Woj: Bjorkgren on the hot seat

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Re: Woj: Bjorkgren on the hot seat 

Post#61 » by Tom White » Fri May 7, 2021 2:47 pm

Wizop wrote:I always felt Bird fired Isiah after one phone call because Isiah took no responsibility for the prior year's issues even though he was clearly learning how to coach.

As I remember, that call took place while Isiah was travelling with a Larry Brown (I think) team. He was doing that to try to learn from one of the best. Bird wanted him to return immediately, and Isiah didn't want to do that.

That was always such a weird thing to me. Frankly, I thought from the day Bird came onboard, Isiah was going to be fired. There was a lot of dislike towards Isiah from Bird. Or put more honestly, Bird hated Isiah. It was very obvious.

One odd thing was, Isiah did not inherit the team he thought he would have when hired due to retirements, trades, etc. But the team improved its record over the time he was here. If you remember, he was the Eastern Conference All-Star coach because his team had the best record in the conference at the time.

It was also interesting that under Bird's hand picked coach (Carlisle) the team's record went down over his tenure, but Bird was happy with him until the end. That is not a knock on Rick, as he had to deal with a bunch of knuckleheads during his time here. Talented knuckleheads, but knuckleheads none the less.

I also remember Carlisle's last press conference when it was announced he was leaving. He looked and sounded like a man who had just had the weight of the world lifted off his shoulders. You could tell he was relieved of a huge burden.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,276

Post#62 » by boomershadow » Fri May 7, 2021 4:01 pm

Lots of lead assistants of championship winners get head coaching jobs. The Colts have one of those right now. It's true that things look real bad right now, but that isn't an indictment of the Bjorkgren hire imho. Sometimes coaches male that jump from assistant to lead so seamlessly, you look back and think there was never any doubt it would work. Sometimes it doesn't.

When we hired Vogel full time, we made him choose an assistant with lots of experience to help him make the jump to full time head coach. First Shaw, then McMillan. I really think Bjork could have used a guy like that to rely on and to be a voice with some gravitas with the players when the losing started. Add to that, this locker room really doesn't have the Thad Young or KOQ type vet leadership presence.

If the Pacers do go in another direction this offseason, I expect someone with more experience and not another first timer.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#63 » by Wizop » Fri May 7, 2021 4:03 pm

I'm going to repeat something I wrote a while ago. It feels like both Nurse and Bjorkgren were better coaches when the other was on their team.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,276

Post#64 » by boomershadow » Fri May 7, 2021 4:09 pm

Wizop wrote:I'm going to repeat something I wrote a while ago. It feels like both Nurse and Bjorkgren were better coaches when the other was on their team.

They are a team. No doubt.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#65 » by pacers33granger » Fri May 7, 2021 9:41 pm

boomershadow wrote:
When we hired Vogel full time, we made him choose an assistant with lots of experience to help him make the jump to full time head coach. First Shaw, then McMillan. I really think Bjork could have used a guy like that to rely on and to be a voice with some gravitas with the players when the losing started.

I think the assumption going in was that this would be Bayno. He has a good amount of experience and already knew the team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#66 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 7, 2021 10:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#67 » by Topofthekey » Fri May 7, 2021 10:40 pm

Well, what's certain is that Pacers offense HAS improved a lot since Bjorkgren took over

The defense is the issue. And Brjorkgren's tight rotation

Otherwise it's mostly just bad luck with injuries and the Oladipo situation

I think KP should make some improvements to the roster this off-season, and Bjorkgren should hire better assistants, and then see what happens then

But if they really want to replace Bjorkgren with a more established coach like MDA, I suppose that's fine too

But regardless whether it's Bjorkgren or MDA or someone else being the coach next season, improvements have to be made to the roster this off-season. I'd be very disappointed if KP did nothing other than re-signing TJ/Doug
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#68 » by pacers33granger » Fri May 7, 2021 10:45 pm

Agree on the offense getting better. It makes you wonder if it could have worked out if we just kept Burke. Maybe it's for the best that Nate didn't micromanage him out like he may have with Bayno.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#69 » by Wizop » Sat May 8, 2021 12:25 am

Adding Warren, Brissett, and a frp could make a big difference

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#70 » by Pacers Forever » Sat May 8, 2021 5:36 am

Wizop wrote:Adding Warren, Brissett, and a frp could make a big difference

Sent from my phone.

Adding a healthy Warren will make a huge difference if he strokes it like he was in the bubble.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizop » Sat May 8, 2021 1:41 pm

If you subscribe to theAthletic, Caitlin is on their NBA podcast talking Pacers.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 8, 2021 2:02 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:Adding Warren, Brissett, and a frp could make a big difference

Sent from my phone.

Adding a healthy Warren will make a huge difference if he strokes it like he was in the bubble.

Heck, even if he just plays like he did pre-bubble, thatā€™s a huge upgrade in the lineup from Justin. Think of it as Warren replacing Lamb/Aaron Holidayā€™s minutes this year. Thatā€™s a huge upgrade. And it allows Justin to slide back to the 6th man type role off the bench, where heā€™s absolutely returned to form.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 8, 2021 10:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM

Post#74 » by Wizop » Sun May 16, 2021 7:41 pm

In today's postgame TJ sgain defended Bjorkgren saying reports were not true and -
Read on Twitter
?s=19
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun May 16, 2021 8:49 pm

Wizop wrote:In today's postgame TJ sgain defended Bjorkgren saying reports were not true and -
Read on Twitter
?s=19

And JMichael also pointed out that TJ is the only Pacer to talk publicly that way, though theyā€™ve all been asked the same question McConnell was.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#76 » by Wizop » Sun May 16, 2021 9:40 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:And JMichael also pointed out that TJ is the only Pacer to talk publicly that way, though theyā€™ve all been asked the same question McConnell was.

TJ says other players agree with him. That leaves open the question whether they don't want to get in an argument with TJ by disagreeing or just want to keep trouble in house.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun May 16, 2021 9:47 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:And JMichael also pointed out that TJ is the only Pacer to talk publicly that way, though theyā€™ve all been asked the same question McConnell was.

TJ says other players agree with him. That leaves open the question whether they don't want to get in an argument with TJ by disagreeing or just want to keep trouble in house.

Sent from my phone.

Yup. Again, remember, TJ is a coachā€™s son, too, so heā€™s going to have some personal feelings in terms of coaches.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#78 » by Wizop » Mon May 17, 2021 1:06 pm

From my friend in Toronto:

The word is that the Bjorkgren haters are generally spouting sour grapes, not that the team itself is doing that. It's why the Raptors do NOT think Bjorkgren is a candidate to return.

I've asked him who he thinks the haters are as it isn't clear to me who is spouting or why.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#79 » by Wizop » Tue May 18, 2021 6:25 pm

JMichael joins Dustin Depirak's podcast and talks Bjorkgren

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-317/id1531496901?i=1000521645549
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 18, 2021 9:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Indiana Pacers