ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Offseason: List of Needs

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Needs for the Knicks

New PG
78%
New SG
9%
New SF
7%
New C
2%
Retain all these dudes
4%

Total votes: 111

JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,415

Knicks Offseason: List of Needs 

Post#1 » by JXL » Sun May 30, 2021 7:21 pm

With this series vs. Atlanta basically over, I want this forum to focus on what the Knicks need to upgrade this roster around Julius and RJ. What should the options be for this team going forward. This season is already a great success. Now, what does this team need to make that next leap?
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,903

Re: Knicks Offseason: List of Needs 

Post#2 » by GONYK » Sun May 30, 2021 7:24 pm

Players to bring back:

Randle
RJ
Obi
Quick
Mitch
Rose
Bullock(?)

So with that foundation to build on, we need a PG and more shooters for sure

That should be the priority, but it's not like that is easy to get.

The team will probably also look to add a playmaker at the wing. We need to be able to attack from the elbows.

RJ might take that next step, we'll be probably be buying one to bridge the gap.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,549

Post#3 » by Meat » Sun May 30, 2021 7:25 pm

randle's gotta go, he can't honestly show his face in msg again can he?
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#4 » by Little Italia » Sun May 30, 2021 7:28 pm

They need 3 point shooters and guys who can finish at the rim.

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#5 » by robillionaire » Sun May 30, 2021 7:31 pm

i'd bring in lonzo, also knicks in 7
NYK-Mentality85
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#6 » by NYK-Mentality85 » Sun May 30, 2021 7:31 pm

Hopefully we trade up into the draft and get an exciting PG.

Would love a big name Superstar FA too.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,815

Post#7 » by 8516knicks » Sun May 30, 2021 7:32 pm

Only select ONE???
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#8 » by thebuzzardman » Sun May 30, 2021 7:34 pm

Poll not sufficient as Knicks need the following:

New PG
New SG (or SF, take your pick)
New C - backup or starter, depending on what you think of Mitch
Striders
Lead Assistant
And1: 252

Post#9 » by Striders » Sun May 30, 2021 7:34 pm

Meat wrote:randle's gotta go, he can't honestly show his face in msg again can he?

I would prefer Randle not come back. He literally played an all time worst offseason for a supposed "star". There's no trust in him anymore.

Trade him to another team looking for a piece.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Post#10 » by DOT » Sun May 30, 2021 7:36 pm

I think PG is by far our biggest need, even if we bring back Rose

Though I'm not the biggest fan of Lonzo or Schroder for over 20 mil a year, I think they'd both be significant upgrades. If the price is right, I'd bring back Bullock too, just cause he's a decent 3-D guy, and you can never have enough of those. Burks, Noel, and Payton I have no interest in retaining

Lonzo/Rose
Bullock/Quick
RJ/Knox
Randle/Obi
Mitch/Taj

So our biggest holes would be backup SF and backup C (I want to keep Taj, as a 3rd stringer, cause he's getting up there in age and I don't want him worn down if need him for the playoffs). 2 backups, 2 first rounders. Would give us a pretty young bench, but I think at worst, that keeps us at the same level we were this year, then go into 2022 and try to get that marquee free agent, cause really ain't one available this year.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,926

Post#11 » by islanders11040 » Sun May 30, 2021 7:36 pm

robillionaire wrote:i'd bring in lonzo, also knicks in 7

the thing about Lonzo is hes a non ball dominant PG. the dude just isnt breaking down any defenses. hopefully his game would open up as a primary PG, who knows.
drp07644
Starter
And1: 516

Post#12 » by drp07644 » Sun May 30, 2021 7:38 pm

Why are so many people saying Bullock should be back? He’s not a starting caliber SG
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#13 » by rammagen » Sun May 30, 2021 7:38 pm

Look we need to decide on Mitch with him playing this yr he changes the other teams drives and make them account for him in the paint.
We can flat out sign Ball and roll out the same line plus picks but we need to draft a game changer at the wing then.
I say trade mich and picks for Molbey long center that can shoot spread the floor, sign Ball or Schroeder and then look for another wing player because Knbox never really developed, Maybe that player can be Obi with work as I don not see him a power forward every game. Let's wait and see but it will be interesting. i do see the Knicks playing tougher at home the next game and I always thought this series would go 6 games. Atlanta is about 2 yrs ahead on the build then we are
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#14 » by frothbrain » Sun May 30, 2021 7:38 pm

Bullock is such a garbage player but this fanbase is so pathetic and ignorant so what do you expect.
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#15 » by 8516knicks » Sun May 30, 2021 7:46 pm

We desperately need a scorer who can get his own shot. We're already playing 4 vs 5 (with our non-scoring centers). Rj looking like a 4th option now. And JR playing like a 3rd option. That leaves 2 scorers/distributors to be had at minimum. After the way JR, Thibs and co. raised our hopes only to CRUSH them so completely this post-season, can't see extending JR now, not without a scorer leading the team and a PG/distributor to ease the load on him. Bullock and Burks can go. Keep Rose for 2nd unit. Anyone available for a trade at this point.
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#16 » by 8516knicks » Sun May 30, 2021 7:50 pm

rammagen wrote:Look we need to decide on Mitch with him playing this yr he changes the other teams drives and make them account for him in the paint.
We can flat out sign Ball and roll out the same line plus picks but we need to draft a game changer at the wing then.
I say trade mich and picks for Molbey long center that can shoot spread the floor, sign Ball or Schroeder and then look for another wing player because Knbox never really developed, Maybe that player can be Obi with work as I don not see him a power forward every game. Let's wait and see but it will be interesting. i do see the Knicks playing tougher at home the next game and I always thought this series would go 6 games. Atlanta is about 2 yrs ahead on the build then we are

We have nothing the team that picks Mobley would want - even if we traded the entire team and all our picks for 3 years.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,195

Post#17 » by Kampuchea » Sun May 30, 2021 7:51 pm

frothbrain wrote:Bullock is such a garbage player but this fanbase is so pathetic and ignorant so what do you expect.

Damn, the mods let you get away with calling the entire forum pathetic?

We have this guy, NewKnicks and Mentality trolling on level 10 the past week. GTFO
rammagen
Head Coach

Post#18 » by rammagen » Sun May 30, 2021 7:56 pm

8516knicks wrote:
rammagen wrote:Look we need to decide on Mitch with him playing this yr he changes the other teams drives and make them account for him in the paint.

We have nothing the team that picks Mobley would want - even if we traded the entire team and all our picks for 3 years.

Not true and that is your emotion speaking. Mitch is worth more around the league then what you think ,him and the picks are allot of currency.
Mitch has already gone thru the growing pains and can defensively control the paint but for what we will pay that eats into cap space for what he delivers on the floor. If he develops a mid-range game that changes everything though.
You can eat into cap space and get another center that delivers the defensive presence he deceivers. Do you honestly think Capella is better then Mitch...not when you look at the salaries for what they deliver.

for example Mitch plus the picks is should be enough for a team like Thunder to bite on trading a pick and they have the cap space to sign him to an extension and fits their timeline.
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#19 » by WargamesX » Sun May 30, 2021 7:58 pm

Why isn’t new coach an option? A lot of this teams issues are Thibs coaching related.....
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
rammagen
Head Coach

Post#20 » by rammagen » Sun May 30, 2021 7:59 pm

K-DOT wrote:I think PG is by far our biggest need, even if we bring back Rose

Though I'm not the biggest fan of Lonzo or Schroder for over 20 mil a year, I think they'd both be significant upgrades. If the price is right, I'd bring back Bullock too, just cause he's a decent 3-D guy, and you can never have enough of those. Burks, Noel, and Payton I have no interest in retaining

Lonzo/Rose
Bullock/Quick
RJ/Knox
Randle/Obi
Mitch/Taj

So our biggest holes would be backup SF and backup C (I want to keep Taj, as a 3rd stringer, cause he's getting up there in age and I don't want him worn down if need him for the playoffs). 2 backups, 2 first rounders. Would give us a pretty young bench, but I think at worst, that keeps us at the same level we were this year, then go into 2022 and try to get that marquee free agent, cause really ain't one available this year.

There is a million ways to build this out and I would like that plan but it would take someone forcing them way to the knicks during the season to get me excited for standing pat this offseason

Return to New York Knicks