Which HC jobs open up this offseason?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Which HC job opens this offseason?

ATL
4%
WAS
10%
CLE
8%
ORL
5%
DET
5%
POR
29%
SAC
30%
Other
8%

Total votes: 115

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,828

Re: Which HC jobs open up this offseason? 

Post#21 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 4, 2021 6:38 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Dallas would make me so happy :pray:

I've never understood the camp of Dallas fans who hate Carlisle. I understand not agreeing with some of his decisions but: Carlisle pretty much guarantees you an overachieving bench, and in the playoffs his adaptability is second to none. Carlisle out-adjusts everyone in the playoffs. I'll never forget 2014, when Dallas almost beat San Antonio (who decimated everyone that year) with 35 year old Dirk and Monta Ellis. He then got joke level squads (built around Dirk's final years) to the playoffs for 2 more years before Dallas completely bottomed out for a bit. Him and Doncic are going to be a dangerous playoff duo for the next many years, so enjoy it!

Like you really want them to move on from Carlisle and hire...who? Carlisle is a top 5 coach. The moment he leaves Dallas, half the teams in the league are going to offer him the biggest contract possible.

Carlisle is a perpetual first round exit coach with the exception of the one year Dirk absolutely carried them. He doesn’t play young players and alienates countless others. There’s a reason that guys like Rondo, Odom, Noel, Crowder, and Barnes all have some of the worst years of their careers statistically while under Rick. In any other sport or hell, on any other basketball team, if you don’t get your team out of the first round once in the last 10 years, your ass is in the unemployment line. Why should Carlisle be any different?

FIRE JASON KIDD
audiosway
Junior
And1: 263

Post#22 » by audiosway » Tue May 4, 2021 6:50 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:

I've never understood the camp of Dallas fans who hate Carlisle. I understand not agreeing with some of his decisions but: Carlisle pretty much guarantees you an overachieving bench, and in the playoffs his adaptability is second to none. Carlisle out-adjusts everyone in the playoffs. I'll never forget 2014, when Dallas almost beat San Antonio (who decimated everyone that year) with 35 year old Dirk and Monta Ellis. He then got joke level squads (built around Dirk's final years) to the playoffs for 2 more years before Dallas completely bottomed out for a bit. Him and Doncic are going to be a dangerous playoff duo for the next many years, so enjoy it!

Like you really want them to move on from Carlisle and hire...who? Carlisle is a top 5 coach. The moment he leaves Dallas, half the teams in the league are going to offer him the biggest contract possible.

I couldn't agree more. Anyone who wants Rick OUT of Dallas needs their head examined. I guess the grass is always greener to some. I want to see Rick finish his career in Dallas way in the future. He's not going anywhere.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#23 » by Buzzard » Tue May 4, 2021 6:50 pm

I went Atlanta, Portland, Sacramento. I'm not sold McMillan will be back. I hope he does come back but think there could be some ill will with the Pierce firing. I am not sure McMillan appreciated being stuck in the middle.

I do think this Hawks team is potentially the most talented he has ever had. It could also be his best shot at getting to the next level. Depending on the continued growth, future picks, signings, and trades.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
audiosway
Junior
And1: 263

Post#24 » by audiosway » Tue May 4, 2021 6:53 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:

Carlisle is a perpetual first round exit coach with the exception of the one year Dirk absolutely carried them. He doesn’t play young players and alienates countless others. There’s a reason that guys like Rondo, Odom, Noel, Crowder, and Barnes all have some of the worst years of their careers statistically while under Rick. In any other sport or hell, on any other basketball team, if you don’t get your team out of the first round once in the last 10 years, your ass is in the unemployment line. Why should Carlisle be any different?

You lost me posting a video of Kendrick Perkins talking about Rick. Rondo, Odom, and Noel were cancers. Crowder and Barnes developed a lot under Rick. That Dallas team not getting out of the first round had a lot to do with the rosters.
CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,249

Post#25 » by CraftylikeaFox » Tue May 4, 2021 6:54 pm

Luke Walton for sure. The guy came into coaching thinking he was the next Phil Jackson. He’d probably make a really desirable assistant coach going forward but he has no actual idea how to get a team to play effectively.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#26 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 4, 2021 7:13 pm

audiosway wrote:You lost me posting a video of Kendrick Perkins talking about Rick. Rondo, Odom, and Noel were cancers. Crowder and Barnes developed a lot under Rick. That Dallas team not getting out of the first round had a lot to do with the rosters.

Despite how you feel about Perkins, he’s one of the most respected and well liked players that the league has had in the last 15 years, so I believe him when he’s voicing the opinions of guys he talks to. I know it’s a fools errand to hope Carlisle ever gets fired, which is why I just have to hope that he just decides to “retire” abruptly like Don Nelson also did with the Mavericks… Maybe then this team could actually win against the Rockets, Kings, Thunder, Cavs, or Wolves.

As someone who has watched every second of every game he’s coached in Dallas, I can tell you it’s not working
FIRE JASON KIDD
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,577

Post#27 » by bisme37 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:15 pm

Trey24 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Lol Brad Stevens isn't going anywhere ya bunch of weirdos. His team has been to the ECFs 3 times in 4 years, he just signed an extension with the C's, and he did not even consider his previous dream job at Indiana when it opened up.

Then why was his wife calling UNC over the last 2 months. The same time that he turned down the Indiana offer???

Well I don't believe that to be true. A couple months ago Indiana fans were bombarding the internet welcoming Brad Stevens as their new coach because the rumor was it was already a done deal. And then turns out that was not remotely true either. Just unfounded nonsense based in wishful thinking.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#28 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 4, 2021 7:23 pm

CraftylikeaFox wrote:Luke Walton for sure. The guy came into coaching thinking he was the next Phil Jackson.

Play Dallas 82 times, and he sure looks like Phil Jackson
FIRE JASON KIDD
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,012

Post#29 » by Trey24 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:33 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Trey24 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Lol Brad Stevens isn't going anywhere ya bunch of weirdos. His team has been to the ECFs 3 times in 4 years, he just signed an extension with the C's, and he did not even consider his previous dream job at Indiana when it opened up.

Then why was his wife calling UNC over the last 2 months. The same time that he turned down the Indiana offer???

Well I don't believe that to be true. A couple months ago Indiana fans were bombarding the internet welcoming Brad Stevens as their new coach because the rumor was it was already a done deal. And then turns out that was not remotely true either. Just unfounded nonsense based in wishful thinking.

It is 100% true. They would probably be in discussions right now if it wasn't for Roy Williams and MJ strongholding/blackmailing UNC into Davis as HC.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,832

Post#30 » by Beethoven » Tue May 4, 2021 7:43 pm

Im suspecting Vogel as well, after this debacle of a season, and if it continues on into next season.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,378

Post#31 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 4, 2021 7:51 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:

This is all pretty cherry picked stuff that has to ignore context and list only bad and not good.

1. Perpetual first-round exit coach. Carlisle has been to the playoffs in 13 of the 19 years he's been a head coach. His teams have been eliminated in the first round 7 of those times. He's won a championship once. He went to the Conference Finals twice. He's been in the second round 3 other times. He also got to at least the second round his first 4 years as a coach, across 2 different teams. But that's not the only point. We don't judge a coach in any given year solely by how far they get in the playoffs. We have to also judge it by how good was their team, how far were they expected to go.
- The first time Carlisle lost in the first round, was the 2006 Indiana Pacers. This was the team decimated by Malice at the Palace Ron Artest suspension. This was the year Reggie retired and Artest was traded for Peja, who got hurt and missed most of their first round. Jermaine O'neal missed half the season with injuries as well.
- His first year in Dallas, he got to the second round. His first round 1 defeat in Dallas came the next year against lower seeded San Antonio. That was technically an upset and I guess you can hold it against him. I felt at the time that Dallas was a regular season overachiever that didn't have a real starting center that could play with Dirk. Dampier, Hayward, Diop... it took Dallas a long time to put the right center next to Dirk (and then they let him walk the next year).
- The year after that they won a championship. You can give 100% of the credit to Dirk if you want, but you'd have to ignore a lot of stuff to say that Carlisle didn't outcoach Phil Jackson, Erik Spolestra, Scott Brooks and Nate McMillan. This team was a very well coached 2-way that made lots of great adjustments and changes to the rotation. Putting in Peja against the Lakers sunk them. Dallas' decision to go zone against Lebron handed the King the biggest embarrassment of his career.
- The years after that, the roster was hamstrung by Cuban/Nelson's desire to go big game hunting. They let Chandler walk, let Kidd walk, never signed a significant free agent, and pretty much told Carlisle to try his best with scraps of the junk heap around a gradually aging Dirk.

Pretty much, which series was Carlisle supposed to win but didn't win? Maybe 2010, maybe second round in 2009, but I don't see any other year where they should have won a series and lost instead. Why didn't Dirk just carry them the other years if Carlisle's coaching mattered so little in 2011?

2. Alienates players. Besides maybe Rondo, you didn't give a single good example of a player who has floundered under Carlisle and succeeded elsewhere.

- You listed Lamar Odom. Did Carlisle introduce him to crack cocaine? Was that Carlisle's fault somehow? Explain.
- Crowder was a young guy. He showed promise in Dallas and they used him as a trade chip. It took Crowder 2 more years before he learned how to shoot well enough to become a really useful rotation piece. I bet Dallas would have liked to keep him, but at the time, trading for Rondo was as no brainer. Crowder didn't explode right away in Boston, he simply continued his career trajectory as a useful 2-way rotation piece.
- I'll give you Rondo I guess. I've never seen a player quit on a team like that in the playoffs. It was a worse look for Rondo imo, but if you want to give Carlisle a fair share of the blame, I don't know enough to tell you not to.
- How did he alienate Barnes? Barnes got the offense built around him for a couple years and then they no longer needed him when the drafted Luka. Barnes hasn't been particularly great anywhere, but Dallas was the height of his career in terms of individual performance. Weird example.
- Noel turned down a 72m contract and then it just became awkward since he was obviously going to leave anyways. Clear front office issue. If Carlisle didn't like him, that's another issue. He was fine with Carlisle before the contract got turned down. It's not like Noel has been anything more than a plucky backup at any other stop.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,577

Post#32 » by bisme37 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:55 pm

Trey24 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Trey24 wrote:

It is 100% true. They would probably be in discussions right now if it wasn't for Roy Williams and MJ strongholding/blackmailing UNC into Davis as HC.

Ok man you win. The evidence is overwhelming lol.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,012

Post#33 » by Trey24 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:15 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Trey24 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:

Ok man you win. The evidence is overwhelming lol.

I have no idea of it is public knowledge or not, I heard it from the UNC athletic department. While I can't prove it is "fact", it just is lol
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#34 » by tmorgan » Tue May 4, 2021 8:36 pm

You know why Carlisle and Rondo didn’t work? Because they’re the same person. Control freak, irritable, highly talented, my way or the highway type. Annoying as hell but produces so you tolerate it. Rondo is probably worse, though. The stories from his time at Kentucky are legendary.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#35 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 4, 2021 9:26 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:

This is all pretty cherry picked stuff that has to ignore context and list only bad and not good.

1. Perpetual first-round exit coach. Carlisle has been to the playoffs in 13 of the 19 years he's been a head coach. His teams have been eliminated in the first round 7 of those times. He's won a championship once. He went to the Conference Finals twice. He's been in the second round 3 other times. He also got to at least the second round his first 4 years as a coach, across 2 different teams. But that's not the only point. We don't judge a coach in any given year solely by how far they get in the playoffs. We have to also judge it by how good was their team, how far were they expected to go.
- The first time Carlisle lost in the first round, was the 2006 Indiana Pacers. This was the team decimated by Malice at the Palace Ron Artest suspension. This was the year Reggie retired and Artest was traded for Peja, who got hurt and missed most of their first round. Jermaine O'neal missed half the season with injuries as well.
- His first year in Dallas, he got to the second round. His first round 1 defeat in Dallas came the next year against lower seeded San Antonio. That was technically an upset and I guess you can hold it against him. I felt at the time that Dallas was a regular season overachiever that didn't have a real starting center that could play with Dirk. Dampier, Hayward, Diop... it took Dallas a long time to put the right center next to Dirk (and then they let him walk the next year).
- The year after that they won a championship. You can give 100% of the credit to Dirk if you want, but you'd have to ignore a lot of stuff to say that Carlisle didn't outcoach Phil Jackson, Erik Spolestra, Scott Brooks and Nate McMillan. This team was a very well coached 2-way that made lots of great adjustments and changes to the rotation. Putting in Peja against the Lakers sunk them. Dallas' decision to go zone against Lebron handed the King the biggest embarrassment of his career.
- The years after that, the roster was hamstrung by Cuban/Nelson's desire to go big game hunting. They let Chandler walk, let Kidd walk, never signed a significant free agent, and pretty much told Carlisle to try his best with scraps of the junk heap around a gradually aging Dirk.

Pretty much, which series was Carlisle supposed to win but didn't win? Maybe 2010, maybe second round in 2009, but I don't see any other year where they should have won a series and lost instead. Why didn't Dirk just carry them the other years if Carlisle's coaching mattered so little in 2011?

2. Alienates players. Besides maybe Rondo, you didn't give a single good example of a player who has floundered under Carlisle and succeeded elsewhere.

- You listed Lamar Odom. Did Carlisle introduce him to crack cocaine? Was that Carlisle's fault somehow? Explain.
- Crowder was a young guy. He showed promise in Dallas and they used him as a trade chip. It took Crowder 2 more years before he learned how to shoot well enough to become a really useful rotation piece. I bet Dallas would have liked to keep him, but at the time, trading for Rondo was as no brainer. Crowder didn't explode right away in Boston, he simply continued his career trajectory as a useful 2-way rotation piece.
- I'll give you Rondo I guess. I've never seen a player quit on a team like that in the playoffs. It was a worse look for Rondo imo, but if you want to give Carlisle a fair share of the blame, I don't know enough to tell you not to.
- How did he alienate Barnes? Barnes got the offense built around him for a couple years and then they no longer needed him when the drafted Luka. Barnes hasn't been particularly great anywhere, but Dallas was the height of his career in terms of individual performance. Weird example.
- Noel turned down a 72m contract and then it just became awkward since he was obviously going to leave anyways. Clear front office issue. If Carlisle didn't like him, that's another issue. He was fine with Carlisle before the contract got turned down. It's not like Noel has been anything more than a plucky backup at any other stop.

You do realize that good coaches can become bad coaches over time right? There’s a reason why guys like Mike Brown, Larry Brown, George Karl have essentially been blacklisted from head coaching gigs in the NBA… doesn’t take away from previous accomplishments, but they didn’t exactly have glorious exits because they couldn’t adapt.. . Same thing is happening with Rick. The same coach that broke Lebron brain in 2011 isnt exactly the same coach today that expects Dwight Powell to contain Embiid in 2021. He never changed with the times and it’s why Dallas is headed for another swift 1st round exit
FIRE JASON KIDD
CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,249

Post#36 » by CraftylikeaFox » Tue May 4, 2021 9:56 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
CraftylikeaFox wrote:Luke Walton for sure. The guy came into coaching thinking he was the next Phil Jackson.

Play Dallas 82 times, and he sure looks like Phil Jackson

Go to any major Kings forum (they are pretty dead these days which isn't very surprising) and you'll see tons of different jokes about this. We could be on a 10 game losing streak, but then game 11 we play the Mavs and treat it like it's game 7 of the NBA finals.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#37 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 4, 2021 10:28 pm

JXL wrote:Sacramento definitely. Walton underachieved with that roster, even with Fox playing borderline All-Star levels.

It will be interesting to see what happens there.

In the Vivek era, the Kings have had 2 coaches seeming to be getting things going in the right direction and they've immediately fired them, which would seem to indicate a quick trigger. But on the other hand, they've to this point shown no signs that they can be expected to identify the right coach, so firing yet another coach after only 2 years isn't necessarily the wisest thing.

Regardless, rough start to Luke's coaching career. I'd be inclined to say that he should go back to being an assistant for a while.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#38 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 4, 2021 10:31 pm

Jadoogar wrote:If portland gets waxed in the first round (which is what i'm expecting), i think Stotts is out. Blazers have been stuck in the same spot for a while and coach is the first thing they change.

Bud is also a strong candidate if they lose in the second round

I'm amazed Stotts as lasted as long as he has. Yeah, feels like time to move on.

Re: Bud if they lose in the 2nd. Quite possibly. The thing that's tough is once again this thing about "Is there any reason to think Team A would know someone better than Coach X if they had the chance to hire him?". I mean, Bud's been a massive improvement over Kidd.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#39 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 4, 2021 10:33 pm

Mighty Quinn wrote:Van Gundy will almost certainly be on the chopping block if the Flamingos know what's good for them.

Not after one year during which Zion has taken a clear step forward.

I do understand being underwhelmed by Van Gundy's performance, but every time a GM fires a coach, he puts himself closer to the chopping block. Van Gundy's almost certainly safe for now.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#40 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 4, 2021 10:35 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:I really want to see a D'antoni-coached Portland.

Or Sacramento.

One thing's for sure: Someone should hire D'Antoni this off-season if he's interested in being head coach again.

Return to The General Board