ImageImageImageImage

Was this Coach Clifford's last game as Magic HC?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Re: Was this Coach Clifford's last game as Magic HC? 

Post#41 » by Knightro » Tue May 25, 2021 2:45 pm

It's also very difficult for the coach that is pegged to navigate the choppy waters of a long and difficult rebuilding process to remain in his position when it's time for the team to win again.

Teams almost have to fire the coach who navigated the rebuild because it's very tough to transition from "we're not trying to win, only develop players" to "we are now trying to win" with typically a lot of the same guys who were around when you weren't trying to win.

Look at Brett Brown. That guy waded through all the crappy parts of The Process and the Sixers rewarded him by letting him remain the coach when they wanted to win and it turns out he didn't know what he was doing.

They arguably wasted 1-2 years of Embiid/Simmons together with a coach who couldn't hack it.
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#42 » by Horcy » Sun May 30, 2021 10:33 pm

I have to admit that I love to fire him in NBA2k XD
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 717

Post#43 » by CZ Eddie » Sun May 30, 2021 11:25 pm

I don't think Clifford has ever been to the second round with any team as a head coach, has he?
Would be great if he did that with the Magic.
Keep your politics out of my sports
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#44 » by KillMonger » Mon May 31, 2021 9:44 am

honestly i'm still kinda surprised i haven't heard a thing about an extension....heard about other coaches....mcmillian....brad stevens getting extended but not clifford....
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#45 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 31, 2021 10:42 am

It's just bad time to find new coach.
For start, you don't even have who you will draft and will you get bulls pick.

Second logical argument how not to promote new head coach is if you have no clue when your 2 starters are returning from injuries.

Last thing you want is find new coach and that guys has head start of 25-57 "rookie" season with already shaky authority over younger players who will all get PT based on draft slot, not based on what they showed.

We did that with JV and it was pathetic.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#46 » by Skybox » Mon May 31, 2021 12:18 pm

I would add that you better be committed to trying to win before you bring in a new coach. We may still have another year of tanking (I hope not- but we are a mess atm).
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#47 » by drsd » Tue Jun 1, 2021 8:40 am

Skybox wrote:I would add that you better be committed to trying to win before you bring in a new coach. We may still have another year of tanking (I hope not- but we are a mess atm).

And-1

When Orlando starts winning and gets to round-2 of the playoffs a couple years running, then is the time to bring in an Ace coach to take the next step.

I project Coach Clifford will focus on individual development and team fundamentals next year. That in itself could take Orlando to 30 wins. And then we can see if it all gels to a 42+ winning season in 2022/23. From there, this narrative can be explored.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#48 » by tiderulz » Tue Jun 1, 2021 12:37 pm

drsd wrote:
Skybox wrote:I would add that you better be committed to trying to win before you bring in a new coach. We may still have another year of tanking (I hope not- but we are a mess atm).

And-1

When Orlando starts winning and gets to round-2 of the playoffs a couple years running, then is the time to bring in an Ace coach to take the next step.

I project Coach Clifford will focus on individual development and team fundamentals next year. That in itself could take Orlando to 30 wins. And then we can see if it all gels to a 42+ winning season in 2022/23. From there, this narrative can be explored.

i thought someone posted an article around here not too long ago, that Clifford doesnt believe in coaching for individual development, that that is up to the players. dont we only have 1 development coach?
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#49 » by zaymon » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:13 pm

tiderulz wrote:
drsd wrote:

And-1

i thought someone posted an article around here not too long ago, that Clifford doesnt believe in coaching for individual development, that that is up to the players. dont we only have 1 development coach?

I dont think its accurate at all. From what i remember he said he doesnt have coaches assigned to particular skills but to individual players to take more hollistic aproach in their development. All our coaches are developmental coaches but we have 1 coach focused on particular skill which is shooting and that is Bruce Kreutzer.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#50 » by tiderulz » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:32 pm

zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
drsd wrote:
And-1

I dont think its accurate at all. From what i remember he said he doesnt have coaches assigned to particular skills but to individual players to take more hollistic aproach in their development. All our coaches are developmental coaches but we have 1 coach focused on particular skill which is shooting and that is Bruce Kreutzer.

here is the thread link. he has coaches coach a group, not to individual players.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2080325&hilit=development
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#51 » by zaymon » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:25 pm

tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i thought someone posted an article around here not too long ago, that Clifford doesnt believe in coaching for individual development, that that is up to the players. dont we only have 1 development coach?

here is the thread link. he has coaches coach a group, not to individual players.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2080325&hilit=development

They are tasked with positional group but they work with individual players. At least thats how i interpret it.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
drsd
RealGM

Post#52 » by drsd » Tue Jun 1, 2021 8:11 pm

zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i thought someone posted an article around here not too long ago, that Clifford doesnt believe in coaching for individual development, that that is up to the players. dont we only have 1 development coach?

Coach Clifford has stated he believes players should work to improve on their elite skills to make them even more elite. I guess the meaning is that he as the coach is there to hide the deficiencies in a given player's game.

There is some logic to me in that. So long as the deficiency is not crippling (i.e. a Greg Kite level of shooting incompetence).

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#53 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 1, 2021 9:20 pm

drsd wrote:
zaymon wrote:

Coach Clifford has stated he believes players should work to improve on their elite skills to make them even more elite. I guess the meaning is that he as the coach is there to hide the deficiencies in a given player's game.

There is some logic to me in that. So long as the deficiency is not crippling (i.e. a Greg Kite level of shooting incompetence).

What I understood is in the same context as a friend of mine first day of uni. The professor told them all in a fine arts subject something in the lines of : If you don't know how to draw, why are you even taking up this course? I won't teach you how to draw because I expect all of you "aspiring artist" to know already. If you don' t, "tough luck" and work/improve on it on your own.

So I guess, Cliff expects our players to know basketball already and if there is a particular skill lacking, you work on it alone in your free time because he is there to coach the team not to individuals? Or something like that.
drsd
RealGM

Post#54 » by drsd » Wed Jun 2, 2021 7:26 am

RookieStar wrote:What I understood is in the same context as a friend of mine first day of uni. The professor told them all in a fine arts subject something in the lines of : If you don't know how to draw, why are you even taking up this course? I won't teach you how to draw because I expect all of you "aspiring artist" to know already. If you don' t, "tough luck" and work/improve on it on your own.

So I guess, Cliff expects our players to know basketball already and if there is a particular skill lacking, you work on it alone in your free time because he is there to coach the team not to individuals? Or something like that.

You have Abstract art, and Figurative, Geometric, Minimalist, Natural, Portraiture, Still, Surrealist, and etc.

One cannot really compare excellence in one to another. But like all art, the cliché is, I know greatness when I see it.

You really hit on the perfect metaphor here. There are great catch-and-shoot players and great low-post players. They are incomparable. But knowing greatness at either skill is pretty easy to spot.

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#55 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:19 am

When you turn proffessional it's expected from you to know how to play sport you are "professional" about, especially if they pay you at least $2M a year to do so.

No nba coach in the world should learn his players how to dribble the ball and how to shoot, those things are expected to be known as soon as you ink professional contract.

In today's nba league simply won't wait for you. IF you showed nothing or close to nothing in first 2 years, your nba career is gone.
Likes of Thon Maker ( drafted at age of 19) ,Bender ( age 18), Georgios Papagiannis ( age 19), Chriss ( age 19), Smith ( 19 ) , Knox (18) simply come and go, and their teams won't and didn't waste 5 years of their time to try to teach them basics of the sport.

Line of thinking is simple. I won't keep paying your $5 000 0000 a year for you so you can learn, after playing same sport for 12 years- how to shoot open 3s. Either get a clue or get a *** off.

btw not a single person i just mentioned is older than 23. Age excuse at some point becomes redundant nonsense.

Want to improve your game? Well you have offseason, you can improve during a season. Have Kobe- like work ethic, wake up in 4 in the morning and work your a*** off. Most of us work our a***s off for crappy salary and every year we are asked to improve at something. NBA players can do the same, if they have strong enough drive. Just read story of Ray Allen and how every single teammate he ever played with, who tried and worked out like Ray did- become better shooter. It's not just talent. It's work ethic. Your coach has nothing to do with it.

in 2016, Allen wrote on The Players’ Tribune:

In every locker room you’ll ever be in, everybody will say all the right things. Everybody says they’re willing to sacrifice whatever it takes to win a title. But this game isn’t a movie. It’s not about being the man in the fourth quarter. (And) It’s not about talk. It’s getting in your work every single day, when nobody is watching.

Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade. The men who you are going to win championships with are all going to be very different people. What makes them champions is the boring old habits that nobody sees. They compete to see who can be the first to get to the gym and the last to leave.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#56 » by Xatticus » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:59 pm

pepe1991 wrote:When you turn proffessional it's expected from you to know how to play sport you are "professional" about, especially if they pay you at least $2M a year to do so.

No nba coach in the world should learn his players how to dribble the ball and how to shoot, those things are expected to be known as soon as you ink professional contract.

In today's nba league simply won't wait for you. IF you showed nothing or close to nothing in first 2 years, your nba career is gone.
Likes of Thon Maker ( drafted at age of 19) ,Bender ( age 18), Georgios Papagiannis ( age 19), Chriss ( age 19), Smith ( 19 ) , Knox (18) simply come and go, and their teams won't and didn't waste 5 years of their time to try to teach them basics of the sport.

Line of thinking is simple. I won't keep paying your $5 000 0000 a year for you so you can learn, after playing same sport for 12 years- how to shoot open 3s. Either get a clue or get a *** off.

btw not a single person i just mentioned is older than 23. Age excuse at some point becomes redundant nonsense.

Want to improve your game? Well you have offseason, you can improve during a season. Have Kobe- like work ethic, wake up in 4 in the morning and work your a*** off. Most of us work our a***s off for crappy salary and every year we are asked to improve at something. NBA players can do the same, if they have strong enough drive. Just read story of Ray Allen and how every single teammate he ever played with, who tried and worked out like Ray did- become better shooter. It's not just talent. It's work ethic. Your coach has nothing to do with it.

In every locker room you’ll ever be in, everybody will say all the right things. Everybody says they’re willing to sacrifice whatever it takes to win a title. But this game isn’t a movie. It’s not about being the man in the fourth quarter. (And) It’s not about talk. It’s getting in your work every single day, when nobody is watching.

Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade. The men who you are going to win championships with are all going to be very different people. What makes them champions is the boring old habits that nobody sees. They compete to see who can be the first to get to the gym and the last to leave.

pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Him and Barnes are by far worst fits for rest of a roster for Orlando.

Let's assume Kuminga is selected.

So our starting PG can't shoot, our backup PG is mediocre chucker who shot 33,7% for 3, our project SG Hampton also can't shoot that well, our starting SF ( Kuminga) also can't shoot, our PF shoots 33% for 3 on 440 attemps and our starting center Wendell Carter jr can't shoot pass 10 feet.

Needless to say, our spacing will make each and every single one of them look that much worst because in any serious game, opponents will just go under every screeen. God forbid having that spacing in playoffs. Lakers have Drummond , Lebron & Davis and their spacing was horrendus vs Suns.

i assume he is also projecting development. Hampton and Cole can improve their shooting. Will they is another story, but they arent locking into being bad shooters forever at 20.

Why Bamba, Isaac, Wendel Carter, Gordon , Payton didn't learn how to shoot despite being in nba for at least 3 years. as long as 7?
Despite having some improvments over years, nobody become plus shooter , brought to nba as fairly limited one...

Shooting is gift, when you look young kids and how easly it is to some, and how impossible it is to other, it's not hard to figure shooting is most talent based skill in sport.
Few months ago i was on the court and random kid comes by , kid is like 10, and he starts bombing.. I'm talking about knockdown shooting despite having bearly enough strenght to throw ball from 3 point line, next thing you know, his father comes, and i figure his father is former professional basketball player who even won bronze in 1994 world cup. No suprise, guy was dead eye shooting guard.

It's just what it is, for some it's most natural thing in the world, for some it's rubik's cube.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#57 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:02 am

Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:When you turn proffessional it's expected from you to know how to play sport you are "professional" about, especially if they pay you at least $2M a year to do so.

pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i assume he is also projecting development. Hampton and Cole can improve their shooting. Will they is another story, but they arent locking into being bad shooters forever at 20.

Why Bamba, Isaac, Wendel Carter, Gordon , Payton didn't learn how to shoot despite being in nba for at least 3 years. as long as 7?
Despite having some improvments over years, nobody become plus shooter , brought to nba as fairly limited one...

Shooting is gift, when you look young kids and how easly it is to some, and how impossible it is to other, it's not hard to figure shooting is most talent based skill in sport.
Few months ago i was on the court and random kid comes by , kid is like 10, and he starts bombing.. I'm talking about knockdown shooting despite having bearly enough strenght to throw ball from 3 point line, next thing you know, his father comes, and i figure his father is former professional basketball player who even won bronze in 1994 world cup. No suprise, guy was dead eye shooting guard.

It's just what it is, for some it's most natural thing in the world, for some it's rubik's cube.

Ray Allen shot 233 - 520 for 3 at college, being epic 44,8% three point shooter. His born gift to be leathal shooter doesn't change fact he had to work his a*** off in nba to make it look easly.
Nice try. Take L.
drsd
RealGM

Post#58 » by drsd » Thu Jun 3, 2021 9:47 am

pepe1991 wrote:Ray Allen shot 233 - 520 for 3 at college, being epic 44,8% three point shooter. His born gift to be leathal shooter doesn't change fact he had to work his a*** off in nba to make it look easly.
Nice try. Take L.

And-1

Curry and Young probably take 10,000+ practice three-balls each week. Lethality comes from ambition.

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#59 » by Xatticus » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:33 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

pepe1991 wrote:

Ray Allen shot 233 - 520 for 3 at college, being epic 44,8% three point shooter. His born gift to be leathal shooter doesn't change fact he had to work his a*** off in nba to make it look easly.
Nice try. Take L.

What are you talking about? You contradicted yourself. You do it all the time. You said shooting is a talent and some people just don't get it. Less than a week later you state that everyone that played with Ray Allen and worked as hard as he did got better at shooting. I'd swear that you argue for the sake of doing so.

And who are you advocating for us selecting with the Bulls pick? A guy that can't shoot.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#60 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:58 am

Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

Nice try. Take L.

What are you talking about? You contradicted yourself. You do it all the time. You said shooting is a talent and some people just don't get it. Less than a week later you state that everyone that played with Ray Allen and worked as hard as he did got better at shooting. I'd swear that you argue for the sake of doing so.

And who are you advocating for us selecting with the Bulls pick? A guy that can't shoot.

... going for double L ? Slam dunk.

People need to have great shooting touch in order to become great shooters. Case and point Ray Allen went from being leathal shooter at college to one of best shooters in nba. Simple case of talent, ambition and hard work.
People who worked with Ray Allen ( Avery Bradley, Brandon Bass, Pierce to name a few... ) did improve their jumpshot, but they never reached Ray Allen's level. Making very simple and strong case of my previous point- in order to be great shooter, you have to have talent that isn't teachable to achive greatness.

Huh? I want Jalen Johnson. Great shooter? NO, by any streach of imagination. But compared to likes of Garuba , Barnes he looks like Steph Curry.

Return to Orlando Magic