ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai Year End Presser @ 10am

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,525

Re: Masai Year End Presser @ 10am 

Post#481 » by WaltFrazier » Sun May 30, 2021 5:22 pm

dTox wrote:It seems like Masai is in Africa this week for the launch of the Basketball Africa League, so I wouldn't be shocked if the negotiations haven't started until his return

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Anyone else have a problem with him being in Africa, when he could be here prepping for a crucial off-season? It's like he is a figurehead, or a guy with one foot out the door, and the Raptors are an after thought.

I'm sure some will say, Bobby and the others can be doing the off-season work now until Masai returns. But to me I'd like to see his full attention on the Raptors, not some other venture.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,525

Post#482 » by WaltFrazier » Sun May 30, 2021 5:26 pm

DangerZone13 wrote:I think the other thing we have to keep in mind is that Masai isn't negotiating money for himself, which would be in the 10's of millions. He's negotiating for broad-scale things to develop the team globally, and advocate with the league for equal treatment, which also takes money. He may also be wrapping support for his Africa projects into it. This all includes hiring more high-end people for these positions, international marketing campaigns, etc., which is more money and dedication from ownership than a typical Team President contract where its about pay and how much power they have.

Masai cannot say to MLSE, I demand that you make the NBA treat us like an elite US team. No amount of money and ownership lobbying can get around the fact we are in Canada. We will never be treated like the Lakers or Celtics or Knicks. It is what it is.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,339

Post#483 » by WuTang_OG » Sun May 30, 2021 5:27 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
dTox wrote:It seems like Masai is in Africa this week for the launch of the Basketball Africa League, so I wouldn't be shocked if the negotiations haven't started until his return

Anyone else have a problem with him being in Africa, when he could be here prepping for a crucial off-season? It's like he is a figurehead, or a guy with one foot out the door, and the Raptors are an after thought.

I'm sure some will say, Bobby and the others can be doing the off-season work now until Masai returns. But to me I'd like to see his full attention on the Raptors, not some other venture.

Whos to say he hasnt been though. He went there for a few days to celebrate a big step forward for the nba and africa. For sure he was going to go.
Gotta get his deal wrapped up in the next few weeks and put this all to bed.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,989

Post#484 » by DelAbbot » Sun May 30, 2021 6:10 pm

What if masai is in Africa on his vacation days off work?
WaltFrazier wrote:

alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#485 » by alienchild » Sun May 30, 2021 6:40 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

WTF? Where was Masai when he pulled off the Kawhi trade? In Africa not paying full attention. :crazy:
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
Preliudas
Senior
And1: 457

Post#486 » by Preliudas » Sun May 30, 2021 11:35 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

[/quote]

Lol. He is not some kind of welder that needs to be in his workplace to do his job. I mean we got phones, internet... you know.
Retro_Junkball
Senior
And1: 277

Post#487 » by Retro_Junkball » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:12 am

He's earned his next pay cheque (why'd I get spell checked)? He's got money and various opportunities, so he's going to take his liberties. He's got enough leverage in Toronto, that he's probably not going to get a better chance to lead a team, with control, at a higher salary. He might get an equally ridiculous salary in a bigger market (Knicks...they'd fire whomever).

MU is probably considering whether he wants to move beyond NBA. Ultimately, I think he realizes his goals probably align best with being a star GM for the near future. If he wants to extend his ambitions beyond the NBA, then the Raptors will probably respond. If his ambitions are NBA legacy, then maybe he goes to the Knicks (which would kill all his side-projects, make his life miserable, but possibly earn him more money and further cement his NBA legacy if he managed to overcome the Dolan curse).

I think he stays with the Raptors for a short-term deal. If anyone can overcome the Dolan curse, it's MU (Phil has failed), but I'd not wish that HE double hockey sticks on anyone.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,593

Post#488 » by Ackshun » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:11 am

WaltFrazier wrote:

Maybe it's his vacation time?
DangerZone13
Senior
And1: 681

Post#489 » by DangerZone13 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 6:43 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
DangerZone13 wrote:I think the other thing we have to keep in mind is that Masai isn't negotiating money for himself, which would be in the 10's of millions. He's negotiating for broad-scale things to develop the team globally, and advocate with the league for equal treatment, which also takes money. He may also be wrapping support for his Africa projects into it. This all includes hiring more high-end people for these positions, international marketing campaigns, etc., which is more money and dedication from ownership than a typical Team President contract where its about pay and how much power they have.

Masai cannot say to MLSE, I demand that you make the NBA treat us like an elite US team. No amount of money and ownership lobbying can get around the fact we are in Canada. We will never be treated like the Lakers or Celtics or Knicks. It is what it is.

That's why I listed that after the global development. If they can get whole countries wearing Raptors gear in the way you see Lakers gear in the Philippines, yeah, MLSE would have some bargaining power with the league. Yuta's jersey sales in Japan for example, could be capitalized on and expanded through further marketing of the rest of the team. Masai likely wants to make sure a lot of Raptors jerseys are seen around BAL games. There's a lot of ground they could cover.

Yes, the Raptors are in Canada, and can't be the Lakers or Knicks because they aren't an American team in America, with ages of history behind them. But they can be the Toronto Raptors, international force. Realistically, still a step below in league support than those teams you're listing because it's an American league, but at least treated equally to the non-darling teams. That is indeed a goal that can be accomplished, and from the press conference, that's what I take from it that Masai wants. We need a star to get us all the way there, but that's no reason to not start the groundwork.
:banghead: "Calling out trolls" by quoting them makes YOU part of the problem to those wise enough to use the Ignore button. Please don't add to board pollution.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,432

Post#490 » by mtcan » Tue Jun 1, 2021 6:48 pm

DangerZone13 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

That's why I listed that after the global development. If they can get whole countries wearing Raptors gear in the way you see Lakers gear in the Philippines, yeah, MLSE would have some bargaining power with the league. Yuta's jersey sales in Japan for example, could be capitalized on and expanded through further marketing of the rest of the team. Masai likely wants to make sure a lot of Raptors jerseys are seen around BAL games. There's a lot of ground they could cover.

Yes, the Raptors are in Canada, and can't be the Lakers or Knicks because they aren't an American team in America, with ages of history behind them. But they can be the Toronto Raptors, international force. Realistically, still a step below in league support than those teams you're listing because it's an American league, but at least treated equally to the non-darling teams. That is indeed a goal that can be accomplished, and from the press conference, that's what I take from it that Masai wants. We need a star to get us all the way there, but that's no reason to not start the groundwork.

Global marketing ensures increased viewership and more lucrative endorsement opportunities for our players...and in doing so would certainly offset the hit on the wallet from taxes and improve the overall perception of the team and city.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#491 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Jun 1, 2021 7:49 pm

He could also be speaking about growing Womens basketball here in Canada with a WNBA team. Maybe thats another part of his vision he wants MLSE to invest in.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#492 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Jun 1, 2021 7:52 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

Umm Zoom exists, phone calls exist, conference calls exist. He doesn't need to be there in person. His scouts are still probably evaluating the talent in the draft and debriefing him regularly. I'm sure he'll be there once the draft workouts begin.
Yeezy SZN approaching
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,561

Post#493 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 7:56 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Umm Zoom exists, phone calls exist, conference calls exist. He doesn't need to be there in person. His scouts are still probably evaluating the talent in the draft and debriefing him regularly. I'm sure he'll be there once the draft workouts begin.

Nor does his statement give credence to all the work he definitely has done already.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
CAA
Freshman
And1: 73

Post#494 » by CAA » Tue Jun 1, 2021 8:12 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

Absolutely not. CEOs and high level executives operate within cerebral constraints, not geographical ones. Masai can be wherever he pleases.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,086

Post#495 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 11:16 pm

Read on Twitter
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,600

Post#496 » by C_Money » Wed Jun 2, 2021 9:23 pm

There’s no rumours of Masai going to another team, not even Washington. I think teams know there’s a very good chance he’s staying with us.
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#497 » by MavCarter » Wed Jun 2, 2021 9:29 pm

C_Money wrote:There’s no rumours of Masai going to another team, not even Washington. I think teams know there’s a very good chance he’s staying with us.

To be fair washingtons offseason hasn't started yet. One of the reasons i think this is taking so long
#Enjoytheride
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,324

Post#498 » by D.Brasco » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:51 am

Would Massai be down with a rebuild? I don't feel like he would. I feel he would try to make trades to keep the Raptors at least playoff contenders if he stays.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,339

Post#499 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:08 am

From Toronto to Washington? Lol
Washington is a hole to live in.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,086

Post#500 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:58 am

C_Money wrote:There’s no rumours of Masai going to another team, not even Washington. I think teams know there’s a very good chance he’s staying with us.

It just occurred to me today is that in Toronto, Masai not only has cap space, draft picks and no horrible contracts (e.g. Westbrook). He has the reigning COY, elite scouting led by Dan Tolzman, an elite capologist in Bobby Webster. And Alex McKechnie.

And he has signed up all up for the next few years (at least Bobby and Nick, maybe the others). Masai can't take them with him. Why would he leave this situation? These guys (and the gals) are the best at what they do, so any other NBA team would be a downgrade.

I really, really can't see Masai leaving. And if he was, we'd know it by now.

Return to Toronto Raptors