The CP3 Thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,332

Re: The CP3 Thread 

Post#21 » by ShotCreator » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:24 pm

I wish he got this much attention when he was running halfcourt offense better than everybody except two guys(Curry, Harden), and he was playing better defense than those guys ever could simultaneously from 2014 to 2017.

Oh well. At least he’s getting some acclaim these past two years. Obviously too much with the MVP stuff but it does make up for it in some way.

I just don’t think most fans will even be able to truly grasp just how good he was in his prime. Levels and levels and levels above how he’s playing right now. If he was 28 again, he could probably rightfully win MVP over Jokic this year.
Swinging for the fences.
MO12msu
Bench Warmer
And1: 655

Post#22 » by MO12msu » Wed May 5, 2021 2:23 am

3 days shy of age 36 and he puts up this insane statline...

23pts/16ast/6reb/4stl/2blk/0tov, 50/67/100 shooting, led team in plus/minus at +20.

Point God
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Post#23 » by Bobbcats » Wed May 5, 2021 2:49 am

I wish he got this much attention when he was running halfcourt offense better than everybody except two guys(Curry, Harden), and he was playing better defense than those guys ever could simultaneously from 2014 to 2017.

How you feel about that now is how I felt about it in 2014 to 2017 compared to his 2007-2009 game. Clippers at least got a lot more attention than the Hornets. In both cases, he made people consider his teammates much better than they actually were and therefore he wasn't considered as good as he actually was. In retrospect I can't believe people thought the 2007-2008 were a contender. People quickly forgot that prior to joining the Hornets Chandler was considered a bust and Peja was considered washed up. Aside from them and West they didn't have any other even decent players and somehow that team was seen as not achieving what it could have. In 08-09 they barely even had Peja and Chandler who got injured and didn't play well when they weren't and they still made the playoffs. Again noone else on that team was even decent (none were in an NBA rotation the following year). With the Clippers for some reason Blake was the one getting MVP buzz.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#24 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed May 5, 2021 4:03 am

Bobbcats wrote:

How you feel about that now is how I felt about it in 2014 to 2017 compared to his 2007-2009 game. Clippers at least got a lot more attention than the Hornets. In both cases, he made people consider his teammates much better than they actually were and therefore he wasn't considered as good as he actually was. In retrospect I can't believe people thought the 2007-2008 were a contender. People quickly forgot that prior to joining the Hornets Chandler was considered a bust and Peja was considered washed up. Aside from them and West they didn't have any other even decent players and somehow that team was seen as not achieving what it could have. In 08-09 they barely even had Peja and Chandler who got injured and didn't play well when they weren't and they still made the playoffs. Again noone else on that team was even decent (none were in an NBA rotation the following year). With the Clippers for some reason Blake was the one getting MVP buzz.

Guy played for two of the worst franchises in the NBA - people greatly overlook how important the front office is. The Hornets and Clippers were absolute crap before Chris Paul joined them. Surprised CP3 didn't join the Timberwolves to keep up the holy trinity of bad NBA franchises.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,170

Post#25 » by dygaction » Wed May 5, 2021 4:26 am

Kawhi is playing like a role player, where is he? Time to step up!
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#26 » by DirtyDez » Wed May 5, 2021 5:16 am

Read on Twitter
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#27 » by NinjaSheppard » Wed May 5, 2021 3:01 pm

Watching the Suns this year and man Mikal Bridges is exactly the guy Chris Paul has been missing on all his good teams in the past. Just a perfect fit and one of the most underrated players in the league.

I'd hot take even and say he is the second best player on Phoenix this year. Booker has been kinda underwhelming but this is probably me being a contrarian and just liking Bridges a lot.
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by Bobbcats » Wed May 5, 2021 8:05 pm

Bridges is a really high IQ player. Knows how to guard the best players while avoiding fouls and on offense he's got a great eye for where to find openings without the ball. Seems to always get himself wide open for passes moving to the rim. Doesn't hurt that he never seems to miss from the corner
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#29 » by SK21209 » Wed May 5, 2021 8:22 pm

Bobbcats wrote:

Bonzi Wells and Jannergo Pargo had solid years off the bench for that 08 Hornets team but yeah, CP3 almost singlehandedly turned that Hornets team into a contender that season. I watched every second of that WCSF series against the Spurs and to that point I had never seen a more dominant performance by a point guard.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#30 » by Lost92Bricks » Thu May 20, 2021 5:32 am

I'm tired of him losing in the first round all the time. He needs to win this series. I don't care who it's against, all this losing is a bad look.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,152

Post#31 » by TroubleS0me » Thu May 20, 2021 10:36 pm

Lost92Bricks wrote:I'm tired of him losing in the first round all the time. He needs to win this series. I don't care who it's against, all this losing is a bad look.

its gonna tough man
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#32 » by TroubleS0me » Fri May 21, 2021 12:32 am

not in the top 3 in the MVP
ShotCreator
Analyst

Post#33 » by ShotCreator » Fri May 21, 2021 12:40 am

Lost92Bricks wrote:I'm tired of him losing in the first round all the time. He needs to win this series. I don't care who it's against, all this losing is a bad look.

It’s over. He’s lost a ton on both ends. I don’t see why you would be invested on this season to that level. Despite the hype.

His perfect years like 14-17 got wasted. It’s the reality.
Swinging for the fences.
MO12msu
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by MO12msu » Fri May 21, 2021 2:08 am

I'm hoping for the best but it's just a tough draw. Even in his best seasons he's had to see the equivalent of a 50 win team in the first round more often than not. Par for the course in the west.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#35 » by TroubleS0me » Fri May 21, 2021 7:44 pm

The Suns have the advantage @ the both PG & SG position which is the Lakers weakness...
theres some hope...
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#36 » by TroubleS0me » Fri May 21, 2021 7:45 pm

ShotCreator wrote:

It’s over. He’s lost a ton on both ends. I don’t see why you would be invested on this season to that level. Despite the hype.

its not over until he retires. he has time
ShotCreator
Analyst

Post#37 » by ShotCreator » Fri May 21, 2021 7:54 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:

His career? I mean yeah he’s not done playing until he stops but his prime is far, far, far gone. It’s a huge insult to what he used to be to even pretend it isn’t.
Swinging for the fences.
MO12msu
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by MO12msu » Fri May 21, 2021 9:10 pm

It’s a little reductive to say his prime is over. He’s about to make all-Nba 2nd team and led a team to the second best record in the league.

He’s not Mvp level anymore but this definitely counts as his late prime, similar to the 2013 versions of Duncan and KG. And that’s no insult.
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by Bobbcats » Sat May 22, 2021 4:38 pm

ShotCreator wrote:
TroubleS0me wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:It’s over. He’s lost a ton on both ends. I don’t see why you would be invested on this season to that level. Despite the hype.

His career? I mean yeah he’s not done playing until he stops but his prime is far, far, far gone. It’s a huge insult to what he used to be to even pretend it isn’t.

He's still all-NBA and the clear best player on his team. The dropoff from Clippers Paul to now isn't much bigger than the dropoff from Hornets Paul to Clippers Paul IMO.
ShotCreator
Analyst

Post#40 » by ShotCreator » Sat May 22, 2021 4:52 pm

Bobbcats wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:
TroubleS0me wrote:

He's still all-NBA and the clear best player on his team. The dropoff from Clippers Paul to now isn't much bigger than the dropoff from Hornets Paul to Clippers Paul IMO.

He’s not clearly better than either of Bridges or Booker.

This is not his team. You could see the dominance in LA. Literally every game, no matter the style or even his raw performance. He always controlled both ends in a way I really haven’t ever seen a player be able to do.

Only guys who really, really defend, or are really over the top good on offense dominated like him. But he somehow took this mid-high offensive volume, pesky defense route into just complete game control for about 6 years from 12-18.

He has no defensive motor anymore, and a real somehow overlooked part of his game in the past was just how scared defenses were of his love dribble game and any of his penetration.

He turned lob threats, cutters, and the threat of switches into what amounts to the same way a defense would react to a mega athlete, just lose-loss situations and predicaments his brain is already processing before they happen.

He has no body control to finish in traffic or draw fouls at all anymore and it’s made him predictable which really doesn’t allow him to dominate anymore offensively. His first step declined a lot in just 3 years but even that would still be enough if he could maintain balance while leaving the ground and stopping on a dime. But it’s hella diminished.

Defensively is really where I know he’s “done”, though. Foot speed of even 2018? Gone. I think his endurance is really hit too, which again sheds a light on another extremely underrated part of his game and its motor.

To play good defense at 6’0 for nearly 10 straight seasons is unheardof. And he did it while being top 5 offensively.

But now he can’t just zap and dash around the court at-will. He’s an active liability off-ball, and treading water on-ball.

The Suns dominance clearly isn’t dictating by him. All impact stats, and just watching shows it. He’s regressed into like, prime Deron Williams or Tony Parker level as a player.

Far, far, far from a guy who to me was an elite athlete, while maybe most skilled in the league for most of the 2010’s.
Swinging for the fences.

Return to Player Comparisons