ImageImageImageImageImage

This summer is going to be the most important of Myers' career.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Re: This summer is going to be the most important of Myers' career. 

Post#21 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:59 pm

Good news....is we are at least likely to be a good team for the next 5 years.

We are a bit spoiled...for sure. We may never get back to that elite level...but I think we'll be at least a good team.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 426

Post#22 » by superunknown » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:17 pm

wco81 wrote:I keep asking the Myers haters. Who are you going to get as the replacement?

Any good asst. GMs who've stolen their boss' secrets?

Maybe if Tim Connelly's deal is up, Lacob could throw a lot of money at him. Actually the Nuggets owner has deeper pockets.

Likely we get someone who's an acolyte of Morey.

Or maybe a smaller market club GM looking to get paid more.

Or are they going to promote an ex-player with no experience like Brand and hope for the best?

I don't think to fall into the myers haters group
having said that, I wouldn't mind masai ujiri as GM if there was a chance to land him.
and if it's just a matter of $$, well lacob shell out around $68M in luxury bill for oubre without blinking an eye, so I guess $$ wouldn't be a deal breaker.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#23 » by sonnyhill » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:13 pm

superunknown wrote:
wco81 wrote:I keep asking the Myers haters. Who are you going to get as the replacement?

Maybe if Tim Connelly's deal is up, Lacob could throw a lot of money at him. Actually the Nuggets owner has deeper pockets.

Or are they going to promote an ex-player with no experience like Brand and hope for the best?

having said that, I wouldn't mind masai ujiri as GM if there was a chance to land him.
and if it's just a matter of $$, well lacob shell out around $68M in luxury bill for oubre without blinking an eye, so I guess $$ wouldn't be a deal breaker.

It might make sense to move Myers out of the organization, especially after how he had bungled the KD departure, and move Kerr away from the bench and upstairs as the new GM. The players are tuning out Kerr's emphasis on playing defense, and it might be time to bring in a new voice to lead the team from the bench (Mark Few and John Calipari come immediately to mind; both are very different, but are also both winners).

I am not a Myers hater (nor was I a Mark Jackson hater either); yet, it is good for an organization to be constantly improving and not stuck in a "time warp" resting on the laurels of its past successes. Replacing and upgrading Myers is very similar to replacing and upgrading Jackson.

I do like your reference to Ujiri; yet, would he leave Toronto?
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 426

Post#24 » by superunknown » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:30 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
superunknown wrote:

It might make sense to move Myers out of the organization, especially after how he had bungled the KD departure, and move Kerr away from the bench and upstairs as the new GM. The players are tuning out Kerr's emphasis on playing defense, and it might be time to bring in a new voice to lead the team from the bench (Mark Few and John Calipari come immediately to mind; both are very different, but are also both winners).

I am not a Myers hater (nor was I a Mark Jackson hater either); yet, it is good for an organization to be constantly improving and not stuck in a "time warp" resting on the laurels of its past successes. Replacing and upgrading Myers is very similar to replacing and upgrading Jackson.

I do like your reference to Ujiri; yet, would he leave Toronto?

he's in the final year of his 8 year deal and he still hasn't signed the extension, he only said he would visit a contract extension in the summer when the season is over, so until he does I guess it's still possible to lure him out of TOR. of course it will be expensive, but as I mentioned earlier I don't think this would be such a big deal.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#25 » by a8bil » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:54 am

I agree a very important summer. The chance to pick high in a draft that is widely acknowledged to be one of the best in recent years, presents an opportunity that Myers had better not waste.

That said, I just don't get the blinders-on arguments that are constantly made on this board about Kerr, Myers, etc. GSW is fighting two major hurdles: (1) they have been at the bottom of the draft for half a decade; and (2) they are in salary cap hell, with one max player on the shelf for his second year. Look around the league...getting a starter at the bottom of the draft is VERY hard. There are only a handful of those players around the league -- starters taken low 1st or 2nd round -- despite dozens of players being drafted each year. There is obviously luck involved, but even if you find a gem, it usually takes a few years for a player to prove themselves. After all, they're not a lottery pick for a reason. Without getting lucky with a draft pick, you're relegated to minimum contract free agents, and/or an exception, and unless you look like a contender to start the season, good luck getting a quality vet to sign. That's just reality, but so many threads and posts here pretend like these constraints don't exist. It's just headscratching.
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#26 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:40 am

Brining this one back up....
Myers last couple of moves...have been awful. Wannamaker proved to be really bad. Not even a stable vet presence.
Oubre is a horrible fit for this team. They have played better WITHOUT him much of the time.
Wiseman is likely a long term good center. But he was AWFUL in his first year for the team.

So that's three very bad pickups (one costing 80 Million in penalty) and....
Warriors are BETTER PLAYING WITHOUT ALL THREE OF THOSE PLAYERS.

I'm not going to dump on Myers for his career...but this recent hot garbage isn't the best indicator for the off season.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#27 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:39 am

me: hey, maybe Myers should trade a 2nd rounder for KPJ, low risk high reward

Myers: nope

KPJ: 50 point game

no creativity, no imagination, no idea how to team build, disconnected from what made this team great, has no idea what works in this scheme and offense. clown.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#28 » by TB » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:49 pm

Last summer was supposed to be the most important. He had 4 ways to improve roster:

TPE - Oubre
#2 - Wiseman
MLE - Wanamaker
DPE - nada

It would actually be tough to swap those 4 decisions with different players and have the outcome be worse.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I don't think there is any denying that we are a top 4 seed if you swap Oubre with Thad, Wiseman with Hali, Batum or Noel with Wanamaker, and use the DPE on Rose.

As for this next offseason, well ya it now becomes Bob's most important offseason. Especially because if he screws it up there is absolutely a chance Steph is gone and nobody would blame him.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#29 » by HiRez » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:21 pm

clyde21 wrote:ship Wiseman off for a serviceable player in the off-season, and yes, try to get 2 stud rooks with our picks (if they convey) who are actually good fits on this team...like a Suggs who you know is a perfect fit on this team, etc. just because someone is a rook doesn't mean they won't contribute. it's about getting the right talent/fit combination always.

The problem is the Wolves are winning games now so this is looking very unlikely. They're already the #4 lottery seed, with only a 19% of getting the #4 or #5 pick. And they're the only team among the bottom 10 teams that's playing > .500 basketball recently. Chances are very good they'll end up as the #6 seed (only 2 games out), which would only give us a 10% chance of picking in the top 5, and a 50% chance of picking #7 or #8. So Cade, Mobley, Green, Suggs, and Kuminga are all probably out. We need to start looking more at like Barnes, Kispert, Mitchell.
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#30 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:36 pm

Myers need to be big game hunting....Nibbling around the edges for a decent roll player or some G league hopeful just doesn't work.
If he's restricted by cap, he needs to clear it....if he can move Wiggins, Wiseman and Wolves pick FOR A LEGIT SURE THING...he needs to do it.
Warriors winning started when they acquired David Lee (whatever you say about his defense). Then it was Iggy...Bogut for Monta...

IF Warrriors are Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Green, Wiseman and the rest of the same dudes next year....that's Myers and Lacob HOPING Wiseman is decent....Hoping Klay can be what he was...praying that Poole and Paschall will be something.

Myers has to be better than that. Any GM can roll out the same core and a bunch of "hope they can give us something" :(

Light Years? That's snagging Kawhi...Giannis...AD....guys like that. Everything else is at Kings GM level.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,701

Post#31 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:48 pm

Alize Johnson, Mike James, Paul Reed, Dewyane Dedmon, Jeremy Lin,
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#32 » by killmongrel » Sat May 1, 2021 6:35 am

I'm glad more and more people are realizing how dire this summer is for Myers. I'm done being annoyed by this season. Just waiting for this summer.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,366

Post#33 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat May 1, 2021 3:49 pm

Nice mention of Paul Reed there. He was an absolute stud in the GLeague this season. ROY, MVP, All-League 1st team, All-League Defensive team, everything you could imagine. 22/12/2 + 3,8 stocks.

I remember I was very annoyed when we didn't pick him in the 2nd round in this past draft.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#34 » by lars_rosenberg » Sat May 1, 2021 6:00 pm

TB wrote:Last summer was supposed to be the most important. He had 4 ways to improve roster:

TPE - Oubre
#2 - Wiseman
MLE - Wanamaker
DPE - nada

It would actually be tough to swap those 4 decisions with different players and have the outcome be worse.

So true it's infuriating.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#35 » by HiRez » Sat May 1, 2021 7:14 pm

TB wrote:Last summer was supposed to be the most important. He had 4 ways to improve roster:

TPE - Oubre
#2 - Wiseman
MLE - Wanamaker
DPE - nada

Obviously these didn’t work out well, however none of them seemed like terrible decisions at the time, in isolation.

Oubre was coming off his best season ever and brought explosive athleticism that we needed.

Wanamaker I don’t think anyone could have predicted would be as bad as he was (maybe Kerr played him too much though). His history would lead you to believe he’d be a steady veteran bench presence.

Wiseman was a good pick and will be a very good player, could not have predicted the injuries. In hindsight you can say we should have picked a more NBA-ready prospect, but remember the Klay injury happened literally hours before the draft. Scrambling your long-researched draft plans at that point would have been a dangerously reactive move.

The DPE would have cost a fortune in luxury taxes for questionable benefit and we don’t really know who was available and willing to come here, when many moves around the league had already been made.

Collectively it was a bit of a dumpster fire but actually I think all of the moves can be justified in context.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#36 » by clyde21 » Sat May 1, 2021 7:54 pm

HiRez wrote:

TPE - Oubre
#2 - Wiseman
MLE - Wanamaker
DPE - nada

Obviously these didn’t work out well, however none of them seemed like terrible decisions at the time, in isolation.

no, they were all terrible decisions at the time, this isn't hindsight.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#37 » by sonnyhill » Sat May 1, 2021 11:53 pm

Myers and the organization have to decide:
Are the Warriors with the return of Thompson able to compete for championships?
If yes, then the team may need to package young assets and draft picks to acquire another superstar to help the core three (Curry, Thompson and Green) to truly compete.
If no, then the team will need to jettison Curry (he is the only player currently on the roster who could bring back a haul of draft picks and young assets; look at what OKC got in return from the Clippers for Paul George, and Curry is a better player than George).

Is Myers capable, without a Jerry West as a front office consultant, to lead organizational discussions on how best to move the franchise forward?

Also, the other big questions which should be explored are the ones concerning Steve Kerr:
If the org determines that it is going all in with Curry, Thompson, and Green, would another superstar want to play for the team with Kerr barking his "preachy-and-sanctimonious" euphemisms from the sidelines? It got Kerr a real ass-kicking from Michael Jordan when they were teammates in Chicago and most recently led to Durant leaving the Warriors and warning Harden about the cult-of-Kerr culture.
If the org determines that it cannot compete for championships with Curry, Thompson, and Green, and decides to go with the complete rebuild, would Kerr, always the front-runner (similar to Phil Jackson), decide to move on, anyway? If so, who would the team be able to attract to coach a rebuild?

Let's hope that Myers has a strategy, can execute on it, and that the team can get above its current "below mediocrity" place in the standings.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,787

Post#38 » by floppymoose » Sun May 2, 2021 8:19 am

Don't we have a thread by this title every year?

Regardless, this offseason is the peak value Poole will ever have his whole career. I'm hoping Myers cashes in.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#39 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun May 2, 2021 3:48 pm

floppymoose wrote:Don't we have a thread by this title every year?

Regardless, this offseason is the peak value Poole will ever have his whole career. I'm hoping Myers cashes in.

I'm not sure follow. I want to win now. If his peak value is now let's keep him and reap the rewards of that value. If we had a glut of scorer/playmakers off the bench then sure, trade him for a more needed piece but that's not the case. It's not unreasonably to believe he continues to improve as he gets a better grasp of what he can and can't do at this level.

What's the point of trading a 21 year old at a position of need that's just coming into his own as a regular NBA rotation player?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,836

Post#40 » by whatisacenter » Sun May 2, 2021 4:14 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
floppymoose wrote:Don't we have a thread by this title every year?

I'm not sure follow. I want to win now. If his peak value is now let's keep him and reap the rewards of that value. If we had a glut of scorer/playmakers off the bench then sure, trade him for a more needed piece but that's not the case. It's not unreasonably to believe he continues to improve as he gets a better grasp of what he can and can't do at this level.

What's the point of trading a 21 year old at a position of need that's just coming into his own as a regular NBA rotation player?

I don't think Poole would be the main component of a trade and more likely to be an added player in a big trade if he is moved in the offseason. While he has shown a lot of improvement from last year but I don't think other teams would target him.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe

Return to Golden State Warriors