ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1161 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 4, 2021 5:40 pm

My current top 10

1. J Green

2. C Cunningham

3. E Mobley

4. J Suggs

5. J Kuminga

6. M Moody

7. J Bouknight

8. J Giddey

9. S Barnes

10. A Dosunmu
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,888

Post#1162 » by Reeko » Tue May 4, 2021 5:45 pm

Dalek wrote:
Reeko wrote:Am I crazy for thinking that Scottie Barnes is Giannis-esque in his drives to the basket?

I get the shades of Giannis and to me, his high dribble and flashy passing reminds me of Magic Johnson although he is not a floor general. He is a fun player to build around for sure, but I think many teams will pass on him because his shooting is a major flaw.

If you think he is a big PG type like Simmons I think that would be a mistake. I think his real position is as a PF where he can easily guard his position, can out quick the guys he faces and make plays. To me he is the next Lamar Odom. He is a guy that grabs a board and leads a break, or leaks out and gets a quick transition bucket.

No, definitely do not view him as a PG. At the high end he is some cross between Giannis and Draymond Green, obviously that is a ridiculously good player, albeit a flawed one. With his physical tools, his skills as a ball handler and passer, and his elite defense, he might have the highest ceiling in this draft. If he puts it all together and learns how to shoot, sky is the limit. I don't think Odom was in the same league defensively as Barnes, but offensively I can see the comparison.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#1163 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue May 4, 2021 5:47 pm

i'd be willing to try Scottie at point, prob wouldn't work great offensively (NBA offenses need real guards look at Ben Simmons or the Celtics w/o Kemba), but the argument here is that he'd have a much easier time scoring vs guards then centers (because Scottie doesn't really produce separation off the dribble vs bigs, this is why I like Jalen Johnson a little better)
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1164 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 4, 2021 5:48 pm

One guy I think hovering under the radar because he's a little older and not neccesarily a sexy pick is Dosunmu, the junior out of Illinois.

He's a 6'4 guard with a 6'8 wingspan. Posted 20PPG / 6 REB / 5 AST this past season with shooting splits of 48 FG, 39 3PT, 78 FT. And he got to the line 5 times a game.

He profiles as one these under the radar guys who posted really good numbers but gets knocked down because he isnt a fresh or soph
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#1165 » by mademan » Tue May 4, 2021 5:51 pm

I wouldnt mind Scottie Barnes and think he might actually be the pick if he's available. Dude's gonna be a winner on the next level. Got Draymond Green type potential
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,213

Post#1166 » by niQ » Tue May 4, 2021 6:04 pm

On defense, I get OG vibes from Scottie Barnes.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#1167 » by mademan » Tue May 4, 2021 6:06 pm

niQ wrote:On defense, I get OG vibes from Scottie Barnes.

OG/Barnes together would keep the Raps a top 5 defensive team for the next 7 years. Need a scorer after that tho at the guard spot
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#1168 » by Dalek » Tue May 4, 2021 6:07 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:One guy I think hovering under the radar because he's a little older and not neccesarily a sexy pick is Dosunmu, the junior out of Illinois.

He's a 6'4 guard with a 6'8 wingspan. Posted 20PPG / 6 REB / 5 AST this past season with shooting splits of 48 FG, 39 3PT, 78 FT. And he got to the line 5 times a game.

He profiles as one these under the radar guys who posted really good numbers but gets knocked down because he isnt a fresh or soph

He has good positional size as a guard, but he is a pretty blow the rim player. He might get an occasional dunk but he is not a crazy athlete. He does know how to finish at the rim, and he does have a good motor but the things holding him back are his shot, which improved but I wouldn't call him a scorer. To me he is a second round pick, but someone might like him in with a late first. I hope he ends up on Chicago. He is a local guy that loves the city.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,119

Post#1169 » by billy_hoyle » Tue May 4, 2021 6:18 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
nuggett wrote:You are crazy. We're winning the lottery and taking Cade!

( only takes me 4-5 tries on the draft sim lol! )

I got three times in 10 pulls!

Cade fits so well in our line-ups

FVV---------FVV--------Cade-------Flynn
Cade ------GTJ---------GTJ---------GTJ
OG----------Cade-------OG----------Cade
Siakam---OG----------Siakam---Boucher
FA big-----Siakam----FA big-----FA big

Be nice to bring back Ibaka into that rotation IMO.

Imagine Lowry + Ibaka....pipe dream with KLOWs contract demands.

Cade is the Kawhi type 6'8" fulcrum player we're missing that converts our secondary players into a championship level support cast.
If we get a top pick, I actually think Green fills the biggest Raptors need - a legit #1 scorer who can create for himself and score it from anywhere on the court. Cade is a solid all-around player but I doubt that he becomes an elite scorer like Kawhi. Green has elite scoring potential.

Green allows you to move Siakam/OG/VV to the 2/3/4 offensive options which suits them better.

I think Cade does the same thing, has better playmaking potential, and defensive potential.

I think having a guy that fits as a pseudo PG from an offensive perspective is more of a need. Plus he looks like a defensively versatile player.

Green looks like a no 1 scorer. Which, I agree is a need, but he might be 1 way player.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,274

Post#1170 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:24 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
I got three times in 10 pulls!

Cade fits so well in our line-ups

FVV---------FVV--------Cade-------Flynn
Cade ------GTJ---------GTJ---------GTJ
OG----------Cade-------OG----------Cade
Siakam---OG----------Siakam---Boucher
FA big-----Siakam----FA big-----FA big

Be nice to bring back Ibaka into that rotation IMO.

Imagine Lowry + Ibaka....pipe dream with KLOWs contract demands.

Cade is the Kawhi type 6'8" fulcrum player we're missing that converts our secondary players into a championship level support cast.
If we get a top pick, I actually think Green fills the biggest Raptors need - a legit #1 scorer who can create for himself and score it from anywhere on the court. Cade is a solid all-around player but I doubt that he becomes an elite scorer like Kawhi. Green has elite scoring potential.

Green allows you to move Siakam/OG/VV to the 2/3/4 offensive options which suits them better.

I think Cade does the same thing, has better playmaking potential, and defensive potential.

I think having a guy that fits as a pseudo PG from an offensive perspective is more of a need. Plus he looks like a defensively versatile player.

Green looks like a no 1 scorer. Which, I agree is a need, but he might be 1 way player.

Cade is going to be an elite primary scorer.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#1171 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue May 4, 2021 6:26 pm

Cade is a better scorer than Green lol, the narratives around those two are very weird considering
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1172 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 4, 2021 7:05 pm

Cade reminds me more a Grant Hill / Jimmy Butler type who will impact the game in many different ways, but I don't see an elite scorer when I look at his numbers or watch him play.

Green, while not nearly as well rounded as Cade has Bradley Beal type scoring ability in terms of scoring from every spot on the court.
Blood Orange
Sixth Man
And1: 2,795

Post#1173 » by Blood Orange » Tue May 4, 2021 7:08 pm

Reeko wrote:Am I crazy for thinking that Scottie Barnes is Giannis-esque in his drives to the basket?

Yea, those long arms give him natural separation from his defender when driving to the cup and make it difficult for him to be blocked.

I really like Scottie Barnes and agree with everyone that see him as an OG clone but he'd be playing at the 4 spot for us. On the defensive end, we'd be a terror for teams that aren't dynamic offensively, if we select him. I think his most underrated and useful skill is still his playmaking ability and he showcases a lot of really awe-inspiring passes in the video. His main issue is his 3-point shooting, similar to when OG came into the league, so he won't be able to space the floor immediately but that's part of his game that certainly can be improved overtime. If we pick him in the first round, I wouldn't be mad at that whatsoever.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#1174 » by Indeed » Tue May 4, 2021 7:20 pm

JuelzSantana wrote:

Yea, those long arms give him natural separation from his defender when driving to the cup and make it difficult for him to be blocked.

I really like Scottie Barnes and agree with everyone that see him as an OG clone but he'd be playing at the 4 spot for us. On the defensive end, we'd be a terror for teams that aren't dynamic offensively, if we select him. I think his most underrated and useful skill is still his playmaking ability and he showcases a lot of really awe-inspiring passes in the video. His main issue is his 3-point shooting, similar to when OG came into the league, so he won't be able to space the floor immediately but that's part of his game that certainly can be improved overtime. If we pick him in the first round, I wouldn't be mad at that whatsoever.

He is an inch taller than Birch, so he is not necessarily playing the 4 spot, as he may play the 5.
If he measures longer, maybe he can be a 5 for small ball lineup.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#1175 » by Indeed » Tue May 4, 2021 7:24 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:i'd be willing to try Scottie at point, prob wouldn't work great offensively (NBA offenses need real guards look at Ben Simmons or the Celtics w/o Kemba), but the argument here is that he'd have a much easier time scoring vs guards then centers (because Scottie doesn't really produce separation off the dribble vs bigs, this is why I like Jalen Johnson a little better)

Real guards in terms of having the combination of ball penetration, shooting and passing?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,155

Post#1176 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:25 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Cade reminds me more a Grant Hill / Jimmy Butler type who will impact the game in many different ways, but I don't see an elite scorer when I look at his numbers or watch him play.

Green, while not nearly as well rounded as Cade has Bradley Beal type scoring ability in terms of scoring from every spot on the court.

I think thats the part of his game he will develop in the NBA, if at all. right now, he's got a pretty great all around game. if he takes that step in his career with the ability to be a 'score from anywhere' type of player, thats a superstar/generational talent.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#1177 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue May 4, 2021 7:27 pm

Indeed wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:i'd be willing to try Scottie at point, prob wouldn't work great offensively (NBA offenses need real guards look at Ben Simmons or the Celtics w/o Kemba), but the argument here is that he'd have a much easier time scoring vs guards then centers (because Scottie doesn't really produce separation off the dribble vs bigs, this is why I like Jalen Johnson a little better)

Real guards in terms of having the combination of ball penetration, shooting and passing?

yup a varied combo of all those, real guards are the biggest advantage creators in the NBA, without those the offense stalls hard, look at our playoff series vs Boston last year for example, it was Kemba that was the difference maker playing our bigs off the court, otherwise we had Tatum and Brown contained.

Obviously sometimes you have outlier players that can be real guards in non traditional bodies (lebron, luka, magic etc) but those players are far and few, even an approximation like Simmons doesn't really work at a high level
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,621

Post#1178 » by Psubs » Tue May 4, 2021 7:32 pm

niQ wrote:On defense, I get OG vibes from Scottie Barnes.

I get Siakam vibes. He's like a Siakam clone with Dwight Howard shoulders.
Blood Orange
Sixth Man
And1: 2,795

Post#1179 » by Blood Orange » Tue May 4, 2021 7:37 pm

Indeed wrote:
JuelzSantana wrote:

He is an inch taller than Birch, so he is not necessarily playing the 4 spot, as he may play the 5.
If he measures longer, maybe he can be a 5 for small ball lineup.

True, he definitely can play small ball 5 and it does seem like a future possibility, especially since he's 19 and has the potential to grow even more. However, immediately, I don't see us utilizing him as a small ball 5, I see him being played at one of the forward spots.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#1180 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Tue May 4, 2021 7:39 pm

Ya, Scottie Barnes seems like the Raptors type.. I'm sure they pick him if he's available

Return to Toronto Raptors