Westbrook: 14 Points, 24 Assists, 21 Rebounds (13/17/17 vs the Raptors)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,166

Re: Westbrook: 14 Points, 24 Assists, 21 Rebounds 

Post#21 » by donnieme » Tue May 4, 2021 2:05 am

5/8 shooting too. Always thought he could average 15 assists easily with that motor if he limited the "bad" possessions. He was already averaging double digit assists even with them. The TDs will get the headline but he's playing some of the smartest ball of his career.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#22 » by Optms » Tue May 4, 2021 2:08 am

WestGOAT has the greatest motor I've ever seen.

Most players could never do what he does. Some have the skillset but not the stamina and energy. This man has a legendary engine under the hood. He is relentless. And never gets tired.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#23 » by JN61 » Tue May 4, 2021 2:11 am

Pinkyring wrote:With a better shot selection he'd be first team all NBA every year

This is very interesting discussion. What I mean is the all-nba discussion, for this year. I don't think he is first team, since in my opinion you want to reward winning. But we know he missed all-star game so does he have a chance to be on 3rd or 2nd team?

Guys who compete for all-nba honors this year on guard spots (did I miss someone?):
Doncic (58 games)
Lillard (59 games)
Curry (56)
Harden (42)
Irving (48)
Beal (55)
Booker (60)
Paul (63)
Mitchell (53)
Brown (58)
Young (56)

Westbrook (57)

Does missed games by Harden and Irving hurt them, does guys like Brown, Mitchell, Young, Paul get traction for such awards?

Can a guy averaging 22/11/11 on 44% shooting miss all-nba honors?
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,221

Post#24 » by Dan Z » Tue May 4, 2021 2:14 am

Does anyone still prefer John Wall and a lottery protected 2023 pick over him?

Or is it a case where both teams got what they wanted?
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#25 » by HEKTOR » Tue May 4, 2021 2:16 am

Dan Z wrote:Does anyone still prefer John Wall and a lottery protected 2023 pick over him?

Probably the latter.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#26 » by Metallikid » Tue May 4, 2021 2:17 am

nate33 wrote:I used to be a Westbrook hater, but since he joined the Wizards and I got a chance to watch him every night, he has made me a believer.

Yeah, I know he is inefficient with too many missed shots and turnovers, but his relentless energy is infectious. Also, his assists are legit. He's not just driving and kicking for contested jumpers, he feeds the big men for dunks time and time again. He has made Alex Len, Robin Lopez and Daniel Gafford all look like All-Stars.

Just like all great point guards Russ is so much more than his box score, but at the same time his box score is also usually really dumb.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#27 » by Pinkyring » Tue May 4, 2021 2:18 am

ThomYorke wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Miami and lac should make the call this summer for Westbrook

Nah No contender should touch him, his time with OKC and the Rockets showed the league that he won’t adjust his play to help his team.

The way he plays is very entertaining and statistically impressive, but it doesn’t stack up in the playoffs, we’ve seen it for nearly 15 years now.

He's had more playoff success than Chris paul dame lillard and a host of others so i dont see how u can mske that assumption
Ontario
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,100

Post#28 » by Ontario » Tue May 4, 2021 2:19 am

In Russ I Trust
If you do not know how good a basketball player Gary Payton was just go and stand near him for a little while, there's a good chance he'll come over and tell you. - Ahmad Rashad
JN61
RealGM

Post#29 » by JN61 » Tue May 4, 2021 2:19 am

ThomYorke wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Miami and lac should make the call this summer for Westbrook

Nah No contender should touch him, his time with OKC and the Rockets showed the league that he won’t adjust his play to help his team.

The way he plays is very entertaining and statistically impressive, but it doesn’t stack up in the playoffs, we’ve seen it for nearly 15 years now.

With statement like that you clearly didn't watch Rockets last year. He did change his game. Harden refused to change at all. Which he has now of course changed now that he got to the Nets... Only took to alienate 3 all-star teammates.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,785

Post#30 » by CobraCommander » Tue May 4, 2021 2:19 am

Dan Z wrote:Does anyone still prefer John Wall and a lottery protected 2023 pick over him?

I love wall but Houston is one of the worse teams in nba and wiz had their best April ever...plus wall hurt-& I think Houston has two guards they would rather start than wall next year even if wall healthy..

Love wall because he did so much in dc...but you can have the pick and wall for a former mvp that gives you 100% everytime he laces them up
donnieme
Head Coach

Post#31 » by donnieme » Tue May 4, 2021 2:19 am

Pinkyring wrote:With a better shot selection he'd be first team all NBA every year

You're not wrong but that's actually what he has been doing of recent. His efficiency has also shot up. This run is legit

In the past I felt he'd switch back to scoring when he hit double digit assists, now he's using what the defense gives him
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,221

Post#32 » by Dan Z » Tue May 4, 2021 2:21 am

CobraCommander wrote:

I love wall but Houston is one of the worse teams in nba and wiz had their best April ever...plus wall hurt-& I think Houston has two guards they would rather start than wall next year even if wall healthy..

Love wall because he did so much in dc...but you can have the pick and wall for a former mvp that gives you 100% everytime he laces them up

I think there's also a difference in leadership, which Westbrooks effort adds too.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#33 » by bebopdeluxe » Tue May 4, 2021 2:22 am

Marrrcuss wrote:

Gotta make a dig at him, no matter what

Why? Just for fun?

I get that he is an inefficient chucker but 20+ rebounds AND 20+ assists in a game is absurd. Simply absurd.
Ontario
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,100

Post#34 » by Ontario » Tue May 4, 2021 2:23 am

nate33 wrote:I used to be a Westbrook hater, but since he joined the Wizards and I got a chance to watch him every night, he has made me a believer.

Yeah, I know he is inefficient with too many missed shots and turnovers, but his relentless energy is infectious. Also, his assists are legit. He's not just driving and kicking for contested jumpers, he feeds the big men for dunks time and time again. He has made Alex Len, Robin Lopez and Daniel Gafford all look like All-Stars.

His two man pick and roll work with Adams in OKC was poetic.

Too many of he's detractors come from a situation like what you are talkning about where people just genuinely are not watching enough of him to undersand it.... you cannot just trust the talking heads at ESPN and the columist and stuff, they barely watch the games either.
If you do not know how good a basketball player Gary Payton was just go and stand near him for a little while, there's a good chance he'll come over and tell you. - Ahmad Rashad
MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 669
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Post#35 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Tue May 4, 2021 2:24 am

With a better shot selection he'd be first team all NBA every year
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#36 » by whatchaknow » Tue May 4, 2021 2:25 am

Can we stop posting these stat lines like they’re incredible? There was almost 300 points scored in this game lol. Sure the stat line is great but let’s put some context on it. Wiz had 50 team assists for crying out loud, 210 total shots between the 2 teams like my god the pace of this game was stupid.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Post#37 » by HotelVitale » Tue May 4, 2021 2:26 am

JN61 wrote:

This is very interesting discussion. What I mean is the all-nba discussion, for this year. I don't think he is first team, since in my opinion you want to reward winning. But we know he missed all-star game so does he have a chance to be on 3rd or 2nd team?

The fact that you have to omit how he has a 50% TS to make a case tells you what you need to know. There's probably not a single other person on that list who's shooting below around 56% TS, and most of the guys are probably near or above 60%. I just don't see a way that a guy who's so inefficient that he actually has negative offensive win shares this year is one of the best 15 players in the league.

Also note that Westbrook was never this inefficient when he was making all-NBA teams--he was more or less league average efficiency in his MVP year and his prime AS years, and the advanced stats loved him accordingly. Back then he was still a big positive despite being a weird volume monster of a player. Now he's still a freakish and entertaining player but you have to be real about how good he is overall.
donnieme
Head Coach

Post#38 » by donnieme » Tue May 4, 2021 2:30 am

whatchaknow wrote:Can we stop posting these stat lines like they’re incredible? There was almost 300 points scored in this game lol. Sure the stat line is great but let’s put some context on it. Wiz had 50 team assists for crying out loud, 210 total shots between the 2 teams like my god the pace of this game was stupid.

Sure but even the biggest statistical lines historically have come from pace inflated eras. Those huge stat lines in the 80s as well. Half of Mt Rushmore got their best years in pace inflated eras
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#39 » by lobosloboslobos » Tue May 4, 2021 2:31 am

it's hard to think of any other player like him in any sport. maybe Pavel Bure, who old school hockey heads would know. absolutely insanely hyperskilled offensive bullet who shot around the rink scoring spectacular goals by the bucketload but never managed to win anything and was also often criticized for selfish play.

multiple seasons averaging a triple double is hard to even imagine let alone witness. how that doesn't make Westbrook instantly the best player in the league is a sort of eternal mystery, and yet he doesn't remotely seem to be that. it's weird.
JN61
RealGM

Post#40 » by JN61 » Tue May 4, 2021 2:32 am

HotelVitale wrote:
JN61 wrote:

The fact that you have to omit how he has a 50% TS to make a case tells you what you need to know. There's probably not a single other person on that list who's shooting below around 56% TS, and most of the guys are probably near or above 60%. I just don't see a way that a guy who's so inefficient that he actually has negative offensive win shares this year is one of the best 15 players in the league.

Also note that Westbrook was never this inefficient when he was making all-NBA teams--he was more or less league average efficiency in his MVP year and his prime AS years, and the advanced stats loved him accordingly. Back then he was still a big positive despite being a weird volume monster of a player. Now he's still a freakish and entertaining player but you have to be real about how good he is overall.

Yes. Nobody else is that low on TS but also nobody is remotely that high (but Harden) on assists or rebounds. You also see massive difference how they play when he is off the floor. Running around like headless chickens. Westbrook's leadership and floor management is almost Paul-like. Not everything is about shooting in this game. Otherwise Warriors would be way higher on standings.

Return to The General Board