ImageImageImage

Playoff Rotation

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Re: Playoff Rotation 

Post#21 » by youngcrev » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm

Aside from Embiid, Simmons and Harris, I've got no clue who will be closing games for this team. Not a huge gap between Green, Curry, Shake and Hill, so it may just end up being a hot hand kind of thing. And then if we're getting into situational ball, Mattise will probably be out there for defensive possessions.

I think that's the top 8 btw (imo). Dwight will get the traditional backup 5 minutes, but in some series (looking at the Nets specifically), they may not go with a traditional backup 5. Kork sneaks in as the 10th guy that will get situational minutes, but I don't expect him to be on the floor every night.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#22 » by youngcrev » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:09 pm

Shake/Curry gives you the most offense if you're down.

Hill/Green probably would be the guys Doc trusts the most if things are tight but they've got a lead (defend without fouling, make open shots/free throws, don't turn the ball over)

Matisse sneaks in if it's a final shot situation for the opposing team (and I'd lead towards Hill being a better option than Green, but that depends on who Ben and Matisse are defending)
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#23 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:36 pm

I'm pretty sure Doc knows that Shake is the key to a playoff run. Shake will get 25-30 minutes a game in the playoffs. I have no doubt about that.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,419

Post#24 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:58 pm

We all know what our play drops whenever Biid heads to the bench.

That said, aside from closing game, its nice to see that we have a reliable back-up 5 man unit.

Shake
Kork
Thybulle
Tobi
D12

This lessens the torture of the D12-Ben pairing.

I notice Doc even sometimes let GHill in this group playing SF, that lets Thybulle slides to PF.

Ghill
Shake
Kork
Thybulle
D12

Allows us to play more pace and space offense that D12 likes to play with.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,157

Post#25 » by M2J » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:13 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I'm pretty sure Doc knows that Shake is the key to a playoff run. Shake will get 25-30 minutes a game in the playoffs. I have no doubt about that.

He's playing for sure. 20-25 minutes.

Rotations in the last game were promising. Hill was 6th man in for Tobi. Good fit. Then Shake for Ben. Joel played later into the first with them. Before all bench came in with Hill, Shake, Dwight, Kork, Thybulle.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#26 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:06 pm

76ciology wrote:We all know what our play drops whenever Biid heads to the bench.

That said, aside from closing game, its nice to see that we have a reliable back-up 5 man unit.

Shake
Kork
Thybulle
Tobi
D12

This lessens the torture of the D12-Ben pairing.

I notice Doc even sometimes let GHill in this group playing SF, that lets Thybulle slides to PF.

Ghill
Shake
Kork
Thybulle
D12

Allows us to play more pace and space offense that D12 likes to play with.

^

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#27 » by youngcrev » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:20 pm

I'd be pretty surprised if Doc played a 5 man bench lineup in a playoff game that wasn't out of hand.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#28 » by 76ciology » Sat May 1, 2021 6:49 am

youngcrev wrote:I'd be pretty surprised if Doc played a 5 man bench lineup in a playoff game that wasn't out of hand.

I also dont expect he will.

He always have either Ben-Biid or Tobi-D12 pairing on almost all of his 5 man units, unless it’s a blowout.

And say Ben or Tobi is in foul trouble, he’ll replace either one with GHill.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,043

Post#29 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 1, 2021 1:12 pm

Feel like it might as simple as Simmons and Harris playing almost the entire game, Embiid playing like 36 with Dwight filling in the rest, Curry, Green and Hill all playing “starter” minutes and Thybulle and Shake filling in the cracks. Maybe Thybulle or Shake cut into curry’s minutes.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#30 » by youngcrev » Sat May 1, 2021 1:29 pm

76ciology wrote:
youngcrev wrote:I'd be pretty surprised if Doc played a 5 man bench lineup in a playoff game that wasn't out of hand.

I also dont expect he will.

He always have either Ben-Biid or Tobi-D12 pairing on almost all of his 5 man units, unless it’s a blowout.

And say Ben or Tobi is in foul trouble, he’ll replace either one with GHill.

I imagine it would be Thybulle and Korkmaz benefitting from the need for more forward minutes. Hill is likely going to be out there regardless
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#31 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 1, 2021 4:20 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Kork should be in the rotation over Shake.

Simmons(24)/Hill(24)
Curry(28)/Korkmaz(12)/Thybulle(8)
Green(32)/Thybulle(16)
Harris(36)/Simmons(12)
Embiid(36)/Howard(12)

With Korkmaz and Thybulle's minutes fluctuating based on matchup and what's needed.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#32 » by LloydFree » Sat May 1, 2021 6:49 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Feel like it might as simple as Simmons and Harris playing almost the entire game, Embiid playing like 36 with Dwight filling in the rest, Curry, Green and Hill all playing “starter” minutes and Thybulle and Shake filling in the cracks. Maybe Thybulle or Shake cut into curry’s minutes.

I don't think Dwight Howard plays in every series. Based on how the Bucks defend, I don't think Howard plays in a Milwaukee series, and I'm doubtful he plays much in a Miami series.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#33 » by Negrodamus » Sat May 1, 2021 9:30 pm

Plays Shake made last night that resulted in zero stats for him but points for us:

https://youtu.be/pNPLesv6StA?t=153 - Collapses defense, misses shot, Dwight gets easy rebound/putback
https://youtu.be/pNPLesv6StA?t=165 - Great read and tough pass to Korkmaz who gets an easy lane to the basket and oop to Dwight
https://youtu.be/pNPLesv6StA?t=175 - Once again collapses the defense, Dwight gets the O-Reb and easy putback

That's the power of having a guy that creates offense. Maxey, Ben, Embiid and Tobias are the only other ones who can do it. Tobi and Shake are the only ones who have legit 3pt shots.

He's not CJ McCollum, but he's all we have right now and he's infinitely more important than our strictly C&S guys (Kork, Curry).
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#34 » by sixers4real » Sat May 1, 2021 9:51 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Feel like it might as simple as Simmons and Harris playing almost the entire game, Embiid playing like 36 with Dwight filling in the rest, Curry, Green and Hill all playing “starter” minutes and Thybulle and Shake filling in the cracks. Maybe Thybulle or Shake cut into curry’s minutes.

I don't think Dwight Howard plays in every series. Based on how the Bucks defend, I don't think Howard plays in a Milwaukee series, and I'm doubtful he plays much in a Miami series.

So the RS has already ended, we are #2 seed and the Heat won their play-in game?
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#35 » by LloydFree » Sat May 1, 2021 9:54 pm

Embiid
Harris
Simmons
Green
Hill
Thybulle

Those are the only six players on the team, I feel comfortable playing major minutes in tough playoff games. Seth Curry, only if he's scorching hot or his defensive matchup isn't too challenging. Shake and Korkmaz only in small doses to give breathers when Tobias and or Simmons are off the floor.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,043

Post#36 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 1, 2021 11:50 pm

LloydFree wrote:

Might get forced out of the rotation mid series but I don’t think we’ve seen anything indicating that Doc wouldn’t try to play him.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#37 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 2, 2021 3:28 am

Kormaz's newfound defensive value makes him an intriguing playoff contributor.

If he's generating steals at the same rate while providing his quick-trigger shotmaking, he's providing a lot of playoff value.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,984

Post#38 » by Murray_17 » Sun May 2, 2021 10:52 pm

Read on Twitter

So i guess the 5 starters plus Dwight, Shake, Matisse, Hill and Furkan. The other 2 must be, i guess, Maxey and Scott depending on situation or match up
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#39 » by Arsenal » Sun May 2, 2021 11:05 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Read on Twitter

So i guess the 5 starters plus Dwight, Shake, Matisse, Hill and Furkan. The other 2 must be, i guess, Maxey and Scott depending on situation or match up

I see no reason we can't run a 10 man rotation in the 1st two rounds assuming we get the #1 seed.

We'll only need to tighten our rotation in the ECF against the Nets, or maybe against the Bucks.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 535

Post#40 » by PhillyNj » Mon May 3, 2021 12:03 am

SixthStreet wrote:Shake makes too many boneheaded fouls and mental lapses on his own man and rotations on defense to play much in deeper rounds. All the other wings/guards are more reliable on that end.

Agreed. Shake is one of the Dumbest players I have ever seen.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers