Why are people so mad at the Lakers?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Re: Why are people so mad at the Lakers? 

Post#61 » by BoatsNZones » Tue May 4, 2021 7:13 pm

DoctorX wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
DoctorX wrote:
It's a dump for the average person but if you are rich it's probably the best place to live in the US for a young person which these athletes are.

Truth. Going to see the walk of fame requires a concealed permit in some spots. Lets hope no one is asleep on the star you wanna share to social media.

I have family that lives in the Inland Empire. Every time I have visited I feel like I'm visiting scorched earth. The place is just dark and depressing.

It’s become an absolute cesspool of a city, but yeah my original point is that ball players and the rest of the 1% can choose to ignore it.
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,510

Post#62 » by DoctorX » Tue May 4, 2021 7:15 pm

JN61 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
JN61 wrote:And faster they go back to irrelevancy the better.

The only way that happens is if they relocate back to Minnesota. They'd become the Wolves overnight with how they are managed.

Yes, they can be thankful where they are located. If there weren't Kings and Knicks they would be competing for the worst run franchise in last 10+ years. Heck they already might be 3rd on that list all things considering.

Lebron unfortunately opened up pandora's box for them. Prior to Lebron signing with them stars and superstars wouldn't sign with them because they had a **** roster and didn't believe it was possible to win a title with that type of roster. For example a star player like Lamarcus Aldridge wouldn't sign with them in '16 due to them having a terrible roster.

Lebron signing with the Lakers and then getting AD to force a trade to the Lakers just shows other players that you can easily create a title team with the Lakers. I see other superstar players attempting the Lebron route with the Lakers. They will sign with the Lakers in FA even if the roster is garbage because they know they can get another player to force a trade to the Lakers.
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#63 » by BoatsNZones » Tue May 4, 2021 7:23 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
Attractive cities don't need to rebuild. Sooner or later a star will want to go there. It's why the Nets and Clippers had no problems giving away all their picks.

Small markets have to grow their own food. Big markets just go to the grocery store and pick what they want.

To be fair, LA is effectively an overgrown dump at this point. But if you’re rich enough I suppose there’s still plenty of appeal to the city.

Every city has bad areas. But that obviously wouldn't matter to players since they can live wherever they want.

LA is “the bad area”. It has very small pockets of nice areas. That’s not normal.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,160

Post#64 » by og15 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:37 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:Maybe because that team is built purely by Klutch sports, who happens to be aligned with their Lebron James

- AD forced a trade there because Klutch
- Markieff Morris has history with Klutch (does it make sense his twin Marcus Morris is getting paid 15x what Markieff is because Markieff is on team klutch? There is something fishy there)
- Montrezl Harrell (Klutch) joined for below market value and hurt their biggest competitors out West
- Ben McLemore (Klutch) secures buyout and signs with Lakers for the min. addressing their biggest weakness.

There is so much conflicts of interest and dodgy maneuvering there that you can't help but hope this team loses. However in reality, the guys who stack the deck usually win.
The other ones, okay, I can understand, but McLemore wasn't a situation that required any special connections.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,991

Post#65 » by Wallace_Wallace » Tue May 4, 2021 7:39 pm

BoatsNZones wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:
To be fair, LA is effectively an overgrown dump at this point. But if you’re rich enough I suppose there’s still plenty of appeal to the city.

Every city has bad areas. But that obviously wouldn't matter to players since they can live wherever they want.

LA is “the bad area”. It has very small pockets of nice areas. That’s not normal.

Absolutely. Besides San Diego, most places in SoCal aren't that enjoyable besides food. Hotels are more expensive and small compare to other cities. But then again, players can live wherever they want to; I'm sure Brentwood or Beverly Hills is heavily protected by police and securities from every community.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,833

Post#66 » by nikster » Tue May 4, 2021 7:47 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:Maybe because that team is built purely by Klutch sports, who happens to be aligned with their Lebron James

- AD forced a trade there because Klutch
- Markieff Morris has history with Klutch (does it make sense his twin Marcus Morris is getting paid 15x what Markieff is because Markieff is on team klutch? There is something fishy there)
- Montrezl Harrell (Klutch) joined for below market value and hurt their biggest competitors out West
- Ben McLemore (Klutch) secures buyout and signs with Lakers for the min. addressing their biggest weakness.

There is so much conflicts of interest and dodgy maneuvering there that you can't help but hope this team loses. However in reality, the guys who stack the deck usually win.

Superstar lowers his trade value by forcing a trade to a specific franchise, big name Buyout players joins contender... You are a Nets fan right?

Pretty fishy that a player that got took a 3.6 million dollar salary to play for a terrible franchise is taking 2.4 mil a year later to play with a contender ….And why hes getting paid less than his brother who is playing way better than him? Good thing you're here to ask the hard hitting questions
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#67 » by Jedi32 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:02 pm

EArl wrote:because they win. end thread/

This is the real answer. All those other reasons are about as fake as wrestling. Bottom line the Lakers always find a way to win again.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#68 » by lamscott » Tue May 4, 2021 8:04 pm

Yoooo. Why you hating on LA all day... LA is a dump? Why you chillin in Hollywood or DTLA? Go out, see the world, be nice and absorb the sun and LA's success... Oh... If you are gonna go the people are moving out? Yes, please!! Move out. The homeless? Well if you were homeless... where would you go... sunshine and state assitance because they care? Sign me up.

As for the Fans..... Yah... Super obnoxious because the bandwagoners know nothing about the Lakers.

Real fan perspecitive, we use our location and reputation to get good players, we have never built a team from the ground up because that is not the philosophy, we sign your best players and you can't compete with the Fame and the sunshine.

2021 prediction, Lakers don't make out of the 2nd round, our team isn't cohesive enough, and too many individuals wanting their individual success with the Championship hangover begets not winning the chip this year. Its ok.
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,867

Post#69 » by Dick Tate » Tue May 4, 2021 8:04 pm

nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,833

Post#70 » by nikster » Tue May 4, 2021 8:11 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:Funny thing is seems like fans of other teams hate the Lakers more than the owners because if the Lakers have all these unfair advantages due to market size you would think the other owners would get together and do something about it. Unfortunately most of the other owners are gutless and scared of the Lakers

the owners generally care more about making money than parity or the spirit of competition
FrobeBryant
Senior
And1: 697

Post#71 » by FrobeBryant » Tue May 4, 2021 8:16 pm

Can’t ask haters why they hate. It’s like asking cows why they moo. They just do cause their own team sucks and so does their city. Its just LA envy, that’s why there’s a “Beat LA” chant at every visiting arena.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,688

Post#72 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue May 4, 2021 8:39 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:1) I'm from Boston
2) I cannot stand LeBron and his super teams.

Says the franchise that has had the most super teams. Get mad because he got with one and beat you when you were up 3-2, lol.

Im in Boston working today. Should have gone to the game the other night and rooted for Portland

If you don't know the difference between what Boston did and what LeBron has been doing for the past 11 years I'm not sure what to tell you.

PS if you're in Boston I recommend the chicken and rice guys or the falafel king. God how I miss those two restaurants working in Boston.
*Insert witty signature here.*
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#73 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue May 4, 2021 8:48 pm

FrobeBryant wrote:Can’t ask haters why they hate. It’s like asking cows why they moo. They just do cause their own team sucks and so does their city. Its just LA envy, that’s why there’s a “Beat LA” chant at every visiting arena.

Nah, it's just people hating that everything is rigged in Lakers' favor because the league profits the most if the Lakers and Lebron/Kobe win. But unfairly privileged people very often really try hard not to see that their privilege is unfair, they really believe it's justified, so it's not expected from Lakers fans to feel the way you feel.
lamscott
Analyst

Post#74 » by lamscott » Tue May 4, 2021 8:50 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

Absolutely. Besides San Diego, most places in SoCal aren't that enjoyable besides food. Hotels are more expensive and small compare to other cities. But then again, players can live wherever they want to; I'm sure Brentwood or Beverly Hills is heavily protected by police and securities from every community.

Where did you go my guy? You absolutely wrong, but I want to hear this.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,991

Post#75 » by Wallace_Wallace » Tue May 4, 2021 9:02 pm

lamscott wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:LA is “the bad area”. It has very small pockets of nice areas. That’s not normal.

I mainly go there visit my relatives. I'm Chinese, we mainly stay at around Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel. I've also went to downtown LA, Little Tokyo. Theme parks are way to packed for me (1 hour wait for a decent ride/venue).

Beach wise, I went to Venice beach, Long beach, Redondo beach (bomb seafood place in the pier), and Malibu beach. La Jolla and Coronado beach are nice, so I do like San Diego, one of my favorite cities to visit.

The food is really good, that's a good reason to visit California. I don't see myself living there though.
MagicMamba88
Senior
And1: 1,277

Post#76 » by MagicMamba88 » Tue May 4, 2021 10:26 pm

lamscott
Analyst

Post#77 » by lamscott » Wed May 5, 2021 12:45 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
lamscott wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:

I mainly go there visit my relatives. I'm Chinese, we mainly stay at around Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel. I've also went to downtown LA, Little Tokyo. Theme parks are way to packed for me (1 hour wait for a decent ride/venue).

Beach wise, I went to Venice beach, Long beach, Redondo beach (bomb seafood place in the pier), and Malibu beach. La Jolla and Coronado beach are nice, so I do like San Diego, one of my favorite cities to visit.

The food is really good, that's a good reason to visit California. I don't see myself living there though.

And where do you live?
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,175

Post#78 » by donnieme » Wed May 5, 2021 12:55 am

DoctorX wrote:
JN61 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
The only way that happens is if they relocate back to Minnesota. They'd become the Wolves overnight with how they are managed.

Yes, they can be thankful where they are located. If there weren't Kings and Knicks they would be competing for the worst run franchise in last 10+ years. Heck they already might be 3rd on that list all things considering.

Lebron unfortunately opened up pandora's box for them. Prior to Lebron signing with them stars and superstars wouldn't sign with them because they had a **** roster and didn't believe it was possible to win a title with that type of roster. For example a star player like Lamarcus Aldridge wouldn't sign with them in '16 due to them having a terrible roster.

Lebron signing with the Lakers and then getting AD to force a trade to the Lakers just shows other players that you can easily create a title team with the Lakers. I see other superstar players attempting the Lebron route with the Lakers. They will sign with the Lakers in FA even if the roster is garbage because they know they can get another player to force a trade to the Lakers.

Got news for you. The Lakers have been doing that with free agents since the 60s. Wilt, Kareem and Shaq all left their teams for the location. Lebron wasn't even the first of this generation. Once Magic joined their front office we saw a number of superstars tried to force trades to LA specifically. Paul George, Kawhi and someone else I'm forgetting. Awful GM but GOAT recruiter
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#79 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed May 5, 2021 1:54 am

because Lebron went there, orchestrated a trade to get a top 5-10 player in AD and teams bent over backwards to fill out the rest of their roster via trades, buyouts, etc. They conveniently played all the worst teams on their way to a title in the bubble. It's all so obvious and people are over it. The post Lebron NBA can't come soon enough. Sadly, he's likely to buy a team and get more help to win championships from the league than he did while a player so we really won't ever be rid of him.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,501

Post#80 » by DaPessimist » Wed May 5, 2021 2:30 am

Same reason people don't like the Celtics, or the Yankees, or the Patriots.

Return to The General Board