Round 1, Game 2: Utah Jazz vs Memphis Grizzlies

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Round 1, Game 2: Utah Jazz vs Memphis Grizzlies 

Post#1 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon May 24, 2021 1:27 pm

Well, the first game didn't go as planned. Already my GTS prediction for the series is worthless (much respect to the Grizzlies). I wonder if Mitchell will be cleared to play for this game.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: Round 1, Game 2: Utah Jazz vs Memphis Grizzlies 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Mon May 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Well, the first game didn't go as planned. Already my GTS prediction for the series is worthless (much respect to the Grizzlies). I wonder if Mitchell will be cleared to play for this game.

I think if they don’t play him, Donny will be really unhappy, and the Rudy-Donny spat will seem like child’s play.
Ingles is cooked.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#3 » by FJS » Mon May 24, 2021 3:47 pm

I always have thought this is a 4-2 Jazz. Not because Grizz are a pretty good team (They are building a good one, but still they aren't) but for our weak trust in ourselves.
With Donovan I think we'll change, and not due to him taking care, but generating opportunities for others and taking pressure from them.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#4 » by AingesBurner » Mon May 24, 2021 4:01 pm

We need Mitchell to spread the offense! The Gobert pick and roll does not work without him. Shooters cannot space without him.
Ingles is cooked.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#5 » by Crunch 99 » Mon May 24, 2021 6:49 pm

ESPN is reporting that DM is angry at being held out of game one. The story goes on to suggest that our new part owner, Hall of Famer Dwayne Wade, could get involved to smooth out tensions and provide some additional, useful perspective concerning coming back from an ankle injury.

If DM felt he could go yesterday, maybe everyone will get to a point where they feel DM is ready to go by the time Wednesday's game two rolls around. Go Jazz!

Donovan Mitchell angry at Utah Jazz for late call to sit him for Game 1, sources say.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31503670/donovan-mitchell-angry-utah-jazz-late-call-sit-game-1-sources-say
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#6 » by AingesBurner » Mon May 24, 2021 7:20 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:ESPN is reporting that DM is angry at being held out of game one. The story goes on to suggest that our new part owner, Hall of Famer Dwayne Wade, could get involved, smooth tensions and provide some additional, useful perspective concerning coming back from an ankle injury.

If DM felt he could go yesterday, maybe everyone will get to a point where they feel DM is ready to go by the time Wednesday's game two rolls around. Go Jazz!

Donovan Mitchell angry at Utah Jazz for late call to sit him for Game 1, sources say.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31503670/donovan-mitchell-angry-utah-jazz-late-call-sit-game-1-sources-say

The comments on Twitter are entertaining. A Celtics fan said that they would send Kemba, and garbage for Donny thinking that’s fair :lol: never change Celtics fans.
Ingles is cooked.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#7 » by Crunch 99 » Mon May 24, 2021 10:17 pm

This time for sure? Jazz announce Donovan Mitchell will be available for Game 2
https://www.ksl.com/article/50172713/this-time-for-sure-jazz-announce-donovan-mitchell-will-be-available-for-game-2
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#8 » by MTJazzv3 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:35 pm

The General Board has some hilarious takes on the Game 1 loss and the role of no Mitchell on that. Seriously, dropping Game 1 by 3 points is no big deal given the azz play by a bunch of guys. Without Mitchell the Jazz can beat the Grizz in 7. Great news that DM is back at least for Game 2. It would be nice to go 5-1 and get more rest. Will be interesting to see what DM's minutes restrictions are but I hope they are conservative. Thank the gods we have longtime Mitchell mentor DWADE in the corner. That guy has massive experience with injuries during the playoffs - and a long productive career. Bringing Wade into the organization is likely, in the moment, already starting to pay dividends with Mitchell's/team development. (You know he's been talking with DM and the organization about this latest kerfuffle).
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#9 » by MTJazzv3 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:36 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:The General Board has some hilarious takes on the Game 1 loss and the role of no Mitchell on that. Seriously, dropping Game 1 by 3 points is no big deal given the azz play by a bunch of guys. Without Mitchell the Jazz can beat the Grizz in 7. Great news that DM is back at least for Game 2. It would be nice to go 4-1 and get him even more rest. Will be interesting to see what DM's minutes restrictions are but I hope they are conservative. Thank the gods we have longtime Mitchell mentor DWADE in the corner. That guy has massive experience with injuries during the playoffs - and a long productive career. Bringing Wade into the organization is likely, in the moment, already starting to pay dividends with Mitchell's/team development. (You know he's been talking with DM and the organization about this latest kerfuffle).
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#10 » by @ndrew » Tue May 25, 2021 1:02 am

I hope Bogey can give his best tomorrow. I believe in him, he truly can evolve and create some damage for Memphis in open space
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#11 » by @ndrew » Tue May 25, 2021 1:02 am

And we need to rebound ball better. It’s really hard to Rudy alone, so everyone needs to be involved.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#12 » by Catchall » Tue May 25, 2021 5:19 am

I really don't think the Jazz can shoot worse than they did.
I hope that Rudy and Mike don't get into foul trouble like they did.
I think the Jazz will benefit from having another couple of days/practices to prep for Memphis.
Oh, and adding Donovan and his 30+ points will be a big shot in the arm.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#13 » by MTJazzv3 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:41 pm

How much rust people expecting to see on Mitchell? Minutes restrictions? The Jazz need a statement game for these pesky Grizzlies. Having another scorer on the floor is also going to thin their defense.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#14 » by AingesBurner » Tue May 25, 2021 9:11 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:How much rust people expecting to see on Mitchell? Minutes restrictions? The Jazz need a statement game for these pesky Grizzlies. Having another scorer on the floor is also going to thin their defense.

He will be rusty but I expect his gravity to spread the offense out.
Ingles is cooked.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#15 » by zero24gravity » Tue May 25, 2021 10:57 pm

I suspect the extra day between game 1 & game 2 had something to do with holding Mitchell out of game 1. They probably figured they could win and give Donovan 3 more days "just in case". Definitely won't be worth it if Donovan stews on it, but my thought is that everything will be fine once they win the series (in 5 or 6 games).

As for game 2... The team needs so show a lot more focus. If not for the 8 TO's in the first quarter, then despite their shooting woes, they likely burry the Grizz in game 1, and never look back, taking the hearts out of Memphis. Instead, they let a young & hard-playing team stick around (and take it to the Jazz) & now their confidence is at an all time high. First quarter needs to be clean & a clear statement about who the Grizzlies are dealing with. If not, it'll likely be another war, and I don't love the Jazz when they get into overly physical games. They are more a finesse team.
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#16 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:12 am

zero24gravity wrote:I suspect the extra day between game 1 & game 2 had something to do with holding Mitchell out of game 1. They probably figured they could win and give Donovan 3 more days "just in case". Definitely won't be worth it if Donovan stews on it, but my thought is that everything will be fine once they win the series (in 5 or 6 games).

As for game 2... The team needs so show a lot more focus. If not for the 8 TO's in the first quarter, then despite their shooting woes, they likely burry the Grizz in game 1, and never look back, taking the hearts out of Memphis. Instead, they let a young & hard-playing team stick around (and take it to the Jazz) & now their confidence is at an all time high. First quarter needs to be clean & a clear statement about who the Grizzlies are dealing with. If not, it'll likely be another war, and I don't love the Jazz when they get into overly physical games. They are more a finesse team.

Totally agree with that assessment. But its the playoffs and the physical play is on. Crowder would be a perfect fit right now. I don't think any of us fans know how the Jazz will fare in the fire based on the last many years of playoff washouts but I think this team's construction is capable of hunting deep despite the finesse oriented play to-date.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#17 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed May 26, 2021 3:18 am

When Japan bombed Pearl harbor, I remember hearing someone say they just woke a sleeping giant. I have a feeling the Grizz woke a sleeping giant and the rust will be gone and the fire will get real HOT! Jazz by 20!
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#18 » by zero24gravity » Wed May 26, 2021 2:59 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:I suspect the extra day between game 1 & game 2 had something to do with holding Mitchell out of game 1. They probably figured they could win and give Donovan 3 more days "just in case". Definitely won't be worth it if Donovan stews on it, but my thought is that everything will be fine once they win the series (in 5 or 6 games).

Totally agree with that assessment. But its the playoffs and the physical play is on. Crowder would be a perfect fit right now. I don't think any of us fans know how the Jazz will fare in the fire based on the last many years of playoff washouts but I think this team's construction is capable of hunting deep despite the finesse oriented play to-date.

Also hope Donovan doesn't come out trying too hard. Needs to stay within the system. He's a very smart payer, so I think he'll be ok. ... But he's also a very passionate player, and could get caught up in the "benching". I'm SO looking forward to tonight's game.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#19 » by ducler » Wed May 26, 2021 8:42 pm

Read on Twitter
Soul Patch
RealGM
And1: 920

Post#20 » by Soul Patch » Thu May 27, 2021 2:48 am

Ball don’t lie!