Knicks are 17-7 when Rose plays (58 win pace)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,796

Re: Knicks are 17-7 when Rose plays (58 win pace) 

Post#41 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:51 pm

LouisLitt wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:
If you actually watch the games, he's really not doing anything special.

It's Randle who's having a great month.

Multiple players are having great months.

Over the the month of April:
Rose 16/3/3 on 50/36/87 shooting splits
RJ 18/4/3 on 47/50/80 shooting splits.
Bullock 14/3/2 on 48/44/100 shooting splits

You're just adding to my point.

The person is asking why Rose isn't starting because the title of this thread makes it seem like he's the main reason they've been playing well as of late.

Dude, I just asked a question since I don't want many Knick games. It had nothing to do with me saying Rose is the franchise player lol. I do think Rose is better than Payton though.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#42 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:51 pm

I was fine with the trade given what we gave up, but he's been far more valuable than anyone could've expected. Bought into his role perfectly which is a huge part of it. The exact opposite of his first stint here.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#43 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:52 pm

A message from Thibs to every realgmer who panned his hire:

Poohdini1
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#44 » by Poohdini1 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:57 pm

He never gave up when it would've been easy to with 100s of millions in the bank and more accolades than many many players before him. Love to see it.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,891

Post#45 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 pm

D-Rose is proving that if he never got hurt this guy was on track to be a top 5 PG of all time.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#46 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:53 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:D-Rose is proving that if he never got hurt this guy was on track to be a top 5 PG of all time.

Uh... not sure how that tracks. But he was obviously a major talent who got cut down. Has happened far too often.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,544

Post#47 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:31 pm

I always wondered if the orbital affected him long term more than was let on. When the Knicks had him a few years back he actually looked more spry out there but was almost unplayable because he played like he had blinders on. This year his court vision has been very good and he's really looking for the pass. Maybe he's just more comfortable with Thibs :dontknow:
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,869

Post#48 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:37 pm

Been trying to tell you guys he can still ball. He's a beast scoring at the rim.

Not really a true PG or anything so he's perfect to just come in and score off the bench and still give you 18-20 ppg.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,891

Post#49 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:53 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:D-Rose is proving that if he never got hurt this guy was on track to be a top 5 PG of all time.

Uh... not sure how that tracks. But he was obviously a major talent who got cut down. Has happened far too often.

Outside of Magic who is #1, Rose won an MVP in his 3rd season, at 22 years old. I see no reason why he couldn't be up there with Curry, Nash, CP3 etc. Guys have been talked about as top 5 PGs
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,254

Post#50 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:18 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
If we had an average starting point guard in the FVV, Brogdon, Murray, even Lonzo Ball, this team everyone would be saying this team is legit. Payton is a good defensive guard, but offensively he does nothing, and often tries to do too much. We're a much better team when IQ/Rose are on the court.

Neither the stats nor the eye test show he's a good defender, although he does have stretches of nice defensive play. He generally lacks discipline and he just dies on every screen.

I mean, yeah, I agree with that, I was just trying to throw him some sort of bone.

What stats are you using out of curiosity?

Defensive impact is hard to measure and I don't think there's any statistic that accurately and consistently captures it.

Here's my thinking though.

LeFraud Payton has the worst defensive rating on the team at 110.9. Considering he shares most of his minutes with the starters, the fact that he's dead last shows how much worse than them he is defensively comparatively speaking. It's not particularly close either, and considering the Knicks are a good defensive team, it's not like his defensive rating is the byproduct of playing alongside bad defenders that cost him. He is the one holding them back.

The Knicks are 4th in the league in defensive rating at 107.8. They drop to 11th when Payton plays.

In terms of defensive on/off, opposing teams outscore the Knicks by +6.7 points per 100 possessions when he's on the court vs off. It's a lot. Consider this, Payton plays most of his minutes with Randle and RJ, right? Well, opposing teams score 1.7 fewer points per 100 possessions when Randle is on the court, and "only" (comparatively speaking) +1.7 when RJ is on the court.

I think all these numbers confirm the eye test, which really matters when it comes to evaluating defense imo.

Anyway, that's all I got personally.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#51 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:32 am

Rose hasn't looked bad to me physically in a long long time. I think despite it being physical injuries, I think his confidence and skill level took bigger hits than his athleticism did, and it took him some time to rebuild it over the years. Glad to see him doing well.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#52 » by Scalabrine » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:50 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Neither the stats nor the eye test show he's a good defender, although he does have stretches of nice defensive play. He generally lacks discipline and he just dies on every screen.

I mean, yeah, I agree with that, I was just trying to throw him some sort of bone.

Defensive impact is hard to measure and I don't think there's any statistic that accurately and consistently captures it.

LeFraud Payton has the worst defensive rating on the team at 110.9. Considering he shares most of his minutes with the starters, the fact that he's dead last shows how much worse than them he is defensively comparatively speaking. It's not particularly close either, and considering the Knicks are a good defensive team, it's not like his defensive rating is the byproduct of playing alongside bad defenders that cost him. He is the one holding them back.

The Knicks are 4th in the league in defensive rating at 107.8. They drop to 11th when Payton plays.

In terms of defensive on/off, opposing teams outscore the Knicks by +6.7 points per 100 possessions when he's on the court vs off. It's a lot. Consider this, Payton plays most of his minutes with Randle and RJ, right? Well, opposing teams score 1.7 fewer points per 100 possessions when Randle is on the court, and "only" (comparatively speaking) +1.7 when RJ is on the court.

I think all these numbers confirm the eye test, which really matters when it comes to evaluating defense imo.

Very valid points and I agree with all of it (aside from the nickname, which is a stretch...Elfraud Payton was right there and you chose LeFraud???). He's had his moments this year and he does have the size and speed to be able to switch onto bigger guards but there isn't a single starting point guard in the league that I would take him over. Several backups and two guards that I'd rather start at point guard than him too. He's probably outside the Top 40 if I made a list. Fine for a backup point guard, but I don't even know if he'd be a rotation player on some teams.
Go Knicks!
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,172

Post#53 » by Kent » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:54 am

FreeSpiritNY wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Time to change your display pic lol

Only if the Knicks actually make the playoffs :)

I can't hear you from down there Image

are you a pro tanker

Knicks fans can boast all they want.

They've waited long enough.

They deserve this change in fortune.

Amazing to see what D Rose has done. Very admirable.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,254

Post#54 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:35 am

Scalabrine wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

Very valid points and I agree with all of it (aside from the nickname, which is a stretch...Elfraud Payton was right there and you chose LeFraud???). He's had his moments this year and he does have the size and speed to be able to switch onto bigger guards but there isn't a single starting point guard in the league that I would take him over. Several backups and two guards that I'd rather start at point guard than him too. He's probably outside the Top 40 if I made a list. Fine for a backup point guard, but I don't even know if he'd be a rotation player on some teams.

I used Elfraud for over a year and felt I needed to switch it up a little. And then I thought comparing Payton to LeBron in any way was hilarious :lol: I find it even more disrespectful lol.

Otherwise I echo your sentiment.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#55 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:11 am

The other DA y I found a quarter and decided tovflip it 24 times, and it was heads seventeen times. I thought what a huge acquisition to myself.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#56 » by GSP » Tue May 4, 2021 3:50 am

21-8..... just outplayed Ja Morant badly

Knicks are gonna win a playoff series this year.....
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#57 » by BugginOut » Tue May 4, 2021 4:29 am

D-Rose needs to be in the 6MOY conversation. No one is having as much as an impact as he is off the bench for the Knicks.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#58 » by FreeSpiritNY » Tue May 4, 2021 4:59 am

Big 3 RANDEL BARRET ROSE.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,731

Post#59 » by cgf » Tue May 4, 2021 9:45 pm

So verno, you "read" that the knicks were 21-8 since getting Rose huh...;-)
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#60 » by matt6715 » Tue May 4, 2021 9:53 pm

Knicks gotta cash in those assets and win NOW

Return to The General Board