Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,399

Re: Effects of COVID-19 on Previously Infected NBA Players 

Post#41 » by magee » Tue May 4, 2021 3:43 pm

Rudy Gobert mentioned that he still didn't have his sense of smell about three months after testing positive.

*Article for reference.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nba/2020/6/28/21306087/rudy-gobert-covid-19-coronavirus-side-effects-symptoms-2020-nba-season-restart
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,452

Post#42 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 3:52 pm

magee wrote:Rudy Gobert mentioned that he still didn't have his sense of smell about three months after testing positive.

*Article for reference.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nba/2020/6/28/21306087/rudy-gobert-covid-19-coronavirus-side-effects-symptoms-2020-nba-season-restart

It's insane how long that is taking to come back for some.

I'm pretty sure Scott is STILL 2 months after this video struggling to fully recover.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,430

Post#43 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 4, 2021 4:15 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Among Celtics who caught COVID-19:

-- Jayson Tatum is stil taking an inhaler before games.
-- Evan Fournier says he's mentally slow, and struggles with his depth perception.
-- Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, Romeo Langford and Marcus Smart, to my knowledge, say none of that stuff.

What do your guys report?

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/5/3/22416679/evan-fourniers-performance-is-bigger-than-basketball-boston-celtics-portland-trail-blazers-covid-19

Well, someone in my family now has a chronic life-threading blood clotting condition after having Covid. She's older, since I know people will care about that, but it's noteworthy to me because she actually had a quite mild case of Covid.

Me personally I'm fortunate that I never had, and hopefully never will now that I'm vaccinated.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,890

Post#44 » by ItsDanger » Tue May 4, 2021 4:27 pm

Several million people (maybe 3-8M depending on frequency) are on blood thinners. At some point, they are new to blood thinners. Keep that in mind when discussing covid. The extrapolation of these connections has reached absurdity.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
sllubwoc
Sophomore
And1: 135

Post#45 » by sllubwoc » Tue May 4, 2021 4:28 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

-- Evan Fournier says he's mentally slow, and struggles with his depth perception.
-- Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, Romeo Langford and Marcus Smart, to my knowledge, say none of that stuff.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/5/3/22416679/evan-fourniers-performance-is-bigger-than-basketball-boston-celtics-portland-trail-blazers-covid-19

Well, someone in my family now has a chronic life-threading blood clotting condition after having Covid. She's older, since I know people will care about that, but it's noteworthy to me because she actually had a quite mild case of Covid.

Me personally I'm fortunate that I never had, and hopefully never will now that I'm vaccinated.

You should be safe from Covid-19. What I'm very interested in, is what Covid-20,21,23 ect, ect are going to do to people who aren't allowing mother nature take its course on their bodies. Masks, hiding inside, doing everything humanly possible to not get any type of sickness. Guess that will be another interesting thing to watch out for down the road. I already got Covid 19 and I'm assuming I'll probably get the next one next flu season. I'll be a living test dummy for you guys. :lol:
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#46 » by celtics543 » Tue May 4, 2021 5:08 pm

sllubwoc wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

You should be safe from Covid-19. What I'm very interested in, is what Covid-20,21,23 ect, ect are going to do to people who aren't allowing mother nature take its course on their bodies. Masks, hiding inside, doing everything humanly possible to not get any type of sickness. Guess that will be another interesting thing to watch out for down the road. I already got Covid 19 and I'm assuming I'll probably get the next one next flu season. I'll be a living test dummy for you guys. :lol:

I'll ignore the fact that you don't seem to understand what the 19 in Covid-19 stands for and go along with this flawed thinking for a minute. Wouldn't that mean people have already had COVID 1 - 18 and they would have theoretically been better adapted to fight off COVID-19? How come this one was worse?

It's not a flu. NBA players don't take months to recover from the flu. I get what you're saying about building natural immunity but some viruses are different. The plague or the flu of 1918 for example. Natural immunity is great and people should build up theirs but there are times when natural immunity isn't enough. You can make the grand scale statement that it's how natural selection works and scientifically speaking you're correct but in real life those are people's friends and family that are dying.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 930

Post#47 » by perempe20 » Tue May 4, 2021 5:13 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:-- Jayson Tatum is stil taking an inhaler before games.

what substance does he use?
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#48 » by Feed Your Head » Tue May 4, 2021 5:39 pm

Tatum had the worst shooting month of his career post Covid, but ever since the all star break, he’s pretty much looked like his normal self.

27 PPG on a 59% TS in the 10 games pre Covid.
24 PPG on a 53% TS in the 21 games post Covid.
28 PPG on a 62% TS in the 28 games after the all star break.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,890

Post#49 » by ItsDanger » Tue May 4, 2021 5:42 pm

sllubwoc wrote:

An even more interesting outcome will be the impact of influenza in the coming seasons after these preventative measures taken this past year.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#50 » by HabsAndDubs » Tue May 4, 2021 5:47 pm

Draymond Green started the season off really slow, and Wiseman got COVID too and looked all sorts of lost and outmatched during long stretches of the season. Could be some different factors there, but it should be alarming to everyone that some of the fittest people in the country are experiencing serious lingering effects from this.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,197

Post#51 » by BBallFreak » Tue May 4, 2021 7:29 pm

sllubwoc wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Well, why bother with the polio vaccine, then? Mumps? Measles? Rubella? Got diabetes? Screw insulin! Cancer? Forget surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy. A heart condition? Don't bother getting a pacemaker. Let's just let natural selection take its course!

I had COVID, as well. For me, it was minor. My best friend had it. He was in the hospital for a month on oxygen and had extreme difficulty even speaking. Had multiple seizures and almost died, twice. When they sent him home (and they sent him home earlier than they should because he still needed the oxygen, but they needed the bed more) he had nerve damage in both his hands and feet. Months later, he's still foggy-headed and fatigued. His wife, who is pregnant, had to be hooked up to a heart monitor because they weren't sure if the virus had damaged the organ.

One of my closest friends from high school and her husband got the virus. He recovered. She didn't. Ended up on a ventilator for a month before finally succumbing. Then, a few weeks after she died, he had a massive heart attack and died. COVID destroyed his heart.

I'm 44 years old. These are real people around my age. Too young to suffer like that. Too young to die. COVID isn't a freaking cold! Yes, it's likely you'll live through it, and thank goodness for that, but you may not, and you may never be the same even if you do. Stop being so flippant. COVID is real and it's serious...
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,891

Post#52 » by Shock Defeat » Tue May 4, 2021 8:11 pm

HabsAndDubs wrote:Draymond Green started the season off really slow, and Wiseman got COVID too and looked all sorts of lost and outmatched during long stretches of the season. Could be some different factors there, but it should be alarming to everyone that some of the fittest people in the country are experiencing serious lingering effects from this.

It is alarming, but I can't believe people were saying it's just like the flu last year. Heck, some people still say that it's like the flu now.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,346

Post#53 » by MadDogSHWA » Tue May 4, 2021 8:16 pm

751 Americans died yesterday from COVID.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#54 » by HabsAndDubs » Tue May 4, 2021 8:27 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
HabsAndDubs wrote:Draymond Green started the season off really slow, and Wiseman got COVID too and looked all sorts of lost and outmatched during long stretches of the season. Could be some different factors there, but it should be alarming to everyone that some of the fittest people in the country are experiencing serious lingering effects from this.

It is alarming, but I can't believe people were saying it's just like the flu last year. Heck, some people still say that it's like the flu now.

Yeah, people are absolute bozos. There are athletes healthier than any of us here who have been completely wiped out because of this and people are still BSing about the “99.99997% of people recover!!”. Like yeah okay your fat ass that doesn’t leave your couch is going to be fine, while Jayson Tatum struggles to breathe properly? Lol ok
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,816

Post#55 » by nikster » Tue May 4, 2021 8:33 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
sllubwoc wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Well, why bother with the polio vaccine, then? Mumps? Measles? Rubella? Got diabetes? Screw insulin! Cancer? Forget surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy. A heart condition? Don't bother getting a pacemaker. Let's just let natural selection take its course!

I had COVID, as well. For me, it was minor. My best friend had it. He was in the hospital for a month on oxygen and had extreme difficulty even speaking. Had multiple seizures and almost died, twice. When they sent him home (and they sent him home earlier than they should because he still needed the oxygen, but they needed the bed more) he had nerve damage in both his hands and feet. Months later, he's still foggy-headed and fatigued. His wife, who is pregnant, had to be hooked up to a heart monitor because they weren't sure if the virus had damaged the organ.

One of my closest friends from high school and her husband got the virus. He recovered. She didn't. Ended up on a ventilator for a month before finally succumbing. Then, a few weeks after she died, he had a massive heart attack and died. COVID destroyed his heart.

I'm 44 years old. These are real people around my age. Too young to suffer like that. Too young to die. COVID isn't a freaking cold! Yes, it's likely you'll live through it, and thank goodness for that, but you may not, and you may never be the same even if you do. Stop being so flippant. COVID is real and it's serious...

Yup, it seems like a lot of these anti-vaxxers are just anti medicine/science in general. But many of these people will still rush to an hospital in an emergency to put their lives in the hands of the same doctors telling them to get vaccinated
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,430

Post#56 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 4, 2021 9:03 pm

sllubwoc wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Hmm. I don't think you understand how the human immune system works.

The entire thing about vaccines is that they are simply piggy backing on what our body's immune system already does. The word "vaccine" means "cow", a reference to cowpox, because it was noted that those who'd had cowpox were better able to fight off smallpox, so people were exposed to cowpox to allow the immune system to build the antibodies that would allow it to fight of smallpox.

This puts it in a very different category from antibiotics which are trying to kill the disease so your immune system doesn't have to.

All this to say: There's every reason to think that if you and I had comparably effective immune systems before, mine is now stronger because I got the vaccine. There's literally no reason to think of this as a situation where I'm keeping my immune system from getting stronger because of the reliance on the vaccine.

To be clear: I'm not saying that nothing bad could possibly ever happen to someone who gets the vaccine. There are many unknowns. But fundamentally, getting a vaccine is a bit analogous to practicing basketball before you play a real game to gain skill at playing basketball.

Re: should be safe from Covid-19 but what about Covid-20. I'm going to assume you're saying this a bit tongue in cheek, but to be clear, while I think the vaccines available are the best thing to get to protect you from Covid-19 and all future variants of the disease, I don't consider anything to be a sure thing.

This is something new, and the intuition we have based on the flu is problematic when looking at a new disease.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#57 » by Metallikid » Tue May 4, 2021 9:03 pm

celtics543 wrote:
sllubwoc wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

I'll ignore the fact that you don't seem to understand what the 19 in Covid-19 stands for and go along with this flawed thinking for a minute. Wouldn't that mean people have already had COVID 1 - 18 and they would have theoretically been better adapted to fight off COVID-19? How come this one was worse?

It's not a flu. NBA players don't take months to recover from the flu. I get what you're saying about building natural immunity but some viruses are different. The plague or the flu of 1918 for example. Natural immunity is great and people should build up theirs but there are times when natural immunity isn't enough. You can make the grand scale statement that it's how natural selection works and scientifically speaking you're correct but in real life those are people's friends and family that are dying.

Covid is much closer to the flu than it is to either Smallpox or the Spanish Flu. Saying it is like those diseases is not only a blatant lie, but outright fearmongering. Go look at the death rates. Follow the science.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#58 » by Metallikid » Tue May 4, 2021 9:09 pm

HabsAndDubs wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:

Yeah, people are absolute bozos. There are athletes healthier than any of us here who have been completely wiped out because of this and people are still BSing about the “99.99997% of people recover!!”. Like yeah okay your fat ass that doesn’t leave your couch is going to be fine, while Jayson Tatum struggles to breathe properly? Lol ok

Almost my entire American family had it, more than 10 people. All of them overweight, some severely. Nobody had anything other than mild flu-like symptoms and after a month no one has reported any additional fatigue.

If you're going to use anecdotes you should realize there are a lot more about people getting it and being completely fine in a short period of time with no lingering effects whatsoever.

But instead you're going to choose whichever piece of evidence that triggers a fear response instead.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#59 » by Metallikid » Tue May 4, 2021 9:21 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:751 Americans died yesterday from COVID.

Approximately 7,500 people die everyday in the United States. What is your point?

You know almost twice as many people who have died from Covid total, died from Tobacco in Canada just in 2020?

"Tobacco use continues to be the leading preventable cause of premature death in Canada. While tobacco use has decreased, a significant number of Canadians still use tobacco and cigarette smoking kills 45,000 Canadians each year."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/healthy-living/canada-tobacco-strategy/overview-canada-tobacco-strategy.html

I never heard anyone saying we should ban cigarettes permanently over the strain smokers put on our medical system and ICUs.

We never justified crushing human rights over deaths from second hand smoke.

Almost everyone in here has lost all sense of priority, proportionality, and rationality.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,891

Post#60 » by Shock Defeat » Tue May 4, 2021 9:29 pm

Metallikid wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:751 Americans died yesterday from COVID.

Approximately 7,500 people die everyday in the United States. What is your point?

You know almost twice as many people who have died from Covid total, died from Tobacco in Canada just in 2020?

"Tobacco use continues to be the leading preventable cause of premature death in Canada. While tobacco use has decreased, a significant number of Canadians still use tobacco and cigarette smoking kills 45,000 Canadians each year."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/healthy-living/canada-tobacco-strategy/overview-canada-tobacco-strategy.html

I never heard anyone saying we should ban cigarettes permanently over the strain smokers put on our medical system and ICUs.

We never justified crushing human rights over deaths from second hand smoke.

Almost everyone in here has lost all sense of priority, proportionality, and rationality.

Maybe if cigarette smoke destroys health systems like what’s happening in India right now, then we should ban smoking.

Return to The General Board