Kyrie Irving and Jimmy Butler
100%

Total votes: 16

durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,151

Wall & PG13 vs Irving & Butler 

Post#1 » by durantbird » Sun May 2, 2021 6:47 am

Which duo would you take if all in prime? John Wall and Paul George, or Kyrie Irving and Jimmy Butler?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,586

Re: Wall & PG13 vs Irving & Butler 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Sun May 2, 2021 7:34 am

Should we assume health and that Jimmy won't punch Kyrie in the face or should we take personalities into account as well?

If you can assume both, it's Jimmy and Kyrie. Butler gives a second playmaker and they provide more efficient scoring, enough to more than offset the other pair's superior defense.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#3 » by Pelly24 » Sun May 2, 2021 7:35 am

I wonder how well the best version of Wall fits in 2018-2021 versus 2014-2017.

I think Kyrie's shooting ability and ability to score and space the floor makes a big difference, and Kyrie just peaked (is peaking) as a better, more useful/portable player. And I just think Jimmy Butler's a better player than PG. He's basically a good 1st option for a bunch of teams, and he can be nearly as impactful in a any role, whether it's the hustle guy that gets you 16 a game and acts as a tertiary playmaker who plays defense, the primary ball handler who gets 22/8/8, the guy who closes the games, etc. He could run the offense and let Kyrie handle scoring, or Kyrie could run the offense and let Jimmy be a cutter at times. Both can close.

Wall is a better player than people remember. He was great in 2016-2017. PG is a top 12 or so player now, def. top 15. He can shoot, play defense, pass a bit, score, etc. But I think that, while he can peak higher than Jimmy Butler at times, it's too reliant on his jumper, and he doesn't have nearly the floor game and he isn't the same level of defender as Jimmy at this point.

So give me Jimmy x Kyrie. More dynamic, more versatile, more of an ability to play off each other. Put Kyrie on the Heat, I think they could make the finals.
dcstanley
Sixth Man
And1: 1,281

Post#4 » by dcstanley » Sun May 2, 2021 9:14 am

I like peak PG13 more than Butler but the combo of Butler and Kyrie synergizes better imo. With adequate shooting around them, you can envision an offense resembling a poor man's version of the 2015-2017 Cavs.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,318

Post#5 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sun May 2, 2021 9:18 am

Pelly24 wrote:I wonder how well the best version of Wall fits in 2018-2021 versus 2014-2017.

I think Kyrie's shooting ability and ability to score and space the floor makes a big difference, and Kyrie just peaked (is peaking) as a better, more useful/portable player. And I just think Jimmy Butler's a better player than PG. He's basically a good 1st option for a bunch of teams, and he can be nearly as impactful in a any role, whether it's the hustle guy that gets you 16 a game and acts as a tertiary playmaker who plays defense, the primary ball handler who gets 22/8/8, the guy who closes the games, etc. He could run the offense and let Kyrie handle scoring, or Kyrie could run the offense and let Jimmy be a cutter at times. Both can close.

Wall is a better player than people remember. He was great in 2016-2017. PG is a top 12 or so player now, def. top 15. He can shoot, play defense, pass a bit, score, etc. But I think that, while he can peak higher than Jimmy Butler at times, it's too reliant on his jumper, and he doesn't have nearly the floor game and he isn't the same level of defender as Jimmy at this point.

So give me Jimmy x Kyrie. More dynamic, more versatile, more of an ability to play off each other. Put Kyrie on the Heat, I think they could make the finals.

He does?

Butler's series vs the Lakers is better than anything PG has ever done in the playoffs.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#6 » by Pelly24 » Sun May 2, 2021 4:25 pm

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:I wonder how well the best version of Wall fits in 2018-2021 versus 2014-2017.

He does?

Butler's series vs the Lakers is better than anything PG has ever done in the playoffs.

Yeah I thought about that, that's a good point. I think PG 2018-2019 might still be a higher regular season peak, though.
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,058

Post#7 » by Johnny Tomala » Mon May 3, 2021 9:49 pm

Irving was always better than Wall and Butler is better than George. Irving & Butler, no brainer.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,227

Post#8 » by Ambrose » Tue May 4, 2021 4:12 pm

Yeah, if you can assume health and not killing your teammate this is clearly Irving/Butler. Butler is the most impactful guy and Irving is better than Wall. I'd roll the dice on that duo without the contingencies but it'd be closer.

Return to Player Comparisons