unless he really shines in the postseason (assuming we make it this year). But I'd still offer Kemba plus picks and prospects for Lowry, if only to keep Lowry away from the Sixers.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#1907 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:20 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:One of two things has to happen. Either the Timelord can play 30 minutes a game for 82 games (plus the postseason, if any), or they have to find another big who is better than the three guys they have (Thompson, Tacko or Kornet). Richaun Holmes would be my target.

I think we are stuck with Kemba unless he really shines in the postseason (assuming we make it this year). But I'd still offer Kemba plus picks and prospects for Lowry, if only to keep Lowry away from the Sixers.

1) Move Kemba for anything resembling assets
2) Hopefully resign Evan (if he proves worthy)
3) Upgrade backup PF
4) get a center that can cover for the inevitable Rob injury
5) Decide if Smart is starting PG or SG and fill role as needed.

IMO, 5 things that have to be done this offseason.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,638

Post#1908 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:27 pm

bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#1909 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:43 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:One of two things has to happen. Either the Timelord can play 30 minutes a game for 82 games (plus the postseason, if any), or they have to find another big who is better than the three guys they have (Thompson, Tacko or Kornet). Richaun Holmes would be my target.

3) Upgrade backup PF

Lately I'm feeling like we're not gonna get a good deal for Kemba and we're not gonna be able to move him this offseason. So it's gonna come down to re-signing Fournier or trading Smart. No real evidence to base this on. Just a gut feeling.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#1910 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:59 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:

3) Upgrade backup PF

Lately I'm feeling like we're not gonna get a good deal for Kemba and we're not gonna be able to move him this offseason. So it's gonna come down to re-signing Fournier or trading Smart. No real evidence to base this on. Just a gut feeling.

I am back and forth on the whole offseason thing.

I do think that Danny has plans, he knows everything sucks and I hope that he wants to fix it.

Fournier- I do believe he is a sign and trade candidate this offseason as well, so perhaps he can be signed and sent elsewhere
IE Fournier and Romeo for a resigned Ball. It not likely but an option.

Kemba - I do think there is alot better market than anyone on this board wants to admit. He is potentially an expiring deal as 2022-2023 is a player option. If Kemba proves healthy I think he would opt out.

And even if not, he is an allstar that will/can improve a team and put butts in the seats. Something alot of teams will need post covid.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#1911 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:34 pm

Again, there is almost no chance to get Ball to boston this year. Even if he wanted here. Pelicans wanted him here, and pelicans wanted everything we offered. Because of the CBA, pretty much no go.

The next offseason his BYC falls off and it's not a sign and trade, we can trade for him easy, if again pelicans wanted what we had.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#1912 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat May 1, 2021 5:01 am

Darth Celtic wrote:Again, there is almost no chance to get Ball to boston this year. Even if he wanted here. Pelicans wanted him here, and pelicans wanted everything we offered. Because of the CBA, pretty much no go.

The next offseason his BYC falls off and it's not a sign and trade, we can trade for him easy, if again pelicans wanted what we had.

Really?

I'm sure you're right in the case of a simple two-team deal, but what if Fournier were to be S&Ted to a third team?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#1913 » by Curmudgeon » Sat May 1, 2021 2:46 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:Again, there is almost no chance to get Ball to boston this year. Even if he wanted here. Pelicans wanted him here, and pelicans wanted everything we offered. Because of the CBA, pretty much no go.

Really?

I'm sure you're right in the case of a simple two-team deal, but what if Fournier were to be S&Ted to a third team?

Ball could accept his QO and then consent to be traded to Boston, but when his deal expired the Celtics would only have non-Bird rights and it would be impossible to keep him.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#1914 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat May 1, 2021 2:57 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:

Really?

Ball could accept his QO and then consent to be traded to Boston, but when his deal expired the Celtics would only have non-Bird rights and it would be impossible to keep him.

I wasn't thinking of that kind of thing.

Rather, the quasi-BYC issue (technically it's not called BYC any more) is that a team can't take as much money in as the other team needs to send out. A third team who takes salary into cap room could solve that problem.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#1915 » by Darth Celtic » Sat May 1, 2021 3:10 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
Really?

Rather, the quasi-BYC issue (technically it's not called BYC any more) is that a team can't take as much money in as the other team needs to send out. A third team who takes salary into cap room could solve that problem.

none of it will work as unless we renounce all our players including Fournier, we will be over the apron enough that we can't accept a sign and trade. And again, unless he takes his QO and ok's the trade to us knowing he can't get a raise with us the next season.... (0 chance) he can't come here.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#1916 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat May 1, 2021 3:39 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

none of it will work as unless we renounce all our players including Fournier, we will be over the apron enough that we can't accept a sign and trade. And again, unless he takes his QO and ok's the trade to us knowing he can't get a raise with us the next season.... (0 chance) he can't come here.

Oh, right. I wasn't checking for the apron rule(s). Yep. Apron number is a little over $143 million. Paying Fournier or trading him for similar salary would take us way over that level.

By the way -- this means we aren't getting Kelly Olynyk either, if one assumes he'd need to be paid either the non-taxpayer MLE or a similar amount via S&T. ;)

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q20
https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BOS.html
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2021/
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#1917 » by GoGreen » Sat May 1, 2021 5:04 pm

Well damn, I guess my Lonzo dreams will be squashed for at least one more year
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#1918 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat May 1, 2021 5:51 pm

In the 1980s, 60% of your minutes went to perimeter players. Now 70-80% is common. Further, draft gambles/projects/flyers tend to work better on bigs these days.

In line with that, the Celtics have invested much, much less in bigs than perimeter players, with Time Lord the only significant success among a number of low-cost flyers.

Scheming to get yet more perimeter players seems pointless to me. But we could use another bouncy big. (Time Lord is hard to replicate. But Time Lord without the passing would be a lot like Nerlens Noel.) We could also use a better version of Grant/Semi (maybe Grant will still evolve into that role) or an Aaron-Gordon-like alternative.

Problem: Whoever we get won't be in line for minutes next season. So is there any productive path other than draft-and-develop?
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#1919 » by djFan71 » Sat May 1, 2021 6:47 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

Pretty much would have to trade Kemba to the Knicks first for minimal salary return and use the TPE to absorb Lonzo in an S&T. Even then we'd be hard-capped again. So, yeah, super likely...
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#1920 » by Curmudgeon » Sun May 2, 2021 3:26 pm

If Nesmith keeps it up, there is absolutely no reason to draft or trade for another wing player. They need another good rebounder and if they can't trade for one (once again I would point out that Richaun Holmes fits exactly into the Kanter trade exception) they should be looking at Kai Jones, Ousmane Garuba or one of the big international players in the second round.

Return to Boston Celtics