Who should Bradley and Russ woo?

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#21 » by Ruzious » Mon May 17, 2021 11:11 am

keynote wrote:Feel free to merge this into the Trade thread. But this topic feels a bit different.

These days, the best way to add talent outside of hitting the lotto is to convince a disgruntled star under contract to essentially work in cahoots with you, and engineer a lopsided trade to your team.

Let's say Beal is satisfied with the team's direction, and is willing to work with Russ to slide into the DMs of disaffected stars in awkward situations in the hopes of convincing them to pout their way to DC. What would that list of potentially eligible stars look like?

I assume that stars on contender teams are content and unlikely to leave, and stars on rookie deals can't pout their way off, seeing as their franchise still has their RFA rights. We could always pay FMV for a solid talent like Denver did for Gordon, but it's clearly better to find a star who's willing to pressure things on their end as well.

So, who would you have Beal and Russ call first?

Ingram? Sabonis? KAT? Siakam? Anyone?

Well, wouldn't that be tampering - unless they call free agents? And with our cap/lux tax situations, we can't go over the MLE to sign free agents.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#22 » by Eli Babak » Mon May 17, 2021 11:29 am

You're cute with your ideas and dreams. The fact is that the team will be like this next year:

Head coach: Scott Brooks, 2 year deal

Westbrook / Smith (1y/3M) / Neto (1y/3M) / Winston (2 way)
Beal / Mathews (3y/10M) / 1st
Avdija / TONY SNELL (2y/12M) / Hutchison / Homesley (2 way)
Hachimura / Bertans / Gill
Bryant / Gafford / Lopez (1y/6M)

Everyone stays healthy, they keep up the momentum and will be a top-4 team for sure!

...but if I can dream... Ujiri comes here, puts Ted in place, hires competent people to coach & in front office and starts building a better culture. I don't really care about big name players to be honest.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,880

Post#23 » by Frichuela » Mon May 17, 2021 1:44 pm

Eli Babak wrote:You're cute with your ideas and dreams. The fact is that the team will be like this next year:

Everyone stays healthy, they keep up the momentum and will be a top-4 team for sure!

...but if I can dream... Ujiri comes here, puts Ted in place, hires competent people to coach & in front office and starts building a better culture. I don't really care about big name players to be honest.

I hope Brooks is gone for the sake of this team..but I share your pessimism...let's see if Ted proves us wrong.

Also:

1) As the 1st round pick, which is likely to be 15th if we succeed in getting to the playoff rounds, my favorite choice is Jared Butler, which I see as a low cost replacement for either Ish or Neto (at least one of them should be gone). Butler is a 6'3" combo guard who is NBA ready and a great 3-pt shooter.
2) I don't think Lopez will be back. We should not pay more than the vet min for a 3rd string center.

With this in mind this is how I would like to see next year's roster:

Head coach: Kenny Atkinson

Westbrook / Smith or Neto (1y/3M max) / Winston (2 way)
Beal / Butler (4 y rookie)/Mathews (3y/10M)
Avdija / Torrey Craig (2y/8M) / Hutchison / Homesley (2 way)
Bryant / Gafford / Len (1y/Vet min)

If my math is right, this should make sure we are under the lux tax. I also hope we buy a 2nd round pick to develop!
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 871

Post#24 » by badinage » Mon May 17, 2021 2:15 pm

Eli Babak wrote:You're cute with your ideas and dreams. The fact is that the team will be like this next year:

You’re cute with your Old World fatalism.

Better culture? Who has a better culture than this? This is a fantastic culture. Look at the roster — great guys, all of them. Who get along. Who work exceptionally hard. For the last third of the season, no team in the league outworked them. This is now an attractive free agent destination. Finally. FINALLY. No, not sexy like LA and Miami (DC is spectacularly unsexy — a large bedroom community, basically, where everything feels hidden away), but in that next tier down. Which it hasn’t been, ever.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#25 » by Eli Babak » Mon May 17, 2021 3:18 pm

badinage wrote:

Better culture? Who has a better culture than this? This is a fantastic culture. Look at the roster — great guys, all of them. Who get along. Who work exceptionally hard. For the last third of the season, no team in the league outworked them. This is now an attractive free agent destination. Finally. FINALLY. No, not sexy like LA and Miami (DC is spectacularly unsexy — a large bedroom community, basically, where everything feels hidden away), but in that next tier down. Which it hasn’t been, ever.

I'm not sure whether you're serious or not (I think you're kidding... thinking like Ted... with Ernie whispering in his ear... :D). Anyway - of course I hope I'm wrong and that things will only get better from now on.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 871

Post#26 » by badinage » Mon May 17, 2021 5:22 pm

Eli Babak wrote:
badinage wrote:

I'm not sure whether you're serious or not (I think you're kidding... thinking like Ted... with Ernie whispering in his ear... :D). Anyway - of course I hope I'm wrong and that things will only get better from now on.

You’re cute with your cluelessness.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#27 » by keynote » Mon May 17, 2021 10:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:
keynote wrote:
So, who would you have Beal and Russ call first?

Well, wouldn't that be tampering - unless they call free agents? And with our cap/lux tax situations, we can't go over the MLE to sign free agents.

That might be the letter of the rule. But as a fan, I'm operating under the assumption that Harden didn't engineer his way to Brooklyn without first communicating with KD and Kyrie's respective camps. Ditto for Paul George (also under contract) and Kawhi's uncle. Ditto for Anthony Davis and Klutch. Ditto for...
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#28 » by keynote » Mon May 17, 2021 10:34 pm

Boo. There are other threads to talk about draft prospects, reasonable FA targets with the MLE, and FMV trades -- either blockbusters or gap-filling role player swaps. But as evidenced by the Lakers, Clippers, and Nets, there's a fourth way to acquire talent. From the small sample size we have, pulling this off requires having a) a solid basketball foundation with b) existing superstar talent who c) have a relationship with d) a disgruntled star under contract with e) a vulnerable, underperforming team. That's the profile.

We might have a) (although I'd feel much better if we moved on from Brooks).
We have b).
We can speculate on c).
I've given suggestions of stars who might be d) and e).
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#29 » by J-Ves » Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 pm

I just don’t see how the wiz acquire their third banana in either FA or trade. Keep in mind the Wiz can’t trade future picks because of the Westbrook trade. I think it’s going to have to be another offseason of trying to improve the team in the margins. Luckily GMTS has shown to be good at that.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Ruzious » Tue May 18, 2021 12:10 am

Dat2U wrote:Deni, TB & our 1st for Christian Wood.

There's an interesting twist on Dat's idea in the Trade board. Someone suggested lowering the protection on the 2023 pick we "traded" to Houston in the Wall/Westbrook trade as part of the trade. I don't know if I liked the trade particularly, but that was a very creative idea. I think his deal was trading Bryant, our 2021 pick (looking like 15th), and lowering the protection on the 2023 pick for Wood and and another pick that I can't recall.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#31 » by payitforward » Tue May 18, 2021 12:33 am

keynote wrote:...Let's say Beal is satisfied with the team's direction, and is willing to work with Russ to slide into the DMs of disaffected stars in awkward situations in the hopes of convincing them to pout their way to DC. What would that list of potentially eligible stars look like?...

Next season, Russ & Brad will combine to make $78m. Kat is signed for $31.6m. Ok, that's almost $110m for 3 players.

We have 5 other guys with $38m+ in guarantees. So we are at $148m for 8 guys. The cap is $136m. Hmmm, I guess that's not going to work, huh?

Siakam? Worse....

In fact, those guys you list? We can't afford them. We can't even afford the last one on the list: "Anyone."

We can't afford anyone.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#32 » by WallToWall » Tue May 18, 2021 12:56 am

payitforward wrote:
keynote wrote:...Let's say Beal is satisfied with the team's direction, and is willing to work with Russ to slide into the DMs of disaffected stars in awkward situations in the hopes of convincing them to pout their way to DC. What would that list of potentially eligible stars look like?...

Next season, Russ & Brad will combine to make $78m. Kat is signed for $31.6m. Ok, that's almost $110m for 3 players.

We have 5 other guys with $38m+ in guarantees. So we are at $148m for 8 guys. The cap is $136m. Hmmm, I guess that's not going to work, huh?

Siakam? Worse....

In fact, those guys you list? We can't afford them. We can't even afford the last one on the list: "Anyone."

We can't afford anyone.

I get that we cant trade for KAT. However, cant we still sign some FA with our MLE, bi-annual (~3.8-4M/2yrs), and veteran minimum?
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#33 » by prime1time » Tue May 18, 2021 1:15 am

payitforward wrote:

Siakam? Worse....

We can't afford anyone.

If we trade for KAT we are basically blowing up the roster sans Beal and Russ. We'll fill it out with cheap vets trying to make a run. Definitely worth considering. Also, I'm tired of this "can't afford anyone." Nets have Harden, Irving and Durant. How did they afford them? It is what it is. If there's any way we can bring a legit 3rd star in, we should do it. Our best hope is that a good team absolutely tanks in the playoffs and a superstar looks to leave. But to be clear, I'm all in on bringing in the 3rd star. And I'm willing to blow-up the roster to do it. And so should Sheppard. Our window is now. Trade draft picks, trade Hachimura, trade Avdija, trade Bryant, whatever it takes.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#34 » by payitforward » Tue May 18, 2021 1:53 am

prime1time wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Siakam? Worse....

We can't afford anyone.

If we trade for KAT we are basically blowing up the roster sans Beal and Russ. We'll fill it out with cheap vets trying to make a run. Definitely worth considering. Also, I'm tired of this "can't afford anyone." Nets have Harden, Irving and Durant. How did they afford them? It is what it is. If there's any way we can bring a legit 3rd star in, we should do it. Our best hope is that a good team absolutely tanks in the playoffs and a superstar looks to leave. But to be clear, I'm all in on bringing in the 3rd star. And I'm willing to blow-up the roster to do it. And so should Sheppard. Our window is now. Trade draft picks, trade Hachimura, trade Avdija, trade Bryant, whatever it takes.

Absolutely. In fact, why should we stop at bringing in a 3d star? Why don't we bring in a 4th star -- & even a 5th? What does it matter how much it costs? After all this is our chance. Right now. &... are you & I paying the bill? Nah. & if it doesn't work, are you & I responsible for rebuilding the team? Nah!

Really, you should call Tommy Sheppard & explain this to him. Obviously, he hasn't thought this whole thing through the way you have. Give him the benefit of your analysis.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#35 » by payitforward » Tue May 18, 2021 2:00 am

I forgot... there was one thing I wanted to ask you -- it's about this:
prime1time wrote:...If we trade for KAT we are basically blowing up the roster sans Beal and Russ. We'll fill it out with cheap vets trying to make a run....

Could you name say a dozen of those "cheap vets" who we could use to "fill out" the roster? Might need a longer list, of course, since you never know who can/can't come here. But feel free to start with a dozen.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#36 » by 9 and 20 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:38 am

payitforward wrote:I forgot... there was one thing I wanted to ask you -- it's about this:
prime1time wrote:...If we trade for KAT we are basically blowing up the roster sans Beal and Russ. We'll fill it out with cheap vets trying to make a run....

Could you name say a dozen of those "cheap vets" who we could use to "fill out" the roster? Might need a longer list, of course, since you never know who can/can't come here. But feel free to start with a dozen.

Caleb Homesely.

For real though, teams are able to put together super teams by exceeding the cap all the time and straying into luxury tax territory. No reason for Ted not to do it, and then fill out the team with Raul Neto-type players.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#37 » by WallToWall » Tue May 18, 2021 3:23 am

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#38 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue May 18, 2021 3:52 am

Davonte Graham and John Collins?

Nah, both would cost too much. Be a nice roster though.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Ruzious » Tue May 18, 2021 4:11 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Davonte Graham and John Collins?

Nah, both would cost too much. Be a nice roster though.

It's hard to say about Graham. Great open shooter - but short. He's physically tough for his size - like Neto. Can play the point. He missed that big open 3 at the end of the Wiz game, but he's also a guy they trust to take the big shots - and he makes some. He'd make a decent 3rd guard for the Wiz.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#40 » by Rafael122 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:26 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Deni, TB & our 1st for Christian Wood.

There's an interesting twist on Dat's idea in the Trade board. Someone suggested lowering the protection on the 2023 pick we "traded" to Houston in the Wall/Westbrook trade as part of the trade. I don't know if I liked the trade particularly, but that was a very creative idea. I think his deal was trading Bryant, our 2021 pick (looking like 15th), and lowering the protection on the 2023 pick for Wood and and another pick that I can't recall.

I saw that, it was Bryant, 2021 pick, lowered protections on the 2023 pick for Wood and Houston's 24th pick. On paper that seems like an awful lot to give up. I'm still not 100% sure about that trade.

This is far fetched but someone brought his name up on Twitter: Demar Derozan. I have no idea what his contract situation will be since this guy is coming off a max contract but that would be a really interesting fit.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.

Return to Washington Wizards