Who should Bradley and Russ woo?

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#61 » by Ruzious » Wed May 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Sam1r wrote:KAT is the only superstar in a "bad" situation now but he probably will give this Minnesota roster 1 year because the upside looks good with healthy DLo and Ant.

Assuming next year the Wiz get even better with Bryant back we'll be a top 6 team in the east.

Otherwise if you just look at the teams that are in the standings..which superstar really is likely to complain anytime soon? No one that would really fit.

What this team needs now is shooting, last night was an obvious wake-up call, 14% from 3 for a modern NBA team is unacceptable. Bertans has a bad game and literally no one else can stretch the floor. The last thing the Wiz need to do is pick up Demar Derozan in free agency. If we could get Duncan Robinson that would actually be really helpful.

Next year, RoLo might be worth bringing back, Alex Len can walk, Ish Smith could be worth bringing back but rlly I like getting TJ McConnell who will be a FA more, he could replace Raul Neto too although Raul has been decent.

Maybe a Jerami Grant trade could be brewing? Bertans for Grant? Grant isn't as good of a shooter but he does have much better D making him a more complete 3 & D guy the role he played in Denver could be good for Wiz.

Imagine if Minnesota gets Mobley to team with Towns. With their other pieces, they could become one of the top teams in the NBA.

Grant's ok, but I just don't see him making a significant difference on the Wiz. I do like McConnell in the Neto or Ish role - good call.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#62 » by Ruzious » Wed May 19, 2021 10:53 pm

This article https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/05/nba-player-option-decisions-for-202122.html has a list of players who can opt out of their contracts this offseason. We're probably not going to get kawhi Leonard. I'd love to get Norman Powell, but his contract is a little too high for it to make sense for him to opt out and take an MLE contract - even a long-term MLE.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#63 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu May 20, 2021 2:15 am

Rudy Gay
Javale McGee
DeMarcus Cousins

Minimum veteran ONE year deal ...any that accepts.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#64 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu May 20, 2021 2:20 am

Ruzious wrote:This article https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/05/nba-player-option-decisions-for-202122.html has a list of players who can opt out of their contracts this offseason. We're probably not going to get kawhi Leonard. I'd love to get Norman Powell, but his contract is a little too high for it to make sense for him to opt out and take an MLE contract - even a long-term MLE.

Thanks for this link, Ruzious! :clap:
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#65 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu May 20, 2021 2:22 am

From that list it’s very easy for me: Kris Dunn, Kevon Looney, and Will Barton.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Ruzious » Thu May 20, 2021 2:37 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:From that list it’s very easy for me: Kris Dunn, Kevon Looney, and Will Barton.

Barton would be a great fit here, but he's making something like $14 mil. That'd be hard for him to turn down. Looney's one of those really underrated team-oriented players that just helps his team win. I just wish Dunn was a better shooter.
RealGM

Post#67 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu May 20, 2021 2:43 am

Ruzious wrote:
    Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:From that list it’s very easy for me: Kris Dunn, Kevon Looney, and Will Barton.

Barton would be a great fit here, but he's making something like $14 mil. That'd be hard for him to turn down. Looney's one of those really underrated team-oriented players that just helps his team win. I just wish Dunn was a better shooter.

Players have accepted a lot less. DeMarcus Cousins took a huge pay cut to play on the Lakers. Will Barton is from Baltimore and I believe he might take a discount to play here but if he doesn’t to heck with him.

The wizards need to tell the players the price they’re willing to pay for the job that they are offering. The carrot is the opportunity to play with Russell and Bradley at small forward. Will Barton or maybe Rudy gay if his contract is nice would be perfect in my opinion
    Bye bye Beal.
    9 and 20
    Rookie
    And1: 820

Post#68 » by 9 and 20 » Thu May 20, 2021 2:53 am

How much will Derrick Jones Jr from Portland get? He can't shoot, but he's another wing player that can defend.
    Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
    Illuminaire
    Veteran
    And1: 606

Post#69 » by Illuminaire » Thu May 20, 2021 3:01 am

Ruzious wrote:

I would be wary of Barton. I watched about 40 Nuggets games this year, and he was by far their most infuriating player. He's one of those guys with absolute confidence in himself. Full Mamba mentality. But he writes checks his talent can't cash.
    RealGM

Post#70 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu May 20, 2021 10:34 am

Illuminaire wrote:
    Ruzious wrote:

I would be wary of Barton. I watched about 40 Nuggets games this year, and he was by far their most infuriating player. He's one of those guys with absolute confidence in himself. Full Mamba mentality. But he writes checks his talent can't cash.

I totally agree. The caveat for putting him on the roster is that he would not be getting any more than 15 or 20 minutes a game.
    Bye bye Beal.
    wall_glizzy
    Junior
    And1: 199

Post#71 » by wall_glizzy » Thu May 20, 2021 7:36 pm

Glad everyone's caught up on the Kris Dunn thing, lol. However, I'm skeptical that he opts out after having been injured for almost the entirety of this past season. If he does, it's because he has reason to expect a raise over the $5 million to which he's entitled next year, which probably starts to price him out of our range.
    keynote
    General Manager
    And1: 2,587

Post#72 » by keynote » Fri May 21, 2021 2:26 am

What are the odds of Sabonis being a Pacer next year?
    Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
    smoothSeph
    Pro Prospect
    And1: 526

Post#73 » by smoothSeph » Fri May 21, 2021 3:16 am

Read on Twitter
    ?s=20
    gambitx777
    General Manager
    And1: 1,726

Post#74 » by gambitx777 » Fri May 21, 2021 5:23 am

If he's willing to take a pay cut that wouldn't be a bad team. But like we have mid level money available that's it. And we don't have much for a sign and trade unless S/A is willing to take Bertans back, and they won't be.

He's a solid defender and next to Rui that would be a dame.good starting 5
    West, beal, damar, rui and Gafford.
    smoothSeph wrote:
    Read on Twitter
    ?s=20

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
    Ruzious
    Retired Mod
    Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Ruzious » Fri May 21, 2021 10:06 am

gambitx777 wrote:If he's willing to take a pay cut that wouldn't be a bad team. But like we have mid level money available that's it. And we don't have much for a sign and trade unless S/A is willing to take Bertans back, and they won't be.

smoothSeph wrote:
    Read on Twitter
    ?s=20

Ideally, we'd want a catch and shoot 3 point shooter at the 3 to spread the floor and let Westbrook and Beal hog the ball, and that's anything but what DeRosan is. What's the old saying - you only play with 1 basketball.
    likwitdesi
    Starter
    And1: 60

Post#76 » by likwitdesi » Fri May 21, 2021 5:25 pm

I think Jonathan Isaac should absolutely be a target. Yes, he is coming off the ACL injury and that is a risk but it's a good bet that he will come back fine from it. It may also be an opportunity to get him a bit cheaper. In our system, I think he is a 15+ ppg scorer and he has shown at least an ok 3 point shot. He is also a tough minded religious guy and I see him bonding with Russ and Brad.

Russ / Beal / Isaac / Rui / Gafford is a top 10 (and perhaps a top 5) defense in this league that takes you to a top 5 seed in the East.

The Magic are clearly in rebuild mode, having traded away Vucevic.

I wonder if they bite on Bertans + Avdija + a 1st for Isaac + Okeke

They get a 1st and the higher upside SF prospect. If Bertans bounces back next season, he should be relatively easy for them to move. Okeke would be a nice 3 n D guy for us off the bench
    Ruzious
    Retired Mod
    Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Ruzious » Fri May 21, 2021 5:53 pm

likwitdesi wrote:I think Jonathan Isaac should absolutely be a target. Yes, he is coming off the ACL injury and that is a risk but it's a good bet that he will come back fine from it. It may also be an opportunity to get him a bit cheaper. In our system, I think he is a 15+ ppg scorer and he has shown at least an ok 3 point shot. He is also a tough minded religious guy and I see him bonding with Russ and Brad.

Russ / Beal / Isaac / Rui / Gafford is a top 10 (and perhaps a top 5) defense in this league that takes you to a top 5 seed in the East.

They get a 1st and the higher upside SF prospect. If Bertans bounces back next season, he should be relatively easy for them to move. Okeke would be a nice 3 n D guy for us off the bench

Isaac's a very talented young PF. Gotta figure Orlando considers him one of their key building blocks - despite being very injury-prone. With them rebuilding, can't see them having any interest in Bertans, and Avdija isn't enough to get him. Even adding the 1st isn't enough - unless they consider him damaged goods.
    gambitx777
    General Manager
    And1: 1,726

Post#78 » by gambitx777 » Fri May 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Well we have some catch and shoot guys now. And if we have three all-star level guys on the team you can get dudes to show up for a min contract who can shoot.
    Ruzious wrote:
    gambitx777 wrote:If he's willing to take a pay cut that wouldn't be a bad team. But like we have mid level money available that's it. And we don't have much for a sign and trade unless S/A is willing to take Bertans back, and they won't be.

smoothSeph wrote:
    Read on Twitter
    ?s=20

Ideally, we'd want a catch and shoot 3 point shooter at the 3 to spread the floor and let Westbrook and Beal hog the ball, and that's anything but what DeRosan is. What's the old saying - you only play with 1 basketball.

Ruzious
    Retired Mod
    Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Ruzious » Fri May 21, 2021 6:32 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Well we have some catch and shoot guys now. And if we have three all-star level guys on the team you can get dudes to show up for a min contract who can shoot.
    Ruzious wrote:

DeRosan would NOT make the team any better. The team is NOT a good 3 point shooting team, and his lack of a 3 would make them worse at it and create a spacing problem.

Put it this way - Remember when Toronto traded DeRosan for Leonard? That made Toronto a dramatically better team. San Antonio isn't even a playoff team with him.
    likwitdesi
    Starter
    And1: 60

Post#80 » by likwitdesi » Fri May 21, 2021 6:49 pm

Ruzious wrote:
    likwitdesi wrote:I think Jonathan Isaac should absolutely be a target. Yes, he is coming off the ACL injury and that is a risk but it's a good bet that he will come back fine from it. It may also be an opportunity to get him a bit cheaper. In our system, I think he is a 15+ ppg scorer and he has shown at least an ok 3 point shot. He is also a tough minded religious guy and I see him bonding with Russ and Brad.

Isaac's a very talented young PF. Gotta figure Orlando considers him one of their key building blocks - despite being very injury-prone. With them rebuilding, can't see them having any interest in Bertans, and Avdija isn't enough to get him. Even adding the 1st isn't enough - unless they consider him damaged goods.

The challenge is that Bertans's contract is the one that matches.

Thomas + Deni + a 1st works too. I know they just traded for Carter but Bryant is a nice complement to him and they would probably value Bryant more than Bertans

Return to Washington Wizards