Image ImageImage Image

Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#161 » by patryk7754 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:35 pm

A starting PG is clearly our biggest need. We don't have a stabilizing force on this team and Rose 1000% brings that. Game one of the hawks/knicks series is evidence of this. At this point in his career, Rose has taken a huge step in leadership. Also, I don't understand this idea that Rose is "back". Obviously, he's not MVP Rose but he was never bad at worst he was above average and was the usual killer in the Playoffs. The worse it ever got was his first stint in NY where he averaged career highs in shooting at the time.

This series has shown he still gets his and if everyone else wasn't scared for the Knicks, this series would be basically over. He's a starting PG and he should be the starting PG for the Bulls.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,817

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#162 » by kulaz3000 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 am

patryk7754 wrote:A starting PG is clearly our biggest need. We don't have a stabilizing force on this team and Rose 1000% brings that. Game one of the hawks/knicks series is evidence of this. At this point in his career, Rose has taken a huge step in leadership. Also, I don't understand this idea that Rose is "back". Obviously, he's not MVP Rose but he was never bad at worst he was above average and was the usual killer in the Playoffs. The worse it ever got was his first stint in NY where he averaged career highs in shooting at the time.

This series has shown he still gets his and if everyone else wasn't scared for the Knicks, this series would be basically over. He's a starting PG and he should be the starting PG for the Bulls.

I don't know about whether he SHOULD be the starting pg for the Bulls, but if it ends up that way, then great, I'll be happy with that.

As far as the veteran point guards who are free agents goes though, all of them have one glaring issue which concerns me, and that's their injuries and their age. Conley and Lowry both are usually out for long stretches due to injuries, and they are getting close to their twilight years. Derrick though not as old, still isn't exactly an iron man either. So if we do end up with either of those three players, we would need a serviceable point guard on the bench not named Coby to fill in when they are out of the line up.
Why so serious?
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,176

Post#163 » by _txchilibowl_ » Mon May 31, 2021 12:59 am

Love Derrick but if he's the answer you're asking the wrong question...

He needs to be on a contender as a spark guy.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,174

Post#164 » by HomoSapien » Mon May 31, 2021 1:16 am

I think the question worth asking is would you rather have Devonte Graham signed to a fairly significant contract or Derrick Rose for a fairly insignificant contract. Obviously everyone would rather have Ball, Lowry, Conley, etc.

I like Graham, but I think I'd rather just have Rose while keeping more financial flexibility.

A backcourt rotation of LaVine, White, Rose, and Sato really is very solid and dynamic.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,817

Post#165 » by kulaz3000 » Mon May 31, 2021 1:20 am

HomoSapien wrote:I think the question worth asking is would you rather have Devonte Graham signed to a fairly significant contract or Derrick Rose for a fairly insignificant contract. Obviously everyone would rather have Ball, Lowry, Conley, etc.

I like Graham, but I think I'd rather just have Rose while keeping more financial flexibility.

A backcourt rotation of LaVine, White, Rose, and Sato really is very solid and dynamic.

I absolutely agree.
Why so serious?
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#166 » by RedBulls23 » Mon May 31, 2021 9:28 am

HomoSapien wrote:A backcourt rotation of LaVine, White, Rose, and Sato really is very solid and dynamic.

Very weak defensively.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#167 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon May 31, 2021 12:07 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:A backcourt rotation of LaVine, White, Rose, and Sato really is very solid and dynamic.

Very weak defensively.

But so are most teams in the backcourt. Its team defense that is far more important.

Teams are putting out Kemba, Kyrie, Seth Curry, Steph Curry, Dame, Trae Young, I can go on and on. None of those guys are capable of stopping anyone.

But they all play on teams that have at worst a solid team defense and or play with players that clean up a lot of mistakes.

And in some instances, you have situations like the Nets. Blazers alot consistently fall into this category. They are a bad defensive teams but their offensive is amazing. So much so it offsets their defensive inabilities.

If we suddenly replaced Vooch and Pat with prime Joakim and Luol or Jimmy, we would be a very good defensive team instantly. Even with Zach and Coby in the backcourt. The defensive mistakes will be alot less noticeable.
The Cult of Personality
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#168 » by sco » Mon May 31, 2021 1:40 pm

HomoSapien wrote:I think the question worth asking is would you rather have Devonte Graham signed to a fairly significant contract or Derrick Rose for a fairly insignificant contract. Obviously everyone would rather have Ball, Lowry, Conley, etc.

I think you nailed it. We can keep a much stronger group (including Lauri, if we want to) if we choose to operate over the cap, but then are limited to trades and the $10M MLE. I think Rose could be had for the MLE, and that would be a big win for us.

I doubt we can get Graham for that, but who knows.
:clap:
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#169 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:58 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

Very weak defensively.

But so are most teams in the backcourt. Its team defense that is far more important.

Teams are putting out Kemba, Kyrie, Seth Curry, Steph Curry, Dame, Trae Young, I can go on and on. None of those guys are capable of stopping anyone.

But they all play on teams that have at worst a solid team defense and or play with players that clean up a lot of mistakes.

And in some instances, you have situations like the Nets. Blazers alot consistently fall into this category. They are a bad defensive teams but their offensive is amazing. So much so it offsets their defensive inabilities.

If we suddenly replaced Vooch and Pat with prime Joakim and Luol or Jimmy, we would be a very good defensive team instantly. Even with Zach and Coby in the backcourt. The defensive mistakes will be alot less noticeable.

Yeah, teams defense is important, but you have to have someone that can defend the pnr as the poa guy.

Having a backcourt rotation of generally below average to bad defenders isn't a good idea.

I have no clue what guys like Dame, Kyrie, and Steph have to do with adding DRose to the roster? I'd be perfectly fine with adding those guys to Zach and Coby and see how they can work it out. Rose isn't that guy anymore.

Lastly, Vooch isn't going anywhere. AK needs to find a way to add players that can offset Zach, Coby, and Vooch's defensive flaws.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,538

Post#170 » by DuckIII » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:34 am

There would be some novelty value to it. But pass.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#171 » by CobyWhite0 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:38 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:Very weak defensively.

Yeah, teams defense is important, but you have to have someone that can defend the pnr as the poa guy.

Having a backcourt rotation of generally below average to bad defenders isn't a good idea.

I have no clue what guys like Dame, Kyrie, and Steph have to do with adding DRose to the roster? I'd be perfectly fine with adding those guys to Zach and Coby and see how they can work it out. Rose isn't that guy anymore.

Lastly, Vooch isn't going anywhere. AK needs to find a way to add players that can offset Zach, Coby, and Vooch's defensive flaws.

Yeah, I'm with you, a team needs at least one of their guards to play defense - at least if they care to advance very far in the playoffs. Kemba plays with Smart, Seth plays with Simmons, Steph plays with Klay (when the Dubs are a playoff team). Trae's team was 21st in defense, you're not winning a title like that. The Blazers were 29th in defense, you're not going far with that.

BKN will be an interesting test case - can 3 certain HOFers on offense overcome a horrible defense?

As for Dame, Kyrie, Steph and Rose - to quote Sesame Street, "one of these things is not like the others, one of these things does not belong". I've never seen so much love given to a no-defense guard with a .550 TS%.

If we trade Coby this summer, Rose is a great fit as 6th man. But as a 3rd guard with Zach and Coby? I'm not sure I can think of a worse fit. There's a reason Lonzo to the Bulls is such an obvious move.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#172 » by CobyWhite0 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:50 am

DuckIII wrote:There would be some novelty value to it. But pass.

Yeah, there would be novelty value in signing Rodman as well... the difference being, we actually need a PF who can defend and rebound and not care about scoring.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#173 » by TheJordanRule » Tue Jun 1, 2021 6:16 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:

Yeah, there would be novelty value in signing Rodman as well... the difference being, we actually need a PF who can defend and rebound and not care about scoring.

There is no path forward with ancient mediocre solutions at PG on a team that has zero young PGs and can't draft any in the lottery even when they play themselves into the lottery. Either grab a genuinely elite ancient PG (who could potentially push other FAs to sign with us next year-- though I'm less sold on the idea because I don't really think it can be implemented), or grab a discount youngster with a lot of potential. Rose is in the No Man's Land of, "Well, he's alright, but..." and could easily drop off a cliff with a new team for any number of factors.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,723

Post#174 » by NZB2323 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 9:26 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

Very weak defensively.

Steph Curry played with Klay Thompson and Seth Curry is on a team with Ben Simmons, Matisse Thybull, and Danny Green. The Bucks traded for Jrue Holiday in part because of his guard defense. Dame hasn't gone as far in the playoffs in part because he hasn't played with great defensive guards. The issue with the Bulls is on our roster we probably have 2 players that are above average defensively and we're not an elite offensive team.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#175 » by sco » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:01 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:

There is no path forward with ancient mediocre solutions at PG on a team that has zero young PGs and can't draft any in the lottery even when they play themselves into the lottery. Either grab a genuinely elite ancient PG (who could potentially push other FAs to sign with us next year-- though I'm less sold on the idea because I don't really think it can be implemented), or grab a discount youngster with a lot of potential. Rose is in the No Man's Land of, "Well, he's alright, but..." and could easily drop off a cliff with a new team for any number of factors.

Is Rose Steph or Dame, no, but getting him on a MLE deal could be a huge step forward for this team - not to mention a valuable mentor for White (who I'm about to want to flush). He also won't get in the way of our ability to improve the roster down the road and move to the bench. His PG passing and vision is better than when he was here. For our guys to improve, we need a PG to help them learn how to play with a good PG.
:clap:
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,938

Post#176 » by Axl Rose » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:11 am

Rose wouldn't be a bad option on a 1 or 2 year deal as a stopgap until something else better comes along. The FA Class is weak and im not over the moon about overpaying Lonzo Ball and potentially being stuck with an unmovable contract.

Besides it'll give all of us a chance to blow the dust off our Rose jerseys :lol:
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib

Return to Chicago Bulls