ImageImageImage

Playoffs 20/21 - G4 - Mavs vs Clippers (Sunday, 9:30 PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G4 - Mavs vs Clippers (Sunday, 9:30 PM EST) 

Post#121 » by RingColluder » Mon May 31, 2021 5:43 am

Good series so far against you guys, but I'm afraid we figured you out. Take out Zu and Boban and Porzingis can't take advantage of Batum.

I'd be stunned to not see Porzginis get traded for a stud wing this offseason. Mark Cuban continues to make awful GM moves ever since winning that Dirk ring. Good luck against us in the next 3, should still be a fun series especially if Luka can get it going again. But I seems his injury + Kawhi guarding him primarily has really neutralized him.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#122 » by BlueSan » Mon May 31, 2021 5:43 am

Look.
I'll be the first to say i expected them -> expect them to lose the series and said they aint good enough. Even said they will barely make the playoffs if at all. Well and they kind of did barely made it even though 5th seed was above my expectations. But 7th seed was game of a difference.

Never the less a few things

1. Having such pathetic defense for the entire play offs is not acceptable.

2. Having a 17% 3pt shooting 35% 2 pt shooting and 65% FT shooting is not bad is not your regular off night it is pathetic and anyone playing like they did tonight together with the coaching staff should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

3. Wasting a 2:0 lead on opponents court and losing 2 games in front of 16k of fans when there are barely any fans around and to lose in a complete blowout is mind blowing.
They were speaking how Clippers messed up and crumbled first two games? They were in it for both of them
On the other hand Mavs blew up a 19 points 1st quarter lead within minutes and got destroyed completely infront of 16k fans in game 4.
This is a pure definition of FOLDED LIKE A CHAIR

My question now is. What is the narrative you want for yourself. Epic upset in round 1? Or cant handle the pressure and one of a few teams in history blowing a 2:0 lead after winning away?

I am mostly talking about Luka here cause for other guys it wont really matter when sll is said and done.
So to me that one is the only real question left. After winning firstvtwo games you kind of put it on yourself thatvall of a sudden you will look like a loser if you then go on and lose the series
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Post#123 » by Mavrelous » Mon May 31, 2021 5:49 am

BlueSan wrote:Look.
I'll be the first to say i expected them -> expect them to lose the series and said they aintbgood enough. Even said they will barely make the playoffs if at all. Well and they kind of did barely made it even though 5th seed was above my expectations. But 7th seed was game of a difference.

Never the less a few things

1. Having such pathetic defense for the entire play offs is not acceptable.

2. Having a 17% 3pt shooting 35% 2 pt shooting and 65% FT shooting is not bad is not your regular off night it is pathetic and anyone playing like they did tonight together with the coaching staff should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

3. Wasting a 2:0 lead on opponents court and losing 2 games in front of 16k of fans when there are barely any fans around and to lose in a complete blowout is mind blowing.
They were speaking how Clippers messed up and crumbled first two games? They were in it for both of them
On the other hand Mavs blew up a 19 points 1st quarter lead within minutes and got destroyed completely infront of 16k fans in game 4.
This is a pure definition of FOLDED LIKE A CHAIR

There is no defense, Mavs have no wing defender, Maxi Kleber is no where near a Kawhi defender, no one should expect good defense, but you're right, the lack of effort is damning, and heads should roll.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#124 » by BlueSan » Mon May 31, 2021 5:54 am

Look if your defense is really so pathetic there are things you can do to boost it but maybe still isnt enough. Have they played zone once?
If you are getting murdered with cuts and 1 on 1 play zone. You can still get killed. But not with that instead 3pt shots.
Secondly. Kawhi is matched up on porzingis to prevent Luka and porzingis pick and roll. If porzingis screens Luka = Kawhi goes on Luka
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Post#125 » by Mavrelous » Mon May 31, 2021 7:19 am

Zone have been tried in the RS, without much success, but, yeah, it was bad enough in this game to try it.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#126 » by Bob8 » Mon May 31, 2021 7:39 am

3rd game was their chance. RC putting Luka on the bench in first Q decided this series.

It's unbelievable how a team, whose only priority before this season was bringing better defenders and play better D, can play D that bad. Total **** by management and coach.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#127 » by XTraderXL » Mon May 31, 2021 8:03 am

BlueSan wrote:Look if your defense is really so pathetic there are things you can do to boost it but maybe still isnt enough. Have they played zone once?
If you are getting murdered with cuts and 1 on 1 play zone. You can still get killed. But not with that instead 3pt shots.
Secondly. Kawhi is matched up on porzingis to prevent Luka and porzingis pick and roll. If porzingis screens Luka = Kawhi goes on Luka

I saw them playing zone for one possesion at the start of the 3rd when Boban was in. Maybe they played more of it but I stopped watching at about 6min to go in the third I think.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#128 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon May 31, 2021 3:22 pm

arkuo wrote:If Lebron owned Demar Derozan and Toronto in the West before, Kawhi now owns Luka and the Mavs. That only changes when Kawhi leaves the West.

Those LeBron vs Raptors meetings happened in the Eastern Conference Finals. Kawhi needs to make it to the Western Conference Finals before he owns anything.

Also, Luka is a certified bad ass! We're 1-2 seasons away before this man owns the league. This is a generational talent, an all time great (maybe the greatest when it's all said & done), a man who dominates every facet of the game (until he goes to the free throw line), and he can't be stopped. Last season, I use to think if I had my pick of any player in the league to start a franchise with maybe I'd take Giannis, maybe I'd take Luka. Nah, now the choice is crystal clear. You take Luka 100 times out of 100.

You can have Load Management Leonard. I'll put my chips on Luka.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#129 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon May 31, 2021 3:27 pm

RingColluder wrote:Good series so far against you guys, but I'm afraid we figured you out. Take out Zu and Boban and Porzingis can't take advantage of Batum.

I'd be stunned to not see Porzginis get traded for a stud wing this offseason. Mark Cuban continues to make awful GM moves ever since winning that Dirk ring. Good luck against us in the next 3, should still be a fun series especially if Luka can get it going again. But I seems his injury + Kawhi guarding him primarily has really neutralized him.

Carlisle is hurting us. He left the Mavs starters in there for way too long last night, when they clearly just didn't have it. He should of given Brunson more of a look & worked in more bench guys. Try something different. KP would of had a big night last night, if anyone on the Mavs would have looked for him, but I think he's lost of the confidence of his teammates. I don't know why else they wouldn't pass him the ball when he was open.

If Luka can't play any better, fighting through the injury, then our goose is most likely cooked. That said, anything can happen. This series might come down to who can stay hottest from the 3 point line. I'm also praying that Carlisle realizes Kleber can't guard Kawhi straight up on a bad Achilles and tries something else.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#130 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon May 31, 2021 3:29 pm

For a series that's 2-2, there's a lot of give up in these posts.

It doesn't look good with Luka's injury, but it's still just 2-2. I bet this series goes to 7, and if the Mavs are hot from 3 that day, they could win. Who knows Luka might even make a free throw :lol:
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#131 » by arkuo » Mon May 31, 2021 3:42 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
arkuo wrote:If Lebron owned Demar Derozan and Toronto in the West before, Kawhi now owns Luka and the Mavs. That only changes when Kawhi leaves the West.

Those LeBron vs Raptors meetings happened in the Eastern Conference Finals. Kawhi needs to make it to the Western Conference Finals before he owns anything.

Also, Luka is a certified bad ass! We're 1-2 seasons away before this man owns the league. This is a generational talent, an all time great (maybe the greatest when it's all said & done), a man who dominates every facet of the game (until he goes to the free throw line), and he can't be stopped. Last season, I use to think if I had my pick of any player in the league to start a franchise with maybe I'd take Giannis, maybe I'd take Luka. Nah, now the choice is crystal clear. You take Luka 100 times out of 100.

You can have Load Management Leonard. I'll put my chips on Luka.

Luka needs and deserves a better GM.

You put Luka in a different situation with a better GM ready to surround him with real starters, then you immediately see the difference. The problems start and end with Donnie Nelson.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#132 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon May 31, 2021 3:49 pm

arkuo wrote:You put Luka in a different situation with a better GM ready to surround him with real starters, then you immediately see the difference. The problems start and end with Donnie Nelson.

Well you can't blame Luka because that would sound crazy. So, you gotta blame somebody right?

I'm saying Luka is so good that by the time he turns 25 it won't matter. You can't stop Jordan from being Jordan, Kobe from being Kobe, LeBron from being LeBron, and this league won't stop Luka from being Luka. I'm not worried.

If anything, I'm disappointed with Carlisle. 3 years ago, there were fans begging him to play Kleber more. Now, he finally has. Carlisle's dog house has more skeletons than just about any other NBA coach. Delon Wright's success this past season is a prime example. You can't blame Donnie for bringing the players that he can get to come to Dallas and then Carlisle jerks them around with inconsistent minutes and an undefined role.

But, I'm also not going to blame Carlisle for everything. He has his strengths too. Overall, I'm not worried about Luka or this team. I still think we have a 40% chance or so to win this series too.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#133 » by arkuo » Mon May 31, 2021 3:53 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
arkuo wrote:You put Luka in a different situation with a better GM ready to surround him with real starters, then you immediately see the difference. The problems start and end with Donnie Nelson.

Well you can't blame Luka because that would sound crazy. So, you gotta blame somebody right?

I'm saying Luka is so good that by the time he turns 25 it won't matter. You can't stop Jordan from being Jordan, Kobe from being Kobe, LeBron from being LeBron, and this league won't stop Luka from being Luka. I'm not worried.

If anything, I'm disappointed with Carlisle. 3 years ago, there were fans begging him to play Kleber more. Now, he finally has. Carlisle's dog house has more skeletons than just about any other NBA coach. Delon Wright's success this past season is a prime example. You can't blame Donnie for bringing the players that he can get to come to Dallas and then Carlisle jerks them around with inconsistent minutes and an undefined role.

But, I'm also not going to blame Carlisle for everything. He has his strengths too. Overall, I'm not worried about Luka or this team. I still think we have a 40% chance or so to win this series too.

This actually crossed my mind lately.

Hindsight is always 20-20. But what if Carlisle got the boot and Rondo got successful here. Carlisle's extra tight leash is the reason why he clashed with Rondo, DSJ and Nerlens Noel here. I know he has his ways, but it made me think for a second.

Also, 2011 was more of Dirk playing on god mode and Terry Stotts and Dwayne Casey propping Carlisle up. Those two had head coaching offers after that while Rick got consecutive 1st round exits until now.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#134 » by Darren » Mon May 31, 2021 4:13 pm

The situation is a lot like the one the Mavs had against Sactown in the first round. The Mavs lack something to believe in and someone tor rely on. By that time, it's Nick Van Exel who steps up and boosts energy from the whole team. The Mavs need this sort of presence as JJ Barea's gone. The Clippers takes the Mavs completely out of comfort zone with heavily contested threes. With Luka's injury, this seiries is close to over. The Mavs might have options but all of them is a little bit like gamble. The Mavs sorely rely on Doncic with no playmakers. And KP is not a true big playing much smaller than its size. With KP on the floor, the paint is full of holes with / without Kleber cleaning up. BTW, Maxi isn't very good at 4 either. Inserting Boban or Burke might be options. But at most, it creates X factors and uncertainty. Clippers is more talented squad with more depth. The Mavs is young but not as athletic and skilled.

The Mavs has already overachieved. The Mavs has no business to win anything if KP couldn't be an archor on both ends of the floor.

I think the Mavs has to rethink about the investment - to bulk up KP or not. Center could have guard skills but without a center body, this sorts of skills could be a liability afterall. I know bulking up might cause more injury issue. But take a look at the situation now, KP is not going to be anything positive on both ends of the floor. Admit it or not, Boban outplayed KP so far. Maybe the Mavs could hire Tyson Chandler to help KP throws punch. KP's mentally way too soft and fragile with questionable work ethics and basketball smart. Mavs fans miss Dirk in this regards in a big way.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#135 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon May 31, 2021 5:10 pm

Huge painfull loss... Hope it help Cuban&Donnie make right moves this offseason.

We need at least 2 new faces in the starting five next year.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#136 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon May 31, 2021 5:13 pm

arkuo wrote:This actually crossed my mind lately.

Hindsight is always 20-20. But what if Carlisle got the boot and Rondo got successful here. Carlisle's extra tight leash is the reason why he clashed with Rondo, DSJ and Nerlens Noel here. I know he has his ways, but it made me think for a second.

Also, 2011 was more of Dirk playing on god mode and Terry Stotts and Dwayne Casey propping Carlisle up. Those two had head coaching offers after that while Rick got consecutive 1st round exits until now.

It's not entirely off the mark. Definitely some noteworthy points.

I'm happy we booted Rondo & not Carlisle tho
DrPampiloni
Junior
And1: 363

Post#137 » by DrPampiloni » Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm

arkuo wrote:Luka just turned 22. So he just got into drinking age in the US. He can drink all he wants when the season is over. Not party after game 2. It's a series now so Carlisle better grab them by the collar. Dennis Smith was held to an even shorter leash than DFS and Kleber. If these partying fools were measured with the same stick they would have been benched too.

What's all this talk I'm reading about players partying after game two? Any sources, or is it metaphorical?
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#138 » by fuller4379 » Mon May 31, 2021 6:06 pm

There is no way I can put any blame on Luka. The Mavs would be as bad as Houston without him. He singlehandedly had the Mavs up 19 in Game 3. He needs to work on the charity stripe, but besides that, his abilities are top 5 in the NBA. The problem this year is JRich is a bust and KP has turned into an 80 year old man this season. Luka getting this motley crew to the playoffs as the 5th seed is a miracle. Leonard had PG13 and Luka has THJ as his second best. That is a huge disadvantage for Luka.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#139 » by RingColluder » Mon May 31, 2021 6:16 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
RingColluder wrote:Good series so far against you guys, but I'm afraid we figured you out. Take out Zu and Boban and Porzingis can't take advantage of Batum.

Carlisle is hurting us. He left the Mavs starters in there for way too long last night, when they clearly just didn't have it. He should of given Brunson more of a look & worked in more bench guys. Try something different. KP would of had a big night last night, if anyone on the Mavs would have looked for him, but I think he's lost of the confidence of his teammates. I don't know why else they wouldn't pass him the ball when he was open.

If Luka can't play any better, fighting through the injury, then our goose is most likely cooked. That said, anything can happen. This series might come down to who can stay hottest from the 3 point line. I'm also praying that Carlisle realizes Kleber can't guard Kawhi straight up on a bad Achilles and tries something else.

Ty Lue kept in the starters way too long as well and at one point looked like Kawhi hurt his finger or wrist.

I agree, Brunson is terrific and needs more ball usage during games. KP looks checked out mentally from what I see.

Im still waiting for the bad PG shooting night, but unless Carlisle has any other moves looks like this may be over. Imo I feel like we've won the last 7.5 quarters in the last 2 games. If I was a Mavs fan, the answer needs to be finding ways to exploit Batum - probably doing more iso matchups against him rather than just going straight to the paint.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#140 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon May 31, 2021 7:01 pm

DrPampiloni wrote:
arkuo wrote:Luka just turned 22. So he just got into drinking age in the US. He can drink all he wants when the season is over. Not party after game 2. It's a series now so Carlisle better grab them by the collar. Dennis Smith was held to an even shorter leash than DFS and Kleber. If these partying fools were measured with the same stick they would have been benched too.

What's all this talk I'm reading about players partying after game two? Any sources, or is it metaphorical?

Me too...what are you talking about?

Sad to say but Batum should be a huge upgrade than DFS, and he is their 8th/9th guy.

Return to Dallas Mavericks