ImageImageImageImageImage

East 1st Round - Game #4: 76ers @ Bullets 7 PM (TNT/NBCSW/1500 AM)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

WILL THIS BE BROOKS' LAST GAME IN DC?

HELL YES!
67%
NOT POSSIBLE!
33%

Total votes: 6

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: East 1st Round - Game #4: 76ers @ Bullets 7 PM (TNT/NBCSW/1500 AM) - BYE BROOKS! 

Post#141 » by miller31time » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:52 am

dlts20 wrote:You guys worry about Embiid too much. He's not a bigger issue than Westbrook. Even if Embiid plays, we can win if Russ ever finds his groove again. I'm not one of those guys who think that this is playoff Russ or that he will never play well against Philly. He is just out of his groove. If he finds it then we will look like a totally different team and can win even against Embiid. As good as he is, him and Ben are totally mentally weak. They will fold if you apply pressure and no one brings pre like Russ when he is on. The time is now Russ

It’s not a coincidence that Westbrook went from MVP-level to his current production - he’s being guarded by phenomenal defenders in Simmons and Green. They’re quick enough to cut off his lanes when he normally blows by his defender and they’re strong enough that he can’t just out-muscle them for bully-ball twos.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 870

Re: East 1st Round - Game #4: 76ers @ Bullets 7 PM (TNT/NBCSW/1500 AM) - BYE BROOKS! 

Post#142 » by badinage » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:58 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Not a sweep. Surprised but it’s only because Embiid went out.

Can we all stop it with this kind of horseshxt?

No offense, CCJ; I really enjoy your posts and your personality and your heart, in all that you contribute on here.

But I mean ... yeah, so? Bertans was out, too. And TB. And Westbrook is injured. And Beal is all banged up.

Philly played really well.

And we kicked their asxes off the goddaxn court.

Exult.

It doesn’t have to be pretty. Or dominating. It doesn’t have to prove anything. It just has to be a win.

And it was.

And it’s glorious.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 364

Post#143 » by Silvie Lysandra » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:02 am

dcstanley wrote:Westbrook really went 3/19. Crazy how ineffective he is in this series compared to just a few weeks ago. Say what you want about Wall but his play always improved in the postseason.

Because he's a gimmick player. He needs lots of spacing and high pace. You can get that in the regular season. But he's really bad at creating in the half court, especially against elite perimeter defenders.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#144 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:09 am

Look embid is clearly the best player on the court take him away and these teams are rather even. When two even teams play it comes down to grit and we have that in buckets.

It's not a slight to say we have a better chance with embid out. It's just the facts. Yes the team played well really well tonight good on them. Also give credit to brooks for, albeit a game late, making some good adjustments !
But the fact stands we can come back and win if embid isn't at 100%
badinage wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Not a sweep. Surprised but it’s only because Embiid went out.

No offense, CCJ; I really enjoy your posts and your personality and your heart, in all that you contribute on here.

But I mean ... yeah, so? Bertans was out, too. And TB. And Westbrook is injured. And Beal is all banged up.

Exult.

It doesn’t have to be pretty. Or dominating. It doesn’t have to prove anything. It just has to be a win.

And it was.

And it’s glorious.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,113

Post#145 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:24 am

Chaos Revenant wrote:
dcstanley wrote:Westbrook really went 3/19. Crazy how ineffective he is in this series compared to just a few weeks ago. Say what you want about Wall but his play always improved in the postseason.

Because he's a gimmick player. He needs lots of spacing and high pace. You can get that in the regular season. But he's really bad at creating in the half court, especially against elite perimeter defenders.

I don't agree. He got a lot of looks that he gets in the regular season. He's just ice cold. The lane has certainly shrunken, but Philly is a unique team and a bad matchup for Russ. Not saying he doesn't have his flaws, buts he was missing some shots the he can knock down, albeit inconsistenly.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Re: East 1st Round - Game #4: 76ers @ Bullets 7 PM (TNT/NBCSW/1500 AM) 

Post#146 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:30 am

It's also worth noting, that play off basket ball tightens up. The defences are better because the better players are playing more minutes so Russ has less miss matches to exploite.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
BrianInPhilly
Senior
And1: 675

Post#147 » by BrianInPhilly » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:39 am

I criticized Rui heavily after the last game but I'll give him his props tonight. Really came to play with a lot of energy/passion. He took it personal against Harris & took it upon himself to stay in front of him. Even blocked him!

Hope the team continues to play with a lot of energy/activity in Philly. Will be so important to continue to play active/aggressive while at the same avoiding those silly fouls from the Bigs. You know if Embiid plays in Game 5, Sixers are gonna' go back to trying to play bully ball. Wizards have to mentally recognize that & continue to "hit first" so-to speak.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#148 » by dlts20 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:47 am

miller31time wrote:
dlts20 wrote:You guys worry about Embiid too much. He's not a bigger issue than Westbrook. Even if Embiid plays, we can win if Russ ever finds his groove again. I'm not one of those guys who think that this is playoff Russ or that he will never play well against Philly. He is just out of his groove. If he finds it then we will look like a totally different team and can win even against Embiid. As good as he is, him and Ben are totally mentally weak. They will fold if you apply pressure and no one brings pre like Russ when he is on. The time is now Russ

It’s not a coincidence that Westbrook went from MVP-level to his current production - he’s being guarded by phenomenal defenders in Simmons and Green. They’re quick enough to cut off his lanes when he normally blows by his defender and they’re strong enough that he can’t just out-muscle them for bully-ball twos.

Not true and that's my point. He had a dominant stretch but already lost his hand before the playoffs started. I came into game 1 posting that Russ is due for a hot stretch. I'm hoping that can still happen
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#149 » by DCZards » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:07 am

Russ had 19 pts, 21 rebs and 14 assists. He was 13-16 from the FT line.

I think that’s a damn good game...regardless of his FG%.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#150 » by WallToWall » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:15 am

DCZards wrote:Russ had 19 pts, 21 rebs and 14 assists. He was 13-16 from the FT line.

A triple double is always a good game. Given his recent FT's, 13/16 on FTs is great. IF he had gone 3/10 shooting, then maybe it can be overlooked. Maybe. But this was 3/19, and 0/4 from 3-point land. That's hard to overlook.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#151 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jun 1, 2021 5:16 am

badinage wrote:

Exult.

And it was.

And it’s glorious.

I’ve been very cynical.

Thanks for letting me know how you feel.
Bye bye Beal.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#152 » by queridiculo » Tue Jun 1, 2021 8:32 am

So, Westbrook is due for a fluke good shooting night right? Right???
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#153 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:52 pm

I disagree. Embiid was the biggest factor in all 3 Philly wins. He's probably the most dominant offensive player in the NBA when healthy. And even though he hasn't been aggressive defensively this series, his presence makes a big difference, and he comes up with excellent defense when they need him to. If they don't have Embiid, it makes a huge difference.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#154 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:43 pm

WallToWall wrote:
DCZards wrote:Russ had 19 pts, 21 rebs and 14 assists. He was 13-16 from the FT line.

A triple double is always a good game. Given his recent FT's, 13/16 on FTs is great. IF he had gone 3/10 shooting, then maybe it can be overlooked. Maybe. But this was 3/19, and 0/4 from 3-point land. That's hard to overlook.

Russ had a weird game, obviously, but overall it was a good enough outing that we won.

If you want to think about how to evaluate it, imagine that he'd gone 3 -13 instead of 3-19 -- but he hadn't had any offensive rebounds at all. The effect is about the same.

Rui had a tremendous game -- by far his best game as a pro. Here's hoping it's a coming-out party!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dlts20
RealGM

Post#155 » by dlts20 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:

I disagree. Embiid was the biggest factor in all 3 Philly wins. He's probably the most dominant offensive player in the NBA when healthy. And even though he hasn't been aggressive defensively this series, his presence makes a big difference, and he comes up with excellent defense when they need him to. If they don't have Embiid, it makes a huge difference.

Don't get it twisted, I'm the biggest Embiid fan there is and he is truly dominant but as I always say, you can't win if your stars suck. It's not just that Embiid is dominant. It's that Russ is shoooting 2-19. If we get an efficient 26-34pts then we can win even with Embiid playing well but Russ has shot bad for like 10 straight games now after that hot stretch. That's why I keep saying that he's due for another but instead he gets worse every game... Lol
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,879

Post#156 » by Frichuela » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:38 pm

Truth be told, Russ and Brad are shooting like crap this series:

Westbrook: 33% FG, 20% 3PT, 79% FT.
Beal: 46% FG, 20% 3PT, 81% FT.

It's very difficult to win when your two star players shoot like that...Maybe both get hot and we can win more games...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#157 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:47 pm

dlts20 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Don't get it twisted, I'm the biggest Embiid fan there is and he is truly dominant but as I always say, you can't win if your stars suck. It's not just that Embiid is dominant. It's that Russ is shoooting 2-19. If we get an efficient 26-34pts then we can win even with Embiid playing well but Russ has shot bad for like 10 straight games now after that hot stretch. That's why I keep saying that he's due for another but instead he gets worse every game... Lol

I didn't twist anything. We won with Westbrook shooting terribly and Beal playing a very sloppy game. If Embiid plays, Philly's better than we are, and we'd generally need super-human efforts to win.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#158 » by DCZards » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:53 pm

Fun game to be at last night. That sequence near the end of the 1st qtr where Lopez blocked Embiid's shot and Bertans nailed a 3 on the other end (off a great feed from Rui, btw) sent a charge through the arena that was there the rest of the game.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#159 » by dlts20 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:01 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dlts20 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I disagree. Embiid was the biggest factor in all 3 Philly wins. He's probably the most dominant offensive player in the NBA when healthy. And even though he hasn't been aggressive defensively this series, his presence makes a big difference, and he comes up with excellent defense when they need him to. If they don't have Embiid, it makes a huge difference.

I didn't twist anything. We won with Westbrook shooting terribly and Beal playing a very sloppy game. If Embiid plays, Philly's better than we are, and we'd generally need super-human efforts to win.

Since April 1st we've been better than anyone in the East until this series. That's 2 months. That's not a short stretch and it's no coincidence that's when Russ looked like Goatbrook. I still think that our fans underrate us but Philly is going to suck if Embiid sucks, LA will suck if LeBron sucks, and so on. Idk why people keep dismissing that aspect. If Russ is efficient with at least 26pts then we will be in the game no matter what Embiid does
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,761

Post#160 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:18 pm

I would be shocked if Embiid plays. I think the way Doc sees it: they got 3 chances to win 1 game, 2 of those chances are at home. If they close it out Game 5, they are probably getting what...4 days of additional rest? So I could see him sitting tomorrow.

The frustration I have is that Game 1 was a winnable game. If everything happened the exact same way, we're tied up at 2.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.

Return to Washington Wizards