Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Pentele
Sophomore
And1: 176

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#801 » by Pentele » Tue May 25, 2021 6:37 pm

IMO, it would be a bad career move for Lauri to take the QO because there is a considerable risk that it is going to be a totally wasted year. It is safe to say that the way Lauri is perceived around the league does not get any better after a complete year of warming the bench, probably much worse. It only makes sense if Lauri has a very clear vision about the teams, or one particular team, in which he wants to play, and he does not mind the prospect of leaving a lot of money on the table to make it happen. And by leaving a lot of money on the table I do not mean the QO per se but that he were ready to take a considerable pay cut as a FA to fit right in to a certain team. There are not many that put would consider it; it remains to be seen if Lauri is one of those guys.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,694

Post#802 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue May 25, 2021 6:59 pm

madvillian wrote:What sort of trade implications would the QQ entail? Just have to match salaries still? What salary is Lauri likely to even be on at the QO? Not much, right? He'd be insane to take it but who knows.

A little over $9 million and I believe it includes a no-trade clause.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#803 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue May 25, 2021 7:25 pm

sco wrote:https://pippenainteasy.com/2021/05/24/lauri-markkanen-potential-destinations/

meh

What meh... a very good read. At least much better and more insightful than some of the hot takes in this very thread.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Post#804 » by sco » Tue May 25, 2021 7:30 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
sco wrote:https://pippenainteasy.com/2021/05/24/lauri-markkanen-potential-destinations/

meh

What meh... a very good read. At least much better and more insightful than some of the hot takes in this very thread.

SA - nothing that hasn't been said 100x. I would be thrilled if he went to either CLE or ATL - both terrible fits.
:clap:
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#805 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue May 25, 2021 7:41 pm

sco wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

meh

SA - nothing that hasn't been said 100x. I would be thrilled if he went to either CLE or ATL - both terrible fits.

Fair enough, yet that doesn't contradict nor support anything I said.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,788

Post#806 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue May 25, 2021 8:13 pm

Pentele wrote:IMO, it would be a bad career move for Lauri to take the QO because there is a considerable risk that it is going to be a totally wasted year. It is safe to say that the way Lauri is perceived around the league does not get any better after a complete year of warming the bench, probably much worse. It only makes sense if Lauri has a very clear vision about the teams, or one particular team, in which he wants to play, and he does not mind the prospect of leaving a lot of money on the table to make it happen. And by leaving a lot of money on the table I do not mean the QO per se but that he were ready to take a considerable pay cut as a FA to fit right in to a certain team. There are not many that put would consider it; it remains to be seen if Lauri is one of those guys.

He would only take the QO if they told him he would start. But it would still be a gamble that he would start all season, but he would be betting on himself.
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#807 » by Louri » Tue May 25, 2021 8:27 pm

If Lauri takes QO, then he could have more possibilities to choose team next year?

That would be the only reason why he could choose staying with Bulls (wife is other reason ofc, but I don't buy that.. just kidding, I do buy that.)

Then he could go to Dallas to join with euro friends next season. He doesn't care about money so that is not problem.
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
Pentele
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#808 » by Pentele » Tue May 25, 2021 8:44 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Pentele wrote:IMO, it would be a bad career move for Lauri to take the QO because there is a considerable risk that it is going to be a totally wasted year. It is safe to say that the way Lauri is perceived around the league does not get any better after a complete year of warming the bench, probably much worse. It only makes sense if Lauri has a very clear vision about the teams, or one particular team, in which he wants to play, and he does not mind the prospect of leaving a lot of money on the table to make it happen. And by leaving a lot of money on the table I do not mean the QO per se but that he were ready to take a considerable pay cut as a FA to fit right in to a certain team. There are not many that put would consider it; it remains to be seen if Lauri is one of those guys.

He would only take the QO if they told him he would start. But it would still be a gamble that he would start all season, but he would be betting on himself.

Yeah, Lauri would certainly require that. But it is still possible for him to play limited minutes only while starting, especially if the PF gridlock continues, and that should obviously be a no no from his standpoint. I do not think Lauri can much count on any good will in that respect, not after how his situation was handled by the Bulls in the latter half of the season.
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#809 » by GrowingHorns » Tue May 25, 2021 9:43 pm

Louri wrote:If Lauri takes QO, then he could have more possibilities to choose team next year?

That would be the only reason why he could choose staying with Bulls (wife is other reason ofc, but I don't buy that.. just kidding, I do buy that.)

Then he could go to Dallas to join with euro friends next season. He doesn't care about money so that is not problem.

Uh... Let's stop this for good. Players do care about money bc it guarantees certain status in their respected teams. true, he probably is set for life with his earnings so far, but playing for significantly lower wages he could get means he is more easily shoved to warming bench if things get hard.
Swuul
Junior
And1: 276

Post#810 » by Swuul » Wed May 26, 2021 6:06 am

GrowingHorns wrote:Uh... Let's stop this for good. Players do care about money bc it guarantees certain status in their respected teams. true, he probably is set for life with his earnings so far, but playing for significantly lower wages he could get means he is more easily shoved to warming bench if things get hard.

Bulls offered Lauri $11 mio/year, for three years. His QO is a bit short of $10 mio for one year (plus he'd gets veto on trades). The money is essentially the same if he takes the Bulls offer or if the takes the QO, the difference being he is in control where and when to go if things don't work out with Bulls.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who can't.
DunkenDunk
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#811 » by DunkenDunk » Wed May 26, 2021 6:56 am

FranchisePlayer wrote:
sco wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

Or Memphis, young team with Morant as a pg.
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,310

Post#812 » by d boy gentleman » Thu May 27, 2021 1:49 am

My guess is that Lauri signs the qualifying offer and becomes a UFA. While I believe that Lauri's team would advise against that and let him sign an offer sheet, I believe that this option is definitely on the table.
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#813 » by Dez » Thu May 27, 2021 2:28 am

FranchisePlayer wrote:

meh

Ah yes the old "if it's not the same opinion I have then it's wrong" line of thinking.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,099

Post#814 » by Hugi Mancura » Thu May 27, 2021 8:30 pm

Danger for signing QO is that why would Bulls play him? They can't trade him (unless he accepts the trade) and he will be UFA in the end of the season. So Bulls would lose him for nothing and before losing him his salary would count (even in the summer) on the salary cap. So QO would be lose-lose situation for both.
sco
RealGM

Post#815 » by sco » Thu May 27, 2021 8:34 pm

Hugi Mancura wrote:Danger for signing QO is that why would Bulls play him? They can't trade him (unless he accepts the trade) and he will be UFA in the end of the season. So Bulls would lose him for nothing and before losing him his salary would count (even in the summer) on the salary cap. So QO would be lose-lose situation for both.

It could be a good situation. It is entirely possible the Bulls stretch and waive Thad - if the Bulls swing for the fences for a top PG and Theis goes somewhere else.

The Bulls could have an agreement if he will otherwise be benched to try to work a trade to a team he wants to be on.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#816 » by CobyWhite0 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:54 pm

Hugi Mancura wrote:Danger for signing QO is that why would Bulls play him? They can't trade him (unless he accepts the trade) and he will be UFA in the end of the season. So Bulls would lose him for nothing and before losing him his salary would count (even in the summer) on the salary cap. So QO would be lose-lose situation for both.

Are you saying that he will count against the cap next summer (2022) if he signs the QO? Because that's not the case.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,099

Post#817 » by Hugi Mancura » Thu May 27, 2021 8:57 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:

Are you saying that he will count against the cap next summer (2022) if he signs the QO? Because that's not the case.

No, this summer... So it would make harder to sign PG.
sco
RealGM

Post#818 » by sco » Thu May 27, 2021 9:40 pm

Didn't see this posted https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/basketball/nba/player-news#team=191&page=1

Bulls executive VP of basketball operations Arturas Karnisovas said earlier this week that the team hopes to keep restricted free agent Lauri Markkanen.
While Markkanen has shown flashes of the potential that made him the seventh overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, the 2020-21 season was a difficult one for him. Limited to 51 games (20 starts) due to injury, Markkanen averaged career-lows in points (13.6 ppg), rebounds (5.3 rpg), assists (0.9 apg), steals (0.5 spg) and blocks (0.3 bpg), but his percentages from the field and from three were career-highs. Given the addition of Nikola Vucevic it's fair to wonder where Markkanen fits in Chicago, but Karnisovas has defended the fourth-year forward on multiple occasions. "I’ve got limited stuff that I can obviously be permitted to comment on regarding that, but I thought Lauri had a good year," Karnisovas said. "I thought he was more efficient. He’s a 40% three-point shooter. You know shooting comes at a premium in our league, and I think Lauri is an essential part of our team. We hope he is a part of what we’re building here, so I’m looking forward to free agency and talking to his representation." According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Markkanen (privately) would like to land in Dallas, but there are questions about the fit given the presence of Kristaps Porzingis. Chicago will have the ability to match any offer that Markkanen receives.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,250

Post#819 » by Mk0 » Fri May 28, 2021 8:09 am

DunkenDunk wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:
sco wrote:SA - nothing that hasn't been said 100x. I would be thrilled if he went to either CLE or ATL - both terrible fits.

Or Memphis, young team with Morant as a pg.

Memphis has JJJ who has had a lot of the same issues as Lauri. Injury history, doesn't play to his height, mainly a spot up shooter and trying to find his place between Ja/Val
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,303

Post#820 » by coldfish » Fri May 28, 2021 2:44 pm

Hardaway Jr. going off is good for the Bulls. Dallas will have to use up their functional capspace to re-sign him.

If Dallas wants Lauri, they would have to do a sign and trade. More likely than not, it just takes one potential suitor out.

Return to Chicago Bulls