ImageImageImageImageImage

Does Lillard want out, and what would it take to get him?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Futureisnow
Head Coach
And1: 1,272

Re: Does Lillard want out, and what would it take to get him? 

Post#241 » by Futureisnow » Mon May 3, 2021 6:27 pm

Why would we negotiate against ourselves in a trade for Dame? For any of this to happen, he is going to have to force his way out and say where he wants to go...and if that's us, well, we're the only game in town for them. So picks, sure. Want Knox and Quickley? It'll hurt giving up IQ, but yeah, they get that too. But RJ and/or Randle? No. That defeats the purpose of acquiring him.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Post#242 » by NewKnicks » Mon May 3, 2021 6:38 pm

Oscirus wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
blueNorange wrote:1. just because chris paul can still play, doesn't mean it'll happen with dame
2. cp3 plays defense, dame has never defended anyone in his life
3. cp3 is a pg general, dame isn't
4. cp3 can score 15 points and have a great game, if dame scores 15 he's had a bad game.

You're really selling a top 10 player in the league short. That's what we always do around here. Nobody wanted Chris Paul back when he was available. It was the same talk about him being too old and too expensive. How good would Paul look now on our squad?? We might be contending for the East. I don't see how Dame's talents will magically go away in a few years. Shooting doesn't disappear at 33. He's 30 years old now and people are acting like he's an old man. :lol:

Paul is the exception not the rule. Expecting a 30 year old to all of a sudden pickup defending just cuz he's here is a fool's errand and that's not even including the fact that there's no way that he'd be able to handle rj's minutes on a stripped team.

Making such a trade would at best make us fourth in the east and given that we'd have little to no assets to pick up another star, we'd be screwed.

So you don't want a 30 year old superstar because he doesn't play enough defense? Does Harden?

Again, I'm not saying we should make this move. But the bottom line is Dame is great, and he's far from being on the downside of his career. IF you want to make this move, we'll have to empty the roster. That's the going cost for a superstar in the NBA. We would end up with Randle/Dame and fillers. But that's what teams do when they acquire great players. Look at the Nets and the Lakers and what they gave up. If we were somehow able to keep RJ, I do the trade immediately, but Portland would not a deal with us if he wasn't included.

In the end, Portland will find a much better deal out then what we could offer.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#243 » by NewKnicks » Mon May 3, 2021 6:56 pm

Oscirus wrote:Even ignoring the media side of the issue, if people think its smart to speed up your timeline in a conference with 3 clearly better teams after the trade then don't let me dissuade you. 8-)

That **** worked so well for the nets, its not like they had to spend years digging out from that mess. At least they got three players out of the deal, we're talking going all in on one in the twilight of his.

30 years old is now the 'twilight'? That comment is hilarious in it's own right. Dame has a minimum of star level play for five plus years or more.

Twilight at 30.. WOW. Come on, dude. :lol:
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#244 » by NewKnicks » Mon May 3, 2021 6:59 pm

cgmw wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
cgmw wrote:Oh right, my bad.... because when has Jim Dolan ever signed off on trading assets/youth for established veterans? You're right, if history is our guide Dolan has no interest in acquiring a flashy established veteran name for the marquee. My bad.

When has dolan had this many media people in his front office? Hell, when has he even been this hands off? If you dont think that Dolan gives a damn about how he's perceived in the press, you obviously havent been paying attention.

Honestly WTF? You’re just trolling now.

Ok dude. You’re right. Dolan would turn down Dame or Steph for RJ because marketing. Great call.

I have to agree with cg on this one. Dolan would absolutely jump on trading for a superstar. Dame would be INCREDIBLE for Knicks marketing. He would be on billboards and Knicks promos everywhere.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#245 » by NewKnicks » Mon May 3, 2021 7:04 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

I think we have the benefit of having the Dallas picks that other teams won't have. Setting up Portland with three first rounders in 21 & 23 would be a huge selling point that could help them rebuild quicker. At the end of the day it depends on what's more important to portland, more draft capital or proven players.

Do you really think Portland would be in love with 1st rounders in the 20's for a few years? For a top 10 player? Yeah, okay dude. Keep dreaming.

Everyone not named Randle. plus all firsts will need to be the package. Zero chance RJ would not be included.

It's so hilarious that posters still think Frank/Knox/Obi have any value at all in a trade. They're all throw-ins. It would be RJ and Mitch/and or IQ plus all draft picks for 5 years. That's what it will take to get a top 10 player. And those draft picks are 20's and lower. Knicks are simply not a good trade partner for Dame. And Portland probably says no and would find a different trade partner.

Wow, I've been laughing for 10 minutes at your ingenious response. You're so clever. You try to portray yourself as some incredible analyst and someone who can get deep into discussions regarding players/teams, yet you post some childish response to a post of mine that has some really valid points. By the way, stop saying the word 'like' so much on your podcast. It makes you sound like an idiot.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#246 » by NewKnicks » Mon May 3, 2021 7:08 pm

blueNorange wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
blueNorange wrote:1. just because chris paul can still play, doesn't mean it'll happen with dame
4. cp3 can score 15 points and have a great game, if dame scores 15 he's had a bad game.

You're really selling a top 10 player in the league short. That's what we always do around here. Nobody wanted Chris Paul back when he was available. It was the same talk about him being too old and too expensive. How good would Paul look now on our squad?? We might be contending for the East. I don't see how Dame's talents will magically go away in a few years. Shooting doesn't disappear at 33. He's 30 years old now and people are acting like he's an old man. :lol:

33 is old.

lillard will be old.

He won't be 33 for more than 2 years, so there's that. Plus, 33 is not old at all. :lol:

Dame has at LEAST 5 years before he starts the downside of his career. Why does this have to turn into a tear down a superstar thread because you love RJ? Can't it be both? Can't we have really high expectations of RJ, and also that Dame is a superstar and will be for years to come? Does it always have to turn in 'our player is the best and Dame (or insert player) is bad because he's not part of the Knicks organization'. These types of posts are why Knicks fans still get laughed at.

Go try and post your nonsense of the General Board and see what happens. You'll be laughed out of there because the GB isn't wearing Knicks colored glasses like you do. I dare you to post this on the GB. Would love it if you did. :lol:
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#247 » by NewKnicks » Mon May 3, 2021 7:14 pm

blueNorange wrote:lillard doesn't even allign with randle's age :lol:

trading for lillard means you're building the team around a 31 year old which only dumb franchises do, like when the knicks still tried building around a 32 year old carmelo anthony.

rj is 20, randle is 26 ... get players around their age.

Does AD match with Lebron's age?

Having a 26 year old star and a 30 year old star is not a big deal. Especially if we're talking about a superstar who is 30.

The real question is if we were to dump our assets to acquire Damn, how do we get that 3rd star? If we had Randle/Dame leading the way, another star in the league might want to force themselves out and join the Knicks to become the next Big 3. Just a thought.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#248 » by NewKnicks » Mon May 3, 2021 7:17 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:

The comp is ridiculous.

1) Suns didnt have to sell their core to get CP3. They trade only a lesser PG, a role player like Oubre (UFA next season) and protected pick. Its was a calculated risk.

2) Suns have ketp their young core. Booker/Ayton/Mikal/C.Johnson.

3) Getting a 33+ player is a risky move. Every player loses agilily and gets more suscetible to serious injuries. Risky moves have to be calculate. You cant use a winner risky move as parameter and ignore the failed ones. Hindsight 20/20.

Except Dame is 30, not 33. That point is kind of important. And his best skill is his shooting, which will not be going away any time soon due to age. It's not like he'll wake up on his 34th birthday and not be able to shoot anymore. He's one of the best shooters in the history of the NBA, and also a clutch player. The more I talk about it, the more I think it's a move we should consider.

All that said, we're all b*tchin and moaning over nothing. It's not happening. If Portland dumped Dame, they would be going for a full rebuild, and they'll want better picks than picks in the 20s.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#249 » by cgmw » Mon May 3, 2021 7:44 pm

NewKnicks wrote:
cgmw wrote:
Oscirus wrote:When has dolan had this many media people in his front office? Hell, when has he even been this hands off? If you dont think that Dolan gives a damn about how he's perceived in the press, you obviously havent been paying attention.

Honestly WTF? You’re just trolling now.

Ok dude. You’re right. Dolan would turn down Dame or Steph for RJ because marketing. Great call.

I have to agree with cg on this one. Dolan would absolutely jump on trading for a superstar. Dame would be INCREDIBLE for Knicks marketing. He would be on billboards and Knicks promos everywhere.

Really not even a debate. If Leon is offered either Steph or Dame, he would need a major explanation for turning it down — and “RJ is good for marketing” would get him laughed out of the room.

People act like MSG isn’t a publicly traded company. Shareholders in the NYSE know who Steph Curry is. That’s about all the “marketing” Leon’s bosses care about. If Leon opts out of a trade for somebody of that stature, he’d better be right. Like I said originally, I’ll have my popcorn ready.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Post#250 » by vallen » Mon May 3, 2021 7:48 pm

NewKnicks wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:

The comp is ridiculous.

1) Suns didnt have to sell their core to get CP3. They trade only a lesser PG, a role player like Oubre (UFA next season) and protected pick. Its was a calculated risk.

2) Suns have ketp their young core. Booker/Ayton/Mikal/C.Johnson.

3) Getting a 33+ player is a risky move. Every player loses agilily and gets more suscetible to serious injuries. Risky moves have to be calculate. You cant use a winner risky move as parameter and ignore the failed ones. Hindsight 20/20.

Except Dame is 30, not 33. That point is kind of important. And his best skill is his shooting, which will not be going away any time soon due to age. It's not like he'll wake up on his 34th birthday and not be able to shoot anymore. He's one of the best shooters in the history of the NBA, and also a clutch player. The more I talk about it, the more I think it's a move we should consider.

All that said, we're all b*tchin and moaning over nothing. It's not happening. If Portland dumped Dame, they would be going for a full rebuild, and they'll want better picks than picks in the 20s.

31 in a month, has hit his ceiling, and has nowhere to go but decline. If its for Frank and Knox great, any other moves that might include pics, or players that will be assets for another decade would be the stupidest thing this FO could do. What would be the point of giving away our future for a couple season rental that jams up our cap space and cant compete with much better teams like PHI, GS, LA, BRK, PHO, UTA.....Its just f'n stupid.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#251 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 3, 2021 7:51 pm

NewKnicks wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:

Paul is the exception not the rule. Expecting a 30 year old to all of a sudden pickup defending just cuz he's here is a fool's errand and that's not even including the fact that there's no way that he'd be able to handle rj's minutes on a stripped team.

Making such a trade would at best make us fourth in the east and given that we'd have little to no assets to pick up another star, we'd be screwed.

So you don't want a 30 year old superstar because he doesn't play enough defense? Does Harden?

Again, I'm not saying we should make this move. But the bottom line is Dame is great, and he's far from being on the downside of his career. IF you want to make this move, we'll have to empty the roster. That's the going cost for a superstar in the NBA. We would end up with Randle/Dame and fillers. But that's what teams do when they acquire great players. Look at the Nets and the Lakers and what they gave up. If we were somehow able to keep RJ, I do the trade immediately, but Portland would not a deal with us if he wasn't included.

Suns fan here. Reading this and hoping that Dame goes bye bye from the division. It doesn't make much sense for you guys honestly unless you tho with the amount of stuff needed to be given up to get him. What would you guys say to trying to trade for Fox instead? He fits the timeline better and can probably be had for alot less. Kings already have Halliburton on lock for PG. Obi and picks would get that done I'm sure.

Anyways congrats this season as a fan of another beat-up franchise it's good to a fellow lottery team in the playoffs. Hope you guys make some noise next few months.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,085

Post#252 » by blueNorange » Mon May 3, 2021 8:18 pm

NewKnicks wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:

33 is old.

lillard will be old.

He won't be 33 for more than 2 years, so there's that. Plus, 33 is not old at all. :lol:

Dame has at LEAST 5 years before he starts the downside of his career. Why does this have to turn into a tear down a superstar thread because you love RJ? Can't it be both? Can't we have really high expectations of RJ, and also that Dame is a superstar and will be for years to come? Does it always have to turn in 'our player is the best and Dame (or insert player) is bad because he's not part of the Knicks organization'. These types of posts are why Knicks fans still get laughed at.

Go try and post your nonsense of the General Board and see what happens. You'll be laughed out of there because the GB isn't wearing Knicks colored glasses like you do. I dare you to post this on the GB. Would love it if you did. :lol:

and in 2 years rj will be 22.

and 33 is old, the fact that you're just trying to make it seem like it's not is hilarious.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#253 » by blueNorange » Mon May 3, 2021 8:19 pm

NewKnicks wrote:
blueNorange wrote:lillard doesn't even allign with randle's age :lol:

trading for lillard means you're building the team around a 31 year old which only dumb franchises do, like when the knicks still tried building around a 32 year old carmelo anthony.

rj is 20, randle is 26 ... get players around their age.

Does AD match with Lebron's age?

Having a 26 year old star and a 30 year old star is not a big deal. Especially if we're talking about a superstar who is 30.

The real question is if we were to dump our assets to acquire Damn, how do we get that 3rd star? If we had Randle/Dame leading the way, another star in the league might want to force themselves out and join the Knicks to become the next Big 3. Just a thought.

nope, but they're window is pretty much closed.

they're not winning another chip, not even 2 years.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#254 » by blueNorange » Mon May 3, 2021 8:22 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
Oscirus wrote:Paul is the exception not the rule. Expecting a 30 year old to all of a sudden pickup defending just cuz he's here is a fool's errand and that's not even including the fact that there's no way that he'd be able to handle rj's minutes on a stripped team.

Suns fan here. Reading this and hoping that Dame goes bye bye from the division. It doesn't make much sense for you guys honestly unless you tho with the amount of stuff needed to be given up to get him. What would you guys say to trying to trade for Fox instead? He fits the timeline better and can probably be had for alot less. Kings already have Halliburton on lock for PG. Obi and picks would get that done I'm sure.

Anyways congrats this season as a fan of another beat-up franchise it's good to a fellow lottery team in the playoffs. Hope you guys make some noise next few months.

fox is a player you give up picks for, he's a player that can be with rj and randle for more than 3 years, infact with rj/fox they can be together for 10 years if they wanted too.

dame can't say the same.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,634

Post#255 » by Buttah304 » Mon May 3, 2021 8:33 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:He's not #2 Randle and Rose are always in the game so RJ can play third wheel comfortably the last time RJ was #1 go to option was when Knicks barely beat bucks gsquad I mean come on you guys must watch the game are you blind Rose and Randle clearly the go to option.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

So the post you quoted backed their **** up with facts and yours is still based on opinions. RJ averages 35 minnutes a game to derrick rose's 22 and rose doesnt even start, but sure rj's somehow always playing third wheel in the game to rose and randle. We aint doing that Isaiah thomas **** anymore, if thats what you want from this team, go root for the team across the bridge
You just can't handle the truth if there was another wing who can shoot and play defense RJ wouldn't be playing so many mins. RJ doesn't create offense for anyone he gets easy shots because Randle and Rose break down the defense come on you can't be this blind.

These consecutive posts about RJ in this thread are embarrassing on your part. At first you were mumbling nonsense but now your falling flat on your face. You can always just stop.
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,634

Post#256 » by Buttah304 » Mon May 3, 2021 8:55 pm

I wouldn’t trade RJ in a deal for Dame. He’s only 20 and hasn’t scratched the surface as to how good he will be. Kid is a sophomore shooting damn near 40% from 3PT and is a two way wing which is very rare these days.

Having said that Dame is actually NBA YOUNG. Do people forget he played all 4 years at Weber?

Dame doesn’t have that much ware and tear. He’s played in 674 games. Bradley Beal is a full three years younger at 27 years old to Dames 30. Yet Beal has played in 600 games. CP3 will finish top 4 this year in the MVP running and he’s at almost 1,100 games played. This is a shooters league and Dame is an assassin from deep. That’s not going anywhere.

If you don’t want Dame then provide a logical reason (case in point my stance on not wanting to trade RJ). But to call Dame old is just an uneducated statement.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#257 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 8:56 pm

The Blazers can get both Dallas picks and two additional unprotected firsts. Add in Mitch or Obi, maybe both.

But it would be incredibly stupid to trade RJ or Quickley for a 31-year-old (in two months) point guard who has only led the Blazers past the first round once in his career. I mean what are we doing? Haven't we learned anything?

Lillard doesn't guarantee you championship contention. He has never turnt the Blazers into a legitimate contender. Never. And he's entering the final years of his prime, before his inevitable decline.

The Knicks can finally afford to play the long game (although they do need to make a move with some of their assets sooner than later) because they have a promising young core. Can't we FINALLY enjoy watching the development of a young core and attempt to build a perennial and sustainable contender around them?

I get how it makes sense from your perspective, but I can't believe that some of you would part with RJ or Quickley for Dame. I just can't. What RJ and Quickley are doing as second-year and first-year players respectively is special, and the first thought is let's ship them away for an established star? I hate it.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#258 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 3, 2021 9:45 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:

fox is a player you give up picks for, he's a player that can be with rj and randle for more than 3 years, infact with rj/fox they can be together for 10 years if they wanted too.

dame can't say the same.

That's what I figured too. Idk if Sacramento would be down for that, but they should be trying to move Halliburton into the starter spot. Moving Fox for picks and young guys wouldn't be a bad move.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#259 » by Jimmit79 » Mon May 3, 2021 10:04 pm

Buttah304 wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:
Oscirus wrote:So the post you quoted backed their **** up with facts and yours is still based on opinions. RJ averages 35 minnutes a game to derrick rose's 22 and rose doesnt even start, but sure rj's somehow always playing third wheel in the game to rose and randle. We aint doing that Isaiah thomas **** anymore, if thats what you want from this team, go root for the team across the bridge
You just can't handle the truth if there was another wing who can shoot and play defense RJ wouldn't be playing so many mins. RJ doesn't create offense for anyone he gets easy shots because Randle and Rose break down the defense come on you can't be this blind.

These consecutive posts about RJ in this thread are embarrassing on your part. At first you were mumbling nonsense but now your falling flat on your face. You can always just stop.
The only ones who are falling flat on there faces are ppl who want longevity instead chance at championship. RJ hasnt scratched surface dude he cant compete against the superstar wings of NBA he lacks athleticism and quickness to become a superstar wing and age has nothing to do with this it's something that was determined when he was born RJ just doesn't have specs to be a superstar and your 3 months of RJ fandom is too blind to see it.

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#260 » by blueNorange » Mon May 3, 2021 10:13 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:The only ones who are falling flat on there faces are ppl who want longevity instead chance at championship.

da fuq :lol: :lol: :lol:

nobody thinks this unless you're al davis.
LOL Y U MAD THO?

Return to New York Knicks