ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#281 » by KillMonger » Wed May 5, 2021 1:18 am

RookieStar wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Thats what non-NBA basketball fans say. "Supposedly" a top-notch league but I have no basis for comparison. They say he reminds then of D.Sabonis.. meaning lowpost footwork kind of guy and not relying on athelticism. I dunno how he can do that in the NBA where he will face up 7footers waaay stronger than him.

this guy could

JK....i totally get your concerns, that's why i'm trying to figure it out

Hey AN!!! Man our 1st rounder lasted less than the 2nd rounder KOQ. That dude looked liked he wore Ronald Mcdonalds shoes... we had a poster here who was stanning him.

The guy was built for a PF but his game needed to be a C in the era of bigmen not now where its all smallball.

But regarding Segun... too risky taking him.in the lotto..

That's why i'm trying to find out if he's a secound rounder, if he's there at 34 then why not?
CPBalla2003 n da 863
Assistant Coach
And1: 277

Post#282 » by CPBalla2003 n da 863 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:40 am

Hollinger wrote a piece on Sengun and speculating he's 7-13 pick range. Worth the read if you got the athletic and he posts good video clips, Sengun is intriguing, to say the least.
@InthemindofCP on Twitter, Find Me
Thehardwoodnation.com
Balls In Our Court Podcast Link: http://inthemindofcp.podomatic.com
Orlando Magic
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,403

Post#283 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed May 5, 2021 7:04 am

Now that we probably miss out on the top 5, give me Giddey. He at least brings entertainment & flair to the team.
The high skill guys almost always exeeded expectations the last 4-5 drafts. His athleticm & shot is a concern but his ability to run the pick n roll & his passing are a great foundation & rare skillset. And i believe he can be a average to good shooter pretty soon.
If he becomes a LaMelo light wing version, i'm happy compared to what most of the other guys in that range project.

Dont want Sengun at all. I believe he can score 18-20 ppg on good eff. pretty soon in his career but i have no desire to watch the next non defense big as the focus of our offense for the next 7-8 years.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#284 » by tiderulz » Wed May 5, 2021 1:25 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:Now that we probably miss out on the top 5, give me Giddey. He at least brings entertainment & flair to the team.
The high skill guys almost always exeeded expectations the last 4-5 drafts. His athleticm & shot is a concern but his ability to run the pick n roll & his passing are a great foundation & rare skillset. And i believe he can be a average to good shooter pretty soon.
If he becomes a LaMelo light wing version, i'm happy compared to what most of the other guys in that range project.

Dont want Sengun at all. I believe he can score 18-20 ppg on good eff. pretty soon in his career but i have no desire to watch the next non defense big as the focus of our offense for the next 7-8 years.

I cant get on board with Giddey. cant shoot from the outside, bad FT shooter, turnover prone. and i question his athleticism vs NBA athletes. We have already seen bad shooting PG's in Fultz and Payton.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,403

Post#285 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed May 5, 2021 2:28 pm

tiderulz wrote:
GelbeWand09 wrote:Now that we probably miss out on the top 5, give me Giddey. He at least brings entertainment & flair to the team.

I cant get on board with Giddey. cant shoot from the outside, bad FT shooter, turnover prone. and i question his athleticism vs NBA athletes. We have already seen bad shooting PG's in Fultz and Payton.

1st i see him as a wing not a PG. 2nd his FT% is uptrending. In 6 of the last 7 games he shot at least 75%. Its his first real season at 18 years old. He is the youngest player in the draft with Kuminga.

I know he got big bust potential but i try my luck with his elite potential in the pick n roll, which is maybe the most important skill in the current NBA.
Most guys in that range just scream role player No.635 on our team. We can draft the Johnsons, Springer, Bouknight & co with the other pick in case in it conveys.
But i definitely draft him ahead of a one trick pony in Kispert or despite my fable for these kind of players, Barnes, who is redundant with Isaac.

But i can understand your doubts for sure.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#286 » by tiderulz » Wed May 5, 2021 2:49 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

1st i see him as a wing not a PG. 2nd his FT% is uptrending. In 6 of the last 7 games he shot at least 75%. Its his first real season at 18 years old. He is the youngest player in the draft with Kuminga.

I know he got big bust potential but i try my luck with his elite potential in the pick n roll, which is maybe the most important skill in the current NBA.
Most guys in that range just scream role player No.635 on our team. We can draft the Johnsons, Springer, Bouknight & co with the other pick in case in it conveys.
But i definitely draft him ahead of a one trick pony in Kispert or despite my fable for these kind of players, Barnes, who is redundant with Isaac.

But i can understand your doubts for sure.

the PnR potential is vital if you are PG and handling the ball a lot. I see him with below average athleticism getting torn up on the wing. People complained about Fournier and he had great shooting and decent ball handling. Unless Giddey learns to shoot, people wont respect his PnR because they will dare him to shoot, just like Fultz, Payton, etc.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#287 » by Skin » Thu May 6, 2021 8:04 am

As of May 5...

1. Jalen Green
2. Cade Cunningham
3. Jalen Suggs
4. Jonathan Kuminga
5. Keon Johnson
6. Evan Mobley
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#288 » by Knightro » Thu May 6, 2021 10:57 am

Read on Twitter

I agree with Schmitz that Franz is pretty much lock to be a back half of the lotto pick. Somewhere between 7-14, but where?.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#289 » by basketballRob » Thu May 6, 2021 12:18 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree with Schmitz that Franz is pretty much lock to be a back half of the lotto pick. Somewhere between 7-14, but where?.
He would be like having another Chuma on the floor. Both can play the 3-4.

We've seen Chuma guard two's before, so a lineup of Chuma, JI, and Wagner occasionally could be very good defensively.

I think Chuma's BPM was 11.2 and Wagner's was 11.9, and you know Weham uses these kind of analytics to make a pick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#290 » by drsd » Thu May 6, 2021 12:23 pm

CPBalla2003 n da 863 wrote:Hollinger wrote a piece on Sengun and speculating he's 7-13 pick range. Worth the read if you got the athletic and he posts good video clips, Sengun is intriguing, to say the least.

If I understand his bio correctly, Şengün has been a paid-basketball player since he was 12 years old.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#291 » by MagicMatic » Thu May 6, 2021 2:24 pm

Trading Vucevic for a younger, equally soft, version of Vucevic would be a very Magic thing to do.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#292 » by Xatticus » Thu May 6, 2021 2:59 pm

RookieStar wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
This the 6'9 Center?

yes sir....although i'm not too sure about the height...i do think it's intriguing that he's 18 and doing so well among grown men....i'm a big ignorant but i heard that the league he's playing in the level is pretty high right? I'm trying to get a gauge on his range, i'm thinking someone here should know a lot more about him and could give me a pretty good idea on his range....i hear 1st rounder but on the other side i look at some mock drafts and some of them have him second round...I'm thinking if he's a second rounder i wouldn't mind the draft-N-stash.....i'd rather that than us selling the pick again

Thats what non-NBA basketball fans say. "Supposedly" a top-notch league but I have no basis for comparison. They say he reminds then of D.Sabonis.. meaning lowpost footwork kind of guy and not relying on athelticism. I dunno how he can do that in the NBA where he will face up 7footers waaay stronger than him.

If someone just spouts off his general profile, you'd dismiss him without even giving a look, but he is well worth a good look.

Yes. He is around 6'9" and he plays exclusively as a five for his club team. They use him in the post and in drop coverage and he excels in that role. He leads the league in points scored. He is second in the league in rebounds. He is second in the league in blocks. He leads the league in eFG%. He is 2nd in the league in TS%. He is doing this as an 18 year old.

Yes. The Turkish league is a good league:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18470135/fran-fraschilla-rankings-world-top-12-basketball-leagues-nba

This can be a bit misleading though as foreign leagues can be very top heavy. He plays for a good club (Besiktas), but they aren't one of the league's premier clubs. Anadolu Efes is the top Turkish team and they just knocked out Real Madrid in the 1st round of the EuroLeague playoffs. They will face CSKA Moscow in the semifinals. Only the top two clubs from Turkey are in the EuroLeague, which is essentially the Champion's League of basketball. There are other international competitions for lower tiered teams, of which I believe Besiktas played in the third tier (FIBA Europe Cup)? Maybe someone that follows European basketball could tell you more. Anyway, he has played well in every competition and has even broken into the senior national team.

Besiktas started the season 0-6 in the Turkish Super League, but they are since 18-5. Sengun is averaging 19.2 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.3 spg, and 1.7 bpg with a TS% of .708. And keep in mind, there are far fewer possessions per game in European basketball games than there are in the NBA. 18-year-olds just don't do this.

He rubs, bangs, and grinds on opponents all game long. He isn't really ornery, but he might as well be. He annoys his opponents with his physicality. He isn't a great athlete, but he is mobile. He doesn't really shoot right now, but it should be a skill he has little problems developing as he takes and makes a lot of free throws. He's a very skilled low-post player. He has an array of moves. He's poised. He can pick out a pass. He can take someone down into the post and punish them.

The issue is going to be his versatility. If he can't share the floor with other bigs, then his value diminishes. I suspect he will be able to, though that hasn't been asked of him at all up to this point. I likened him to Sabonis because I think he is going to excel in whatever role he carves out, even if that isn't as a conventional five. Rony Seikaly is another possible comparison.

"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#293 » by Xatticus » Thu May 6, 2021 3:04 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Trading Vucevic for a younger, equally soft, version of Vucevic would be a very Magic thing to do.

If you are referring to Sengun, he is definitely not soft.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#294 » by jonbob17 » Thu May 6, 2021 3:55 pm

[streamable][/streamable]
MagicMatic wrote:Trading Vucevic for a younger, equally soft, version of Vucevic would be a very Magic thing to do.

WCJ?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#295 » by Knightro » Thu May 6, 2021 4:02 pm

I really like Sengun, but you just can't pick him unless you're immediately ready to move on from WCJ or Bamba or both.

If they're willing to make more trades to balance things out, so be it.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#296 » by jonbob17 » Thu May 6, 2021 4:09 pm

Just reading the Vecenie mock draft. Ziaire Williams going at 17, I still have him a lot higher, i guess he is a huge question mark. I don't know if we have the right assets, but I wouldn't mind moving into the mid first with some of the future draft capital we have and taking a swing on him.

We could go super young:
1. whoever is there
2. Moody or Mitchell (not young)
trade for 15ish: Ziaire
pick 32ish: BJ Boston

Throw the dice, and hope you hit, get as many wings as you can. Super young next year, probably means another decent lotto pick next season, and some of the guys are going to hit, and hopefully hit big. Maybe put Boston and Williams in the G league.

If Moody or Mitchell aren't there at the Chicago pick, maybe we trade back for Ziaire, I don't really like anybody that much after those two, and I am not 100% on mitchell.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#297 » by drsd » Thu May 6, 2021 7:50 pm

CPBalla2003 n da 863 wrote:Hollinger wrote a piece on Sengun and speculating he's 7-13 pick range. Worth the read if you got the athletic and he posts good video clips, Sengun is intriguing, to say the least.

Orlando needs a 3rd string C next year. But I see that more as the high SRP. If Şengün slides that low, then a hard yes on him for selection.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#298 » by basketballRob » Thu May 6, 2021 8:08 pm

drsd wrote:

Orlando needs a 3rd string C next year. But I see that more as the high SRP. If Şengün slides that low, then a hard yes on him for selection.

Mo Wagner can play 3rd string center.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#299 » by Bensational » Thu May 6, 2021 8:24 pm

I hadn’t watched any Sengun. Just checked some highlights and his offense looks incredible. His footwork in the post is phenomenal, his patience and timing to see and create pockets for passes or up and unders is elite for his age, and he’s got a face up game and solid handle.

He looks like the sort of guy who just knows how to play and gets the game, like Jokic.

If we took him I’d move WCJ and keep Bamba for next season, at least until the trade deadline.

Where is he expected to be drafted on average?
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#300 » by zaymon » Thu May 6, 2021 8:44 pm

Bensational wrote:I hadn’t watched any Sengun. Just checked some highlights and his offense looks incredible. His footwork in the post is phenomenal, his patience and timing to see and create pockets for passes or up and unders is elite for his age, and he’s got a face up game and solid handle.

He looks like the sort of guy who just knows how to play and gets the game, like Jokic.

If we took him I’d move WCJ and keep Bamba for next season, at least until the trade deadline.

Where is he expected to be drafted on average?

6-14? He will be good, his rolls are hard but our front office usually doesnt draft big guys who are limited on offense. If we draft him i think Bamba is gone, hell he is propably gone regardless.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !

Return to Orlando Magic