ImageImageImageImageImage

Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#81 » by doclinkin » Sun May 2, 2021 5:21 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Question: If we are 9th or 10th are we still in the lottery? How does that work?

A team that starts the play in games and makes the playoffs becomes the 8th seed. The others get bumped back. The lottery odds for the 9th and 10th teams are really cruddy though. We would have like an 11% chance of a top 4 pick if the season ended right now. It drops off incrementally as we win. If we finished as the 9th seed after the post season starts we would have a 2.4% chance to jump into the top 4.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#82 » by verbal8 » Sun May 2, 2021 5:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Question: If we are 9th or 10th are we still in the lottery? How does that work?

I haven't seen a definitive answer on that.

I don't think the play-in is considered play-offs - I think winning through the play-ins would mean leaving the lottery and the team missing the play-offs would be get a lottery seed/odds.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#83 » by WallToWall » Sun May 2, 2021 6:31 pm

Magic number is now 6 wins, with 8 games to go, for the 10th spot.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,603

Post#84 » by pancakes3 » Sun May 2, 2021 6:53 pm

pancakes3 wrote:i bought tickets for Wiz/Pacers on May 3 and i am PUMPED.

the uva fan in me is sad that brogdon pulled his hammy and is doubtful for tomorrow's game but the wiz fan wants to get that dub.

also very excited to see Gafford in person. he had a heck of an April and reminds me of when Jarett Allen broke out 2-3 seasons ago.
Bullets -> Wizards
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#85 » by doclinkin » Sun May 2, 2021 7:29 pm

verbal8 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I haven't seen a definitive answer on that.

I don't think the play-in is considered play-offs - I think winning through the play-ins would mean leaving the lottery and the team missing the play-offs would be get a lottery seed/odds.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

This is correct.
WallToWall
Veteran

Post#86 » by WallToWall » Tue May 4, 2021 4:47 am

Magic number is 5 wins with 7 games to go. Chicago lost, and Toronto won, so that puts just Toronto in 12th spot behind us. We are a half game behind the pacers for 9th, and one and a half games behind Hornets in 8th.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#87 » by FAH1223 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:42 pm

9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#88 » by 9 and 20 » Wed May 5, 2021 4:01 am

I want the Celtics to end up the 7 or 8 seed. We still owe them for that bullcrap loss earlier this year.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 236

Post#89 » by gesa2 » Wed May 5, 2021 11:33 am

Is it bad that I’m seeing Nate Bjorken in the news and quietly celebrating?
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#90 » by queridiculo » Wed May 5, 2021 12:40 pm

I am really curious what the Wizards plan on doing to address their gaping hole at small forward.

Assuming the Wizards win out and face off against the Sixers, I just don't see how they can reasonably expect to keep starting Westbrook, Beal and Neto.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#91 » by nate33 » Wed May 5, 2021 12:47 pm

The Raptors lose a close one on the road to the Clippers.

The Wizards are now up 3.5 games above the 11th seed.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#92 » by nate33 » Wed May 5, 2021 12:52 pm

queridiculo wrote:I am really curious what the Wizards plan on doing to address their gaping hole at small forward.

Assuming the Wizards win out and face off against the Sixers, I just don't see how they can reasonably expect to keep starting Westbrook, Beal and Neto.

There just isn't much they can do. I think they're just going to hope that Westbrook or Beal can guard small forwards. Obviously, we will see some of Bertans at SF but they won't start him. I don't think they'll have much confidence in Hutchison, particularly if he bricks his first couple of shots.

I'm a little surprised that Mathews has fallen out of the rotation. I guess they think that even though he is taller than Neto, he's not really any better defensively. They're rather just have Beal/Westbrook guarding their small forward with Neto on their PG, instead of having Mathews guarding their small forward.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,879

Post#93 » by Frichuela » Wed May 5, 2021 1:30 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:I am really curious what the Wizards plan on doing to address their gaping hole at small forward.

There just isn't much they can do. I think they're just going to hope that Westbrook or Beal can guard small forwards. Obviously, we will see some of Bertans at SF but they won't start him. I don't think they'll have much confidence in Hutchison, particularly if he bricks his first couple of shots.

I'm a little surprised that Mathews has fallen out of the rotation. I guess they think that even though he is taller than Neto, he's not really any better defensively. They're rather just have Beal/Westbrook guarding their small forward with Neto on their PG, instead of having Mathews guarding their small forward.

Agreed. A sad state of affairs. We could be annihilated by the Sixers size if we continue to start Neto next to Beal and Russ. Let's pray Hutchison has a miraculous stretch of good shooting in the final 7 games of the regular season.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#94 » by payitforward » Wed May 5, 2021 2:05 pm

nate33 wrote:

Over the last few monts, for whatever reasons, Mathews has rarely seen the floor in lineups where he has much opportunity to do the thing he does best. He gets very few shots, & increasingly the shots he does get are last-second, last resort attempts.

As a result, his numbers have fallen. Now... we are winning, so it's hard to worry too much about him. But, I put this on Brooks all the same. & it reminds me distinctly of what his "coaching" did to Troy Brown.

On the assumption that Brooks will be gone next year & that Mathews will be with us, I'm optimistic that this will be a short-term problem.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#95 » by dobrojim » Wed May 5, 2021 2:14 pm

Gooden (can he be taken seriously?) was going off during games a month or two
ago about how Mathews was going to get paid. If true, I suspect that can't happen here.
I'm not sure Brooks gets fired either.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#96 » by dckingsfan » Wed May 5, 2021 9:27 pm

nate33 wrote:The Raptors lose a close one on the road to the Clippers.

The Wizards are now up 3.5 games above the 11th seed.

Fivethiryeight has the Raptors finishing with 30 wins and us with 33.

I think it is over unless we have a bunch of injuries...
WallToWall
Veteran

Post#97 » by WallToWall » Thu May 6, 2021 3:19 pm

Magic number still at 4, with 6 games left to play, for the 10th spot. There is a good chance that we get the 9th spot as we are, at the moment, a half game behind the Pacers.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#98 » by nate33 » Fri May 7, 2021 2:53 am

Magic number is now 2. Over the remaining 5 games, the total Wizards wins plus Toronto losses must be 2 or more for us to stay ahead of them for the 10th seed.

The magic number for Chicago is 3, but they have 6 games to play (giving them one extra opportunity to accumulate a loss).

We are a half-game behind Indiana and play them Saturday. They have 6 games to go, including us, CLE, PHI, MIL, LAL, TOR.

We are 1.5 games behind Charlotte. They still have to play ORL, NOP, DEN, LAC, NYK and WAS

We still have to play IND, ATL, ATL, CLE, CHA
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#99 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 7, 2021 3:02 am

nate33 wrote:Magic number is now 2. Over the remaining 5 games, the total Wizards wins plus Toronto losses must be 2 or more for us to stay ahead of them for the 10th seed.

The magic number for Chicago is 3, but they have 6 games to play (giving them one extra opportunity to accumulate a loss).

We are a half-game behind Indiana and play them Saturday. They have 6 games to go, including us, CLE, PHI, MIL, LAL, TOR.

We are 1.5 games behind Charlotte. They still have to play ORL, NOP, DEN, LAC, NYK and WAS

So, are we thinking that 9th gives us the best odds and still keeps us in the lottery? Funny thinking, I know :oops:

FiveThirtyEight
Hornets - 35
Pacers - 34
Wizards - 33
Raptors - 30
Bulls - 29
Doug_Blew
Junior
And1: 313

Post#100 » by Doug_Blew » Fri May 7, 2021 3:46 am

nate33 wrote:Magic number is now 2. Over the remaining 5 games, the total Wizards wins plus Toronto losses must be 2 or more for us to stay ahead of them for the 10th seed.

Charlotte has 34 losses and the tie breaker. We have 36 losses. I think they'd have to lose 3 more games then us in order to overtake them. Odds dont seem as good as when I saw the 1.5 games back.

Return to Washington Wizards