ImageImageImage

5th seed in sight

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

5th seed in sight 

Post#1 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:37 am

Lakers losing tonight by 9 to WAS means we are one game back of the 5th seed and we own the tie breaker with LA. What we do from here on out is going to show us what kind of team we have.

We have a much better chance of advancing to the 2nd round against the Nuggets. They are injured and looking way more vulnerable than the Clips.

Bad as the Lakers have played lateley they are probably not going to hold onto the 5th seed.

Of course the Mavs have to step up and win some games to make this happen and if they fail to do so I will be very upset.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Re: 5th seed in sight 

Post#2 » by ejs78 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:15 am

I get the whole wanting to play Denver since they are banged up, but they are 7-1 since Murray went down with Porter jr really stepping up.

Don't think there's an easy choice on who to play.
SOUNDCHASER wrote:Lakers losing tonight by 9 to WAS means we are one game back of the 5th seed and we own the tie breaker with LA. What we do from here on out is going to show us what kind of team we have.

We have a much better chance of advancing to the 2nd round against the Nuggets. They are injured and looking way more vulnerable than the Clips.

Bad as th Lakers have played lateley they are probably not going to hold onto the 5th seed.

Of course the Mavs have to step up and win some games to make this happen and if they fail to do so I will be very upset.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,337

Post#3 » by Mavrelous » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:57 am

the west 5-9 is wide open, and will stay like that until the end it looks, no one is really safe, even the Lakers who have a brutal stretch of games, and it's clear Davis isn't 100% and will take him few game to get his groove back.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#4 » by Mavrelous » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:10 am

I just noticed that Clippers have as many losses as the Nuggets and they have a tough schedule, so 3-4 fair is up in the air too, Mavs should focus on on winning, creating chemistry with all the injuries, and avoiding the play in.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#5 » by Darren » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:18 am

Doesn't really matter.

The Mavs has way too many problems yet to be resolved.
1.Big lineup doesn't work. Create unfavorable mismatches. Lose the tempo game easily against uptempo teams, despite not even playoff teams.
2.Zone defense doesn't work. Struggle against stretch big and speedy guard. Paint and perimeter defense are both terrible.
3.Can't find consistency in 2-way role players. Players just can't perform well on both ends at the same time, most notably Hardaway and Kleber.
4.Do-or-die on 3 pointers.
5.Way too rely on Doncic to carry on everything.
6.Cannot get KP too involved.
7.Cannot develop rookies. The rookies underperformed against GSW in the 4th quarter. Anyway, it's nice to see a 3-pointer to both Green and Bey on NBA floor.

The Mavs is still the most polarizing team in the league. I don't consider the Mavs anything more than a black horse.

To start with, I think replacing J-Rich with Burke is a nice start. Before the season, I predict that a PG-body is needed in the starting lineup. But for whatever reasons, RC sticks to the rigid plans despite struggling for most of the season until Luka finds the long jumpers. But still, the coach and management doesn't do well.

I still think Buddy Hield instead of Reddick should be on this roster after the deadline. It's meaningless to trade a 2nd rounder for Reddick. I'm also puzzled by what's going on with Terry and prolonged absence due to 'personal reasons'.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#6 » by leolozon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:01 pm

I would rather play the Suns or Nuggets than the Clippers for sure. I thought the Clippers would finish 2nd, but with Kawhi missing time, it's tough to know where each team will be. The Suns had trouble beating the Clippers without Kawhi.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#7 » by Mr B » Mon May 3, 2021 1:55 am

Who has the tie breaker between Dallas and Portland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#8 » by dirkforpres » Mon May 3, 2021 2:51 am

Mr B wrote:Who has the tie breaker between Dallas and Portland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Portland has it if it’s a 2 way tie. If it’s a 3 way tie for 5th though, then Dallas gets it because we will be the division winner
FIRE JASON KIDD
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#9 » by HMFFL » Mon May 3, 2021 1:27 pm

leolozon wrote:I would rather play the Suns or Nuggets than the Clippers for sure. I thought the Clippers would finish 2nd, but with Kawhi missing time, it's tough to know where each team will be. The Suns had trouble beating the Clippers without Kawhi.
Phoenix didn't have any issues against the Clippers except for Ayton not making his shots. Phoenix pretty much just cruised along with the Clippers until they needed to win. They won by eight points and covered the four point spread.

Like most teams, Phone if was on a three games in five days stretch and their Coach has had to limit his players minutes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#10 » by leolozon » Mon May 3, 2021 2:30 pm

HMFFL wrote:
leolozon wrote:I would rather play the Suns or Nuggets than the Clippers for sure. I thought the Clippers would finish 2nd, but with Kawhi missing time, it's tough to know where each team will be. The Suns had trouble beating the Clippers without Kawhi.
Phoenix didn't have any issues against the Clippers except for Ayton not making his shots. Phoenix pretty much just cruised along with the Clippers until they needed to win. They won by eight points and covered the four point spread.

Like most teams, Phone if was on a three games in five days stretch and their Coach has had to limit his players minutes.

Yeah, they beat the Clippers without Kawhi by only 8 points, which was my point.

Anyway, things change fast in the West.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#11 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:47 pm

I see Phoenix like a bluff, they are the only team without injuries all year long.

Good season but not a top4 (i think LA X2, Utah, Denver with Murray are above them)team in the west, anyway they are better us for sure.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#12 » by Mavrelous » Mon May 3, 2021 8:11 pm

**** just got real, LeBron out against Denver and possibly Clippers and Schroeder out for 10 days due to COVID.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#13 » by fuller4379 » Tue May 4, 2021 3:21 am

Does anyone want 5th place?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#14 » by Mavrelous » Tue May 4, 2021 7:04 am

fuller4379 wrote:Does anyone want 5th place?

Not particularly, but no one wants 7th.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue May 4, 2021 11:12 am

I think Dallas could win the first round only against the Murray-less Denver... Utah, Phoenix and Clips are too good for us.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#16 » by Archx » Tue May 4, 2021 11:56 am

41Dirk41 wrote:I think Dallas could win the first round only against the Murray-less Denver... Utah, Phoenix and Clips are too good for us.

I feel the opposite. I would rather play LAC than Denver :D
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue May 4, 2021 1:40 pm

Archx wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:I think Dallas could win the first round only against the Murray-less Denver... Utah, Phoenix and Clips are too good for us.

I feel the opposite. I would rather play LAC than Denver :D

Clips added Rondo and Ibaka, i feel they could even win the West...
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#18 » by HMFFL » Wed May 5, 2021 3:16 am

KhalilS wrote:**** just got real, LeBron out against Denver and possibly Clippers and Schroeder out for 10 days due to COVID.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Old age with this injury hasn't been on his side. The recovery process has been longer than expected but I'm fine with that.

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#19 » by Mavrelous » Wed May 5, 2021 9:44 am

41Dirk41 wrote:I see Phoenix like a bluff, they are the only team without injuries all year long.

Good season but not a top4 (i think LA X2, Utah, Denver with Murray are above them)team in the west, anyway they are better us for sure.

Agreed, and all of Mavs losses to them were fustratingly close.
DrPampiloni
Junior
And1: 363

Post#20 » by DrPampiloni » Wed May 5, 2021 1:01 pm

I think I would like to freeze the standings to how they look today. Call me crazy but I think we can upset both Denver and Phoenix.
Heck, the first is not even an upset since I think our record would actually be the same as Denver's without that dreaded January covid in-team epidemic.

Return to Dallas Mavericks