ImageImageImage

Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Saturday, 4:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Saturday, 4:30PM EST) 

Post#121 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat May 22, 2021 11:19 pm

XTraderXL wrote:Pretty much a perfect game from Luka until the 4th. He got visibly tired and couldnt score in the 4th but at least he didnt force it and played smart.
KP got it going a bit in the 4th and hit all his FTs. Hopefully that momentum carries over into game 2.
Brunson, THJ and DFS did their job and were clutch.

Overall a very good game for the Mavs and a great win. I think its a 55:45 series at this point. All the Mavs have to do is win all their home games and they win the series. Exciting stuff! ;-)

Late in the 3rd, the Clips started doubling Luka. The 4th quarter started with the broadcasters interviewing Ty Lue & they asked him how he plans to slow down Luka. He said they were going to trap, and double Luka they did. I don't think "(he) couldn't score in the 4th" is accurate. He chose to pass the ball to open teammates who either knocked down shots or found a teammate with a better shot. It was beautiful to watch!

Agree with it being a 55/45 series in the Mavs favor now. A bit concerned about the adjustments the Clippers might make. It seemed like Rondo on Luka was fairly effective, and Rondo was actually knocking down triples today. That was pretty wild.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,971

Post#122 » by Archx » Sat May 22, 2021 11:21 pm

To think that THJ was just a throw in...

Read on Twitter
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#123 » by leolozon » Sat May 22, 2021 11:26 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:Pretty much a perfect game from Luka until the 4th. He got visibly tired and couldnt score in the 4th but at least he didnt force it and played smart.
KP got it going a bit in the 4th and hit all his FTs. Hopefully that momentum carries over into game 2.

Overall a very good game for the Mavs and a great win. I think its a 55:45 series at this point. All the Mavs have to do is win all their home games and they win the series. Exciting stuff! ;-)

Late in the 3rd, the Clips started doubling Luka. The 4th quarter started with the broadcasters interviewing Ty Lue & they asked him how he plans to slow down Luka. He said they were going to trap, and double Luka they did. I don't think "(he) couldn't score in the 4th" is accurate. He chose to pass the ball to open teammates who either knocked down shots or found a teammate with a better shot. It was beautiful to watch!

Agree with it being a 55/45 series in the Mavs favor now. A bit concerned about the adjustments the Clippers might make. It seemed like Rondo on Luka was fairly effective, and Rondo was actually knocking down triples today. That was pretty wild.

He still went 0/5 or 0/6 in the 4th including two air balls. He couldn't score when he tried.

I was hoping his FTs would go up in the playoffs. 4/7 can cost the team a game considering this could be a close series.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#124 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat May 22, 2021 11:28 pm

THJ is in the right spot for him. He's a streaky shooter who is more consistent because of Luka & because of the Mavs' offense. If he departs this offseason & winds up with a team like Detroit, THJ will go right back to being viewed as an overpaid/throw in player imo.

If I'm the Mavs, instead of paying THJ for his Mavs #s. I'd be looking at what players are out there who might be career 34% 3PM shooters, but could come to Dallas be 39% 3PM shooters. Those are players you don't have to pay $20 mil/year for, but you can get $20 mil a year production out of thanks to Luka.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#125 » by ejs78 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:29 pm

Was telling myself all day a win today this goes 7 and who knows who wins

A loss Clips in 6

Well.........

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#126 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat May 22, 2021 11:32 pm

leolozon wrote:... He still went 0/5 or 0/6 in the 4th including two air balls. He couldn't score when he tried.

I was hoping his FTs would go up in the playoffs. 4/7 can cost the team a game considering this could be a close series.

Fair enough but he carried the Mavs for 3 quarters, so I'm not going to hold it against him that he had one bad quarter (he still had 3 assists and a couple of hockey assists too).

The FT shooting is another thing. I was wondering if the Mavs can win a championship with Luka shooting 73% from the line, but that's basically what LeBron has shot in his championship years, so I guess the answer is yes. Would rather see Luka shooting 85% from the line, but doesn't seem like he's that type of shooter.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#127 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat May 22, 2021 11:36 pm

ejs78 wrote:Was telling myself all day a win today this goes 7 and who knows who wins

A loss Clips in 6

Well.........

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

I agree. I think if the Mavs lost this game, then they'd be looking at a must win in game 2 or it's the series, and I still would of favored the Clippers heavily. Getting this game right here is big for the Mavs.

Also, the Clippers are going to get beat up for this loss. They tanked to get the Mavs in the playoffs. Then they go lose the first game. They're already the red-headed step child in LA. This is going to test the team mentally.

I could see PG struggling again. If the Clips can't find a way to keep Zubac on the floor, I think they have big problems.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#128 » by XTraderXL » Sat May 22, 2021 11:36 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:

He didnt make any of his shots in the 4th. Ergo he could not score. He tried to score less than in the first 3 quarters but still.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#129 » by XTraderXL » Sat May 22, 2021 11:39 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
leolozon wrote:... He still went 0/5 or 0/6 in the 4th including two air balls. He couldn't score when he tried.

Fair enough but he carried the Mavs for 3 quarters, so I'm not going to hold it against him that he had one bad quarter (he still had 3 assists and a couple of hockey assists too).

The FT shooting is another thing. I was wondering if the Mavs can win a championship with Luka shooting 73% from the line, but that's basically what LeBron has shot in his championship years, so I guess the answer is yes. Would rather see Luka shooting 85% from the line, but doesn't seem like he's that type of shooter.

Nobody said he had a bad quarter. You are missinterpreting what you read.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#130 » by leolozon » Sat May 22, 2021 11:42 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:

For sure, he looked like the best player in the league for 3 quarters. It's just a shame it had to end that way shooting wise. I don't think it's a good idea to keep playing him 41 minutes.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#131 » by fuller4379 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:43 pm

Luka was the best player on the court today.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#132 » by wolfram » Sat May 22, 2021 11:54 pm

Jesus, some of you are unbearable. Obsessed with Luka's perfection. Get a grip. He is NOT PERFECT. But he was still the best player in this game. Look at Kawhi, PG, KP.. How was their overall shooting? They WON A **** GAME. Can we talk about something else than Luka in the 4th with constant double teams? His mere presence allowed Brunson and others to score. J F K
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#133 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun May 23, 2021 12:02 am

Archx wrote:To think that THJ was just a throw in...

Read on Twitter

KP was the throw in so the Knicks could dump Timmy (and Courtney Lee)'s salary. :D
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,556

Post#134 » by Bob8 » Sun May 23, 2021 12:27 am

leolozon wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

For sure, he looked like the best player in the league for 3 quarters. It's just a shame it had to end that way shooting wise. I don't think it's a good idea to keep playing him 41 minutes.

Just incredible how you don’t understand basketball. Mavericks were playing 4:3 more or less entire 4 Q. Great game by Luka and RC. Just perfect start. I hope Luka and Clippers play another 3 exactly the same 4th Q.

Mavs have won by 10 and some jokers here believe Luka should have play less? :banghead: :lol:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#135 » by HMFFL » Sun May 23, 2021 12:41 am

Great win! The three Clippers standing over Maxi as he was on the ground laughing at him is priceless because those three loss.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#136 » by Pinkyring » Sun May 23, 2021 12:52 am

Big ass win, I'll take it, we won't get another scoring effort like that from dfs more than likely so we'll need to defend better but great overall win and repeated answers in the fourth
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#137 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun May 23, 2021 12:54 am

HMFFL wrote:Great win! The three Clippers standing over Maxi as he was on the ground laughing at him is priceless because those three loss.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

I enjoyed the House of Highlights comment section on that IG post :lol:
BmanInBigD
Bench Warmer
And1: 537

Post#138 » by BmanInBigD » Sun May 23, 2021 12:55 am

LOL at ANYONE bitching about Luka's 4th quarter when our "#2" player, the $27 million man, is a no-show for pretty much the whole game. We're never gonna go past the 2nd round when we have that much tied up in a 7'3' statue that sits out 30' from the basket waiting to jack up a 3. And then show ZERO effort to go after any misses by him or anyone else. GEEZ, what a mistake locking this waste of space up.
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#139 » by leolozon » Sun May 23, 2021 12:55 am

Bob8 wrote:
leolozon wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Just incredible how you don’t understand basketball. Mavericks were playing 4:3 more or less entire 4 Q. Great game by Luka and RC. Just perfect start. I hope Luka and Clippers play another 3 exactly the same 4th Q.

Mavs have won by 10 and some jokers here believe Luka should have play less? :banghead: :lol:

I think it's incredible how you feel the need to put down others. I didn't say anything that was wrong and yet you insult me? Grow up.

If you can't even accept the fact that 0/5 or 0/6 is bad shooting, then maybe you understand less about basketball than you think.

Before insulting people, maybe you should be able to read properly what the other person is saying. Did I say that they weren't doubling him? No matter if they doubled him, he still shot poorly on shots that he can make and has hit plenty of times. If you watched the 4th, then you should know that.

You are being incredibly unpleasant for no reason. If you can't live with the fact that finishing a game 0/6 (with 2 air balls) is bad shooting, I don't know what to tell you.

And yes, I highly doubt that 41mpg is sustainable for the whole playoffs. You think it is? Based on what? I didn't even argue he should have played less, I said that "I don't think it's a good idea to keep playing him 41mpg." READ CORRECTLY before you laugh at other people.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#140 » by leolozon » Sun May 23, 2021 1:12 am

wolfram wrote:Jesus, some of you are unbearable. Obsessed with Luka's perfection. Get a grip. He is NOT PERFECT. But he was still the best player in this game. Look at Kawhi, PG, KP.. How was their overall shooting? They WON A **** GAME. Can we talk about something else than Luka in the 4th with constant double teams? His mere presence allowed Brunson and others to score. J F K

You are overreacting so much. Who said that he has to be perfect?

He had a great game, the Mavs won, plus he finished 0/6, which is worth noting because it's uncharacteristic. Why can't all that be true? What is wrong with mentioning that fact and at the same time acknowledging he was incredible for most of the game and the Mavs won?

You are making this a way bigger thing than it is. It should have been : "Oh yeah, Luka was the best player, we won, he shot badly to finish the game. Let's go to the next game."

I find it very weird.

Return to Dallas Mavericks