ImageImageImageImageImage

Fire Steve Kerr

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#61 » by jamesnamida » Sun May 23, 2021 1:47 am

If warriors played more pick and rolls with curry on ball they might have 2 extra titles
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 217

Post#62 » by sonnyhill » Mon May 31, 2021 12:02 am

Some things to consider when evaluating Kerr...

1. How did he manage the blow-up between Green and Durant and how much of the mixup on the court vs the Clippers was the result of Kerr not effectively communicating and getting buy-in from both Green and Durant on each's role in transition offense at the end of a game?

2. How was Nick Nurse able to outcoach Kerr by implementing-and-executing an box-and-one defense to neutralize Curry? How and why was Kerr not able to make adjustments from the bench?

3. How did Kerr avoid facing any scrutiny with his role in not being able to keep Durant from leaving to the Nets?

4. During this past season, how did Kerr not put his best lineup onto the floor at the beginning of the season and force a 19-year old rookie to play significant starter minutes to the determinant of the team and its chances to make the playoffs?

5. Where was Kerr's development plan for developing Wiseman so that the kid could show improvement throughout the season? Instead, Kerr, a petulant and stubborn "system guy," forced his highly-touted 19-year old rookie to "sink or swim" when the kid clearly was not ready for this challenge. Where is the Warriors Michael Jordan, the guy within the organization who is willing to give Kerr his much-deserved a$$-kicking?

6. Similar to Kerr's first season, it was only because of injury (that season, it was David Lee which forced Kerr to put Green into the starting lineup) to Wiseman that Kerr started giving significant minutes to JTA. How is Kerr not able to properly utilize the talent on his roster?

7. What is Kerr doing to reduce Curry and Green's propensity to turn the ball over on offense?

8. Has Kerr faced any scrutiny for having alienated the best player he has ever coached, Kevin Durant, where Durant, unsolicited, openly told Harden not to come to the Warriors because of Kerr's coaching style?

Getting back to the original topic, "Fire Kerr;" I would ask, "why was this topic not brought up right after Nick Nurse had outcoached Kerr in the series vs. Toronto?"
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#63 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:38 am

I'd say Kerr's coaching style, that the ball has energy and he wants the ball moving all the time, both helps create turnovers and alienates ball dominant star players (KD, Harden). But he's not wrong ... moving the ball does create shot opportunities and it has contributed to the Warriors being efficient on offense.

I know Kerr wants them to respect the ball, but at the same times he wants them to be creative and push the pace which is going to result in more turnovers.

The play-in turnover issue was exacerbated by officiating allowing opponents to hold and grab making the passing windows tighter and the fact that the Warriors have only 1 player who can create his own shot.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#64 » by and1GS » Mon May 31, 2021 6:08 am

I definitely don't think we should fire Kerr. For as much as some here seem to hate the guy, imagine he was Nate McMillan, Scott Brooks or Terry Stotts. All three are good coaches IMO, but do you win a title with any of them? Maybe make a nice run...but there's a ceiling. Steve's still the guy and the person far more on the hot seat is Myers IMO.

The points I will concede are:
1) Both Steve and the FO took a lazy approach to planning out the season after Klay got injured. They didn't seem to know if it was a rebuilding year or if we were one piece away from a title. As a result the plan seemed to be running the same system with a 'eh let's check back in later' attitude. You can't do that when you have the #2 pick and a top 3 player. Poole's development really saved them otherwise this would have been a disastrous year - and arguably they mismanaged Poole up and down for the entire year as well.

2) Steve was quite rigid to start the year. He wanted to play his style because motion basketball is beautiful. However, you can't teach calculus to remedial math students. If you try, you have Oubre standing on top of Steph and Bazemore in the top 15 for fouls per 36 minutes. Especially with such a cap strapped team, you need to maximize the talent you have by building a system to fit it. Later in the season he began to blend more basic PnR concepts and we'd see Wiseman in a more concentrated role, but we'll see if that carries over.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#65 » by Impuniti » Mon May 31, 2021 7:11 am

Kerr needs more from the board, they simply need a better roster than what they have. And I don't just mean getting Klay and praying all the young guys heavily improve.

Team needs some vets, a proper big, another shooter/playmaker. Definitely need more shooting without losing the edge on defense. And for Dray to improve his shooting. Him literally not even bothering to try to score is slowing turning into a massive crutch during the last 5 minutes of the 4th. It's **** diabolical and adds all the pressure on everyone to cater to his passing.

He made some mistakes here and there, but he did more good than bad. I'd give him an 7.5/10 for his season. Bob needs to do something meaningful this summer though, be it drafts, vets or trades. Not getting Lamelo so far seems like a really poor move, I really, really hope Wiseman develops and balls out next season. Needs to significantly improve his defense, get a lot more rebounds and figure out a way how not to be an offensive crutch with the Chef and Klay.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 31, 2021 2:06 pm

Need an infusion of young quality coaching talent and ideas.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#67 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon May 31, 2021 2:27 pm

sonnyhill wrote:2. How was Nick Nurse able to outcoach Kerr by implementing-and-executing an box-and-one defense to neutralize Curry? How and why was Kerr not able to make adjustments from the bench?

is this a joke?
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#68 » by Impuniti » Mon May 31, 2021 2:51 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:2. How was Nick Nurse able to outcoach Kerr by implementing-and-executing an box-and-one defense to neutralize Curry? How and why was Kerr not able to make adjustments from the bench?

is this a joke?

Warriors had 6 of their top 8 guys injured in the final, probably the most lopsided injury-ridden finals ever for a team. Kerr would have been better to go on the court than having Cook brick his 10th wide open 3.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#69 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon May 31, 2021 4:51 pm

Impuniti wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:

is this a joke?

Warriors had 6 of their top 8 guys injured in the final, probably the most lopsided injury-ridden finals ever for a team. Kerr would have been better to go on the court than having Cook brick his 10th wide open 3.

The way Nick Nurse is still lauded as a top-3 coach on the GB just for designing a novel defensive scheme to beat a crippled Warriors team is disgusting. What has Nurse done since? The way they made no attempt to really compete this year I found jarring and yet not a peep of criticism of Nurse.

The scheme Kerr developed with the pace and space offense and switching defense was revolutionary 7 seasons ago, nobody except Pop did anything like it and now everybody does a version of it. Does Kerr get hailed as one of the great coaching minds? No, not even on the Warriors board. Even a large number of Warriors fans have forgotten how much Kerr has put his stamp on the NBA.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#70 » by and1GS » Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Need an infusion of young quality coaching talent and ideas.
As assistants? Or are you saying you'd prefer to gamble a bit on the next Brad Stevens as HC?
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#71 » by a8bil » Mon May 31, 2021 7:58 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:

is this a joke?
Most of this thread is a joke. Let's get Mike Montgomery back to coach...yay!
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#72 » by sonnyhill » Mon May 31, 2021 8:27 pm

and1GS wrote:I definitely don't think we should fire Kerr. For as much as some here seem to hate the guy, imagine he was Nate McMillan, Scott Brooks or Terry Stotts. All three are good coaches IMO, but do you win a title with any of them? Maybe make a nice run...but there's a ceiling. Steve's still the guy and the person far more on the hot seat is Myers IMO.

The points I will concede are:
1) Both Steve and the FO took a lazy approach to planning out the season after Klay got injured. They didn't seem to know if it was a rebuilding year or if we were one piece away from a title. As a result the plan seemed to be running the same system with a 'eh let's check back in later' attitude. You can't do that when you have the #2 pick and a top 3 player. Poole's development really saved them otherwise this would have been a disastrous year - and arguably they mismanaged Poole up and down for the entire year as well.

2) Steve was quite rigid to start the year. He wanted to play his style because motion basketball is beautiful. However, you can't teach calculus to remedial math students. If you try, you have Oubre standing on top of Steph and Bazemore in the top 15 for fouls per 36 minutes. Especially with such a cap strapped team, you need to maximize the talent you have by building a system to fit it. Later in the season he began to blend more basic PnR concepts and we'd see Wiseman in a more concentrated role, but we'll see if that carries over.

You bring some balance and objective perspective to this thread.

I do not see anyone advocating for Kerr being canned; however, it cannot be ignored that Kerr's mismanagement of his roster (by choosing to force Wiseman into the starting lineup as an unprepared 19-year old rookie instead of playing his best lineup both caused the Warriors to miss the playoffs as well as set back Wiseman's development.

Too much of the fanbase are drinking the "Kerr Kool-Aid" and fail to recognize how what was "state-of-the-art" and even "cutting-edge" when Kerr first arrived to coach the Warriors has been adopted and improved upon by the rest of the league. Can Kerr evolve and reinvent both himself and his coaching philosophy? His comments about "not chasing wins," while the team was fighting for a playoff spot tells me, no, he cannot because of both his personal ego and his elitist attitude (very unfair to Curry, Green and Looney this past season).

Sadly, the championship window for Curry, Thompson, and Green is now over, especially with Thompson now having to come back from two major injuries and the huge amount of the cap being allocated to Curry, Thompson, Wiggins and Green. It is time for Lacob, Guber and the front office to make some tough decisions about how to reinvent this franchise so that it can get back to championship form.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#73 » by xdrta+ » Mon May 31, 2021 8:41 pm

sonnyhill wrote:Too much of the fanbase are drinking the Kerr Kool-Aid and fail to recognize how what was state-of-the-art and cutting-edge when Kerr first arrived to coach the Warriors has been adopted and improved upon by the rest of the league. Can Kerr evolve and reinvent both himself and coaching philosophy? His comments about "not chasing wins," while the team was fighting for a playoff spot tells me, no, he cannot because of both his personal ego and his elitist attitude (very unfair to Curry, Green and Looney this past season).

A silly argument. Kerr said, ā€œWe're counting on having Steph here for a long time -- many, many years ahead. ... we're not throwing Steph out there for 40 minutes to chase wins."

This was back in February, not exactly during thick of the playoff race. I take it that you would have preferred to play Steph 40 minutes a night for the last three months of the season to try and secure a low playoff spot? I'm with Kerr on this one, that would have been foolish.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 31, 2021 9:04 pm

and1GS wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:Need an infusion of young quality coaching talent and ideas.
As assistants? Or are you saying you'd prefer to gamble a bit on the next Brad Stevens as HC?

On the bench but not HC. I think it's important to bring in different viewpoints regularly to keep things fresh and moving forward.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#75 » by sonnyhill » Mon May 31, 2021 9:09 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:Too much of the fanbase are drinking the Kerr Kool-Aid and fail to recognize how what was state-of-the-art and cutting-edge when Kerr first arrived to coach the Warriors has been adopted and improved upon by the rest of the league. Can Kerr evolve and reinvent both himself and coaching philosophy? His comments about "not chasing wins," while the team was fighting for a playoff spot tells me, no, he cannot because of both his personal ego and his elitist attitude (very unfair to Curry, Green and Looney this past season).

A silly argument. Kerr said, ā€œWe're counting on having Steph here for a long time -- many, many years ahead. ... we're not throwing Steph out there for 40 minutes to chase wins."

This was back in February, not exactly during thick of the playoff race. I take it that you would have preferred to play Steph 40 minutes a night for the last three months of the season to try and secure a low playoff spot? I'm with Kerr on this one, that would have been foolish.

Curry, being the highest paid player on the team, should be expected to embrace whatever it takes to win, get the team into the playoffs, push for a championship run AND put maximal effort in recruiting other stars, role players, veterans, etc. during the off season.

Kerr could have eased Wiseman into the rotation, helped the kid develop confidence, and given Wiseman a clearly defined role with the team. Wiseman's disjointed development, combined with a season-ending knee injury, and the team not making the playoffs is disrespectful to Curry, Green, and Looney; the ownership group; and the fanbase.

Kerr does deserve much credit for finding roles for both Poole and JTA in the rotation and for emphasizing defense for this past season's team.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#76 » by a8bil » Mon May 31, 2021 10:37 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Curry, being the highest paid player on the team, should be expected to embrace whatever it takes to win, get the team into the playoffs, push for a championship run AND put maximal effort in recruiting other stars, role players, veterans, etc. during the off season.

Kerr could have eased Wiseman into the rotation, helped the kid develop confidence, and given Wiseman a clearly defined role with the team. Wiseman's disjointed development, combined with a season-ending knee injury, and the team not making the playoffs is disrespectful to Curry, Green, and Looney; the ownership group; and the fanbase.

Kerr does deserve much credit for finding roles for both Poole and JTA in the rotation and for emphasizing defense for this past season's team.

Curry's game requires him to be running upwards of 6 miles per game. Doing "whatever it takes" is exactly not what he should be doing. His productivity will fall off a cliff if you run him more into the ground than they are already doing. Curry is only effective when his legs are fresh...they clearly weren't by the end of the season.

I love how the RGM pundits all like to view the season with 20/20 hindsight. Of course it made sense to sit Wiseman to allow an undersized G-league journeyman in JTA to get more valuable minutes. Come on...Kerr was working with patchwork and used the season to coax out credible performances from some pretty marginal NBA talent.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#77 » by Impuniti » Mon May 31, 2021 10:53 pm

The point with Wiseman, was he forced to start by the FO or did Kerr green light? I feel like we need to know this piece of information. I do agree with the sentiment that both coaching and FO looked clueless and out of sorts in the beginning of the season because they didn't know if they wanted this season to develop and call it a wash, or be as competitive as possible and see what happens once they make the playoffs.

I don't think any of Lacob, Bob, or Kerr knew it before the season.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#78 » by xdrta+ » Mon May 31, 2021 11:34 pm

Impuniti wrote:The point with Wiseman, was he forced to start by the FO or did Kerr green light? I feel like we need to know this piece of information. I do agree with the sentiment that both coaching and FO looked clueless and out of sorts in the beginning of the season because they didn't know if they wanted this season to develop and call it a wash, or be as competitive as possible and see what happens once they make the playoffs.

Not sure why we "need to know this piece of information." Klay was erased before the season, there were no summer workouts, hardly a training camp, none for Wiseman, and the opening of the season was basically training camp. It was a time to try things out, see what worked, learn if any of the patchwork players could become a team, etc. I don't think we can look back and criticize when it was all experimentation.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#79 » by Warriorfan » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:22 am

Yes Kerr Coaching responsible for all the injury and nothing to do in maxing Curry gravity
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:34 am

Impuniti wrote:The point with Wiseman, was he forced to start by the FO or did Kerr green light? I feel like we need to know this piece of information. I do agree with the sentiment that both coaching and FO looked clueless and out of sorts in the beginning of the season because they didn't know if they wanted this season to develop and call it a wash, or be as competitive as possible and see what happens once they make the playoffs.

I SERIOUSLY doubt the front office would tell Kerr what to do. Kerr has always been slow to change roles on the team. He will start players lower on the rotation just to keep the roles the same. He's very conscious of player health and which ones can take more run and which ones can't. I think he wanted Chriss to take that role to start the season but he struggled in the lead up to the season and Wiseman looked good in very limited time and that there was some value in him getting time with the 1s. Then Chriss went down before Wiseman's struggles really came on and that pushed the pressure on Wiseman up a little more.

People often discount the confidence needed to play professional sports, but it's critical. Kerr is pretty good at getting players there. It's actually player confidence that I think was Luke Walton's biggest strength as a coach.

The reality is that this 20-21 team lost a starter to injury for the year (Klay), had another miss prep time and start out of shape and injured (Green), then lost one of his top big men for the year (Chriss), had his top bench scorer miss near half the season with a string of injuries, the #2 pick missed half the season, the player they replaced the lost starter with (Oubre) missed a third of the games, the FA PG they hoped could run the team when Curry/Green were off the floor had his game fall apart.

And despite all of that they had a MVP, DPOY, and MIP finalists, they made the play-in, AND they developed their players and team chemistry.

Everybody knew them being contenders ended with Klay going down, but they were trying all the way through to the point of playing many games with the minimum healthy players.

Return to Golden State Warriors