Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Re: 2021-2022 roster 

Post#61 » by Onus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:01 pm

:evil:
Hopper15 wrote:
Onus wrote:I like davion Mitchell with our pick. His burst is elite.

GPII with a jumper.

Yea if his jumper is legit maybe he becomes Fred van vleet
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#62 » by Samurai » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:07 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Onus wrote:Curry/klay/Wiggins/draymond/wiseman
Poole/green/jj/jta/looney

Get another wing defender and center and I like that team.

I'd be good with having Bazemore return on a minimum contract as that wing defender. He's a solid defender with a strong motor, shooting 41% from deep, and most importantly, knows how to play alongside Steph and Draymond.

I'm getting tired of Bazemore coming in fouling. His 'motor' runs to reckless too often. He's averaging 4.6 fouls per 36 minutes, with way too many of them 3 pointers.

Well, when we're talking about a guy for the minimum it is by definition a flawed player or else they would be commanding money that would cause a cap crunch. So like every other minimum player, Bazemore has clear flaws - he fouls too much, he can be eratic with the ball, and his shot selection can be highly questionable at times. But since being inserted into the starting lineup due to Oubre's injury, the team is 4-1. He gives the team a clear spark on defense and is unafraid to get inside the jersey of the opponent's wing shooters. He spreads the floor, runs the court, sets good screens for a non-big and most importantly of all, he knows how to look for and find Curry. So many others (Oubre, cough-cough) either can't or won't do this nearly as much as someone playing with the GOAT shooter should be doing. And when Dray has the ball, he knows how to run to an open corner (and actually makes the corner 3) or cut to the rim to be on the receiving end of Green's passes. Since every minimum player will have clear flaws, I like the positives that Bazemore gives us. I'd be much less enthusiastic on having him back if we didn't have Curry, Dray and Klay since Bazemore just seems to know how to blend with them and maximize their talents.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#63 » by WarriorGM » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 pm

Onus wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:I do not understand why people seem to want Wiseman to start next year. Unless he makes remarkable progress in the off-season he should not be starting.

For comparison Bell had a better first year than Wiseman. He ended up playing less his second year. Just one of those head-scratchers that go largely unremarked.

Whether we want Wiseman to start or not, he's starting when he's healthy. It's too late to demote him back to a bench role. He may start in role but he'll probably play 20 minutes until he's ready for more.

Demote him if necessary. I see nothing too late about it.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 349

Post#64 » by weekend_warrior » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:55 pm

I actually even kind of like the roster. We have some good players on the bench...on a good day. The problem is with consistency. You never know what you get out of these guys on any given night.

So from this perspective it would be a great thing to just get Klay back already (at high level, hopefully). To have another player to rely upon, so that you can cut the minutes of these hit-or-miss type of players when the performance isn't great.

I believe that a starting unit of Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Green and Looney/Wiseman can be very competitive in 2022...and if you can bring Oubre, Poole, Wiseman/Looney and some mix of Baze/Lee/Mulder + hopefully another high-level draft pick from the bench, things look pretty good.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#65 » by killmongrel » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:06 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:I actually even kind of like the roster. We have some good players on the bench...on a good day. The problem is with consistency. You never know what you get out of these guys on any given night.

So from this perspective it would be a great thing to just get Klay back already (at high level, hopefully). To have another player to rely upon, so that you can cut the minutes of these hit-or-miss type of players when the performance isn't great.

I believe that a starting unit of Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Green and Looney/Wiseman can be very competitive in 2022...and if you can bring Oubre, Poole, Wiseman/Looney and some mix of Baze/Lee/Mulder + hopefully another high-level draft pick from the bench, things look pretty good.

Our bench is actually better in my opinion than what we had the past several years. The only issue is we don't have the top end talent at the moment starting. If we get a viable contending starting lineup, a bench of Looney or Wiseman, Poole, JTA, Lee, Chriss, Jessup, and maybe a top lottery talent is going to be formidable. Add in possible vets in FA like an Iguodala on vet minimum or others, and we have a fantastic roster.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#66 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:17 pm

Oubre has no place on this team next year, he's clearly a bad fit in this system, not sure why people want him back, also I think he's already talked about wanting to start...and if Klay's back he's not starting anything

and again, Wiseman should not be starting either unless we are sure he can actually be functional in this scheme, i'd start him off the bench at first for sure and put Loon in the starting lineup for begin the year

as for the bench keepers...honestly to me it's pretty much Poole/JTA at this point I can see having roles...prefer to package Paschall/Wiseman for someone else but they might have their roles too.

can't wait for the lotto so we know for sure if we have the 4/5 pick or not, that'll make things a lot easier.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#67 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:20 pm

right now, these are the guys that should be locked in

Steph
Klay / Poole
Wiggy / JTA
Dray
Loon

+ our draft pick(s).

i'd look to move Wiseman/Paschall in a package for a combo forward, maybe bring Chriss back. we also need another ball handler, maybe Springer in the draft but if not that's where the MLE has to be spent.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#68 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:55 pm

killmongrel wrote:
weekend_warrior wrote:I actually even kind of like the roster. We have some good players on the bench...on a good day. The problem is with consistency. You never know what you get out of these guys on any given night.

Our bench is actually better in my opinion than what we had the past several years. The only issue is we don't have the top end talent at the moment starting. If we get a viable contending starting lineup, a bench of Looney or Wiseman, Poole, JTA, Lee, Chriss, Jessup, and maybe a top lottery talent is going to be formidable. Add in possible vets in FA like an Iguodala on vet minimum or others, and we have a fantastic roster.

A top 20 pick may not shoot as well as someone like Lee or even Mulder, whose percentage has dropped.

But he’d likely be able to do more, such as defend, create, finish. May have a learning curve to work off ball. But higher ceiling than one-dimensional catch and shoot.

Warriors do need one high percentage shooter, someone like Robinson or Bertans who are worth hiding on defense. They may keep Lee because of his familiarity with system and comfort level with players and coaches.

But you would think if GSW gets two FRPs this year, those players are going to get minutes over role players, even if they’re not as productive or reliable shooters right away.

It’s expecting a lot for two 19-22 year olds to be productive. Plus Wiseman will get minutes.

If they have 3 young players on roster, at least 2 role players will be gone.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#69 » by Hopper15 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:06 am

Worth noting:

Smailagic fully guaranteed July 6th (guessing they will try to get him on a two way)

Lee $500K guarantee on July 15th (may hinge on plans for Jessup)

Mulder non-guaranteed (no harm bringing him to camp)

Dates can change if mutually agreed. Not sure if they might be pushed back due to late start related to COVID.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#70 » by wco81 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:08 pm

JTA solidified his spot.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Hopper15 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:53 pm

wco81 wrote:JTA solidified his spot.

Happy JTA Signing Day!
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#72 » by Upperclass » Thu May 13, 2021 8:04 am

Steph, Dray, Klay, JTA, Poole. Trade or jettison every other player on that roster. Wiggins has no second gear in terms of drive. 38 points vs a broken down team that was triple teaming Steph is not sustainable. Oubre doesn't think quickly enough. All the others are mediocre. Wiseman's value will be low but obviously doesn't fit even if he develops. Hes a lane clogger for a star that needs the full court as an option
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,039

Post#73 » by The-Power » Thu May 13, 2021 11:57 am

Upperclass wrote:Wiggins has no second gear in terms of drive. 38 points vs a broken down team that was triple teaming Steph is not sustainable.

Well, duh. Nobody needs that kind of performance consistently from him. If he can continue to do what he has done this year, he'll be with us going forward because that's a very useful player who we shouldn't actively shop using our assets. If he can consistently play the way he has played thus far in May, he'd be an important part of the core going forward.

I also disagree on the Wiseman part. He has to learn how to play with Steph and if there is a good offer out there, the Warriors have to at least consider it. But there's nothing that's inherently stopping Wiseman from playing in a role that doesn't hold back Steph. Like McGee, or even Looney – neither of them have inherent abilities that Wiseman cannot acquire if he puts his mind to it (although it might take a bit more time that the FO is willing to accept).
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#74 » by TB » Thu May 13, 2021 4:44 pm

I think it may be a hard offseason to make a big move unless the front office sells high on Wiggins, which I now don't think they will do. I also think they will want to hang on to Wiseman to prove it was a good pick in the coming years. If that is the case...

- Minny pick + our pick to get into the 4/5 and draft Jalen Green
- Draft Scottie Lewis late by getting into 2nd round or working out a 2way plan undrafted
- MLE McDermott (or Otto, Bullock, Snell etc etc)
- re-sign JTA and Bazemore
- vet min Chriss

Steph / Poole / Nico
Klay / Green / Lee / Jessup (2way)
Wiggins / JTA / Bazemore / Lewis (2way)
Dray / McDermott / Paschall
Looney / Wiseman / Chriss

As with every year, it will come down to the health of Steph. But essentially this is a 8 seed team from this year that now has the additions of Klay, Jalen Green, McBuckets, and hopefully an improved Wiseman and Poole.

And one last long shot prediction.... I could see a fairly big time player like Derozan, Lowry, Tim Hardaway Jr, or someone in that range not finding a big deal and maybe being available for the MLE. Imagine talking THJ or Demar into starting while Klay is recovering... could happen.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#75 » by whatisacenter » Thu May 13, 2021 4:59 pm

Read on Twitter

they locked up Juan for next season...
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Hopper15 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:06 pm

Well deserved Juan :nod:
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,106

Post#77 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:19 pm

What a steal! He could get above minimum money in the offseason.

Excellent signing.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 349

Post#78 » by weekend_warrior » Sat May 15, 2021 10:17 am

I think those guys are a lock for next season (assuming no trade for a star comes up where we would include Wiseman):

Steph
Klay, Poole
Wiggins
Green, JTA
Looney, Wiseman

If Klay can come back healthy, this is a good core already.

Other options include:

Mannion (likely 2-way)
Bazemore (I would bring him back at the minimum, solid rotation player and liked by the team.)
Lee (Can bring him back, he's alright. Might have no spot if better options present themselves.)
Mulder (same as Lee)
Oubre (Probably gone. Maybe we can arrange a S&T?)
Paschall (On the fence with him. Looked good last season and great early on this year. Has fallen off a cliff since (health?).)
Smailagic (Let him go or sign as 2-way if there is still belief.)
Jessup (Let him go up against Lee/Mulder for a spot. Or sign as 2-way.)

Then there is the MLE, our 1st and possibly the Minny 1st.

There are a lot of players that can play some minutes (or be good on a special day), but not enough reliable options. I think we should probably try to consolidate the roster a bit here. Maybe attach the pick(s) to a Oubre S&T and try to get back a good wing player. Or maybe they have a good draft player in mind that can help immediately.

With the MLE we should probably bring in a solid backup point guard. There we are quite thin.

Realistically:

Steph, MLE player
Klay, Poole, Lee/Mulder
Wiggins, Pick or Oubre S&T, Bazemore
Green, JTA, Paschall
Looney, Wiseman, Chriss?

+ Mannion and Jessup on 2-way

Would be absolutely fine with this.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 751

Post#79 » by jaymo123 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:38 pm

These are the players currently on the roster I would keep:

PG: Steph
SG: Klay/Poole
SF: Wiggens/JTA/Bazemore? - Bazemore is the last option if others are not signed in free agency.
PF: Green/Looney?/Pascall - Looney has player option.
C: Wiseman
Draft Pick

These are the moves I hope the dubs can make in the offseason:

PG: TJ McConnell or Patty Mills - either guy would be great role players off the bench, move and cut well off the ball. McConnell would be cheaper.
SG/SF: Harkless/W. Matthews - cheap but better defensive replacements over Lee and Mulder that can be signed by the vet minimum.
PF/C: Noel, R. Holmes or Chriss - run the floor, decent on the perimeter defense, and finish at the rim. Chriss would be the cheapest.

Here is the core group if it worked out the way I want it to:

PG: Steph/Mills - chose Mills over McConnell because he can shoot.
SG: Klay/Poole/Mathews
SF: Wiggens/JTA/Harkless
PF: Green/Looney/Pascall
C: Wiseman/Chriss

Add in a draft pick for the 14th roster spot or use that pick along with Looney or Pascall in a trade.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#80 » by killmongrel » Sat May 15, 2021 7:10 pm

What do you guys think of Reggie Bullock? Do you think he can be a viable starter? Better than Bazemore, Lee, Mulder, or even a lottery rookie. That is if they don't make any big moves.

Return to Golden State Warriors