ImageImageImageImageImage

This summer is going to be the most important of Myers' career.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Re: This summer is going to be the most important of Myers' career. 

Post#61 » by and1GS » Tue May 4, 2021 10:40 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:One thing I do love about Poole's potential....his ability to get open on his own. He's got very good handles at his age and if he can every raise his IQ and shooting percentages closer to 39% from 3....ouch....

I agree. I don't know if the stats hold it up, but he seems to hit set shots and off the dribble shots at the same clip. If he can hold steady on the off dribble/re locate numbers, then significantly up his set shots, then he's something special.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#62 » by wco81 » Tue May 4, 2021 10:49 pm

They try to run the same off screen plays for him that they run for Klay, catch and rise as he comes off the screen.

Poole doesn't hit many of those.

Often they're not open so Klay's extra length helps him get those shots and he rarely has to adjust his motion.

I think he might do better where he sits in the corner or the wing and wait for someone to kick it to him and he doesn't have to move, except do the occasional escape dribble to the left or right.

Catching the ball while moving and rising doesn't seem to be his forte, at least not yet.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,106

Post#63 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue May 4, 2021 11:04 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Not a Poole thread but...
What evidence suggests that Poole will be any better next year if he hasn't figured it out yet? I don't need a guy that just as likely goes 1-7 as likely as he has a 5-10 game.

I'll give you 2: his age, his production month by month.

An example: CJ McCollum's first years.

Okay....I bit. CJ was 10% better from 3 in year 1 and 5% better in year 2 from 3. I guess you could make an argument that Poole was so bad in year 1 that being a 34% in year two is improvement?
Not sure the comparison helps Poole's case. CJ was clearly a much better shooter immediately.

Poole
1s year MP 22, 9 pts, 33%, 27% from 3
2nd year - MP 18, 10 pts, 41%, 34% from 3

CJ
1s year - MP 12, 5 pts, 40%, 37% from 3
2nd year - MP 15, 6 pts, 43%, 39% from 3

Not disagreeing with it you, but merely adding to the discussion: Poole came to the NBA much younger than CJ, right?

Also, he was so unplayable in his rookie year, IMO, that anything that brought him to slightly league-average could be considered a huge improvement.

I mean, I thought Poole was going down the same path as Smiley's. He was BAD.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#64 » by Impuniti » Wed May 5, 2021 12:13 am

ILOVEIT wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Not a Poole thread but...
What evidence suggests that Poole will be any better next year if he hasn't figured it out yet? I don't need a guy that just as likely goes 1-7 as likely as he has a 5-10 game.

Okay....I bit. CJ was 10% better from 3 in year 1 and 5% better in year 2 from 3. I guess you could make an argument that Poole was so bad in year 1 that being a 34% in year two is improvement?
Not sure the comparison helps Poole's case. CJ was clearly a much better shooter immediately.

Poole

CJ

Those second year numbers aren't too far off though.
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#65 » by Kuya » Wed May 5, 2021 2:39 am

Despite absence of Klay, he wasted a year of Steph's prime with this roster he's built
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#66 » by ILOVEIT » Wed May 5, 2021 3:05 am

Impuniti wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

Poole

CJ

Those second year numbers aren't too far off though.

lol...well what matters ultimately is what he does on the floor. Again...tonight...Pels. He sucked. 33% from 2's...28% from 3...And the Warriors needed something from SOMEONE so badly.

Anyway...love to have him succeed. But for now he's a young guy with a green light that continues to chuck and take silly shots like he's Curry.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,334

Post#67 » by migya » Thu May 6, 2021 11:46 am

The Miami Heat aren't contenders so maybe they'd trade Butler for Wiggins, Minn lottery pick and Pascall. Butler is valuable but is wasted on the Heat but on the Warriors he'd be at his best.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#68 » by and1GS » Fri May 7, 2021 12:18 am

That is actually very interesting. I don't think Miami would do it, but we sure should.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#69 » by Onus » Fri May 7, 2021 1:37 am

The 2nd unit could really use some passers/playmakers. Everything is essentially create for your self
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#70 » by Impuniti » Fri May 7, 2021 6:25 am

Onus wrote:The 2nd unit could really use some passers/playmakers. Everything is essentially create for your self

1. 3rd playmaker
2. Quality 3&D shooter
3. A big that can either play like Bog or Loon.

For me, the most important in regards to what's needed.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#71 » by ILOVEIT » Fri May 7, 2021 5:04 pm

Impuniti wrote:
Onus wrote:The 2nd unit could really use some passers/playmakers. Everything is essentially create for your self

1. 3rd playmaker
2. Quality 3&D shooter
3. A big that can either play like Bog or Loon.

For me, the most important in regards to what's needed.

That's about right. Imagine how much better Warriors would be if they had a legit vet like Rondo (not a huge fan but you get the point) to run the offense for the second unit. Right now we have to up by 5 and hope we aren't down by 10 when starters come back in.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#72 » by azwfan » Sat May 8, 2021 12:41 am

migya wrote:The Miami Heat aren't contenders so maybe they'd trade Butler for Wiggins, Minn lottery pick and Pascall. Butler is valuable but is wasted on the Heat but on the Warriors he'd be at his best.

Disagree.

What Butler really likes about Miami is the high amount of structure and discipline they play, practice, and conduct their organization with. He's in his best situation in Miami, and would not thrive in GSW (since we're like the opposite of that).

Regardless he would be great for us cause even if he's not at his best he'd be a big upgrade.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#73 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 8, 2021 12:57 am

Which is why Poole's development as our 2nd unit playmaker has been so important and impressive. I wish he would improve as a shotmaker because that's what we're really missing most of all(other than rebounding). Klay returning will make a huge difference but the lack of sheer offensive talent is the core problem.

We've only had one draft pick higher than the late 20s for years and it's depressed our talent pool. I have hopes for Wiseman but we desperately need a talented wing with size and length and a suite of guard skills. You don't get that outside the lottery very often.

Wigs has been great but it seems like he's at his ceiling and that's as a tertiary scorer.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#74 » by and1GS » Mon May 10, 2021 12:10 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:

Which is why Poole's development as our 2nd unit playmaker has been so important and impressive. I wish he would improve as a shotmaker because that's what we're really missing most of all(other than rebounding). Klay returning will make a huge difference but the lack of sheer offensive talent is the core problem.

We've only had one draft pick higher than the late 20s for years and it's depressed our talent pool. I have hopes for Wiseman but we desperately need a talented wing with size and length and a suite of guard skills. You don't get that outside the lottery very often.

Wigs has been great but it seems like he's at his ceiling and that's as a tertiary scorer.

I'm with ya 100% and to be fair, Wiggins as a tertiary scorer is exactly what he'd be with Klay back. If Wise or Poole makes a leap, maybe the 3 of them rotate as the third scorer throughout the year.

I'm also with Onus that the 2nd unit is dilapidated. Assuming Wiseman slides into the starting lineup, in the context of building a contender our 6-10 (guys who will likely get PT on a nightly basis...or elevate their role in case of injury) are currently:
Poole - IMO closer to a 7-8 man right now
JTA - IMO 7-10 range
Paschal - Somewhere within the 8-11 man range
Looney - 8-11 range
Bazemore - Human foul machine's deal is up, but would be a nice 9-11 man for us
Oubre - **** if I know. Could be anywhere 6-11 based on the night.
Lee/Manion - 10-12 men
Smailagic/Mulder - 12th at best

That's just based on what I've seen, idk if the stats hold up. That basically tells me we have a massive gap from 6-9 (nice) on the roster. As I've said before, I think it's asking a lot to tell two rookies to be contender worthy depth. I'm hoping we trade the lesser pick for a more veteran 6th man (Josh Hart or Larry Nance would be great) or bundle the picks together for a higher pick. Then use full MLE to sign a 7-8 range bench guy. Trouble is, I think that's a low salary figure to get someone that valuable.

We already have Jessup coming in to hopefully kill the **** sandwich '3 and nothing' duo of Lee/Mulder and while I'd be OK rolling the dice and keeping all our picks, if the goal is win now that might not be the best move.

GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#75 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:28 pm

and1GS wrote:snip

Some of these guys are not coming back next season.

Plus, you have to add Klay to the list too. If you have him on the roster and playing, the pecking order for the rest goes down a notch.

Also, you might add Jessup and potentially 2 rookies to the mix as well. Same as above.

By "adjusting" the pecking order, someone who might be our, let's say, 8th best player on the rotation might be our 11th best, so in theory the quality of play from the roster, top to bottom, will increase over time.

I'd like to say again, our core is fine with me. Our top 4 players for next season (Curry, Klay, Green, Wiggins) are a very nice core, and can compete with anyone IMHO.

The problem is our supporting players are either a) bad, or b) not promising, despite 1 or 2 exceptions.

That can change next season, if we do our due homework.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#76 » by and1GS » Mon May 10, 2021 5:42 pm

I don't know exactly what you're referring to as my quote post just says 'snip,' but as I noted even with Klay pushing others to the bench our 2nd unit is bad. Expecting 3 rookies to shore up a contender-worthy rotation is risky and asking a lot of them. IMO we either accept this is a longer term project and develop those guys, or trade a pick away for a high rotation player.

GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#77 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:50 pm

and1GS wrote:I don't know exactly what you're referring to as my quote post just says 'snip,' but as I noted even with Klay pushing others to the bench our 2nd unit is bad. Expecting 3 rookies to shore up a contender-worthy rotation is risky and asking a lot of them. IMO we either accept this is a longer term project and develop those guys, or trade a pick away for a high rotation player.

I just edited your post so not to clutter the thread, and mainly for you to receive the notification of my reply. It's just that simple.

I agree the rotation on the bench is bad. I just believe the trade-off with adding players with more potential would be better for the team in the medium and long term.

I mean, trading Bazemore for, let's say, Scottie Barnes would add a lot of value for us over time.

I said it before: IMHO, we have to build a "gap" core now, while our core 4 players are still able to compete at a satisfactory level. This young core would benefit a lot from playing and learning with them.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#78 » by and1GS » Mon May 10, 2021 7:24 pm

What is a gap core?

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#79 » by wco81 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:27 pm

If they get two lottery picks in this next draft, it's going to be tough for someone like Jessup to make the team or maybe make the team but get playing time.

In fact probably won't even pretend to try to keep Oubre or his salary slot.

Could be tough for players like Lee and Mulder to get a guaranteed deal.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,963

Post#80 » by anotherhomer » Tue May 18, 2021 3:06 am

Onus wrote:We should be all over the raptors and pacers if they are looking to tear it down after their miserable years.

As a raptors fan, two things:
1. i'm pretty sure the raps do not intend to tear it down. They intend to compete.
I very much doubt the Raps are doing either trade:
OG for James Wiseman & wolves pick plus filler
Pascal for either picks/wiseman/etc.

2. I am a fan of James Wiseman, and rooting for him.
Hoping the guy puts it together.
But sadly, Warriors may need to make a decision to trade him for a younger but more NBA-ready player if they need to compete

3. Steph Curry is pretty amazing (ya you all know that)

Return to Golden State Warriors