Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,373

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#821 » by DuckIII » Fri May 28, 2021 2:49 pm

sco wrote:Didn't see this posted https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/basketball/nba/player-news#team=191&page=1

Bulls executive VP of basketball operations Arturas Karnisovas said earlier this week that the team hopes to keep restricted free agent Lauri Markkanen.
While Markkanen has shown flashes of the potential that made him the seventh overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, the 2020-21 season was a difficult one for him. Limited to 51 games (20 starts) due to injury, Markkanen averaged career-lows in points (13.6 ppg), rebounds (5.3 rpg), assists (0.9 apg), steals (0.5 spg) and blocks (0.3 bpg), but his percentages from the field and from three were career-highs. Given the addition of Nikola Vucevic it's fair to wonder where Markkanen fits in Chicago, but Karnisovas has defended the fourth-year forward on multiple occasions. "I’ve got limited stuff that I can obviously be permitted to comment on regarding that, but I thought Lauri had a good year," Karnisovas said. "I thought he was more efficient. He’s a 40% three-point shooter. You know shooting comes at a premium in our league, and I think Lauri is an essential part of our team. We hope he is a part of what we’re building here, so I’m looking forward to free agency and talking to his representation." According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Markkanen (privately) would like to land in Dallas, but there are questions about the fit given the presence of Kristaps Porzingis. Chicago will have the ability to match any offer that Markkanen receives.

Cut and paste GM speak.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#822 » by dougthonus » Fri May 28, 2021 2:59 pm

coldfish wrote:Hardaway Jr. going off is good for the Bulls. Dallas will have to use up their functional capspace to re-sign him.

If Dallas wants Lauri, they would have to do a sign and trade. More likely than not, it just takes one potential suitor out.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Lauri. If there are no suitors above the cap then the Bulls have good leverage to get something in a S&T (even if it isn't much), and if there are no S&T suitors, then we may keep him on a bargain contract.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,025

Post#823 » by coldfish » Fri May 28, 2021 3:09 pm

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2021/

It seems that a lot of the capspace dried up. The teams that could sign Lauri to a big deal outright:
1. NY $67m capspace
2. OKC $62m capspace
3. Spurs $47m capspace
4. Raptors $26m capspace
5. Charlotte $25m capspace

I think NY and Toronto are off that list because they have good PF's. I know little about where OKC is going. Charlotte would have to let Zeller and others go for that capspace. I kind of suspect they would prefer to keep Zeller.

This is going to be far more interesting than I thought before. Earlier in the year, it seemed that there was a lot more money available for next year.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,373

Post#824 » by DuckIII » Fri May 28, 2021 3:23 pm

coldfish wrote:https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2021/

It seems that a lot of the capspace dried up. The teams that could sign Lauri to a big deal outright:
1. NY $67m capspace
2. OKC $62m capspace
3. Spurs $47m capspace
4. Raptors $26m capspace

I think NY and Toronto are off that list because they have good PF's. I know little about where OKC is going. Charlotte would have to let Zeller and others go for that capspace. I kind of suspect they would prefer to keep Zeller.

This is going to be far more interesting than I thought before. Earlier in the year, it seemed that there was a lot more money available for next year.

OKC seems like the biggest “threat” on that list. You would imagine OKC will start actually putting a team together this summer. When your roster is wide open AND you have your young franchise PG locked in already, Lauri seems a really good fit. His age matches their timeline as well.

Obviously I’m rooting for Lauri to have very few offers to promote a sign and trade or leveraging him into a value contract we can retain as a nice trade piece. But if he’s going to walk I think OKC might be a really nice landing place for Lauri’s career. Might be exactly what he needs.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#825 » by coldfish » Fri May 28, 2021 3:47 pm

DuckIII wrote:

1. NY $67m capspace
2. OKC $62m capspace
3. Spurs $47m capspace
4. Raptors $26m capspace

OKC seems like the biggest “threat” on that list. You would imagine OKC will start actually putting a team together this summer. When your roster is wide open AND you have your young franchise PG locked in already, Lauri seems a really good fit. His age matches their timeline as well.

Obviously I’m rooting for Lauri to have very few offers to promote a sign and trade or leveraging him into a value contract we can retain as a nice trade piece. But if he’s going to walk I think OKC might be a really nice landing place for Lauri’s career. Might be exactly what he needs.

Like I said, I know little about what their thought process is. They have a young team and 9 1st rounders, 2 picks swaps, 12 2nd round picks and only 1 1st going out.

That's a really good position and allows lots of options. I agree with you that Lauri might fit there but I can't even wrap my head around having that many assets.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#826 » by sco » Fri May 28, 2021 4:30 pm

coldfish wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

1. NY $67m capspace
2. OKC $62m capspace
3. Spurs $47m capspace
4. Raptors $26m capspace

Like I said, I know little about what their thought process is. They have a young team and 9 1st rounders, 2 picks swaps, 12 2nd round picks and only 1 1st going out.

That's a really good position and allows lots of options. I agree with you that Lauri might fit there but I can't even wrap my head around having that many assets.

That is crazy. Lauri looks like a good fit with that roster. I will go back to my earlier comment about cities that Lauri's wife might NOT prefer to Chicago, OKC might be high on that list (not that I'm judging).

Now with RFA's, Lauri isn't forced to sign the highest offer sheet, right? So if Dallas wanted to a S&T, Lauri could choose that direction over a higher offer from OKC, right?
:clap:
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#827 » by TheStig » Fri May 28, 2021 4:37 pm

1. NY $67m capspace
2. OKC $62m capspace
3. Spurs $47m capspace
4. Raptors $26m capspace

I can't see Lauri playing for Thibs. He'd get 10mpg and give poor Thibs a stroke.

OKC will take on salary for picks.

I know the Spurs are rumored but I can't see Pop going for him.

Raps and Hornets have better PF's.

I can see someone doing a sign and trade. We'll get someone's shorter deal end of the rotation player. I could see a team like the Celtics going for him.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#828 » by coldfish » Fri May 28, 2021 4:57 pm

sco wrote:
coldfish wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

That is crazy. Lauri looks like a good fit with that roster. I will go back to my earlier comment about cities that Lauri's wife might NOT prefer to Chicago, OKC might be high on that list (not that I'm judging).

Now with RFA's, Lauri isn't forced to sign the highest offer sheet, right? So if Dallas wanted to a S&T, Lauri could choose that direction over a higher offer from OKC, right?

You are correct. Lauri decides which offer sheet he signs.

Just in general I would think that San Antonio would be the one to be concerned about. I wonder if they are willing to move on from Derozan.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#829 » by CobyWhite0 » Fri May 28, 2021 5:49 pm

If OKC likes Lauri, they'd make a perfect S&T partner since they have the #35 and #36 picks in this year's draft. We already have #38, we might even be able to get one of them coveted, blissful, heavenly first-round picks if we move all 3 to a team that doesn't want the guaranteed salary associated with a first-rounder.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,948

Post#830 » by Chi town » Fri May 28, 2021 5:58 pm

1. NY $67m capspace
2. OKC $62m capspace
3. Spurs $47m capspace
4. Raptors $26m capspace

Spurs have always been the team to sign him IMO.
sco
RealGM

Post#831 » by sco » Fri May 28, 2021 5:59 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:If OKC likes Lauri, they'd make a perfect S&T partner since they have the #35 and #36 picks in this year's draft. We already have #38, we might even be able to get one of them coveted, blissful, heavenly first-round picks if we move all 3 to a team that doesn't want the guaranteed salary associated with a first-rounder.

If they have the cap space, why would they need to trade?
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#832 » by CobyWhite0 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:12 pm

sco wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:If OKC likes Lauri, they'd make a perfect S&T partner since they have the #35 and #36 picks in this year's draft. We already have #38, we might even be able to get one of them coveted, blissful, heavenly first-round picks if we move all 3 to a team that doesn't want the guaranteed salary associated with a first-rounder.

If they have the cap space, why would they need to trade?

Because the Bulls can match their offer without a S&T? That's why they're only giving up a pair of 2nd round picks, it's not a trade, it's a guarantee the Bulls won't match. Nothing more, nothing less.
RoseTheFuture22
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#833 » by RoseTheFuture22 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:13 pm

Spurs make by far the most sense I think, he fits with that team and Pop would get the most out of him. I think S&T for Derrick White makes a lot of sense if they want to use their cap room on other players in addition to Lauri.

OKC I could see but there is some skill overlap with Poku and Bazely so not sure it makes a ton of sense if they like those guys. Plus you have a high draft pick so not sure what position they'll pick there. It all depends on how they see their rotation and if they are going to make moves to open up time at that position.
sco
RealGM

Post#834 » by sco » Fri May 28, 2021 6:16 pm

I think folks are overvaluing what we'll get back for Lauri S&T...I'd love to be wrong - anything better than a punch in the face is a win in exchange for Lauri trade.
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#835 » by Louri » Fri May 28, 2021 6:41 pm

I heard that Spurs was already interested about Lauri before this season (they were in contact). That’s why San Antonio is my #1 bet. Tony Parker described San Antonio in his doc perfectly as a team that would suit for Lauri and his family.
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,676

Post#836 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:44 pm

RoseTheFuture22 wrote:Spurs make by far the most sense I think, he fits with that team and Pop would get the most out of him. I think S&T for Derrick White makes a lot of sense if they want to use their cap room on other players in addition to Lauri.

OKC I could see but there is some skill overlap with Poku and Bazely so not sure it makes a ton of sense if they like those guys. Plus you have a high draft pick so not sure what position they'll pick there. It all depends on how they see their rotation and if they are going to make moves to open up time at that position.
That would be great, but I think that's a pipe dream.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#837 » by CobyWhite0 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:54 pm

sco wrote:I think folks are overvaluing what we'll get back for Lauri S&T...I'd love to be wrong - anything better than a punch in the face is a win in exchange for Lauri trade.

It depends on two things - how much a team wants Lauri, and whether or not the Bulls plan to be over or under the cap this summer.

If a team really wants Lauri and thinks he's a piece going forward, giving up a 2nd-round pick or two is nothing to guarantee they get their player.

And if the Bulls stay over the cap this summer, they are much more likely to match an offer sheet and trade Lauri moving forward. Which obviously gives a team that really wants him incentive to give a little in return to guarantee they get him.

Personally, I don't see any way any team sees Lauri as a huge piece going forward, but they might be interested at $15-18 million 1st-year salary. And if they don't want the Bulls to match, a couple of 2nd-round picks is a small price to pay to get the guy they want.

If the Bulls go under the cap this summer, they pretty much lose the threat of matching a Lauri offer sheet.

Nobody can know for sure what to expect as of now, there's still far too many variables out there.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#838 » by Leslie Forman » Fri May 28, 2021 8:34 pm

I really wouldn't be surprised if he has to settle for the MLE. I'm not sure why any of the big cap room franchises would bother with him.

Louri wrote:I heard that Spurs was already interested about Lauri before this season (they were in contact). That’s why San Antonio is my #1 bet. Tony Parker described San Antonio in his doc perfectly as a team that would suit for Lauri and his family.

Nothing says family-friendly like sleeping with your teammate's wife.*

*allegedly
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#839 » by donaldtrump_00 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:55 pm

coldfish wrote:
sco wrote:
coldfish wrote:

You are correct. Lauri decides which offer sheet he signs.

Just in general I would think that San Antonio would be the one to be concerned about. I wonder if they are willing to move on from Derozan.

Derozan? What's the Bulls fascination with him? He's not coming to the Bulls in no Lauri deal. We wish getting a star player was that simple. Where getting Lonnie Walker in any deal with the spurs.

And I'd welcome him in with open arms. We need youth with potential. He's kinda decent. I like that. See how well he progresses with this team.

And markkanen does fit the okc timeline and can branch out over there. For whatever reason okc knows how to win when there serious. As for Chicago we need bench depth. Once the off-season is done we'll know if where wasting another year fooling ourselves or do we actually have a real team.

And just one little add on after watching Devin booker on how he attacks and always seems to get a quality look for his shots. I would like Zach to improve on that area. I still feel like he's to reliant on his ability to jump over defenders rather then forcing himself downhill more. Just saying. But he's showing improvement every year. Just want to see him fully max out as a player
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,676

Post#840 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:11 pm

DuckIII wrote:
sco wrote:Didn't see this posted https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/basketball/nba/player-news#team=191&page=1

Bulls executive VP of basketball operations Arturas Karnisovas said earlier this week that the team hopes to keep restricted free agent Lauri Markkanen.
While Markkanen has shown flashes of the potential that made him the seventh overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, the 2020-21 season was a difficult one for him. Limited to 51 games (20 starts) due to injury, Markkanen averaged career-lows in points (13.6 ppg), rebounds (5.3 rpg), assists (0.9 apg), steals (0.5 spg) and blocks (0.3 bpg), but his percentages from the field and from three were career-highs. Given the addition of Nikola Vucevic it's fair to wonder where Markkanen fits in Chicago, but Karnisovas has defended the fourth-year forward on multiple occasions. "I’ve got limited stuff that I can obviously be permitted to comment on regarding that, but I thought Lauri had a good year," Karnisovas said. "I thought he was more efficient. He’s a 40% three-point shooter. You know shooting comes at a premium in our league, and I think Lauri is an essential part of our team. We hope he is a part of what we’re building here, so I’m looking forward to free agency and talking to his representation." According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Markkanen (privately) would like to land in Dallas, but there are questions about the fit given the presence of Kristaps Porzingis. Chicago will have the ability to match any offer that Markkanen receives.

Cut and paste GM speak.

Maybe, but he could have just as easily said something like "We like Lauri of course and we want to retain him if possible, but we're always looking to upgrade every single position and will consider every option when it comes to improving the team." The whole "he's an essential part of our team/we hope he is a part of what we're building" part is completely unnecessary even if he was going for GM speak and trying to increase his S&T odds. If anything, it could make him appear disingenuous to players if he goes against those words later.

Not all GMs are created equal. Some just spout GM speak, but others are more genuine. Reputation is important for a FO when trying to sign FAs, and we want to avoid the reputation that GarPax had. The good thing is, after this Lauri matter is settled, we'll know for sure how much weight to put into AK's words moving forward.

Return to Chicago Bulls