Image ImageImage Image

The Summer The Bulls Need To Have

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Re: The Summer The Bulls Need To Have 

Post#21 » by sco » Tue May 25, 2021 1:36 pm

1) Does anyone actually think Siakam is gettable with our assets?

2) If we could somehow nab Siakam, does anyone think there is better player we would somehow nab otherwise?
:clap:
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#22 » by Chi town » Wed May 26, 2021 1:22 am

Coby you’re thinking right but I’d take Van Fleet Lowry OG from the Raps before Siakam.

We need a CP3 and we can become like the Suns with Lavine taking a step and hoping for PW or Coby taking some steps too.

Lowry would probably impact winning for us next season more than anyone except Kawhi.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#23 » by Am2626 » Fri May 28, 2021 1:46 am

Chi town wrote:Coby you’re thinking right but I’d take Van Fleet Lowry OG from the Raps before Siakam.

We need a CP3 and we can become like the Suns with Lavine taking a step and hoping for PW or Coby taking some steps too.

Lowry would probably impact winning for us next season more than anyone except Kawhi.

I think Conley Jr. would be a better fit than Lowry for the Bulls.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,803

Post#24 » by kulaz3000 » Fri May 28, 2021 1:59 am

Am2626 wrote:
Chi town wrote:Coby you’re thinking right but I’d take Van Fleet Lowry OG from the Raps before Siakam.

I'd be happy with either, but we need someone who has more of a presences and voice like Lowry who won't be afraid to get up in the younger players faces. Conley is more of a Thad Young type, but we need a mix of more dynamic personalities, because right now, we don't have enough of a mean dog like presence.
Why so serious?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#25 » by Chi town » Fri May 28, 2021 2:30 am

Am2626 wrote:

Conley has said multiple times he wants to retire with the Jazz.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#26 » by Am2626 » Fri May 28, 2021 2:54 am

Chi town wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

Conley has said multiple times he wants to retire with the Jazz.

If the Jazz have an early playoff exit that could change Conley Jr’s mind. It would really be a big disappointment if the Grizzlies beat them.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 566

Post#27 » by Almost Retired » Fri May 28, 2021 3:57 am

Am2626 wrote:

Conley...the protypical Bull....will play 35 games a season for us and watch the rest from his seat wearing street clothes due to one type of injury or another. What we need is another Miracle Draft, like the one we gifted into Derrick Rose. This time we add Cade Cunningham and win the East next year. Zach, TBJ, Cade, PAW and Vooch. Bench: Coby, Sato, Thad, Temple, Theis, Aminu. Add Isaiah Todd from the Draft. Add a couple FAs to complete the roster. We'd need a another "5" at least.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#28 » by TheStig » Fri May 28, 2021 5:19 am

So I think we keep the roster, resign Lauri, look for a big wing for the MLE and trade Sato and Coby for Lowry in a sign and trade for 3/60. I'd rather do a Lauri for Lowry sign and trade but I don't think Toronto will want him.

Lowry/Exemption signing
Lavine/MLE signing
Pwill/MLE Signing/Aminu
Theis/Lauri/Thad/Aminu
Vuc/Theis/Thad
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#29 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:13 am

CobyWhite0 wrote:http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=81025582360ab610585139247911216

Here's what the Bulls need to do this summer to keep Zach around and get as closed to a guaranteed top-4 East team as you can get this summer with what we have to work with.

First, clear out all the cap space you can. Renounce everyone.

Vuc
Zach
Thad
Aminu
Sato
Mr. Patrick Williams
Coby
TBJ

Gets you to just over $21 mil in cap space.

S&T Lonzo for Sato and 2 2nd-rounders. Lonzo gets $19.1 mil 1st-year, it's 3/60 or 4/82.

Vuc
Zach
Thad
Aminu
Lonzo
Mr. Patrick Williams
Coby
TBJ
$3.3 million in cap space
$4.9 million Room MLE

Trade: Thad, Aminu, TBJ to TOR for Siakam

TOR gets: CHI 1st-round 2025 and 2027 unprotected

TOR gets: Option to swap with CHI 1st-round 2022 and 2024 and 2026 (if no swap, TOR gets our 2nd rounder unprotected)

So TOR gets 2 unprotected 1st's and 3 unprotected 2nd's. And a young talent to look at for a year in TBJ. Plus they can probably get a late 1st from a contender for Thad.

That's the kind of deals that All-Stars are getting traded for. Of course, if they'll take less, that's even better.

TOR seems to be rebuilding, and Siakam clashed with the front office, it only makes sense they don't want to pay him $30 mil the next 3 years to ruin their tank errrr I mean rebuild. And he's not really a #1 guy, but as a #3 guy on offense here who defends at PF? I can't think of a better (realistically available) fit.

After Temple and Green re-sign for their vet min, and Simonovic comes over for his league minimum-

You wind up with this:

Vuc - Simonovic
Siakam
Mr. Patrick Williams - Temple
Zach - Green
Lonzo - Coby

$3.3 million in cap space
$4.9 million Room MLE

Obviously, you need to spend your extra cap space and the Room MLE on big men.

Then you'll have 4 veteran minimums and two 2-way deals.

A good big 3 of recent All-Stars, and our little three of Lonzo, Coby and Mr. Patrick Williams isn't a bad youth movement. With that roster, you'll get a couple of "really good" vet min guys.

So to "rebuild" the Raptors trade an all star who is under contract for three more years, for first round picks that they don't receive until after that all star's contract expires. Makes sense.
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#30 » by Southpaw » Wed Jun 2, 2021 9:21 am

TheStig wrote:So I think we keep the roster, resign Lauri, look for a big wing for the MLE and trade Sato and Coby for Lowry in a sign and trade for 3/60. I'd rather do a Lauri for Lowry sign and trade but I don't think Toronto will want him.

Lowry/Exemption signing
Lavine/MLE signing
Pwill/MLE Signing/Aminu
Theis/Lauri/Thad/Aminu
Vuc/Theis/Thad

That's actually a solid team that I can get behind. With better chemistry from Lavine and Vuc, Lowry's leadership and experience and improvement from Lauri and specially Pwill, we can be around 4-6 in the East.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#31 » by MGB8 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:15 pm

Ideal summer, assuming no top 4 draft pick, IMO would be:

(1) trading Sato, Aminu, some money (to make up the 2M in salary difference) and a current or future 2nd for Rubio.
(2) dual sign and trade - Lauri for Derozan
(3) resign Theis with bird rights, ditto Temple as a sort of player-coach
(4) and, I can't believe I am writing this, use however much of the MLE necessary to bring Cam Payne back.

Depth chart:

pg: Rubio, Payne
sg: LaVine, White
w: Derozan, T.Brown.Jr, Temple
f: P.Williams, Theis
c: Vuc, Thad

Maybe you fill that out with a vet min center with size, bring over Simonovic as a deep reserve forward, and add a prospect PG if Doctson isn't playable, but the above could be a very dangerous team assuming Pat develops a bit and no serious dropoffs from anyone outside of maybe Temple, and that:

(1) Rubio's issues this season had more to do with Russell demanding to play PG and Rubio thus being basically frozen out when Russell was around (plus bad coaching early on),

(2) Derozan's now passable defense doesn't disappear outside of San Antonio and he can return to Toronto level 3 point shooting, and

(3) Cam Payne really has become an above average backup PG who can start in pinches.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,170

Post#32 » by coldfish » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:17 pm

The Summer the Bulls need to have:

1. Win draft lottery, draft Cunningham
2. .....
3. Profit
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#33 » by MGB8 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:27 pm

Alternatives to the above might include:

(1) make the Rubio trade, but not adding Derozan and instead trading Lauri for a cap exception and very protected 2022 first round pick, while addressing the need for another combo-forward or wing by trying to hit on a "value/upside" play with a guy like Justise Winslow, Georges Niang, maybe Sterling Brown etc., or using the MLE try to upgrade over Temple with an Alec Burks, Bullock, Josh Richardson (but not adding Cam Payne or a more than low level exception type reserve PG);

Or, a riskier move,

(2) trade Coby, S&T Lauri, and Aminu (for cap filler) to Portland for CJ McCullom if the Blazers decide to blow up the Dame/CJ pairing.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,194

Post#34 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:29 am

MGB8 wrote:Alternatives to the above might include:

(1) make the Rubio trade, but not adding Derozan and instead trading Lauri for a cap exception and very protected 2022 first round pick, while addressing the need for another combo-forward or wing by trying to hit on a "value/upside" play with a guy like Justise Winslow, Georges Niang, maybe Sterling Brown etc., or using the MLE try to upgrade over Temple with an Alec Burks, Bullock, Josh Richardson (but not adding Cam Payne or a more than low level exception type reserve PG);

Or, a riskier move,

(2) trade Coby, S&T Lauri, and Aminu (for cap filler) to Portland for CJ McCullom if the Blazers decide to blow up the Dame/CJ pairing.

I can't stand the way CJ looks. I would have to become a fan of another team if that happened.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,220

Post#35 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:58 am

Ways to get better

1. NBA Draft
2. Free agency
3. Trades
4. Internal Growth

1 is off the table. And the Bulls don’t have a ton of cap space, so it kind of leaves 3 and 4. I think the Bulls need to continue to look to making trades, using the few assets they have, and admit it may mean taking on more bad money to improve the team. Looking for good 2 way players that fit around Lavine and Vuc.

Deal 1: Signed and traded Lauri for Brunson, Josh Richardson, and Dwight Powell.

Powell is the ugly money here. The Bulls get a good wing, a good 2 way point guard, and don’t lose Lauri for nothing. Dallas actually lowers their salary in this deal (assuming Lauri is 16-20 million starting salary) and get a guy they’ve been linked to in Lauri. This allows them to easily resign THJ and maybe have more space, who has been playing better than JRich.

Deal 2: Bulls trade Young, Sato, Coby, Arch
Boston trades Robert Williams, Kemba Walker
Pelicans trade Ball, Bledsoe, Hayes

Bulls receive Ball (S&T), Bledsoe, and Robert Williams

Bulls take on some more ugly money in Bledsoe, but get their point guard of the future, and a perfect starting 4 next to Vuc. Pelicans get Kemba as a leader and to help take pressure off Zion, and Boston gets good young complementary pieces to surround Brown and Tatum, and shaves a ton of future salary.

Ball, Brunson
Lavine, Richardson, Bledsoe
Pat Williams, Richardson, TBJ
Robert Williams, Theis
Vucevic, Robert Williams, Powell

Lavine and Vucevic are surrounded by really good defenders.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by heir_jordan22 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:07 am

Option 1
1. Bulls win lottery. Draft Cunningham.
Draft Ibou Dianko Badji in round 2.
2. Trade Markkanen and White for John Collins
3. Sign Derrick Rose with MLE
4. Re-sign Theis with bird rights
5. Sign Batum, Temple with vet min

Cunningham/Rose/Arci
LaVine/Sato/Temple
Williams/Batum/Brown
Collins/Young/Theis
Vucevic/Theis/Badji

Option 2
1. Bulls win lottery.
2. Trade #1 overall, 2 additional FRPs and 2 FRP swaps, plus Markkanen and White or Young and Sato for Lillard.
3. Draft Badji in round 2
4. Trade Markkanen and White or Young and Sato for John Collins
5. Sign Rose with MLE
6. Re-sign Theis with bird rights
7. Sign Whiteside, Batum, Temple and Javonte Green with vet min

Lillard/Rose/Arci
LaVine/Rose/Temple/Green
Williams/Batum/Brown
Collins/Theis/Aminu
Vucevice/Whiteside/Badji
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#37 » by gobullschi » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:21 pm

John freaking Wall.

He’s the one player that offers the most upside that doesn’t cost the Bulls any valuable assets....They would actually acquire assets for eating his salary, which is something the Bulls can handle because of LaVines and Vucevic’s under market contracts.

Yes, there is some health risk, but that risk can be managed by reducing his minutes (career avg 36MPG) and resting him on some back to backs. Coby White and Troy Brown Jr. could step in and get increased minutes during those stretches. (Yay - player development!)

What other options do the Bulls really even have? Mike Conley isn’t leaving Utah. Lonzo will end up in NY, DAL, MIA or stay in NO. Kyle Lowry is 35 years old. Yes, the Bulls have a new front office willing to make changes, but failing to make the playoffs, cold weather, & high taxes are all hurdles they won’t be able to overcome.

Trade #1:
Houston Receives:
Eric Bledsoe, Al-Farouq Aminu, & Tomas Satoransky

Chicago Receives:
John Wall, Kenyon Martin Jr., #35, 2022 1st (BKN), & 2022 1st (LA)

New Orleans Receives:
Thaddeus Young & Ryan Arcidiacano

Trade #2:
Chicago Receives:
Chris Boucher

Toronto Receives:
Lauri Markkanen, 2022 1st (LA), & 2022 1st (BKN)

John Wall / Coby White / Devon Dotson
Zach LaVine / Troy Brown Jr.
Patrick Williams / Kenyon Martin Jr. / Garrett Temple
Chris Boucher / Trey Murphy III (#36) / JT Thor (#38)
Nikola Vucevic / Daniel Theis
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,194

Post#38 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:17 pm

gobullschi wrote:John freaking Wall.

He’s the one player that offers the most upside that doesn’t cost the Bulls any valuable assets....They would actually acquire assets for eating his salary, which is something the Bulls can handle because of LaVines and Vucevic’s under market contracts.

Yes, there is some health risk, but that risk can be managed by reducing his minutes (career avg 36MPG) and resting him on some back to backs. Coby White and Troy Brown Jr. could step in and get increased minutes during those stretches. (Yay - player development!)

What other options do the Bulls really even have? Mike Conley isn’t leaving Utah. Lonzo will end up in NY, DAL, MIA or stay in NO. Kyle Lowry is 35 years old. Yes, the Bulls have a new front office willing to make changes, but failing to make the playoffs, cold weather, & high taxes are all hurdles they won’t be able to overcome.

Trade #1:
Houston Receives:

Chicago Receives:

New Orleans Receives:

Trade #2:
Chicago Receives:
Chris Boucher

Toronto Receives:

Houston wants picks for Wall... I mean they want to get off the salary but in these tank cases they want picks back. Wall is way overpaid but I don’t hate what he brings. Just not sure what Houston agrees to for him though. You are also stuck with Wall for the rest of his contract and as you said health is a huge question along with the salary.
xpmar9x
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#39 » by xpmar9x » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:55 pm

[streamable][/streamable]
coldfish wrote:The Summer the Bulls need to have:

1. Win draft lottery, draft Cunningham
2. .....
3. Profit

This times 10000.

Drafting Cade is the true game changer this franchise needs. True point, 6'8, elite potential on defense, & improving J. Would be perfect next to Lavine and make for a tall and impossible to guard back court. Even if we get 2-4, we're still getting 1 of Suggs, Mobley, Green, or Kuminga. Suggs obviously would be a perfect fit. I wouldn't mind starting Mobley at PF either.

Regardless, if we land Cade or Suggs.. DeRozan becomes my #1 option. Only 31, can play multiple positions, coming off a 21p/7a year. Hopefully via S&T w/ Lauri.

Cade - Sato
Lavine - Coby - TBJ
Derozan - PWILL
Thad - PWILL
Vuc - Samonvic

If we miss out on Suggs/Cade.. we 100% have to find a PG via FA. Obviously Zo is the name, but Dinwiddie and Shroeder are two others I wouldn't mind..
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by heir_jordan22 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:24 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
gobullschi wrote:John freaking Wall.

Trade #1:
Houston Receives:

Chicago Receives:

New Orleans Receives:

Trade #2:
Chicago Receives:
Chris Boucher

Toronto Receives:

Houston wants picks for Wall... I mean they want to get off the salary but in these tank cases they want picks back. Wall is way overpaid but I don’t hate what he brings. Just not sure what Houston agrees to for him though. You are also stuck with Wall for the rest of his contract and as you said health is a huge question along with the salary.

I'm all for trading for Wall if we don't win the lottery and can't get an all-star who decides they want out (like Lillard). I think the issue is that the Rkckets would not give up additional assets, especially if they have to take on a long term contract. Bledsoe's contract is just as long as Wall's and he is also overpaid. I think they I'll expect a good young player in return for him. I think either Markkanen or White will have to be included for Wall and KMJ.

Return to Chicago Bulls