Why are people so mad at the Lakers?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

GrindCityHustle
Starter
And1: 2,313

Why are people so mad at the Lakers? 

Post#1 » by GrindCityHustle » Tue May 4, 2021 3:32 am

They won a title after a short 4 year rebuild and retirement of Kobe(RIP). To me that is a successful franchise. Now people hate on them because of injuries and lack of motivation? Have we watched the Last Dance propoganda koolaid too much?

Do people realize how hard it is to get a title much less be a dynasty? My Grizz will prob never get one along with alot of other franchises. The Raps fanbase waited since 1995 and the days of Oliver Miller for theirs. The Mavs are a small market that managed to get one after years of disappointment and heartache. It might be 5-10 years before they get a title out of Luka and the Raps might not see another one again for 20 years.

I just think the days of the three peat are over with. In the 60's you were playing with insurance salesmen, in the 00's it was street ANd1 baller types. Now we got guys built like Giannis who are the future prototype of an NBA player. Alot has changed and its no longer the same game anymore. Everyone firmly realizes how important load management is now so why ruin a career over it?

TLDR- If you won a title the season before then you are a successfully ran NBA franchise in my book and get a pass. Winning 6 in a short span just means there was a severe lack of competition these days. Now its anyone's game each and every year at that so if you take a year off for rest fans shouldn't get up and arms about it. This includes Golden State. We got to change our thinking at some point or we just become toxic and stop enjoying the evolution of the game. The competition is flat out better.

/rant gold sticker
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,136

Re: Why are people so mad at the Lakers? 

Post#2 » by Pelon chingon » Tue May 4, 2021 3:33 am

bradybunch
Rookie
And1: 1,475

Post#3 » by bradybunch » Tue May 4, 2021 3:36 am

Is this your way of keeping them the center of attention?

I don't think a lot people give a damn about the Fakers. :lol:
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 14,967

Post#4 » by Sgt Major » Tue May 4, 2021 3:45 am

Pelon chingon wrote:*2002
This
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
darkse1d
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,830

Post#5 » by darkse1d » Tue May 4, 2021 3:47 am

bubble champion.
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Post#6 » by manchambo » Tue May 4, 2021 3:55 am

I don’t know why we have to continue to have this conversation over and over, but since you asked the question: I hate the Lakers because their “rebuild” required virtually no effort or skill. It simply required them accepting AD and Lebron’s desire to go there.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,138

Post#7 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 4, 2021 4:01 am

GrindCityHustle wrote:They won a title after a short 4 year rebuild and retirement of Kobe(RIP). To me that is a successful franchise.

They were only able to pull that off due to their location. Lebron signed there so he can film Space Jam 2 while AD demanded a trade there because he's obsessed with the "LA lifestyle".

If they weren't located in LA, they'd still be developing their young core like 95% of other teams have to.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,098

Post#8 » by Statlanta » Tue May 4, 2021 4:11 am

The Kobe Bryant advertisement tour or last season was so heavy handed that it made me not care about his death or the Lakers success last season.

Combining that with how Anthony Davis joined through Klutch and LeBron/LA's general popularity and you get a team that's talked about too much.

I hope the Nets win the championship this season, despite apathy and indifference to Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant, so we can end the legacies of Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and the Lakers dominance at the start of the 21st century.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,558

Post#9 » by Jadoogar » Tue May 4, 2021 4:29 am

manchambo wrote:I don’t know why we have to continue to have this conversation over and over, but since you asked the question: I hate the Lakers because their “rebuild” required virtually no effort or skill. It simply required them accepting AD and Lebron’s desire to go there.

Attractive cities don't need to rebuild. Sooner or later a star will want to go there. It's why the Nets and Clippers had no problems giving away all their picks.

Small markets have to grow their own food. Big markets just go to the grocery store and pick what they want.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#10 » by Dr Aki » Tue May 4, 2021 4:31 am

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,252

Post#11 » by JRoy » Tue May 4, 2021 4:32 am

Hate the Lakers.

Always and Forever.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,211

Post#12 » by TheMartian » Tue May 4, 2021 4:43 am

Because Lebron.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,757

Post#13 » by sashaturiaf » Tue May 4, 2021 4:57 am

Maybe because that team is built purely by Klutch sports, who happens to be aligned with their Lebron James

- AD forced a trade there because Klutch
- Markieff Morris has history with Klutch (does it make sense his twin Marcus Morris is getting paid 15x what Markieff is because Markieff is on team klutch? There is something fishy there)
- Montrezl Harrell (Klutch) joined for below market value and hurt their biggest competitors out West
- Ben McLemore (Klutch) secures buyout and signs with Lakers for the min. addressing their biggest weakness.

There is so much conflicts of interest and dodgy maneuvering there that you can't help but hope this team loses. However in reality, the guys who stack the deck usually win.
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Post#14 » by manchambo » Tue May 4, 2021 5:02 am

Jadoogar wrote:
manchambo wrote:I don’t know why we have to continue to have this conversation over and over, but since you asked the question: I hate the Lakers because their “rebuild” required virtually no effort or skill. It simply required them accepting AD and Lebron’s desire to go there.

Attractive cities don't need to rebuild. Sooner or later a star will want to go there. It's why the Nets and Clippers had no problems giving away all their picks.

Small markets have to grow their own food. Big markets just go to the grocery store and pick what they want.

Here’s what really gets me, as a Nuggets fan: Denver has basically done it as well as you can, building a contender the old fashioned way. And they have a superstar who is basically the most attractive player you could imagine playing with. But still the idea of a superstar free agent joining the team to complete the championship picture is a pipe dream.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#15 » by Ballerhogger » Tue May 4, 2021 5:06 am

Let the hate flow through you
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#16 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:38 am

Jadoogar wrote:

The Lakers looked like the Pelicans, minus Zion, before Lebron decided he wanted to become a film actor and AD decided his life's calling was to become a Kardashian.

I wonder why the top players aren't lining up to sign with OKC or New Orleans. They're more desirable than the Lakers were when Lebron signed with them. It's that not having to work for your success that makes fans of other teams hate the Lakers.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#17 » by EArl » Tue May 4, 2021 6:47 am

because they win. end thread/
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,370

Post#18 » by Dominator83 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:10 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

The Lakers looked like the Pelicans, minus Zion, before Lebron decided he wanted to become a film actor and AD decided his life's calling was to become a Kardashian.

I wonder why the top players aren't lining up to sign with OKC or New Orleans. They're more desirable than the Lakers were when Lebron signed with them. It's that not having to work for your success that makes fans of other teams hate the Lakers.

Yea their rebuild was pretty bad when they tried the organic route like everyone else haves to. Ingrim, Ball, Clarkson, D-Lo, Randle (who just now 2 teams later under a good coach broke out in year 7) but got a get out of jail free card from LeBron.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#19 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:10 am

EArl wrote:because they win. end thread/

Nah, nobody hated the Spurs. People hated but respected the Bulls. The hate for the Lakers comes from how they win. Most of their historic success has come from players forcing their way to the team because of its location. While other teams have to toil in mediocrity for years to develop their youth, the Lakers hop from one superstar to another by poaching them from other teams, teams who did the work of actually developing these players.

Shaq? Signed with a mediocre LA team in free agency
Lebron? Signed with a mediocre LA team in free agency
AD? Forced his way to LA

Two times in the past 25 years, they signed one of the best players in the game while being undesirable from a talent perspective. Few other teams can take those shortcuts to success because few other teams play in LA or NY.
ayyayyron
Senior
And1: 627

Post#20 » by ayyayyron » Tue May 4, 2021 7:16 am

people just really dislike LeBron
NBA fan first, Nets fan second, Grayson Allen hater third

Return to The General Board