ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

PigsEatHam
Analyst
And1: 371

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#261 » by PigsEatHam » Tue May 4, 2021 1:43 pm

RookieStar wrote:Why do we continue to do this to ourselves? I mean how many times have we drafted an uber-athlete that smacks DPOY-level material yet waaaaay behind on offense/shooting hoping we can just teach that. Why not get those that are flashing and brimming with offense this time and hope we can develop or mask their defense?

Im taking about Barnes of course. When there are offensive-minded players available like Bouknight Keon and Moody, why do we pick the archetype again of Iwundu,JI,Bamba,Chuma,Frazier etc?

We did draft Cole last year, and it was apparently a close-call between him and RJ at that spot, so perhaps the front office is also coming around to your way of thinking: choosing offensively talented players who may not be fully developed on defense.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,204

Post#262 » by thelead » Tue May 4, 2021 1:48 pm

tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:What Jaden Springer did at his age is pretty impressive. I believe him and Kuminga are the youngest players in the draft. Kuminga didn't put up big stats, but his physique at that age is pretty impressive. By the time he's 21 he might be dominating the league.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

not trying to be rude or attack, legit question. What did Springer do that is impressive? 12 ppg in SEC, thats decent but not outstanding. 43% on is good, but he didnt even take 2 attempts a game. Trying to learn more about the players that might be available with the Bulls pick, just not seeing what is so super about Springer.

There is nothing super outside of the top 5. Springer just happens to have a complete, while not spectacular, offensive game.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#263 » by basketballRob » Tue May 4, 2021 1:50 pm

tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:What Jaden Springer did at his age is pretty impressive. I believe him and Kuminga are the youngest players in the draft. Kuminga didn't put up big stats, but his physique at that age is pretty impressive. By the time he's 21 he might be dominating the league.

not trying to be rude or attack, legit question. What did Springer do that is impressive? 12 ppg in SEC, thats decent but not outstanding. 43% on is good, but he didnt even take 2 attempts a game. Trying to learn more about the players that might be available with the Bulls pick, just not seeing what is so super about Springer.
He shot the ball well and is a really good defender. He won't be 19 until the end of September.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#264 » by tiderulz » Tue May 4, 2021 1:54 pm

basketballRob wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

He shot the ball well and is a really good defender. He won't be 19 until the end of September.

6'4 with a 6'6 wingspan, i hope he is strong because he is giving up length
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#265 » by basketballRob » Tue May 4, 2021 2:29 pm

tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
tiderulz wrote:not trying to be rude or attack, legit question. What did Springer do that is impressive? 12 ppg in SEC, thats decent but not outstanding. 43% on is good, but he didnt even take 2 attempts a game. Trying to learn more about the players that might be available with the Bulls pick, just not seeing what is so super about Springer.

6'4 with a 6'6 wingspan, i hope he is strong because he is giving up length
He seems pretty strong and it's possible that he grows based on his brother's height, and his cousin (Bembry).

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#266 » by Skin » Tue May 4, 2021 5:28 pm

Springer is lame. Low upside due to size and athleticism. G League talent.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#267 » by RookieStar » Tue May 4, 2021 8:11 pm

PigsEatHam wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Why do we continue to do this to ourselves? I mean how many times have we drafted an uber-athlete that smacks DPOY-level material yet waaaaay behind on offense/shooting hoping we can just teach that. Why not get those that are flashing and brimming with offense this time and hope we can develop or mask their defense?

Im taking about Barnes of course. When there are offensive-minded players available like Bouknight Keon and Moody, why do we pick the archetype again of Iwundu,JI,Bamba,Chuma,Frazier etc?

We did draft Cole last year, and it was apparently a close-call between him and RJ at that spot, so perhaps the front office is also coming around to your way of thinking: choosing offensively talented players who may not be fully developed on defense.

Hopefully. I mean, we did alright with our Cole pick and if it's true they were also seriously considering RJ.. then yes, offense beats defense in this era and I hope they take a good long look at others before considering Barnes.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#268 » by RookieStar » Tue May 4, 2021 8:15 pm

Springer.. the only issue I have with him is based on eye-test. If you are a combo-guard with below average-to-average height and wingspan, you better have elite athleticism to make up for it. Unfortunately he looks like a below-the-rim type of guard for that. No problem if you have CP3, Kidd , Kyrie like court vision and handles...again unfortunately he doesn't seem to have that.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#269 » by KillMonger » Tue May 4, 2021 10:48 pm

Alperen Sengun
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#270 » by RookieStar » Tue May 4, 2021 10:58 pm

KillMonger wrote:Alperen Sengun

This the 6'9 Center?
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,430

Post#271 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue May 4, 2021 11:35 pm

Honestly if we get Keon Johnson/Moody with Giddey, it wont be the worst thing. Trying to not be so disappointed lol
Stop playing Fultz
Play AB and Goga
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#272 » by KillMonger » Tue May 4, 2021 11:57 pm

RookieStar wrote:

This the 6'9 Center?

yes sir....although i'm not too sure about the height...i do think it's intriguing that he's 18 and doing so well among grown men....i'm a bit ignorant but i heard that the league he's playing in the level is pretty high right? I'm trying to get a gauge on his range, i'm thinking someone here should know a lot more about him and could give me a pretty good idea on his range....i hear 1st rounder but on the other side i look at some mock drafts and some of them have him second round...I'm thinking if he's a second rounder i wouldn't mind the draft-N-stash.....i'd rather that than us selling the pick again
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#273 » by tiderulz » Wed May 5, 2021 12:00 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:Honestly if we get Keon Johnson/Moody with Giddey, it wont be the worst thing. Trying to not be so disappointed lol

nothing personal against the kid, but i have less than zero interest in Giddey.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#274 » by RookieStar » Wed May 5, 2021 12:16 am

KillMonger wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

This the 6'9 Center?

yes sir....although i'm not too sure about the height...i do think it's intriguing that he's 18 and doing so well among grown men....i'm a big ignorant but i heard that the league he's playing in the level is pretty high right? I'm trying to get a gauge on his range, i'm thinking someone here should know a lot more about him and could give me a pretty good idea on his range....i hear 1st rounder but on the other side i look at some mock drafts and some of them have him second round...I'm thinking if he's a second rounder i wouldn't mind the draft-N-stash.....i'd rather that than us selling the pick again

Thats what non-NBA basketball fans say. "Supposedly" a top-notch league but I have no basis for comparison. They say he reminds then of D.Sabonis.. meaning lowpost footwork kind of guy and not relying on athelticism. I dunno how he can do that in the NBA where he will face up 7footers waaay stronger than him.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#275 » by KillMonger » Wed May 5, 2021 12:28 am

RookieStar wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
This the 6'9 Center?

yes sir....although i'm not too sure about the height...i do think it's intriguing that he's 18 and doing so well among grown men....i'm a big ignorant but i heard that the league he's playing in the level is pretty high right? I'm trying to get a gauge on his range, i'm thinking someone here should know a lot more about him and could give me a pretty good idea on his range....i hear 1st rounder but on the other side i look at some mock drafts and some of them have him second round...I'm thinking if he's a second rounder i wouldn't mind the draft-N-stash.....i'd rather that than us selling the pick again

Thats what non-NBA basketball fans say. "Supposedly" a top-notch league but I have no basis for comparison. They say he reminds then of D.Sabonis.. meaning lowpost footwork kind of guy and not relying on athelticism. I dunno how he can do that in the NBA where he will face up 7footers waaay stronger than him.

this guy could

JK....i totally get your concerns, that's why i'm trying to figure it out
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#276 » by RookieStar » Wed May 5, 2021 12:32 am

KillMonger wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
KillMonger wrote:yes sir....although i'm not too sure about the height...i do think it's intriguing that he's 18 and doing so well among grown men....i'm a big ignorant but i heard that the league he's playing in the level is pretty high right? I'm trying to get a gauge on his range, i'm thinking someone here should know a lot more about him and could give me a pretty good idea on his range....i hear 1st rounder but on the other side i look at some mock drafts and some of them have him second round...I'm thinking if he's a second rounder i wouldn't mind the draft-N-stash.....i'd rather that than us selling the pick again

this guy could

JK....i totally get your concerns, that's why i'm trying to figure it out

Hey AN!!! Man our 1st rounder lasted less than the 2nd rounder KOQ. That dude looked liked he wore Ronald Mcdonalds shoes... we had a poster here who was stanning him.

The guy was built for a PF but his game needed to be a C in the era of bigmen not now where its all smallball.

But regarding Segun... too risky taking him.in the lotto..
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#277 » by The Effect » Wed May 5, 2021 12:58 am

basketballRob wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Also, hes one of the more mature 19 year olds youll meet and is one of the best leaders in the draft and guy who is going to take charge of a team

Hes not exactly my choice for our top pick but i wouldnt be upset if we took him with the bulls pick or in a trade down
The Effect

Post#278 » by The Effect » Wed May 5, 2021 1:01 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:Honestly if we get Keon Johnson/Moody with Giddey, it wont be the worst thing. Trying to not be so disappointed lol

To say id be disappointed with that outcome after this disaster of a season and rebuild ahead would be a MASSIVE understatement

If we dont get a top 3 pick, i dont care what it would take, we need to trade up one of the 3 and get green. No one on the team is untouchable to me as no one is a cornerstone player
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#279 » by tiderulz » Wed May 5, 2021 1:04 am

The Effect wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
tiderulz wrote:not trying to be rude or attack, legit question. What did Springer do that is impressive? 12 ppg in SEC, thats decent but not outstanding. 43% on is good, but he didnt even take 2 attempts a game. Trying to learn more about the players that might be available with the Bulls pick, just not seeing what is so super about Springer.

Also, hes one of the more mature 19 year olds youll meet and is one of the best leaders in the draft and guy who is going to take charge of a team

Hes not exactly my choice for our top pick but i wouldnt be upset if we took him with the bulls pick or in a trade down

are you sure you are talking about the right person? Springer is 18, not 19. now, Keon Johnson is 19.
The Effect

Post#280 » by The Effect » Wed May 5, 2021 1:05 am

tiderulz wrote:
The Effect wrote:
basketballRob wrote:He shot the ball well and is a really good defender. He won't be 19 until the end of September.

are you sure you are talking about the right person? Springer is 18, not 19. now, Keon Johnson is 19.

Sorry, 18 year old (19 when the season starts)

Return to Orlando Magic