Why are people so mad at the Lakers?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,966

Re: Why are people so mad at the Lakers? 

Post#41 » by Liam_Gallagher » Tue May 4, 2021 2:25 pm

Pelinka still had to make some risky deals before LeBron even signed there. For example, in order to unload Mosgov (previous ownership) he had to cut Russell lose. Also had to trade Clarkson and Nance for expirings (to Cleveland, ironically) in order to make more cap room.

People act like LeBron fell into their lap, but they traded a lot of young, good pieces in order to potentially land LeBron and Davis.

Oh, and I thought the Pelicans ripped the Lakers off? Funny how the goal posts change.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#42 » by The_Hater » Tue May 4, 2021 2:33 pm

GrindCityHustle wrote:They won a title after a short 4 year rebuild and retirement of Kobe(RIP).

Ignoring the rest of your post for a minute, how was it a 4 year rebuild when they missed the playoffs 6 straight years with losing records? The last 2 Kobe years when they were a really bad team suddenly don’t count? They did draft Randle and Clarkson during those seasons.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,401

Post#43 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 4, 2021 2:40 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:Pelinka still had to make some risky deals before LeBron even signed there. For example, in order to unload Mosgov (previous ownership) he had to cut Russell lose. Also had to trade Clarkson and Nance for expirings (to Cleveland, ironically) in order to make more cap room.

People act like LeBron fell into their lap, but they traded a lot of young, good pieces in order to potentially land LeBron and Davis.

Oh, and I thought the Pelicans ripped the Lakers off? Funny how the goal posts change.

Risky? How many other teams was Lebron willing to sign with?
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#44 » by Hoopz Afrik » Tue May 4, 2021 2:49 pm

darkse1d wrote:bubble champion.

Actual champion. 8-)
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,832

Post#45 » by Beethoven » Tue May 4, 2021 3:20 pm

I think people are mad bc Lakers will always be winning more championships before any of theirs ever sniff one. Winning one of the best championships last year just triggered lot of people.
8-)
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,507

Post#46 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 3:22 pm

GrindCityHustle wrote:They won a title after a short 4 year rebuild and retirement of Kobe(RIP). To me that is a successful franchise. Now people hate on them because of injuries and lack of motivation? Have we watched the Last Dance propoganda koolaid too much?

Do people realize how hard it is to get a title much less be a dynasty? My Grizz will prob never get one along with alot of other franchises. The Raps fanbase waited since 1995 and the days of Oliver Miller for theirs. The Mavs are a small market that managed to get one after years of disappointment and heartache. It might be 5-10 years before they get a title out of Luka and the Raps might not see another one again for 20 years.

I just think the days of the three peat are over with. In the 60's you were playing with insurance salesmen, in the 00's it was street ANd1 baller types. Now we got guys built like Giannis who are the future prototype of an NBA player. Alot has changed and its no longer the same game anymore. Everyone firmly realizes how important load management is now so why ruin a career over it?

TLDR- If you won a title the season before then you are a successfully ran NBA franchise in my book and get a pass. Winning 6 in a short span just means there was a severe lack of competition these days. Now its anyone's game each and every year so if you take a year off for rest fans shouldn't get up and arms about it. This includes Golden State. We got to change our thinking at some point or we just become toxic and stop enjoying the evolution of the game. The competition is flat out better.

/rant gold sticker

People don't like the lakers or their fans? How hard is that to understand?
LakersNavy
Sophomore
And1: 164

Post#47 » by LakersNavy » Tue May 4, 2021 4:30 pm

1. Big market with large, vocal fan base. People are jealous of the big market advantages and media attention.

2. Consistent winners; one of the most successful teams in North American sports history. Notice that people don't hate mediocre teams.

3. The Lakers have Lebron. Love him or hate him, he's a polarizing figure
ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,668

Post#48 » by ConSarnit » Tue May 4, 2021 4:41 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Liam_Gallagher wrote:Pelinka still had to make some risky deals before LeBron even signed there. For example, in order to unload Mosgov (previous ownership) he had to cut Russell lose. Also had to trade Clarkson and Nance for expirings (to Cleveland, ironically) in order to make more cap room.

Risky? How many other teams was Lebron willing to sign with?

Exactly. What a joke. Lebron is the definition of falling into your lap. There were probably 10 teams (at least) with a better outlook than the Lakers when he signed with them. He literally only chose them because they are in LA.
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#49 » by BoatsNZones » Tue May 4, 2021 4:44 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
manchambo wrote:I don’t know why we have to continue to have this conversation over and over, but since you asked the question: I hate the Lakers because their “rebuild” required virtually no effort or skill. It simply required them accepting AD and Lebron’s desire to go there.

Attractive cities don't need to rebuild. Sooner or later a star will want to go there. It's why the Nets and Clippers had no problems giving away all their picks.

Small markets have to grow their own food. Big markets just go to the grocery store and pick what they want.

To be fair, LA is effectively an overgrown dump at this point. But if you’re rich enough I suppose there’s still plenty of appeal to the city.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,401

Post#50 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 4, 2021 5:12 pm

BoatsNZones wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
manchambo wrote:I don’t know why we have to continue to have this conversation over and over, but since you asked the question: I hate the Lakers because their “rebuild” required virtually no effort or skill. It simply required them accepting AD and Lebron’s desire to go there.

Attractive cities don't need to rebuild. Sooner or later a star will want to go there. It's why the Nets and Clippers had no problems giving away all their picks.

Small markets have to grow their own food. Big markets just go to the grocery store and pick what they want.

To be fair, LA is effectively an overgrown dump at this point. But if you’re rich enough I suppose there’s still plenty of appeal to the city.

The weather is perfect year-round and every famous person lives there. Sure most of the city is a dump, but the rich live in their secluded bubble.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,734

Post#51 » by Jadoogar » Tue May 4, 2021 6:27 pm

BoatsNZones wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

Every city has bad areas. But that obviously wouldn't matter to players since they can live wherever they want.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,004

Post#52 » by Trey24 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:30 pm

Lebron James. Everyone knows this is like the "sell your soul" Lakers.

There's a reason many real Lakers fans don't respect Lebron to this day.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,811

Post#53 » by Marrrcuss » Tue May 4, 2021 6:35 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
bradybunch wrote:Is this your way of keeping them the center of attention?

I don't think a lot people give a damn about the Fakers. :lol:

You’d think but yesterday at one point there were 12 Lakers/LeBron posts on the front page of this very forum. Use that info as you will.

No complaints when its shade.

Lawd forbid it not be shade and the internet all the sudden runs out of room for new topics
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#54 » by IgorK » Tue May 4, 2021 6:38 pm

They hate us cuz they ain't us.

"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,510

Post#55 » by DoctorX » Tue May 4, 2021 6:38 pm

BoatsNZones wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

It's a dump for the average person but if you are rich it's probably the best place to live in the US for a young person which these athletes are.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by Marrrcuss » Tue May 4, 2021 6:44 pm

DoctorX wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

It's a dump for the average person but if you are rich it's probably the best place to live in the US for a young person which these athletes are.

Truth. Going to see the walk of fame requires a concealed permit in some spots. Lets hope no one is asleep on the star you wanna share to social media.
DoctorX
Veteran

Post#57 » by DoctorX » Tue May 4, 2021 6:55 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
DoctorX wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:

Truth. Going to see the walk of fame requires a concealed permit in some spots. Lets hope no one is asleep on the star you wanna share to social media.

I have family that lives in the Inland Empire. Every time I have visited I feel like I'm visiting scorched earth. The place is just dark and depressing.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,683

Post#58 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue May 4, 2021 6:56 pm

1) I'm from Boston
2) I cannot stand LeBron and his super teams.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by Marrrcuss » Tue May 4, 2021 7:03 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:1) I'm from Boston
2) I cannot stand LeBron and his super teams.

Says the franchise that has had the most super teams. Get mad because he got with one and beat you when you were up 3-2, lol.

Im in Boston working today. Should have gone to the game the other night and rooted for Portland
DoctorX
Veteran

Post#60 » by DoctorX » Tue May 4, 2021 7:04 pm

druggas wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
GrindCityHustle wrote:They won a title after a short 4 year rebuild and retirement of Kobe(RIP). To me that is a successful franchise.

They were only able to pull that off due to their location. Lebron signed there so he can film Space Jam 2 while AD demanded a trade there because he's obsessed with the "LA lifestyle".

If they weren't located in LA, they'd still be developing their young core like 95% of other teams have to.

Clippers say otherwise.

You can use Sterling era Clippers as an example. Under Balmer they have flipped Chris Paul,Blake Griffin for Kawhi/PG within a few years. With Balmer they will always be in the running to easily add talent.

Return to The General Board