Yeah I’m a homer; but I’m a realist as well; Derrick Rose Deserves Major Consideration For 6th Man

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Yeah I’m a homer; but I’m a realist as well; Derrick Rose Deserves Major Consideration For 6th Man 

Post#1 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Tue May 4, 2021 1:37 pm

What this guy is doing off our bench is really remarkable. He plays at such a high level, and is always team first.

I know Clarkson/ingles is where we all think the award will end up, but am I wrong for thinking D Rose is 100% going to win runner up if he doesn’t win the actual award?
Wharton Alum 08
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Re: Yeah I’m a homer; but I’m a realist as well; Derrick Rose Deserves Major Consideration For 6th Man 

Post#2 » by Wharton Alum 08 » Tue May 4, 2021 1:53 pm

If he spent the whole season in NY playing at this level it definitely would’ve been a conversation as it stands now he has no chance. He also probably should be starting over Payton anyway. I’m definitely curious to see where Rose ends up next year though especially if NY brings in a Lonzo or starting PG.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,382

Re: Yeah I’m a homer; but I’m a realist as well; Derrick Rose Deserves Major Consideration For 6th Man 

Post#3 » by JXL » Tue May 4, 2021 2:02 pm

I think he should. He probably won't win the award, but he should get consideration. His +/- is insanely good, and it turns a team that would have 28 wins with Elfrid Payton to a team with 50 wins with Derrick Rose. He has transformed his game and his body to take on the rigors of the season at age 32.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,671

Post#4 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue May 4, 2021 2:04 pm

jordan clarkson has been so consistently productive off the bench though. i'm feeling giving rose his flowers, and he will likely continue to make his case in the remaining 8 games. but iono bout this one.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#5 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue May 4, 2021 2:05 pm

You don't know how bad I wanted a Bulls V Knicks play-in game.

Bulls and Knicks haven't battled in the post season since 1995.

That was a great rivalry that a couple of generations have never seen.

Rose, Gibson and Thibs back in Chicago would have brought the house down.
They would have gotten a bigger ovation that the home team. (if we made it and had fans!)

I pray he holds up and you guys make some noise in the playoffs.
Knick playoff basketball is HYPE, just wait until next few weeks.

A Knicks v Brooklyn series this year would be incredible.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,254

Post#6 » by Lunartic » Tue May 4, 2021 2:18 pm

Rose is one of the great comeback stories in NBA history, second most important player on the Knicks. Thibs has always been able to get the best out of him
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#7 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 4, 2021 2:22 pm

And it was arguably the best trade of the year too. Good for Rose. Him and Thibs are a match made in Heaven
FIRE JASON KIDD
pace31
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,339

Post#8 » by pace31 » Tue May 4, 2021 2:33 pm

Won't happen with 29 games played for NYK, but he's been awesome. Still think the narrative / hype with Clarkson's season will get it done even though frankly it's now not deserved at all. He was lights out the first 6 weeks of the season, but since then pretty terrible and is now shooting a career worst 41% from the field.

Joe Ingles is the true 6th man of the year.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Tue May 4, 2021 2:36 pm

Had Rose played the entire season in NY, he’d be right there for the award. But he played in Detroit and has missed about 1/3 of the season including both stops. Just like MVP, both of those things matter when there are other deserving candidates.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,238

Post#10 » by Harry Garris » Tue May 4, 2021 2:43 pm

Wharton Alum 08 wrote:If he spent the whole season in NY playing at this level it definitely would’ve been a conversation as it stands now he has no chance. He also probably should be starting over Payton anyway. I’m definitely curious to see where Rose ends up next year though especially if NY brings in a Lonzo or starting PG.

Rose has had a great season even considering the games he played in Detroiti though.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,238

Post#11 » by Harry Garris » Tue May 4, 2021 2:47 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:jordan clarkson has been so consistently productive off the bench though. i'm feeling giving rose his flowers, and he will likely continue to make his case in the remaining 8 games. but iono bout this one.

I really don't understand the case for Jordan Clarkson. Yes 17 ppg off of the bench is impressive, but his efficiency is pretty bad and he doesn't pass to teammates and his defensive effort is... yeah its bad.

Joe Ingles happens to be the Utah Jazz's actual 6th man. Clarkson is their 7th. Despite not averaging as many points, his efficiency is so much better and he actually makes plays for others and tries on defense. Ingles is a really valuable player. I'm not so sure Clarkson is. I think that there are a lot of guys who could provide low efficiency scoring on a good team, Clarkson just happens to be the one who's getting the opportunity.
PapaBear53
Junior
And1: 619

Post#12 » by PapaBear53 » Tue May 4, 2021 3:08 pm

I'm not arguing that Ingles is more important to the Jazz than Clarkson is. Joe is terrific and would deserve the award except he has started almost 40% of the games he's played, and this percentage will continue to grow as long as Mitchell and/or Conley are out. Can a guy that will probably end up starting near 50% of his team's games be called a 6th man?

So who else besides Clarkson if you eliminate Joe due to being a quasi-starter? Rose has only played 29 out of a total of 65 Knick games, less than 50%. Clarkson has been pretty bad lately, but he is still very, very important to the Jazz and if you eliminate Rose and Ingles, who else? (BTW, Clarkson's defensive effort has been light years better this season that I've ever seen it).
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,486

Post#13 » by cgf » Tue May 4, 2021 3:18 pm

Wharton Alum 08 wrote:If he spent the whole season in NY playing at this level it definitely would’ve been a conversation as it stands now he has no chance. He also probably should be starting over Payton anyway. I’m definitely curious to see where Rose ends up next year though especially if NY brings in a Lonzo or starting PG.

Hopefully right where he is now. Lonzo would replace Elf in the starting lineup as our bigger/defensive PG who helps start games with a slow/mucky pace, but we'd still have an opening for Derrick to lead the bench unit and play with the starters when Thibs opens up more.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#14 » by dakomish23 » Tue May 4, 2021 3:29 pm

Payton Bullock RJB Randle Noel
458 mins 113.4 ORTG 113.4 DRTG 0.0 NRTG

DRose Bullock RJB Randle Noel
111 mins 114.8 ORTG 101.3 DRTG 13.5 NRTG

I think this is underselling how much Payton holds back this team. So many games, when he’s on the floor, it’s 4 on 5 on both sides.

DRose isn’t perfect, but he doesn’t actively hold back the team. That’s where the bar is for NYK PG play and why it seems a lock they’re going to throw big money at least one PG target (Lonzo)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#15 » by meekrab » Tue May 4, 2021 3:32 pm

The_Hater wrote:Had Rose played the entire season in NY, he’d be right there for the award. But he played in Detroit and has missed about 2/3 of the season including both stops. Just like MVP, both of those things matter when there are other deserving candidates.

He's played 44 out of a possible 63 games so far. Hasn't even missed 1/3rd, let alone 2. :crazy:
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,719

Post#16 » by Woodsanity » Tue May 4, 2021 3:34 pm

Problem is he didn't play the entire season on the Knicks. If he did he would have a good chance for sure.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#17 » by The_Hater » Tue May 4, 2021 4:01 pm

meekrab wrote:
The_Hater wrote:Had Rose played the entire season in NY, he’d be right there for the award. But he played in Detroit and has missed about 2/3 of the season including both stops. Just like MVP, both of those things matter when there are other deserving candidates.

He's played 44 out of a possible 63 games so far. Hasn't even missed 1/3rd, let alone 2. :crazy:

Obviously that was a typo, don’t be a jerk.

He’s played 44/65 games this season season actually, the maximum he can play would be 51. And that’s extremely close to missing 1/3rd of the season.

You might want to ignore it but it matters to voters, it’s the same issue that has taken Embiid (46), Bron (43) and perhaps even Harden out of the MVP race.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,671

Post#18 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue May 4, 2021 4:45 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:jordan clarkson has been so consistently productive off the bench though. i'm feeling giving rose his flowers, and he will likely continue to make his case in the remaining 8 games. but iono bout this one.

I really don't understand the case for Jordan Clarkson. Yes 17 ppg off of the bench is impressive, but his efficiency is pretty bad and he doesn't pass to teammates and his defensive effort is... yeah its bad.

Joe Ingles happens to be the Utah Jazz's actual 6th man. Clarkson is their 7th. Despite not averaging as many points, his efficiency is so much better and he actually makes plays for others and tries on defense. Ingles is a really valuable player. I'm not so sure Clarkson is. I think that there are a lot of guys who could provide low efficiency scoring on a good team, Clarkson just happens to be the one who's getting the opportunity.

agreed. i guess clarkson's positionality and scoring sway the conversation. but if you're asking me who the better reserve is is utah, i too go with jingles.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#19 » by meekrab » Tue May 4, 2021 5:08 pm

The_Hater wrote:
meekrab wrote:

Obviously that was a typo, don’t be a jerk.

He’s played 44/65 games this season season actually

The Knicks were two games further into the season than the Pistons when the trade happened, so while the Knicks have played 65 games, Rose's teams have only played 63 with him on the roster.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#20 » by matt6715 » Tue May 4, 2021 5:19 pm

Hell of a move from the Knicks front office though. DSJ is 2 years from China

Return to The General Board