Mattise Thybulle has the highest DBPM in the league

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Stickmann
Freshman
And1: 61

Re: Mattise Thybulle has the highest DBPM in the league 

Post#21 » by Stickmann » Tue May 4, 2021 6:32 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Stickmann wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
It's better than DBPM...

honestly not really. DBPM shows what is shows, good boxscore numbers. Thybulle is a monster at getting steals/blocks so it's no wonder that he's so good at it. DRPM is just hogwash at this point, there's nothing there of value.

It still generally goes with the eye test on the best defenders. I'm sure if you find a raw RAPM you'll see similar metrics here. If anything RPM should be giving us a closer figure to DBPM than raw RAPM would do.

box score RAPTOR is what uses tracking data so that's what i think would correlate more with eye test. Thybulle is second in defensive EPM and that's pretty accurate i'd say.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,222

Post#22 » by UcanUwill » Tue May 4, 2021 6:36 pm

He is also first in steals per minute (2.8 steals per 36)
also 8th. in DRtg (103.5)

All defensive team level prospect playing on same team as Embiid and Simmons, crazy defensive potential that team has.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,035

Post#23 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:36 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Stickmann wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
It's better than DBPM...

honestly not really. DBPM shows what is shows, good boxscore numbers. Thybulle is a monster at getting steals/blocks so it's no wonder that he's so good at it. DRPM is just hogwash at this point, there's nothing there of value.

It still generally goes with the eye test on the best defenders. I'm sure if you find a raw RAPM you'll see similar metrics here. If anything RPM should be giving us a closer figure to DBPM than raw RAPM would do.

especially on the perimiter. Great defenders might get scored on, but they fatigue offensive players, force them into taking twos, and limit the amount of help thats needed, so the other guys dont get going, and they dont end up getting wide open 3 pointers. The how is also important. For example PJ tucker was very physical with durant, and although durant had 42 and you could say he didnt do anything against KD, on the final shot to tie the game, that physicality for a whole game arguably caused durant to catch the ball further out then he would like, influencing the ball to miss short. So,while, no Tucker didnt "lock up KD" the defense of he holiday and middleton outside prevented joe harris from getting involved. If you look at the box from that game against the bucks, compared to other teams, it was more kd and irving scoring, without the depth the nets fans rave about getting involved.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401307770

;ab_channel=NBADefense
1:16 for people who havent seen it. durant catches it waaaay out there and misses short.
Stickmann
Freshman

Post#24 » by Stickmann » Tue May 4, 2021 6:37 pm

Stickmann wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Stickmann wrote:

box score RAPTOR is what uses tracking data so that's what i think would correlate more with eye test. Thybulle is second in defensive EPM and that's pretty accurate i'd say.

He's also top 10 in D-Lebron (the PIPM replacement). I think it's fair to say thybulle is an elite defender, and just disregarding the stats, eye test wise he's awesome. What some **** espn stat that's been broken for years now says doesn't mean anything
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,201

Post#25 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:52 pm

Stickmann wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Stickmann wrote:

RAPTOR imo is actually what has screwed up RPM as they're using that data in RPM now and in both, it's just totally awful. They are placing far too much focus in their tracking models to on ball defense and not understanding the value that comes off ball.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#26 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:54 pm

Stickmann wrote:
Stickmann wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

He's also top 10 in D-Lebron (the PIPM replacement). I think it's fair to say thybulle is an elite defender, and just disregarding the stats, eye test wise he's awesome. What some **** espn stat that's been broken for years now says doesn't mean anything

I clearly stated he's a great defender...but him having a DBPM over 4 would imply he's an all time elite guy which is why I simply want to simmer the excitement.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#27 » by LloydFree » Tue May 4, 2021 6:56 pm

megalison wrote:How do Sixers fans feel about this guy? His path to becoming the perfect Embiid/Simmons complement is so clear... but he's regressed this year shooting the 3.

Crazy to think the Sixers could have the MVP, DPOY, three all-defensive guys and not make it out of the East.

His 3 point percentage is bad because he couldn't hit a shot in December + January, after coming back from an pre-season injury. His 3 point shooting has been ok since then, he just has to start getting more up

As far as how many 76ers fans feel about him': I'd say most 76ers feel he's most untouchable player on the roster outside of Embiid, Simmons and Harris. Maxey and picks can be had, but not Thybulle.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Stickmann
Freshman

Post#28 » by Stickmann » Tue May 4, 2021 7:01 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Stickmann wrote:
Stickmann wrote:

I clearly stated he's a great defender...but him having a DBPM over 4 would imply he's an all time elite guy which is why I simply want to simmer the excitement.

You used DRPM to say that “well he’s only average in this stat so I guess he’s a good defender”. You never stated he was “great” , we got receipts here. Besides what the DBPm says is he’s an all time great at accumulating defensive box score stats, that’s all. Sometimes that correlates to elite defense other times less so.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#29 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:02 pm

Stickmann wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Stickmann wrote:

You used DRPM to say that “well he’s only average in this stat so I guess he’s a good defender”. You never stated he was “great” , we got receipts here

I was making the point that reality lies between the two metrics. Good, great...same damn thing.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Post#30 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:05 pm

Jokic 6th best defender in the league according to DBPM.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#31 » by LloydFree » Tue May 4, 2021 7:14 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
kuclas wrote:
dkb9696 wrote:
I really wanted the Raptors to get him in a trade for Kyle Lowry. Modern day Tony Allen.

He was available in the trade. Except Toronto got greedy and wanted more. Dude has 2 more years left in a cheap contract. So I don’t know what Toronto was thinking trying to ask for more. It’s not like he’s an expiring.

Again, you have no idea what was offered. It's so weird that people insist they know.

I agree, and I doubt he was available.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,725

Post#32 » by MarcusBrody » Tue May 4, 2021 7:27 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:DBPM isn't some mysterious magic. Thybulle posts outrageous steal (leads the league in stl%) and block numbers (11th in the league % wise, and by far the highest mark for a non-center).

His defensive box score stats are the best in the league.

It's also a rate stat based on per 100 possession numbers, so the fact that he is coming off the bench and only playing 20 minutes per game probably hurts more than helps his DBPM.
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 167

Post#33 » by 9th Wonder » Tue May 4, 2021 7:30 pm

This guy is just so much fun to watch on defence. And he's made improvements this year -- notably in his man defence and in fouling jump shooters with less frequency.

If he can improve his three point shot even a little bit, he'll be a 30+ minute guy next season. Lots of other little areas for offensive growth too (cuts, using his athleticism, better/quicker decision making, hitting the offensive glass, etc).
Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#34 » by Dnt hate » Tue May 4, 2021 7:51 pm

LloydFree wrote:
megalison wrote:How do Sixers fans feel about this guy? His path to becoming the perfect Embiid/Simmons complement is so clear... but he's regressed this year shooting the 3.

Crazy to think the Sixers could have the MVP, DPOY, three all-defensive guys and not make it out of the East.

His 3 point percentage is bad because he couldn't hit a shot in December + January, after coming back from an pre-season injury. His 3 point shooting has been ok since then, he just has to start getting more up

As far as how many 76ers fans feel about him': I'd say most 76ers feel he's most untouchable player on the roster outside of Embiid, Simmons and Harris. Maxey and picks can be had, but not Thybulle.

He's more untouchable than anyone not named Embiid bro
knuckles862
Analyst
And1: 2,571

Post#35 » by knuckles862 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:32 pm

The kid is an absolute monster on defense. I believe they showed he has blocked 40 jumpshots which leads the league by a long shot. Ben himself even said that if thybulle played the same amount of minutes as him then thybulle would win DPOY. I don't even think players try to score on him 1 on 1 anymore alot of times they won't even dribble near him.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,688

Post#36 » by Clay Davis » Wed May 5, 2021 12:45 am

I'm curious how he'll look guarding crafty players like the players on the Nets who'll try and use his hands against him
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
GrindCityHustle
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#37 » by GrindCityHustle » Wed May 5, 2021 12:56 am

He is better defensively than Tony Allen but somehow worse offensively lol
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#38 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed May 5, 2021 1:05 am

Stickmann wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Stickmann wrote:
RPM is garbo ever since engelmann left. Yeah don't use it dude.

It's better than DBPM...

At this point RAPTOR > BPM > RPM...
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,474

Post#39 » by DaPessimist » Wed May 5, 2021 1:09 am

He's obviously a great defender, but I think we should take into consideration he's playing limited minutes and often against 2nd units.
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#40 » by BoatsNZones » Wed May 5, 2021 1:12 am

I'm not particularly concerned with his DRPM metrics or how that stat is viewed, he's without question the most impressive perimeter defender in the game currently. He has a knack for knowing exactly when to take chances and can just as easily stick with an offensive weapon like glue. He's incredible. I hate when he's on the court against Golden State.

Return to The General Board