ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,005

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#1261 » by KillMonger » Mon May 3, 2021 8:04 am

Great shot at the end, it was kind of a prayer but it went in. Showing flashes is all he needs to do year 1. However even though he finished well i remember him having quite a few turnovers…..the kind of turnovers i hate…the loose handle turnovers….dribbling into double teams trying to split the defense…..he got a ways to go but it can’t because denied he’s showing flashes

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#1262 » by Xatticus » Mon May 3, 2021 8:49 am

The Real Dalic wrote:
SOUL wrote:Also it reminds me of like, when Oladipo jumped on the scorer's table or something out of excitement and people were mad. Such a weird fanbase. I feel like our fans are the equivalent of the 80 year old neighbors who don't like kids playing in the front yard because they're too loud and rambunctious.

It's a lost season, the dude just hit two game winners this year, a feeling none of us will get to know at this level.. and the only real negative thing I can see coming from it is him thinking he has to be the #1 option when he doesn't have that skillset (yet, it may come or not), but the dude is a breath of fresh air personality wise. People were okay with Dwight's very corny playfulness and fake Christianity but Cole just doesn't really have a filter and speaks in the moment.

Plus him being like this now means he's not faking it when the Magic are frontrunning or a good team, talk your **** even when you're bad.. why not?

People have a bizarre hatred of the guy for no reason. He's been a good rookie who's been improving all year, but people still refuse to give him credit and instead hate on him for celebrating hitting a game winner. Why? I actually don't get it. So many here really want to be proven right about him instead of cheering for him and hoping he succeeds.

That's probably true to some extent, but it goes both ways. There are certainly people around here that are overstating what he is doing this year. He is a rookie that has had a rather rough year with some bright spots sprinkled throughout.

You hit game-winning shots because you take them. I'm not making too much of it. I'm not a fan of irrationally confident players, not because I disdain the personality type, but because it almost always results in a player that is doing more harm than good, or perhaps a player that is doing less good than they would be doing if they reined it in a bit (Westbrook). That's where Anthony is right now.

I stated my opinion of him before the draft, so I'm not going to rehash that right now. I can say that it is way too early to make a judgement either way. All we can do is wait it out and hope that he develops, as should be the case with any young player we bring in.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#1263 » by Skin » Mon May 3, 2021 8:54 am

Cole is not good enough to be thinking "THIS IS MY CITY!!!"

This is a reveal into his true character. He thinks he's better than he is. He thinks he's a star. He couldn't be more wrong about himself. He feels like it's his responsibility and his right is his to jack up shots.

He thinks he's an alpha but he doesn't have the game to be an alpha. That's terrible.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,629

Post#1264 » by thelead » Mon May 3, 2021 1:45 pm

I thought player minutes =/= development though. Wasn't that the conversation here just a few months ago? Just 'giving' minutes to young guys didn't do anything. That was the propaganda around here over the last few years.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,287

Post#1265 » by Knightro » Mon May 3, 2021 2:07 pm

drsd wrote:
tiderulz wrote:Coles stat line was decent, but he has to get better shot selection. 6-15 is not good.

And-1

If the game had been lost, the narrative would have been "PG inefficiency".

Haven't we graduated past using field goal percentage to measure efficiency?

Cole's TS% for the game was .655. If he did that every game, we'd be building him a friggin statue.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,629

Post#1266 » by thelead » Mon May 3, 2021 2:13 pm

Knightro wrote:
drsd wrote:
tiderulz wrote:Coles stat line was decent, but he has to get better shot selection. 6-15 is not good.

And-1

Cole's TS% for the game was .655. If he did that every game, we'd be building him a friggin statue.

They're still used to our old players where FT's weren't even a factor because they couldn't get to the line :lol:
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#1267 » by uraverage » Mon May 3, 2021 2:26 pm

Skin wrote:Cole is not good enough to be thinking "THIS IS MY CITY!!!"

This is a reveal into his true character. He thinks he's better than he is. He thinks he's a star. He couldn't be more wrong about himself. He feels like it's his responsibility and his right is his to jack up shots.

He thinks he's an alpha but he doesn't have the game to be an alpha. That's terrible.

I would rather a guy with confidence taking shots. In my opinion if the game is down to the last few seconds and we need a 3 to win i would put the ball in Cole's hands before i would put the ball in Fultz's hands.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,527

Post#1268 » by Bergmaniac » Mon May 3, 2021 2:40 pm

uraverage wrote:I would rather a guy with confidence taking shots. In my opinion if the game is down to the last few seconds and we need a 3 to win i would put the ball in Cole's hands before i would put the ball in Fultz's hands.

Fultz is one of the worst 3 point shooters in the league, so this isn't saying much. 8-)

Anyway, Cole is the best scorer in the current starting lineup, if the goal is to win he should take even more shots. Who else is supposed to be the number one option? Bacon? Harris? Wendell is not 100% and he's not all that good of a scorer either.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,901

Post#1269 » by drsd » Mon May 3, 2021 4:47 pm

Knightro wrote:
drsd wrote:

And-1

Maybe, but if Anthony misses that last 3-ball, the media would have talked about his "limitations". One shot makes all the difference in the narrative in this instance.
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#1270 » by 89Magicfan » Mon May 3, 2021 6:39 pm

Some are jumping on the man for saying this is his city and he loves Orlando?! Tf is the matter with y’all? This is why we can’t have nice things.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#1271 » by Def Swami » Mon May 3, 2021 7:04 pm

89Magicfan wrote:Some are jumping on the man for saying this is his city and he loves Orlando?! Tf is the matter with y’all? This is why we can’t have nice things.

It might be one of the hotter takes I've seen. We prefer him to put his head down, tail between his legs and walk quietly to the locker room? He's 20 years old, dropped 26 and hit the game winner and said he loved the city and taunted Denver. I'm here for it. He wants to be that guy. Let that kid glow.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1272 » by j-ragg » Mon May 3, 2021 8:18 pm

I feel like a lot of players do this “this is my ****” or “this is my city” after a shot like that. Doesn’t bother me.

If Dwayne Bacon did it, it’d bother me.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#1273 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon May 3, 2021 8:21 pm

Def Swami wrote:
89Magicfan wrote:Some are jumping on the man for saying this is his city and he loves Orlando?! Tf is the matter with y’all? This is why we can’t have nice things.

It might be one of the hotter takes I've seen. We prefer him to put his head down, tail between his legs and walk quietly to the locker room? He's 20 years old, dropped 26 and hit the game winner and said he loved the city and taunted Denver. I'm here for it. He wants to be that guy. Let that kid glow.

After years of AG going off to Cali, Evan to France, it is nice to see someone take ownership of this team.
Thought that was one of the best parts of Nelson, he MADE his team get better. Brought everyone together on HIS dime, would love to see Cole do that. It doesn't have to come from the best player on the court.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1274 » by MoMM » Mon May 3, 2021 9:13 pm

j-ragg wrote:If Dwayne Bacon did it, it’d bother me.

Then we could call it Bacon City mmmm, it wouldn't bother me for sure :lol:
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#1275 » by RookieStar » Mon May 3, 2021 9:47 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
Def Swami wrote:

After years of AG going off to Cali, Evan to France, it is nice to see someone take ownership of this team.
Thought that was one of the best parts of Nelson, he MADE his team get better. Brought everyone together on HIS dime, would love to see Cole do that. It doesn't have to come from the best player on the court.

Im with you. As you said, a lot of players want to leave our team and when we have someone that openly proclaims about loving our franchise we turn sour on him? Why? Context : he is just a rookie. Remember that. Its fun/heat of the moment/etc. I mean sure we would all feel weirded out if a long-time nba vet journeyman scrub ( think Tolliver , McGee, even Bacon ) does that interview but its our own rookie.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,519

Post#1276 » by SOUL » Tue May 4, 2021 12:01 am

EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#1277 » by EAS Law » Tue May 4, 2021 2:51 am

Lmao... come on... we finally have someone happy to be here, happy to show emotion, happy not to be some forgettable lame in Orlando and we think it’s a bad thing? Please God I hope Cole Anthony doesn’t read this nonsense. Is Cole Anthony Luka right now? No he isn’t, but with fans like this, who TF would EVER stay in Orlando? I forget that winning or losing, our fanbase is full of unnecessary contrarian criticism.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#1278 » by cedric76 » Tue May 4, 2021 5:12 am

EAS Law wrote:Lmao... come on... we finally have someone happy to be here, happy to show emotion, happy not to be some forgettable lame in Orlando and we think it’s a bad thing? Please God I hope Cole Anthony doesn’t read this nonsense. Is Cole Anthony Luka right now? No he isn’t, but with fans like this, who TF would EVER stay in Orlando? I forget that winning or losing, our fanbase is full of unnecessary contrarian criticism.

our fanbase is so lame, this is so sad
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#1279 » by richi_v25 » Tue May 4, 2021 5:55 am

j-ragg wrote:I feel like a lot of players do this “this is my ****” or “this is my city” after a shot like that. Doesn’t bother me.

If Dwayne Bacon did it, it’d bother me.

But Orlando is literally Bacon's city? He was from Lakeland Florida lol.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#1280 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue May 4, 2021 10:34 am

RookieStar wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:
Def Swami wrote:It might be one of the hotter takes I've seen. We prefer him to put his head down, tail between his legs and walk quietly to the locker room? He's 20 years old, dropped 26 and hit the game winner and said he loved the city and taunted Denver. I'm here for it. He wants to be that guy. Let that kid glow.

Im with you. As you said, a lot of players want to leave our team and when we have someone that openly proclaims about loving our franchise we turn sour on him? Why? Context : he is just a rookie. Remember that. Its fun/heat of the moment/etc. I mean sure we would all feel weirded out if a long-time nba vet journeyman scrub ( think Tolliver , McGee, even Bacon ) does that interview but its our own rookie.

Agree with the context, but if we crush his spirt now, he for sure isn't doing it year 4.

The one thing I've been saying through the years, draft picks are nice, but the most growth from the team will be from the players already on the team.
So, adding a top 5 player will be nice, could be great! but if this team is to climb out of the cellar, it's going to take them all getting better.

Return to Orlando Magic