ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,818

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#221 » by RookieStar » Sun May 2, 2021 9:05 am

I meant to say aside from Dwight where he did it in 1 summer, all those guys took more than 2-3 season to get those gains
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#222 » by drsd » Sun May 2, 2021 9:06 am

RookieStar wrote:Aside from Dwight where he probably went to a steroid covention for the summer and insisted on taking all the free sample, he's right.. it will take timr for Mobley to go to his desired weihht and body for the C duties

I thought the league was no record that, and I quote, "NBA players do not take PEDs."

(( what a joke !!! ))

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#223 » by basketballRob » Sun May 2, 2021 12:00 pm

Players that use PED's like Ayton and Collins maintain some of the gains they made, even after they stop using. That's like a young guy who works out like crazy when he's younger, some of that will carry over the rest of his life.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#224 » by Xatticus » Sun May 2, 2021 2:11 pm

I'm not passing on Mobley due to his weight. His defensive value comes from his ability to protect the rim and defend in space. There just aren't many players that are good at both. I couldn't give a **** less if he can body up Valanciunias or Kanter if he is capable of sharing the floor with a conventional five.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,923

Post#225 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 2, 2021 3:07 pm

If Orlando’s starting front court is potentially:

Isaac - Mobley - WCJr

You better hope Cole Anthony and RJ Hampton start putting up Trailblazers/Warriors back court numbers. That’s the only way it would alleviate having lukewarm production from 3/5 spots on the floor offensively.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#226 » by MagicFan101 » Sun May 2, 2021 6:57 pm

MagicMatic wrote:If Orlando’s starting front court is potentially:

Isaac - Mobley - WCJr

You better hope Cole Anthony and RJ Hampton start putting up Trailblazers/Warriors back court numbers. That’s the only way it would alleviate having lukewarm production from 3/5 spots on the floor offensively.

It’s not just Cole, RJ and Fultz.

The Chicago pick now sits at #7. If that conveys we should have our pick of promising SGs such as Keon Johnson, James Bouknight and Moses Moody to develop in our backcourt as well.

... to name a few.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#227 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 2, 2021 7:31 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:

Isaac - Mobley - WCJr

The Chicago pick now sits at #7. If that conveys we should have our pick of promising SGs such as Keon Johnson, James Bouknight and Moses Moody to develop in our backcourt as well.

... to name a few.

True.

I like the idea of Keon, Bouknight, Kispert and Springer with the Bulls pick regardless of who Orlando winds up with their pick.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Post#228 » by GelbeWand09 » Sun May 2, 2021 7:37 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Isaac - Mobley - WCJr

... to name a few.

True.

I like the idea of Keon, Bouknight, Kispert and Springer with the Bulls pick regardless of who Orlando winds up with their pick.

In that scenario i still prefer Isaac & Mobley (or WCJ & Isaac with Mobley from the bench as a rookie) at C & PF + Chuma or a real SF. I dont care if Isaac or Mobley got some trouble guarding Kanter, Jokic or Embiid. Isaac was much stronger last year anyway. Knicks got the best defense in the leaque with skinny Noel at C.
I think the positives outweigh the negatives in that case.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#229 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 2, 2021 8:55 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

... to name a few.

True.

In that scenario i still prefer Isaac & Mobley (or WCJ & Isaac with Mobley from the bench as a rookie) at C & PF + Chuma or a real SF. I dont care if Isaac or Mobley got some trouble guarding Kanter, Jokic or Embiid. Isaac was much stronger last year anyway. Knicks got the best defense in the leaque with skinny Noel at C.
I think the positives outweigh the negatives in that case.

Yeah, I don’t think you could justify anyone coming off the bench for this current roster as a top 5 pick. That’s some Bamba level decision making. This franchise needs to move away from having stacked talent in the front court and playing slow paced basketball.

I get that Clifford like to play slow, no mistakes, defense focused basketball. The reality is that Orlando lacks offense in spades. It needs a massive overhaul after getting rid of Vuc/Fournier/AG mismatch nonsense that was obviously never effective from the get go to anyone that thought more than 2 seconds about it.

Where I fail to see the reasoning with “might as well spend the pick on him regardless” is that it means we traded Vuc for two bigs and whoever becomes the bulls pick. That’s fine, but you would want to see some kind of change from the previous system. Not replicate the inefficient system with a familiarly similar ineffective one.

Anyway... I’ll stop with the Mobley pick hate in this thread. We will see what happens. I’m just going to hope Orlando can rehaul their identity, with a top 3-4 pick, and not fall back into being an obscure fringe playoff team that lacks the offensive capability. I’ll leave it at that.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#230 » by MagicFan101 » Sun May 2, 2021 9:52 pm

Mobley is definitely in a lower tier for me.

I want Cade or Green. Suggs would be the 1b for me.

I would not lose sleep if we “settled” for Mobley at 4 if all 3 guards were off the board.

Kuminga would be a bit disappointing at 5 but I would quickly turn to excitement for his potential.

... if we end up with NONE of those 5 I turn to full doom and gloom quick. We need to package both picks and anything else to move up if we miss on a top 5.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#231 » by nicnac215 » Sun May 2, 2021 10:12 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:Mobley is definitely in a lower tier for me.

I want Cade or Green. Suggs would be the 1b for me.

I would not lose sleep if we “settled” for Mobley at 4 if all 3 guards were off the board.

Kuminga would be a bit disappointing at 5 but I would quickly turn to excitement for his potential.

... if we end up with NONE of those 5 I turn to full doom and gloom quick. We need to package both picks and anything else to move up if we miss on a top 5.

We need to move up and get Green or Cade no matter what. Suggs/Mobley/Kuminga are nice but we need one of those two.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#232 » by basketballRob » Sun May 2, 2021 10:17 pm

If we end up with the 6th pick who do you take? I think I like Barnes. He can handle the ball and play defense on day 1.

MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#233 » by MagicFan101 » Sun May 2, 2021 10:34 pm

basketballRob wrote:If we end up with the 6th pick who do you take? I think I like Barnes. He can handle the ball and play defense on day 1.

I think we get on the phones and don’t take no for an answer on a trade up.

We have two picks this year, multiple future picks owed and young players. Nothing is off the table.

Find a trade partner.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#234 » by basketballRob » Sun May 2, 2021 10:48 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If we end up with the 6th pick who do you take? I think I like Barnes. He can handle the ball and play defense on day 1.

I think we get on the phones and don’t take no for an answer on a trade up.

We have two picks this year, multiple future picks owed and young players. Nothing is off the table.

Find a trade partner.
I doubt anyone trades a top 5 pick in this draft.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,350

Post#235 » by Knightro » Sun May 2, 2021 10:59 pm

Aggressively explore a trade up. Bulls pick. Bulls other pick. Nuggets pick. Take a bad contract with the Fournier TPE. Ross. Bamba. Hampton. Whatever it takes.

If that fails and they have to make a pick at 6, I would take Barnes.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#236 » by PrimeThyme » Mon May 3, 2021 1:10 am

Barnes would get absolutely eaten alive by this fanbase. Like worse than any top 10 selection we've had over the past 8 years.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#237 » by KillMonger » Mon May 3, 2021 2:07 am

barnes is a no go for me....too limited....another player we would have to teach to shoot.....etc
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,287

Post#238 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 3, 2021 5:52 am

Barnes is basically Gordon with bit better passing but not as athletic. Sounds like perfect 4th offensive option on team that matters
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#239 » by Bensational » Mon May 3, 2021 6:52 am

pepe1991 wrote:Barnes is basically Gordon with bit better passing but not as athletic. Sounds like perfect 4th offensive option on team that matters

I think Barnes has a much more fluid handle and instincts on the ball than Gordon, and he could be the better defender too. But his lack of touch on shots will cripple his potential and I don’t think he can overcome that. I see him as closer to Kyle Anderson than Ben Simmons, as examples of that archetype.

He looks like a role player with no star potential so I wouldn’t spend a lottery pick on him.

If we’re out of the top 5 then Keon and Springer are my targets, with Giddey after that.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,287

Post#240 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 3, 2021 7:43 am

Bensational wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Barnes is basically Gordon with bit better passing but not as athletic. Sounds like perfect 4th offensive option on team that matters

I think Barnes has a much more fluid handle and instincts on the ball than Gordon, and he could be the better defender too. But his lack of touch on shots will cripple his potential and I don’t think he can overcome that. I see him as closer to Kyle Anderson than Ben Simmons, as examples of that archetype.

He looks like a role player with no star potential so I wouldn’t spend a lottery pick on him.

If we’re out of the top 5 then Keon and Springer are my targets, with Giddey after that.

I just don't see any star potential pass Green, Cade & Suggs.
I can talk myself into Mobley but it feels like continuation of execlly same archtype of "build" of Magic roster like they did in past.
3 PF/C playing along side each other and once again, no ballhandlers and shooters in sight.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon

Return to Orlando Magic