Why are people so mad at the Lakers?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,299

Re: Why are people so mad at the Lakers? 

Post#21 » by Ckay » Tue May 4, 2021 7:28 am

This is like a fan bait.
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,509

Post#22 » by DoctorX » Tue May 4, 2021 7:33 am

I would say for the same reasons people hate seeing failing corporations get bailed out from the government because they don't deserve it. The Lakers in this case have consistently been a stupidly run organization since Jerry West has left them but continues to get bailed out with superstars forcing their way there to play for them through trade or FA due to location and endorsements. You think Lebron would have signed with OKC if they had Ingram,Lonzo Ball,Kuzma,Hart back in '18?
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,046

Post#23 » by shangrila » Tue May 4, 2021 9:10 am

GrindCityHustle wrote:They won a title after a short 4 year rebuild

lol

Like their "rebuild" had anything to do with their title.
and retirement of Kobe(RIP).

Irrelevant
To me that is a successful franchise.

They won the title, so sure. But their recent era has been an example of falling ass backwards into success. It's not like they developed a group of youth that led them to contention, nor did they even build a culture like the Nets did before Irving/Durant. They were poorly run losers who's only saving grace was that they were the Lakers.
Now people hate on them because of injuries and lack of motivation?

No, people resent that their teams don't have the same built in advantages that the Lakers do. I mean, when was the last time a star forced their way to a small market team? Or anywhere that wasn't LA or New York?

So it's frustrating when people, like yourself, just brush that off and point to their successes like "see, look how great they are!" The deck being stacked in their favour from the start diminishes their achievements in my eye.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#24 » by JN61 » Tue May 4, 2021 9:15 am

And faster they go back to irrelevancy the better.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Sushisensei26
Sixth Man
And1: 614

Post#25 » by Sushisensei26 » Tue May 4, 2021 9:25 am

JN61 wrote:And faster they go back to irrelevancy the better.

Don’t hold your breath buddy. :D
Factorq
Sophomore
And1: 333

Post#26 » by Factorq » Tue May 4, 2021 9:36 am

manchambo wrote:I don’t know why we have to continue to have this conversation over and over, but since you asked the question: I hate the Lakers because their “rebuild” required virtually no effort or skill. It simply required them accepting AD and Lebron’s desire to go there.

Not only this, but the Lakers' rebuild was just raw incompetency on display. They signed Deng/Mozgov to monster contracts, they traded D'lo just to unload Mozgov's contract, and they let Randle walk. They literally let one all star caliber leave their team for free, and they trade another in a salary dump, and it didn't matter because their team is in Los Angeles, and players are going to want to go there. That's why people don't like the Lakers.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#27 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 4, 2021 9:50 am

The only way that happens is if they relocate back to Minnesota. They'd become the Wolves overnight with how they are managed.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Post#28 » by queridiculo » Tue May 4, 2021 10:56 am

The same reason people are mad at the Nets.. Where have you been?
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#29 » by JN61 » Tue May 4, 2021 11:27 am

Raps in 4 wrote:

The only way that happens is if they relocate back to Minnesota. They'd become the Wolves overnight with how they are managed.

Yes, they can be thankful where they are located. If there weren't Kings and Knicks they would be competing for the worst run franchise in last 10+ years. Heck they already might be 3rd on that list all things considering.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
AdriLaker
Junior
And1: 210

Post#30 » by AdriLaker » Tue May 4, 2021 11:38 am

bradybunch wrote:Is this your way of keeping them the center of attention?

I don't think a lot people give a damn about the Fakers. :lol:

17 Championships (the current reigning NBA champions) and having 6 of top 10 greatest players ever... they are ALWAYS relevant, you like it or not.
pontius
Senior
And1: 1,993

Post#31 » by pontius » Tue May 4, 2021 11:39 am

Success breeds jealousy.
Yeggo Poleggo
Rookie
And1: 1,244

Post#32 » by Yeggo Poleggo » Tue May 4, 2021 11:40 am

Statlanta wrote:The Kobe Bryant advertisement tour or last season was so heavy handed that it made me not care about his death or the Lakers success last season.

Combining that with how Anthony Davis joined through Klutch and LeBron/LA's general popularity and you get a team that's talked about too much.

I hope the Nets win the championship this season, despite apathy and indifference to Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant, so we can end the legacies of Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and the Lakers dominance at the start of the 21st century.

I don't care how much I dislike a player, or how dominant they were against my favorite team.

I would never want someone's favorite player to die. I dont wish that **** on anyone.
World's biggest Kobe Bryant fan.

levon wrote:this board: "THT's negative value"

this board after he's traded: "I like THT, and he's so young! stupid Lakers let another one go"

literally every Lakers young player in the last 7 years
Doranku
Veteran
And1: 5,665

Post#33 » by Doranku » Tue May 4, 2021 12:11 pm

Statlanta wrote:The Kobe Bryant advertisement tour or last season was so heavy handed that it made me not care about his death or the Lakers success last season.

Combining that with how Anthony Davis joined through Klutch and LeBron/LA's general popularity and you get a team that's talked about too much.

I hope the Nets win the championship this season, despite apathy and indifference to Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant, so we can end the legacies of Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and the Lakers dominance at the start of the 21st century.

I understand it was probably hard watching Kobe considering the Hawks arena was dubbed "Staples Center East" by the Lakers announcing crew because of the way the crowd would go wild over Kobe, but man, imagine touting that you "didn't care" about his tragic death because you're still so bitter.

Sad. Let the hate go.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,528

Post#34 » by KyRo23 » Tue May 4, 2021 12:11 pm

bradybunch wrote:Is this your way of keeping them the center of attention?

I don't think a lot people give a damn about the Fakers. :lol:

You’d think but yesterday at one point there were 12 Lakers/LeBron posts on the front page of this very forum. Use that info as you will.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#35 » by psimanic1 » Tue May 4, 2021 12:20 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:

Well, Im not sure if there is any superstar to replace James for them.. As Davis has shown he cant lead team in New Orleans, and he had some nice ones there. Who is that guy for them? Booker? Giannis? KAT? Not sure tbh, even Kawhi will probably stay in LAC and for example Zion wants NYK and he is still far away from his FA year while being RFA in first one..
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,131

Post#36 » by druggas » Tue May 4, 2021 12:22 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
GrindCityHustle wrote:They won a title after a short 4 year rebuild and retirement of Kobe(RIP). To me that is a successful franchise.

They were only able to pull that off due to their location. Lebron signed there so he can film Space Jam 2 while AD demanded a trade there because he's obsessed with the "LA lifestyle".

If they weren't located in LA, they'd still be developing their young core like 95% of other teams have to.

Clippers say otherwise.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,001

Post#37 » by jokeboy86 » Tue May 4, 2021 12:30 pm

Funny thing is seems like fans of other teams hate the Lakers more than the owners because if the Lakers have all these unfair advantages due to market size you would think the other owners would get together and do something about it. Unfortunately most of the other owners are gutless and scared of the Lakers
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,559

Post#38 » by Jadoogar » Tue May 4, 2021 1:56 pm

manchambo wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
manchambo wrote:I don’t know why we have to continue to have this conversation over and over, but since you asked the question: I hate the Lakers because their “rebuild” required virtually no effort or skill. It simply required them accepting AD and Lebron’s desire to go there.

Attractive cities don't need to rebuild. Sooner or later a star will want to go there. It's why the Nets and Clippers had no problems giving away all their picks.

Small markets have to grow their own food. Big markets just go to the grocery store and pick what they want.

Here’s what really gets me, as a Nuggets fan: Denver has basically done it as well as you can, building a contender the old fashioned way. And they have a superstar who is basically the most attractive player you could imagine playing with. But still the idea of a superstar free agent joining the team to complete the championship picture is a pipe dream.

Even look at the raptors, they won the title. And toronto isn't even a small market, its just not LA or NY or Miami.
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,891

Post#39 » by LV-Suns » Tue May 4, 2021 2:03 pm

I don’t hate the Lakers, they just have the most obnoxious fan base in the league. It’s impossible to discuss basketball with these guys.
I Dont wanna be here
Jay_Sizzle
Senior
And1: 526

Post#40 » by Jay_Sizzle » Tue May 4, 2021 2:20 pm

Certainly up there with Brooklyn for least likeable team. They are not respected because they skipped the rebuild, got Lebron in free agency, then colluded with Anthony Davis to demand a trade.

This allowed the to skip the 5-10 years other teams invest in a rebuild. They are a bunch of front-running line cutters. Much more respect for a homegrown winner like Utah, Milwaukee, or Phoenix.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Return to The General Board