Round 1: Utah Jazz vs GSW/LAL/MEM

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Round 1: Utah Jazz vs GSW/LAL/MEM 

Post#1 » by tugs » Thu May 20, 2021 3:41 am

Watching the play in tournament at the moment. The amount of talent fighting for the last seed is remarkable. Can't really think of an ideal match up for Utah, all 3 can cause problems, having versatile players that can play multiple positions.

Lakers - size and speed
Dubs - speed and strength
Grizz - a mixed bag but really can't count them out, underdogs always have that extra drive in them

Which one would be the most "ideal" Round 1 opponent for Utah?

EDITED: JAZZ VS GRIZZLIES
tugs
RealGM

Re: Round 1: Utah Jazz vs GSW/LAL/MEM 

Post#2 » by tugs » Thu May 20, 2021 4:41 am

Welp, down to GSW and Memphis
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#3 » by BudTugly » Thu May 20, 2021 4:57 am

Lakers look really vulnerable to me, kinda wanted them.

That being said bring em all. We are #1 shouldn’t care who is the victim
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#4 » by Rauxcee » Thu May 20, 2021 5:04 am

I don't think the Jazz stood a chance against the Lakers, so thankfully LeBron channelled his inner Curry and hit that shot.

I think Jazz can and should beat either Memphis or GSW in 5 or 6 games.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#5 » by Catchall » Thu May 20, 2021 6:26 am

I want to see the Jazz play the Lakers in the WCF.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#6 » by Crunch 99 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:34 pm

I am just happy not to see the Lakers in round one. There is an argument that it is better to play the Lakers before they have a chance to establish a rhythm with Lebron and AD back in the lineup, but I don't think it will take them long. The Lakers didn't look dominant in their win over GS last night, but Lebron still had a triple double, had a game winning shot and looks like he is ready to lead in round one.

There are no easy playoff outs, but I prefer to play the Grizz over the Warriors. The Warriors have two All Stars and a head coach with championship experience, whereas the Grizz, except for JV, lack playoff experience.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#7 » by TNJazz » Thu May 20, 2021 1:23 pm

Bring on the Warriors. While playing the Grizz would most likely be easier, historically, the Jazz have a tendency to not play well when they are heavily favored. Also winning the first round against the Warriors, would give them more confidence as GSW is on a roll and really should have won that game against the Lakers. LBJ, hit an amazing shot to end it. Getting some rest as they prepare to face the Suns and practice for that preparation will help them start to regain their focus and ability to play together. I believe I heard one of the announcers say that the starting lineup for the Lakers had only played 3 games together all season. Clippers tank job to make it so they weren't in the same bracket as the Lakers is whimpy, and not what championship teams do. What an interesting payoff season it would be if the Jazz had to go through all 3 CA teams to reach the finals, Daunting!
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#8 » by zero24gravity » Thu May 20, 2021 10:13 pm

Whoever the Jazz play, it looks like Mitchell is planning to play in game 1. I wonder if the Jazz would be more inclined to give him a little more time to heal (if the ankle isn't 100%) if they played Memphis instead of GS? Memphis is a decent team, but I feel like they aren't laying any fear in the Jazz, whereas a hot-Curry-led-Warriors can beat a better Jazz team, so you'd not want to chance losing game 1 w/o Mitchell.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/nba-playoffs-utah-jazz-donovan-mitchell-injury-update/ar-AAKd3RI?ocid=DELLDHP
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#9 » by AingesBurner » Thu May 20, 2021 10:26 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Whoever the Jazz play, it looks like Mitchell is planning to play in game 1. I wonder if the Jazz would be more inclined to give him a little more time to heal (if the ankle isn't 100%) if they played Memphis instead of GS? Memphis is a decent team, but I feel like they aren't laying any fear in the Jazz, whereas a hot-Curry-led-Warriors can beat a better Jazz team, so you'd not want to chance losing game 1 w/o Mitchell.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/nba-playoffs-utah-jazz-donovan-mitchell-injury-update/ar-AAKd3RI?ocid=DELLDHP

I can see minute restrictions the 1st two games.
Ingles is cooked.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#10 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri May 21, 2021 2:46 am

I know I'm not the only one, as a Jazz fan, that secretly dreads a 1st round exit nightmare. That said, we haven't had a better on paper look, (if not better), than the 2006-7 squad that the Spurs annihilated. That Spurs squad then swept CLE in the finals. I don't see an obvious favorite coming out of the EC or WC this year so essentially it's wide open for the first time in my memory. No one ran away with the season this year. It was a game of attrition with covid and injuries. Jazz just might have the big edge on fielding a fully healthy squad (talking to you DM). The Conley and DM injuries got Bogey and Clarkson rocking again plus the deeper bench getting some burn. I think its going to be a fluke/collapse if they don't make it out of the second round. The Jazz actually were better all season than any of the other teams, by record and eye test. We will see, (its the conditioned low fan expectation Jazz after all)
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#11 » by Crunch 99 » Fri May 21, 2021 2:59 pm

A surprising consequence of the new play-in format that DM recently mentioned is that the number one seeds in both the East and West are the last two teams to know who they are playing in the first round, so long, narrowly focused, detailed series game planning, a specialty of Quin and staff, is limited. I don't think this is going to be a killer, but think it is interesting that the play-in format results in a bit of a disadvantage for the number one seeds. Even GS and Memphis know the Jazz is their only possible, first round opponent, and Memphis has known since the regular season ended.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#12 » by AingesBurner » Fri May 21, 2021 3:14 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:A surprising consequence of the new play-in format that DM recently pointed out is that the number one seeds in both the East and West are the last two teams to know who they are playing in the first round, so long, narrowly focused, detailed series game planning, a specialty of Quin and staff, is limited. I don't think this is going to be a killer, but think it is interesting that the play-in format results in a bit of a disadvantage for the number one seeds.

You have to game plan for both and I guarantee that's what Quin's doing.
Ingles is cooked.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#13 » by Crunch 99 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:22 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:A surprising consequence of the new play-in format that DM recently pointed out is that the number one seeds in both the East and West are the last two teams to know who they are playing in the first round, so long, narrowly focused, detailed series game planning, a specialty of Quin and staff, is limited. I don't think this is going to be a killer, but think it is interesting that the play-in format results in a bit of a disadvantage for the number one seeds. Even GS and Memphis know the Jazz is their only possible, first round opponent, and Memphis has known since the regular season ended.

I am sure they are game planning for both teams, but planning for four potential first round teams, then three teams and now two teams is a big task that is different than being able to focus all the staff and players on one team all week. Obviously our eventual first round opponent has to focus on more than one thing too --- they have to play and win games just to get to the Jazz and first round, but given Quinn's reputation for extremely detailed game/series planning, I suspect that Quin and DM might prefer to be in a situation like the Nuggets, Clippers, Mavs and Blazers are in, where both teams have an entire week to focus and prepare for one, known series opponent.

I think the Jazz will beat GS or Memphis in a series though. Go Jazz!
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#14 » by AingesBurner » Fri May 21, 2021 4:49 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:A surprising consequence of the new play-in format that DM recently pointed out is that the number one seeds in both the East and West are the last two teams to know who they are playing in the first round, so long, narrowly focused, detailed series game planning, a specialty of Quin and staff, is limited. I don't think this is going to be a killer, but think it is interesting that the play-in format results in a bit of a disadvantage for the number one seeds. Even GS and Memphis know the Jazz is their only possible, first round opponent, and Memphis has known since the regular season ended.

I am sure they are game planning for both teams, but planning for four potential first round teams, then three teams and now two teams is a big task that is different than being able to focus all the staff and players on series planning for just one team all week. Obviously our eventual first round opponent has to focus on more than one thing too --- they have to play and win games just to get to the Jazz and first round, but given Quinn's reputation for extremely detailed game/series planning, I suspect that Quin and DM might prefer to be in a situation like the Nuggets, Clippers, Mavs and Blazers are in, where both teams have an entire week to focus and prepare for just one, known series opponent.

I think the Jazz will beat GS or Memphis in a series though. Go Jazz!

Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#15 » by Catchall » Fri May 21, 2021 6:24 pm

GobertReport wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:Whoever the Jazz play, it looks like Mitchell is planning to play in game 1. I wonder if the Jazz would be more inclined to give him a little more time to heal (if the ankle isn't 100%) if they played Memphis instead of GS? Memphis is a decent team, but I feel like they aren't laying any fear in the Jazz, whereas a hot-Curry-led-Warriors can beat a better Jazz team, so you'd not want to chance losing game 1 w/o Mitchell.

I can see minute restrictions the 1st two games.

It might be easier for the Jazz to limit Mitchell's minutes against the Grizzlies' drop coverage rather than the Warriors' switching defense.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#16 » by Catchall » Fri May 21, 2021 6:26 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:A surprising consequence of the new play-in format that DM recently mentioned is that the number one seeds in both the East and West are the last two teams to know who they are playing in the first round, so long, narrowly focused, detailed series game planning, a specialty of Quin and staff, is limited. I don't think this is going to be a killer, but think it is interesting that the play-in format results in a bit of a disadvantage for the number one seeds. Even GS and Memphis know the Jazz is their only possible, first round opponent, and Memphis has known since the regular season ended.

The matchup odds were something like this ---
50% Warriors
30% Lakers
15% Grizzlies
5% Spurs

The Spurs were probably put on the shelf. Then two teams were eliminated on Wednesday. I'm sure the Jazz are doing some prep for both the Ws and Grizz at this point, and they can polish it up with a light practice tomorrow.

There's a disadvantage for the 8th seed since they have to play a do-or-die game tonight (like a Game 7) and then get on a plane for Salt Lake tomorrow. So they don't get much rest or prep time.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#17 » by vryadli » Sat May 22, 2021 2:15 am

I think Memphis has more chances to disrupt Jazz offence by tough gritty defense that GS. GS hardly can stop Jazz but has more chances just outgun Utah.
So it it is very important to jump on opponent and take first games till it is fresh vs tired case and more so with Memphis as defense take more time to calculate and typically more defensive teams become stronger in the end of contest

Also, Memphis stars are younger and can learn on the fly. Or, and Val is one of rare center who can bodily push on Gobert. So Mephis will be tough opponent on 6-th game and I'd be scared if it will come to 7-th.
tugs
RealGM

Post#18 » by tugs » Sat May 22, 2021 4:01 am

Welp gentlemen, Grizzlies it is. Morant is a problem
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#19 » by BudTugly » Sat May 22, 2021 4:08 am

That was a fun finish. Always feels good seeing young guys accomplish something for the first time
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#20 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat May 22, 2021 7:48 am

Rauxcee wrote:I don't think the Jazz stood a chance against the Lakers,.

So, are we just ignoring the fact that neither LeBron nor AD are anywhere close to %100 right now, and that outside of a handful of games, the Lakers have not played as a team the entire season? I've watched a lot of Laker ball this year and I can honestly say that the only reason they even made the play-in was because of one-sided reffing the entire season. Even before LeBron got hurt, they were getting down big to team after team and then coming back late after the refs turned the momentum in late 3rd/early 4th quarters. The fact that that team won even a single game without both of LeBron and AD was a complete joke, let alone winning multiple games like they did.

If you look at AD's career, this season is a lot more indicative of what to expect from him than what happened last season. AD played out of his mind last year to win that championship and is highly unlikely to do that again this year. It's much more likely that he will re-injure himself and miss the rest of the playoffs.

This Laker team is in no way the same as last years because of AD, let alone a hobbled LeBron. In fact, I'll just go ahead and predict the suns knock them off in the 1st round. Hide and watch. 8-)

As for the Grizz, Utah won't lose a series to them, but it could be tougher than people expect. Hopefully the team still remembers the sting of dropping a 3-1 lead last year and makes short work of this year's first round.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"

Return to Utah Jazz