Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Re: Pacers Odds and Ends 

Post#201 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 24, 2021 5:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Has repeatedly called the Bleacher Report/Jake L. Fischer report “BS” or “Total False”. :dontknow:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#202 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 24, 2021 5:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#203 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 24, 2021 5:47 pm

Pritch calls Nate great at X’s and O’s But absolutely needs to get better at person management. The articles were a lot of BS, but there was something there. He thinks Nate can be a great coach but he has to improve at a lot of things.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#204 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 24, 2021 5:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#205 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 24, 2021 5:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#206 » by Wizop » Mon May 24, 2021 6:00 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
I misheard this. Here’s a correction.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Later he said he looks forward to the day he can go to Herb and ask for permission to go all in - I read that as either making a move for a star or paying tax to keep a group together. but yes, he also said trading players for picks isn't something that will never happen but it won't happen unless he feels he has a team that has reached its ceiling and that's too low. he certainly doesn't feel that way about the current group.

he did stop short of saying everyone is coming back. he certainly needs Nate to express willingness to be a better listener. he clearly wants Doug and TJ back and wasn't questioned about Aaron or Lamb and the need to clear tax overhead to resign them both.

given all the talk about needing TJ because he's a big wing defender, you'd think he'd prioritize that in his draft evaluations.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#207 » by Wizop » Mon May 24, 2021 6:03 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:The articles were a lot of BS, but there was something there.

I read the BS part as referring to reports that his coaching search failed to touch certain bases that would have discovered problems. He was defending his process.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#208 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 24, 2021 6:04 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:The articles were a lot of BS, but there was something there.

I read the BS part as referring to reports that his coaching search failed to touch certain bases that would have discovered problems. He was defending his process.

True. He never specified WHAT he thought was BS about the reports, but he was repetitive that he thought the reports were mostly BS.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#209 » by Wizop » Mon May 24, 2021 6:12 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:True. He never specified WHAT he thought was BS about the reports, but he was repetitive that he thought the reports were mostly BS.

he specifically said without prompting that he'd had at least 15 interviews "around Nate." that's was defending the hiring process.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#210 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 24, 2021 6:48 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:True. He never specified WHAT he thought was BS about the reports, but he was repetitive that he thought the reports were mostly BS.

he specifically said without prompting that he'd had at least 15 interviews "around Nate." that's was defending the hiring process.

Did he mention Brogdon at all?
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#211 » by Tom White » Mon May 24, 2021 6:51 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I was just thinking about that, and I don't think he did.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 24, 2021 6:54 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I was just thinking about that, and I don't think he did.

Yeah. He mentioned Sabonis/Turner in terms of playing together (but he was asked). He talked profusely of Warren and Levert. Talked a little of Aaron (but mostly in response to a question from Scott Agness, I think). He was asked about TJ/Doug. He mentioned Justin in responding to a question about Warren. He talked about Oshae, Goga, Sumner in a couple answers. Really don't recall him mentioning Brogdon or Lamb.

But that could also just be that he wasn't asked about them. He only brought up 3 or 4 guys in his own comments. The rest were mostly just in response to questions.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#213 » by Wizop » Mon May 24, 2021 6:59 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Did he mention Brogdon at all?

he said something like: "statistically, he had a very good year."
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#214 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 24, 2021 7:33 pm

Wizop wrote:

Thanks, you're right. Might have just been that Brogdon had a fine enough year. :dontknow:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#215 » by Wizop » Mon May 24, 2021 8:08 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Thanks, you're right. Might have just been that Brogdon had a fine enough year. :dontknow:

I think his reference to statistically or numbers or whatever exactly he said matters. I thought it hinted that the numbers were better than something else. not sure what. defense? leadership? on court team cohesion? maybe sort of if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#216 » by Tom White » Mon May 24, 2021 8:49 pm

Wizop wrote:I think his reference to statistically or numbers or whatever exactly he said matters. I thought it hinted that the numbers were better than something else. not sure what. defense? leadership? on court team cohesion? maybe sort of if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

As in "The stats don't tell the entire story"?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#217 » by Topofthekey » Tue May 25, 2021 12:26 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:Even when we are fully healthy, those other teams have better players. If we want to get to their level, changes will need to be made. Numerous changes.

I'll admit my personal bias. I'd rather watch five good players play together than one great player and four "just guys." But I am old enough to remember four Pacers going to the left side of the floor so Roger Brown could be isolated on the right side.

Pritchard talking about that if you can’t get the best of the best, he wants 5 really good guys, so you guys likely have that in common.

Also talking about need to defend better. Keeps talking about missing TJ Warren and him being that “wing to defend those guys”

Danced around the “Is Nate staying” quite a bit. Sounded like he didn’t want to plunge the knife in, but definitely didn’t give him a vote of confidence. Acknowledged Nate was a micro-manager, and the players said that. However, said that the players liked him in the locker room, but that didn’t “carry over onto the court”?

I'm not sure LeVert qualifies as really good, though

When the team acquired him, I said I think he's going to be a very nice player, and I still think so. But there's clearly a gap between him and Myles and Domas, the two players on the team who I would consider really good

Brogdon is kind of on the fence to me

Warren, if he's bubble Warren, qualifies
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#218 » by Topofthekey » Tue May 25, 2021 12:27 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:From Pritchard:

Don’t expect the team to deal multiple picks for a player. “That’s not a tool in our wheelhouse”.

Not looking to “dive In” (dealing picks) or dive out “dealing talent for picks”.

“I didn’t know how important a TJ Warren and his 20 points and defense was”

Talked about how we can’t just make moves to play like anyone else, but have to be unique a bit.

25 minutes in and he’s mostly talked about missing TJ Warren, and really talked about TJ as being a key player going forward. Second most talked about is Caris Levert and the vision he has for Caris and getting healthier.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sounds like he either wants to flip the roster and trade up in the draft, or just exit the draft altogether and use #13 in a trade to upgrade the roster
Wizop
RealGM

Post#219 » by Wizop » Tue May 25, 2021 12:34 am

Topofthekey wrote:I'm not sure LeVert qualifies as really good,

So you think a 25 point a game scorer is our weakest starter?

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#220 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 25, 2021 12:35 am

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:From Pritchard:

Don’t expect the team to deal multiple picks for a player. “That’s not a tool in our wheelhouse”.

Not looking to “dive In” (dealing picks) or dive out “dealing talent for picks”.

“I didn’t know how important a TJ Warren and his 20 points and defense was”

Talked about how we can’t just make moves to play like anyone else, but have to be unique a bit.

25 minutes in and he’s mostly talked about missing TJ Warren, and really talked about TJ as being a key player going forward. Second most talked about is Caris Levert and the vision he has for Caris and getting healthier.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sounds like he either wants to flip the roster and trade up in the draft, or just exit the draft altogether and use #13 in a trade to upgrade the roster

In that discussion "in" did not mean trading out of the draft.

Return to Indiana Pacers